The Best Friends

A Slight Ounce of Hope

Chapter 14

Dongwoon approached Samantha immediately upon seeing her. “What the hell happened last night?”

“Way to greet your best friend,” she said dryly.

“Are you okay?” Dongwoon asked.

“News sure travels fast around here,” she muttered.

“Are you going to answer my question or what?” he stood in front of her crossing his arms.

“Yes, I do plan on answering your question,” she said. “I’m just putting off telling you until,” she looked at the three guys who were with her, “they leave.”

“See you later, Sam,” Jihoon said then turned to Dongwoon. “You too, Dongwoon, see you around.”

“Alright bye, Jihoon hyung,” Dongwoon nodded his farewell to the soloist.

Minhyuk and Eunkwang gave Samantha a reassuring pat on the back, “Okay see you in a bit, Sam,” Eunkwang said to her then turned to Dongwoon. “Good to see you, Dongwoon.”

“Work hard, hyungs!” Dongwoon greeted them as they left. When he knew they were gone, he immediately turned to Samantha. “Alright, spill the beans. You’re not leaving until you tell me what happened.”

“Okay, I’ll give you my side of the story but don’t say anything to anyone else, promise?” she asked.

He drew an X over his heart. “I promise,” he said.

“Yesterday was my day off and I decided to spend the day with the guys,” she started off. “I didn’t know Minhyuk and Eunkwang were so eager to go to the club so as an obligation, I went with them. Believe me when I told them ‘no’ because I was strongly against it knowing this had ‘trouble’ written all over it. And what do you know? That’s exactly what happened. They both wandered off,” she said deciding to leave out the part where Minhyuk almost made another move on her, “thus leaving me alone. Wanting to escape from the congested room, I decided to head to the bathroom. On the way to the bathroom, I spotted Jihoon at a booth. He saw me and made me promise not to say anything to anyone. Then after the bathroom, I returned to the bar and some idiot thought he could get into my pants by buying me a drink and trying to get me to join him in the VIP section. I tried to be polite by saying ‘no’ but he didn’t like it so he yanked me by the arm, Jihoon stepped in and then the other two joined in… You can figure out the rest.”

Dongwoon’s mouth was agape. “Are you okay?” he asked after a long silence.

“I’m fine,” she said sighing. “I took the blame for what happened last night because they did something no one’s ever done before… They stood up for me. This is the least I can do, you know. I promise it won’t happen again.”

“Well, I’m glad you’re okay,” he said. “Honestly, those three did the right thing. I heard the guy said you were worthless. No girl deserves to be spoken to that way. I would have done the same thing if I was there.” He clenched his fist in anger.

“Calm down, dude,” Samantha placed a hand on his arm looking around, “Anyways, I have to get back to work so talk to me later…”

“Alright, I’ll text you later,” he nodded. “Bye Sam,” he said then they parted ways.

 

Wanna meet up like last time?

Samantha read the text from Ailee. Due to her suspension, she wasn’t allowed to leave without supervision. Sighing she wrote a reply: “I can’t tonight. L

Ailee: What? Why not?

Samantha: I got into some trouble and I’ve been sentenced to house arrest.

Ailee: When is your sentence over?

Samantha: In a month… If I were to go out, I’d have to bring someone with me.

Ailee: Bring one of the guys with you. Please! :D

Samantha: Grrr >.< I’ll figure something out. Don’t get your hopes up.

Ailee: ^_^

Samantha rolled her eyes after she closed her phone and came out of her room. Looking around, she spotted Peniel in the kitchen as he looked through the cupboards for a snack and approached him. “Yes?” he eyed her suspiciously.

“Wanna take me somewhere?” she gave him a cheeky grin.

“I thought you weren’t allowed to go anywhere,” he said.

“Not unless someone comes with me,” she pointed out.

“Yeah… but why me of all people?” he asked suspiciously.

“Because if I remembered correctly, you told me to bring you along wherever I go,” she said matter-of-factly.

“Point taken,” he replied casually. “Where were you going?” asked curiously.

 

“So we’re sneaking out of the dorm just so you can come to the convenience store?” he asked as they browsed around the nearby store.

“I need to pick up some girl stuff if you know what I mean,” she said as they entered the feminine hygiene aisle. She got what she needed and proceeded to look for him.

