Jonghyun’s Past Part 1: Family

Gangs Of Seoul: Origins (Prequel to Gangs of Seoul)

“Look at my drawing!” A 6 year old Jonghyun ran to his mother with his drawing in his hand. “It’s a flower. I drew it for you.”
“That’s nice dear.” His mother took the drawing and examined it carefully. “We grow this in the garden don’t we?”
“Uh huh.” Jonghyun nodded. “Jessica said that girls like flowers.”
“We do.” His mother kissed his forehead. “I’m going to put this on the fridge for everyone to see, okay?”

Jonghyun nodded in agreement and followed his mother to the kitchen. Meanwhile a 9 year old Jessica was sitting with her father in the living room watching cartoons.

“Appa,” Jessica turned to her father during the commercial. “Jonghyun’s birthday is next week. What are we going to do?”
“Shhhh. It’s a secret.” Her father winked at Jessica.
“Hmph, not fair. I want to know.” Jessica pouted.
Her father let out a hearty laugh and hugged his daughter. “You always want to know everything.”

Jonghyun and his mother came into the living room and took their seats next to Jessica and her father. Her father wrapped his arm around his wife, who leaned on his shoulder. Jonghyun squished himself beside Jessica and the armrest before leaning on her shoulder, much to Jessica’s dismay. She shrugged Jonghyun off, but Jonghyun leaned on her again.

“Go sit by Umma.” Jessica complained.
“No. I want to sit here.” Jonghyun argued.
“Appa.” Jessica whined.
“Be nice to your little brother.” Her father replied.
“Yeah be nice.” Jonghyun stuck his tongue out.
“Jonghyun.” His father scolded.
“Hmph.” Jessica crossed her arms, happy Jonghyun was scolded.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was the day before Jonghyun’s birthday. His parents had called all their friends and relatives for Jonghyun’s 7th birthday party. Jonghyun’s uncle Yoonsoo flew in from Busan to attend the party. He would be staying with the family for a week.

“Uncle Yoonsoo!!” Jessica and Jonghyun ran to their uncle at the front door.
“How’s my little power ranger?” Yoonsoo picked up Jonghyun and swung him around. “And of course my little fairy.” Yoonsoo ruffled Jessica’s hair.

With smiling faces Jessica and Jonghyun led Yoonsoo to the guest room where he would be staying. Yoonsoo put his backs down and jumped onto the bed. Jonghyun and Jessica also jumped onto the bed and began playing with their uncle.

“Kids can we talk to your uncle for a bit?” Their parents came into the room.
“Okay, we’ll be downstairs watching TV.” Jessica pulled Jonghyun out of the room.
“Let’s watch Power Rangers.” Jonghyun ran down the stairs.
“No Snow White.” Jessica ran after Jonghyun.

Their father closed the door and Yoonsoo sat up.

“Sungmin, Minyoung.” Yoonsoo looked at his brother and sister-in-law.
“Yoonsoo, I know you’re having some issues back in Busan, but don’t bring them here okay.” Sungmin told his brother. “It’s Jonghyun’s birthday, so please behave.”
“And I don’t know how?” Yoonsoo said sarcastically. “It was a mistake. I got drunk and hit someone, but the guy was fine. And as for the drugs, I didn’t even know it was in the car. I lent the car to a friend. I didn’t even put it in there. I swear.”
Sungmin sighed. “I know, but I’m just taking precautions okay.”
“Also, if you don’t mind, could you not smoke in front of the kids.” Minyoung added. “I don’t want them to inhale the smoke or start smoking.”
“Relax I won’t. I’m trying to quit.” Yoonsoo replied.
“That’s good. We’ll help you to stop smoking.” Minyoung smiled. “Alright, so I’m going to make dinner. I’ll leave you boys up here.”

Minyoung went downstairs to make dinner leaving Yoonsoo and Sungmin in the room. Sungmin looked at his little brother.

“I really don’t know how you got into all that trouble in the last few years, but I hope you get out of it. Jonghyun really looks up to you, so I really want you to be a good example for him.” Sungmin pat Yoonsoo’s back.
“I will be a good role model. I promise.” Yoonsoo smiled.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next day Jonghyun’s family and friends came over for Jonghyun’s party. In the backyard the men were barbequing the meat as they watched the kids jumping around in the inflatable bounce house that they rented out for the day. In the house the women were preparing a feast in the kitchen, the men that were not outside barbequing were sitting in the living room watching sports on the big TV. A few of the older kids were playing videogames on the smaller TV that Sungmin had brought down into the living room from his bedroom.

