Onew's Past

Gangs Of Seoul: Origins (Prequel to Gangs of Seoul)

All the children gathered in a circle around a single boy in the playroom of The Sunflower Orphanage. The 6 year old boy in the center was quite small for his age. His appearance made him look like he was only 5 years old. He was new to the orphanage, spending his first night there only a week earlier.

The boy was still grieving as he had recently lost his grandmother, who had taken care of him for the last 3 years, to a and his grandfather had passed away a few years before he had been born. The boy's parents were in no condition to take him into their homes as his mother had run away with another man, leaving the boy in the care of her mother. His father was in prison for assault and battery charges after he had attacked the man that had run away with his wife, the boy's mother.

"Yah! Jinki!! Are you deaf or what?" A boy pushed the boy in the center of the circle.
"Hahaha. Jinki, what kind of name is that?" Another boy teased.
"I think he's can't hear or talk." A girl added.
"Hey I'm talking to you." The boy pushed Jinki, this time to the ground.

Jinki fell down, scratching his palms on the floor. A tear fell out of Jinki's eye. He didn't like the orphanage. Everyday the children would tease and bother him. They wouldn't leave him alone. Jinki just wanted to be left alone. He just wanted to see his grandmother, and even his parents again.

"Look he's crying." Another boy pointed out.
"Ewww only girl's cry." Another boy added.

Jinki got fed up with the teasing. He stood up and pushed the boys away from him. The boys smirked and began pushing and punching Jinki back. Jinki raised his fist to return the punch when a worker from the orphanage came into the room.

"Lee Jinki!! We don't use violence here. You're on time out." The worker scolded.

The worker led Jinki to the timeout room. The room was the basement and it was a dimly lit room with no windows and a single chair in the center of the room. Over the next few months it became like his second room. Jinki was often framed for misdoings done by the other children. The workers at the orphanage refused to listen to Jinki, much to Jinki's disappointment. He slowly began to hate the orphanage.

One day when Jinki was in the timeout room he was reading a book that he had snuck into the room to aid his boredom. The book he was reading happened to be Robinhood. In the story there was a portion where Robinhood was put into a prison by the king. Robinhood somehow managed to escape the prison and go back to the forest to his fair lady Marianne. Jinki saw Robinhood's predicament in the prison similar to his own. Jinki thought the orphanage was his prison and he needed to escape the orphanage and find his parents.

For the next few days Jinki made his own trouble to be forced into the timeout room. He began planning his little escape from the orphanage and prayed that it would work. Within a week Jinki's plans to leave the orphange were complete. He would wait until it was friday night to escape. During the weekends there were fewer workers and at night everyone was sleeping. All he would have to do was climb over the fence without making too much noise, so the security wouldn't find him.

Soon enough friday came. Jinki stayed in doors and away from the other children to avoid getting in trouble. He also packed his belongings throughout the day. He also made a few trips to the kitchen and stole some water and snacks.

At night Jinki quietly slipped out of the room with his backpack. He slowly crept out of the house. He made it to the front, but saw the security guard standing in front of the gate. He waited a while for the security guard to move, but he never moved from his spot. Jinki grew desperate to leave, but it looked like it was impossible to leave.

Jinki looked around for something to distract the guard. He saw the swings. He ran over and pushed the swing and made it move. He grabbed a rock and threw it at the guard before hiding. The security ran over to check it a child was playing on the swings. At that moment Jinki ran to the gate and climbed over it. He ran away as fast as he could.

Jinki ran into the city. He looked around for anywhere that looked familiar, but there was nothing. He looked at bus stops and asked people for the 52 bus that usually took him and his grandmother home from the shopping mall, but no one knew where the 52 bus was.

The next day Jinki picked up a newspaper that an old man had dropped while walking. Jinki picked up the paper. The first thing he saw on the paper was his own face on the cover with the words "missing."

"Excuse me young man, that's mine. I dropped that." The old man approached Jinki.

Jinki returned the paper, but was instantly held back by the man.

"Hey aren't you this boy in the picture?" The old man asked.
Jinki shook his head. "No... I'm not." Jinki panicked. "My name is...."

Jinki tried to think of a name, but couldn't think of anything. In panic he looked around for clues to a name. He saw the paper in the old man's hand. There was a heading, "Jumbo New Clothing Sale." The old man's hand had covered the "jumn" in "Jumbo," and the "clothing sale" was covered by the man's jacket. "O New" was the only thing that Jinki could see and it sounded like a nice name,

"My name is Onew." Jinki replied. "I'm on my way home from school. The school sent me home because I'm sick with a fever and my grandma is bedridden, so she can't pick me up." He made an excuse hoping the name would buy the lie.
"Oh, well... then take care." The old man released Jinki's arm then went on his own way.

Jinki took a deep breath. I should be careful with my name or I'll be caught and sent back to the orphanage. I should call myself Onew from now on.

From that encounter with the old man Jinki called himself Onew. The name Jinki was buried deep in his heart. He promised himself that he would never reveal his true name to anyone unless he knew that they could be trusted for life, meaning they would become his new family.

Onew waited until his name and picture were off the newspapers before continuing his search for his parents. After a few days of searching Onew found nothing on how to get to his old house. The only thing he knew was that he was probably going to die he didn't find food and water soon. He got food by stealing from open markets and from people eating on the streets. Water was provided by the same method and water fountains at the parks. Onew continued to look for his parents, traveling deeper into the city. As he traveled he slept in parks and in tunnels.

Onew continued to search for his parents for the next few months until he realized that he was getting no where in his search. He had given up hope in finding his parents.

