Key's Story

Gangs Of Seoul: Origins (Prequel to Gangs of Seoul)

A white limo drove through large golden security gates into a neighborhood filled with large two and three story mansions. Inside the limo a 15 year old boy was listening to his ipod starring outside the window. The boy had a frown on his face that seemed to never disappear. There was a fading scratch on his left cheek.

The song changed and the boy looked at his ipod. The screen was cracked. He turned off his ipod and stuck the device into his pocket not bothering to remove his earphones.

The limo slowly came to a stop in front of one of the larger mansions deep inside the neighborhood. The driver exited the limo and opened the door for the boy. The boy exited exited the car. He slung his bag over his should and walked into the mansion.

"Master Kibum, welcome home." A few butlers and two rows of maids greeted the boy.
"It's Key." The boy reminded.
"I'm sorry Master Key." The head butler apologized with a deep bow. "Sir, your father left for a business trip to New York this morning and will not be returning until next week Monday. Also your mother is still at the office and she plans to spend the night. She asks that you eat dinner by yourself tonight." He informed.
"Thank you." Key sighed.

Key walked up a flight of stairs. He passed a few maids that were cleaning. When they saw him they instantly stopped and bowed to Key. Key nodded to the maids before continuing to his room.

In his room Key took out his school books and placed them on his desk. The books were covered with graffiti and filled with writings like "your rich so such on a ," "you're gay, so go die," and many more hurtful words and phrases. Key sat down and began his homework.

A few hours later a maid called Key down for dinner. Key quietly walked to the large dinning room with a table for 10 set for one person. Key sat down and ate a silent and lonely dinner like he did for the last 10 years. It was rare that his family would join him for dinner.

After his meal Key went back to his room. He laid on his bed staring at the ceiling as he listened to music. His cell phone rang. Key excitedly grabbed his phone. He already knew who the caller was because it was the only person that would ever call him.

"Hello?" Key answered the call happily. "Woohyun?"

Woohyun was Key's math tutor. He was a senior, two years older than Key. Woohyun was assigned to be Key's tutor for the semester as credits towards his graduation. Woohyun was also one of the kingkas and the only person at school who was nice to him.

"Okay. I won't forget to bring the book. Thanks, I'll see you tomorrow." Key hung up the phone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next day Key arrived at school. As usual he quietly walked to his class trying to avoid everyone as he walked. In class Key sat at his graffitified desk in the middle of the room. Throughout the lecture the kids in the back of the room would through things at his head.

"So rich boy, where's that new iphone I wanted." The bully of the class, Junhyung, approached Key after the teacher had left for the lunch break.
"Also my new diamond heart necklace from Tiffany's." Junhyung's girlfriend Hyuna leaned on Key's desk sticking her s and out for the world to see.

A four more of Junhyung's friends and their girlfriends gathered around Key. They shooed away the students that were near Key's desk and sat on the desks. One boy had the nerve to put his feet up on Key's desk. They all continued to order expensive things that they wanted from Key.

"S-s-s-sorry. I don't h-h-have it." Key stuttered.
"Awww, but we want it. Get it by tomorrow. Do you understand?" Junhyung slung his arm around Key's neck. "You're our best friend and best friends have each other's backs. Remember what happened last week. You want the same thing to happen again?" Junhyung whispered into Key's ear.
"No." Key mumbled.

Last week Key refused to give Junhyung and his friends answers his homework for them to copy. After school had finished they took Key outside behind the gym and beat him up before taking Key's homework and money.

"Good." Junhyung smiled. "Then I'll be expecting out presents tomorrow."

Junhyung and his group of friends walked away from Key. Key took a breath of relief. He grabbed his bag and quietly snuck out of the classroom. He was looking for a quiet place to eat without anyone disturbing him.

Key accidentally walked by the senior kingkas as he was looking for a quiet place to eat. Unfortunately Woohyun wasn't with them. It was only Sunggyu, Sungyeol, Dongwoo, Hoya, and Sungjong. Sunggyu spotted Key.