The party was a blast and Jonghyun was covered in sweat as he played in the bounce house with his friends. A smile never seemed to leave his face. Jessica on the other hand was having fun sitting and talking with her older female cousins outside in the grass. Jessica enjoyed listening to the gossip on boys and celebrities.

“Everyone lunch is ready!” Minyoung called everyone that was outside into the house.

Everyone quickly scrambled into the house. Soon everyone was sitting down in the house eating the delicious feast.

“Jonghyun slow down. You’re going to choke.” Yoonsoo pat Jonghyun’s back.
“Mhmhimsignifmasmph.” Jonghyun replied with his mouth full.
“What did you say? Swallow first.” His father told him.
Jonghyun swallowed his food. “This is really good. Thank you Umma and Aunties.”
“You’re welcome sweetie.” His mother replied.

After lunch the kids went back to playing. The adults prepared Jonghyun’s presents and the cake. After setting up the kids were called back into the house for cake. Soon everyone began singing.

“Happy Birthday to you. Happy Birthday to you. Happy Birthday dear Jonghyunnie. Happy Birthday to you.”

Jonghyun blew out the candles. The cake was cut and passed around to everyone to eat. As everyone ate cake Jonghyun opened presents.

“I really wanted this one. Thank you Aunt Yena.” Jonghyun held up a new Power Ranger movie.
“You’re welcome.” Yena smiled.
“Arighty, the last present.” His father handed Jonghyun a small envelope with stickers all over.

Jonghyun opened the envelope and took out a small paper with more stickers, a small drawing, and messy handwriting.

“Happy Birthday. From Jessica.” Jonghyun read. “Thank you Jessica.” Jonghyun ran to hug his sister.
“You’re welcome. Mwah.” Jessica kissed Jonghyun on his cheek.
“Aww.” The adults cooed, while Jonghyun’s friends snickered.
“Ewww. Girl cooties!!” Jonghyun ran away and wiped off his cheek.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BANG BANG BANG BANG. “Yah Kim Yoonsoo open up!!”

Jonghyun awoke in the middle of the night to a loud knock on the front door. Jonghyun covered his head with his pillow to muffle the noise, but it was useless.

Things suddenly got really quiet. Jonghyun had a bad feeling, so he opened the door a crack. He saw his father sleepily going down the stairs. Once his father was out of sight Jonghyun dashed into Jessica’s room.

“Jessica wake up.” Jonghyun shook his sister. “I’m scared.”
“Here. Go to sleep.” Jessica sleepily pulled open the blanket for Jonghyun.

Jonghyun laid down by Jessica and cuddled with her.


“Where the hell is Kim Yoonsoo?” A man dressed in black asked Sungmin.
“Who are you?” Sungmin asked.
“None of your business.” The man replied. “Where the hell is he? I know you’re hiding him here.”
“We’re not hiding anything here.” Sungmin replied. “Now tell me what you want with my brother or I’m calling the police.” Sungmin told the man.

The man turned around to his boss behind him. The boss waved his hand and the man moved to the side.

“So you’re Kim Sungmin.” The boss stepped up to Sungmin. “I’m SE7EN. Nice to finally meet you.”

SE7EN stepped into the house, pushing Sungmin to the side.

“Where is Yoonsoo? I know he’s here.” SE7EN walked further into the house. “We saw him flee here.” SE7EN turned back around to Sungmin. “I’d tell me where your brother is before people get hurt.”

Suddenly the sound of windows crashing was heard. SE7EN and a few men ran upstairs to the sound while others ran outside. Sungmin followed SE7EN upstairs. He saw SE7EN and his men run into Yoonsoo’s room. Sungmin quickly ran into Jessica’s room, which was closest to the stairs. Seeing both his children in the bed, he ran up to them. He glanced at the closet then at the bed.

“Get under the bed now.” Sungmin ordered.

Jessica and Jonghyun quickly scrambled under the bed taking the blanket with them. Sungmin kicked a few books under the bed as well as toys under the bed making sure his kids could not be seen. Jessica and Jonghyun didn’t know what was going on, but watched as their father through a crack from under the bed. A gunshot was heard.