Down the same aisle, Peniel stood in front of the contraceptives and gave Samantha a mischievous smirk. “What the hell do you think you’re doing?” she asked, not liking where this was going. “Get out of there, people are gonna think we’re here together!” she hissed.

“But we did come together!” he exclaimed loudly garnering the attention of other customers. Samantha groaned then turned to leave. “If you leave, I’ll make it even more embarrassing for you.”

She sneered at him then decided to call his bluff, “They ran out of extra smalls, did you want me to get the regulars instead?” he exclaimed loudly then snickered as he ducked behind the aisle.

Samantha cleared and walked off trying to avoid him. When they were outside, Peniel was still cracking up at what just happened. “I’m gonna punch you in the face,” she gritted her teeth.

He stopped laughing. “Come on, Sam,” he said. “That was pretty funny. You have to admit it.”

“No, it wasn’t,” she hissed. “Now everyone thinks I’m some !”

“Who’s a ?” a voice interrupted. It was Ailee wearing a disguise.

“No one,” Samantha answered. “Some idiot decided he wanted to humiliate me in the convenience store by asking me what kind of condoms to buy.”

“That was you?!” Ailee exclaimed then started cracking up.

“See? She thinks it’s funny,” Peniel pointed out joining her.

Samantha stood dumbfounded at her two friends. “You guys are so cruel,” she muttered.

Soon the laughter died down. “Right, I don’t think we met,” Ailee said extending her hand to Peniel. “I’m Amy, by the way. You can call me Ailee, if you want.”

“I know who you are, Ailee,” Peniel shook her hand. “My group and I did a cover of ‘Heaven’. Good song! My name’s Peniel.”

“Oh right! You’re from BTOB!” Ailee beamed. “Good job on the cover!”

“Thanks,” he smiled then turned to Samantha who was pacing back and forth waiting for them. “Someone’s impatient,” he muttered.

“Alright, princess, what’s the plan?” Samantha asked Ailee.

“Geez, you are impatient,” Ailee commented.

Peniel scoffed. “Try living with her,” he muttered.

“She’s not giving you a hard time is she?” Ailee asked.

“Hey!” Samantha yelled. “I’m right here!”

“You missed out on the funny stuff,” Peniel smirked looking at Samantha.

“Like what?!” Ailee’s eyes went wide then turned to her best friend. “No way! What happened?!”

“Did you see what you just did?” Samantha glared at Peniel. “I’d rather not relive those humiliating moments.”

“Sam, I’m your best friend!” Ailee complained. “You can tell me!”

“Not now,” Samantha groaned. “Can we head someplace else? I’m feeling a little antsy at the moment…”

 

They settled at the 24 hour café. “You know who I forgot to invite?!” Ailee exclaimed.

“Who?” Samantha wondered.

“Dongwoon!” she answered. “I should text him right now.”

“Right,” Samantha nodded. “I totally forgot about him.”

“This’ll be like the times we used to get together every weekend,” Ailee thought aloud. “I miss those days.”

“Me too,” Samantha agreed. “Hurry up and call him before my coffee gets cold.”

“Alright,” Ailee took out her phone to text their best friend. When she was done, she set her phone down and sipped her drink eyeing Samantha and Peniel.

“How did you two meet?” Ailee asked hoping to break the silence.

Samantha and Peniel glanced at one another. “Well, we bumped into each other at the airport,” Peniel cleared his throat sipping his drink.

“Uh-huh, interesting,” Ailee noted. “Sounds like something I’ve heard before. I’m guessing it was love at first sight and you two can’t get enough of each other?”

“NO!” they both exclaimed in unison.

“Are you kidding me?” Peniel complained. “I’ve never met someone who whines so much. Drives me crazy,” he twirled his finger around his head.

“Says the one who humiliated me in the convenience store not too long ago,” Samantha glared at him.

“Hey!” he yelled back at her. “You got yourself into it. There’s no way out!”

“You know, I still haven’t punched you in the face yet,” she curled her fists at him.

“Whoa! What did I miss?” a voice interrupted. It was Dongwoon.

“Just two people arguing like husband and wife,” Ailee smirked looking over at Dongwoon.

 

Hello again! Here's another update! This time I decided to wing it... On the bright side Ailee and Dongwoon make an appearance once again.