"Key. Come here." Sunggyu called him.

Key bowed and walked over to them. Unlike Junhyung's group of bullies the kingkas were a bit nicer, but they still had the same intentions as Junhyung. They only were nice to Key because Key was rich and they wanted him to treat them to food or buy them stuff.

"Key did you eat yet?" Sungyeol asked.
Key shook his head. "No."
"Well come eat with us." Hoya pat the seat next to him.

Key hesitated, but Sungjong pulled him over to the seat and forced him to sit down. They all watched Key as they waited for him to take out his lunch.

"Aren't you taking out your food?" Sungyeol asked.
"Oh yeah." Key replied.

Key took out his lunch box. He put it on the table next to the kingka's lunch boxes. There was an obvious difference in the munch boxes. Key's lunch box was filled with luxurious, expensive food while the kingka's lunch boxes were filled with typical fast foods or kimchee and rice.

"Wah~!" The kingka's eyes widened as they saw the food.
"Can I have some? You can eat some of mine." Sunggyu asked.

Without wait for permission Sunggyu and Sungyeol took a bite of Key's food. The other kingka's soon followed and began taking Key's food. Before Key knew it his food was gone and so was the kingka's.

"Thanks for sharing Key. Let's share food again tomorrow." They told Key.
"Oh, by the way my birthday is next week Saturday at Club Rain. You're coming right?" Sunggyu asked.
"Sure." Key replied.
"Don't forget to bring a present. You can't show up without a present." Sungjong reminded.

Key nodded and quickly left. While Key was leaving he caught a glimpse of Woohyun and L going the kingkas.

"What happened here? Why is Sungyeol so happy?" L asked as he slung his arm around Sungyeol.
"Key just came by to share lunch with us." Sunggyu replied.
"He did?" Woohyun asked looking around.
"He just left." Sunggyu replied.
"Oh." Woohyun stopped looking and sat down beside Sunggyu.

Sunggyu leaned on Woohyun's shoulder as Woohyun slipped his hand around Sunggyu's waist.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After school ended he quickly packed his things and ran out of the classroom before Junhyung or the kingkas could catch him. Key ran to the library for his tutoring session. He sat down in the back corner table.

"You're early." Woohyun said as he walked towards the table.
"I'm always early." Key replied.
"I heard the boys gave you a hard time." Woohyun sat down by Key.
"It's okay." Key took out his math notes.
"Sorry, L and I were called in by Mr Park about the tutoring sessions." Woohyun explained. "He was reminding us that today is our last session."

Key frowned. He didn't want the sessions to end because one the tutoring ended Woohyun wouldn't really hang out with him, so he wouldn't have anyone to talk to at school.

Woohyun saw the frown on Key's face. "Hey if you still need help with math I can help you anytime. We can continue the sessions if you like. The only thing is that I won't be getting a grade." Woohyun laughed.
"That'd be nice." Key smiled.
"Alright then." Woohyun opened the math book. "Let's study."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Three weeks had gone by since that day Woohyun promised to continue tutoring Key. Key continued to suffer from Junhyung's bullying and the kingka's need for attention. Junhyung's group had stolen Key's new ipod that he bought to replace the ipod that Junhyung had cracked. Junhyung also stole money, broke Key's phone, and beat him up a few times as well. The kingkas somehow found Key after school one day and forced Key to treat them to expensive food. Key was also forced to buy Sunggyu a birthday present and attend the club party which he didn't want to attend.

Things at home were no better for Key. When he came home with bruises, a bleeding lip, and a sprained ankle his mother didn't care and just told him to see a doctor as she was busy with clients. His father also didn't care and went on a second business trip as soon as he came back. His mother also went on a business trip without informing Key leaving him alone in the mansion.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"So we're studying here?" Key asked Woohyun.
"Yup. I asked the janitor to keep it open so we could study." Woohyun replied.