Onew started to drift around for the next two years until he met a girl, Jessica, and her little brother, Jonghyun. They were both on the run from a gangster named SE7EN who had killed their parents. Onew found himself happy with their company especially when they had warmed up to him and began to treat him like family. It was like Onew had gained a new older sister and a new younger brother. Jessica was a year old than Onew, and Jonghyun was a year younger than Onew.

Jessica and Jonghyun had encouraged Onew to restart his search for his parents. They accompanied Onew on his travels to search for his parents. Jessica and Jonghyun were happy to accompany Onew as they thought if they continued to move around with Onew, SE7EN wouldn't be able to find their trail.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Onew~!!" A 19 year old Jessica jumped as she waved her hand.

Jessica had grown into a beautiful young woman. Although her clothes were not very pretty and were very loose, so she could grow into them, it was still very clear that she was a beauty. It was hard for Jessica to live in homeless camps without attracting attention.

"Hey~!!" Onew waved back at Jessica.

Onew was now 18 years old. He was no longer small like he had been in the past. He had grown into a handsome man that any man would be jealous of. He had some muscles from carrying their equipment every time they moved their camp.

Onew ran to Jessica and her gave the backpack of food he had stolen from the market. Jessica peaked inside and smiled. She put the bag down in the sand and hugged Onew.

"Wow. Thank you. You got my favorite chocolate." Jessica released Onew. "Where's Jonghyun?"
"Oh he's coming. The manager chased us down, so we had to split up. I'm sure he'll he here soon." Onew reassured Jessica.
"I hope so." Jessica looked around.

Jessica hated when Jonghyun and Onew went out to steal food. Even though they had been stealing food for the last 10 years she still wasn't used to it. She preferred that they buy food, but none of them had the money to buy food. The money that they had they were saving for something bigger than food. The money they had went to clothes if they ever needed a few set since each or the only had 2 sets of clothes. The rest of the money they were saving to get a house or something to help them get their feet back on the ground. Money for food was something they couldn't afford.

Jessica watched Onew start a small fire in the sand. They were spending the weekend on the beach, which was something they did once every month. The beach made them feel like they were camping instead of being homeless. The beach was relaxing and the sound of the waved were more inviting than the sound of cars honking overhead or trains passing in the subway.

Jessica watched Onew prepare to cook the fish that they had caught in the morning. Something about watching Onew made her comfortable. Jessica knew that she had fallen in love with Onew sometime over the 10 years they had spent together, but she refused to say anything about her feelings because she knew that love would only hurt Onew if they every found Onew's parents or if SE7EN ever found her or Jonghyun. Jessica would always shrug off her feelings and continue to play the big sister role for the sake of all of their well beings.

"Need some help?" Jessica asked holding up the bag of food Onew has stolen.
"Please." Onew flashed a smile.

Onew watched as Jessica started preparing to cook. Onew couldn't help but smile every time he looked at Jessica. Onew already knew that he was in love with Jessica from the moment she took care of him when he got sick. He was only 10 years old and it was winter. He had caught a cold and had a very high fever. They couldn't go to the doctor, so all he could do was lay down and wait for it to go away. Jonghyun went to go steal some medicine, but was unsuccessful and came back empty handed. It was during that period that Onew had fallen in love with Jessica. When he thought that we was going to die Jessica did everything that she could to make sure that Onew would continue to live.

Onew shook his head to clear his thought about Jessica. He went back to cooking the fish. Onew had no intention of confessing his feelings to Jessica. He wanted to be able to provide food and a permanent shelter like to Jessica and Jonghyun before he confessed. He wanted them to be able to live like everyone else and be able to afford everything before they settled down to start a relationship.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

An hour had passed and it was now dark. The beach was not empty except for a few campers that would be spending the night. Jessica and Onew were almost done cooking dinner. Onew looked around for Jonghyun, who hadn't returned yet.

"Why is Jonghyun not back yet?" Onew accidentally said out loud.
"You don't think he got caught do you?" Jessica asked.

Onew and Jessica stood up and looked around for Jonghyun. They saw nothing that looked like him.

"Stay here and finish cooking. I'll got get him." Onew told Jessica.

Onew went into their tent and got two jackets and a flashlight. Onew crawled out of the tent. He put a jacket on Jessica before putting his own on. He sat down to put his shoes on.

"Onew!!" Someone yelled.

Onew and Jessica stood up. They looked around for the owner of the voice. They spotted a 17 year old Jonghyun running towards them.

Jonghyun no longer a kid who loved the Power Rangers. He in fact looked like a Power Ranger. He was good looking with nicely built arms and abs that were visible through his white tank top, which should have loose, but was now shaping his body since the shirt was being pulled to his back.

"Jonghyun we're here!!" Jessica took the flashlight from Onew and waved it around.

Jonghyun ran towards them. As Jonghyun got closer Onew and Jessica noticed Jonghyun was carrying a boy in a high school uniform on his back. Onew ran to help Jonghyun. Jonghyun handed Onew the bag with the food.

"What happened? Who's this?" Jessica asked as she got a pillow and blanket for the boy.

Jonghyun put the boy down in the tent. He fixed the boy's head on the pillow as Jessica fixed the blanket on the boy.

"I'm too sure about everything." Jonghyun said as he stretched out his back. "After I ditched the manager I was heading back here, but I kind of got lost, so I wondered around for a bit." Jonghyun admitted. "I was walking around when I passed a school. I saw him on the roof of the school. He looked like he was going to jump, so I ran up into the school to stop him. When I got up there he jumped. I was lucky I caught his hand. I pulled him up then we kind of got into a fight. He kept trying to jump again, so I knocked him out."

Jessica, Onew, and Jonghyun looked at the boy. They all wondered what would drive the poor boy into thinking about suicide.