Key looked around the classroom. It was Woohyun's class. The senior classrooms were built slightly different from the underclassmen's. The desks and chairs were modified so that the student could study more comfortably. The teacher's desk was also larger and had a cushioned spinning chair.

Key and Woohyun began studying. As Key concentrated on the math problems Woohyun kept taking glances at Key. Woohyun glanced at the clock on the wall it was 6pm.

"I'm going to the bathroom. I'll be back." Woohyun told Key.

Woohyun went outside. He ran to the teacher's lounge to check if any teachers were around. Much to Woohyun's luck they were gone.

Woohyun returned to the classroom. He closed the door and locked it. He walked to the other door and locked it as well.

Woohyun slowly approached Key. "Why don't we take a break." Woohyun wrapped his arms around Key's waist and leaned on Key's shoulder.
Key jumped at the touch. "Sorry. I didn't hear you."
"Let's take a break." Woohyun whispered into Key's ear.
"Ummm sure." Key stood up and moved away from Woohyun.

Key was getting uncomfortable. Woohyun was acting strange.

"I'm going to get some water. I'll be back." Key headed for the door.
Woohyun grabbed the doorknob just before Key. "Where do you think you're going? You're not going anywhere."

Woohyun pushed Key against the door, grinding his hips onto Key's as he forcefully captured Key's lips. Key struggled to get away but was powerless to the older and muscular Woohyun.

"Please don't do this." Key pushed Woohyun.
Woohyun grabbed Key and threw him onto the floor, jumping on top of the poor boy. "You don't know how long I've wanted to do this."

Woohyun began stripping Key of his school uniform. Key tried to kick and punch Woohyun off, but nothing seemed to work. Key screamed for help. Woohyun slapped Key's cheek.

"Scream all you want. There's no one here." Woohyun laughed. "It's just you and me."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Since that day Woohyun abused Key daily, forcing Key to satisfy himself much to Key's dismay. Every night Key would go home and Key himself to sleep. The one person that made Key smile and want continue living in his dull and broken life turned into one of those that were making him broken.

After two weeks of daily abusement from Woohyun, Junhyung, and the kingkas, and no help from his parents Key was on the edge. Key was broken in the inside and outside. His light in the dark vanished leaving him blind. Key hated going to school and hating going home. There was no place for him anywhere.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Key painfully watched from the floor as Woohyun left the janitor's closet. Woohyun had shut the door, but Key could still hear what was happening outside. A short while after exiting the closet Woohyun was greeted by his boyfriend Sunggyu, who was oblivious to the fact that Woohyun was Key on a daily basis.

"Owww." Key held his elbow, which he had injured from being thrown on the floor when Woohyun was abusing him.

Key grabbed his clothes and put them on, not bothering to make his unform straight. He limped out of the closet. Through the window he could see the sun starting to set.

Key slowly made his way to the rooftop. I can't take this anymore. It hurts. I shouldn't be here.

Key stood at the edge of the building. All thought of living was gone and All he wanted to do was end the pain.

Key looked at the ground. He was 5 stories high, but the ground seemed too close. Key wondered if the ground would kill him or if he should find a higher building. Key decided that the school building would do. If he had lived then he would just find a higher building next time.

Key took a deep breath. He took a step off the building. He felt like he was flying for a moment before his body jerked to a stop. Something had grabbed his wrist preventing him from falling to the ground. Key looked up to see an unfamiliar boy around his age holding onto his wrist.

"Let me go!!!" Key shouted as he tried to pry the boy's hands off his wrist. "Let me die!!"
"What ever it is it's not worth dying." The boy said.

The boy was much stronger than Key and pulled him up back onto the building.

"Why didn't you let me die?!" Key shouted at the boy. "Let me die!!"

Key ran for the edge of the building again. The boy grabbed Key once again preventing Key from getting near the edge. The boy wrapped his arms around Key.

Key punched the boy's chest. "Let me die. Please let me die." Key cried.

The boy refused to let Key go. Key found himself crying into the stranger's chest. The boy gently pat Key's back, comforting him.

Suddenly Key realized what he was doing. He pushed the boy back and ran for the edge. The boy quickly scrambled back onto his feet. Before Key could reach the edge the boy grabbed Key's shoulder and turned him around. The boy punched Key's stomach. Key lost the wind in his stomach and doubled over in pain unconsciously onto the boy. The boy panicked for a moment before putting Key onto his back and leaving the school.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Hey where are we going?" Key asked his savior, Jonghyun.
"There should be an alley somewhere over there." Jonghyun replied.
"Over where?" Key asked. "I don't see any. Wait why are we staying in an alley? I though we usually stayed under bridges or at the beach."
"Onew said that there aren't any bridges or beaches here." Jonghyun replied. "And we can't stay at the subways or normal homeless handouts because people will attack Jessica."
"Oh, that's right." Key said.

After that near suicide incident Key had decided to live with Jonghyun, his sister Jessica, and their friend Onew. The three were traveling homeless people, but Key felt more at home with them than at his own house. After being with Jonghyun, Jessica, and Onew for a year he felt like there was meaning in his life. They had become his family. Jonghyun was like his brother, while Jessica and Onew was more like his mother and father. They all took care of Key when he was at his lowest and had not asked for anything in return even though they were dirt poor and he was really rich. Key joined their group with nothing but the clothes on his back and they accepted him that way.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Key and Jonghyun found an alley between two run down buildings in the bad part of town. It was filled with trash, but it was perfect for hiding the tent and staying out of sight from the police and anyone who would want to steal their things.

Soon Key and Jonghyun had set up the tent all the way inside the alley away from the street. Onew and Jessica joined them later after getting some food.

"This is nice." Onew looked around the alley.
"You mean it's dirty and it stinks." Key corrected.

After living with the group, Key had opened up. Key was sarcastic and blunt. He would say the truth without any sugar coating. Key was also very fashionable and neat, which was hard to live with since they were homeless and poor.

"Well beggars can't be choosers." Jessica told Key before entering the tent.
"I don't like this place." Jonghyun told Jessica.
Jessica shook her head. "I just told Key that beg-"
"No I meant for you." Jonghyun said. "This isn't a good neighborhood and you're a girl. I'm sure they'll kidnap you and you if you go out by yourself. Always have someone by your side. Don't ever be alone." Jonghyun sternly told Jessica.
"I understand." Jessica nodded.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A week later Key and Jonghyun were talking back from getting food and water when they heard loud noises coming from an alley as they passed by. Jonghyun and Key looked at each other.

"Ahhhhh!!!" Someone screamed in pain.

They walked into the alley and hid behind a large dumpster. They peaked out from behind the dumpster. They saw five men standing around a boy around their age. The boy was completely with bruises and cuts all over his body. He also had a tattoo of a dragon on his right shoulder blade. He was leaning on the wall with his arms as support and was facing the wall. His back was covered with angry red lines that were bleeding. One of the five men was holding a whip and whipping the poor boy.

"Enough." A man, who looked like the boss, said from the doorway that led into one of the buildings. "Bring him in. And don't get blood on my floor."

The man disappeared into the building along with two of the men. The man with the whip whipped the boy a few more times before going into the building. The boy fell onto his knees.

"Get up!" One of the two men left outside ordered. "I said get up!!"

The men forcefully pulled the boy off the ground. They started pushing him towards the building. The boy stopped and looked towards the trashcan. He made eye contact with Jonghyun and Key.

"Hurry up!" One of the men shouted.

The man pushed the boy into the building, breaking the boy's eye contact with Jonghyun and Key. Jonghyun and Key looked at each other. They quickly ran back to the tent. Although they said nothing the look in the boy's eyes bothered them.