“Kyaaaa!!!!” Minyoung screamed.

Within a second another gunshot was heard.

“Minyoung!” Sungmin ran out of the room.

As soon as he stepped out of the room another shot was fired. Sungmin fell onto the floor dead. Jonghyun gasped. Jessica covered Jonghyun’s mouth. Footsteps came closer to the room. Jessica and Jonghyun were shaking in fear. They finally saw expensive looking black shoes standing by their father.

“Yoonsoo’s gone.” A man informed SE7EN who was standing by Sungmin’s body. “We have a few men chasing him down.”
“Good.” SE7EN replied.
“What do we do about them?” The man asked.
“Leave them for now. First check all the rooms. They have kids.” SE7EN ordered. “The kids could be useful. Jonghyun and Jessica.”

The man began to move. Jessica covered herself and Jonghyun with the black blanket. She and Jonghyun peaked out of the blanket with only their eyes. They could only see their father’s dead body and SE7EN’s shoes.

A while later another pair of shoes entered the room. Jessica and Jonghyun closed their peepholes and held their breath. The man searched the closet and under the bed. Luckily the room was dark and the blanket blended into the darkenss. The man then moved to Jonghyun’s room.

“They’re not here.” The man informed SE7EN.

Jessica and Jonghyun opened their peepholes to see once again.

“Hmm strange.” SE7EN assessed the situation.
“Maybe they are at a friend or relative’s house.” The man told SE7EN. “As a kid I used to enjoy sleepovers.”
“Find them.” SE7EN ordered. “If Yoonsoo doesn’t give me my money back those kids will be the ones to do it.”
“Yes sir.” The man replied. “We’ll search every relative and friend. We’ll find those kids.” The man ran down the stairs.

SE7EN stood by Sungmin’s body for a while. He then walked into Jessica’s room, stopping by Jessica’s drawer. SE7EN took a picture of Jessica and Jonghyun posing for the camera on Jessica’s 9th birthday a few months back.

“If you kids are still hiding in here be warned. We will find you.” SE7EN said out loud. “You can’t run or hide from SE7EN.” SE7EN walked out of the room.

Jessica and Jonghyun continued to watch. From their spot under the bed they could see the stairs. They saw SE7EN walking down. They watched him until he disappeared from their sight. SE7EN’s face would never disappear from their memory.

Jonghyun and Jessica stayed under the bed until the sun rose. Neither of them could get any sleep. They tightly held hands the entire night.

After the sun had been up for a while Jessica and Jonghyun got out of their hiding place. They quickly ran over to their father. Crying, they tried to wake him. Jessica pulled Jonghyun to their parent’s bedroom to get their mom for help.

“Umma help! Appa needs help!” Jessica cried as she ran to her mother.

Their mother was on the bed, but she was dead as well. Jessica and Jonghyun shook her, but she wouldn’t move.

Jessica began to cry harder. “What do I do? Help me.”
“It’s all Uncle Yoonsoo’s fault.” Jonghyun muttered. “It’s all his fault! You heard the bad men. It’s all Uncle Yoonsoo’s fault!” Jonghyun yelled as he cried.

Jessica and Jonghyun cried until no more tears could fall. They sat on their parent’s bedroom floor in silence.

“Jonghyun get up!” Jessica ordered. “Get up. The bad men could come back. We have to run away or we’ll die too.”

Jessica ran for the door, but a tiny hand held her back.

“Wait.” Jonghyun told Jessica. “I watched this on Power Rangers. When the rangers had to run away from the bad men who came into their base the Power Rangers took a backpack filled with things like clothes, food, water, and weapons. Then after that they went camping in the woods. We should do that too.”
Jessica looked at Jonghyun. “You’re right. We should. Think hard, what else did the Power Rangers do?”

As Jonghyun tried to remember what the Power Rangers did Jessica went to their parent’s closet. She pulled out their camping backpacks from when they went camping last summer. She also found a tent and a foldable chair.

Jessica began to pack their clothes into the backpacks. She also packed things that they had brought to camping like toothbrushes, toilet paper, and soap. Jessica also brought her piggy bank then went to get the money that their parents hid inside their dresser. She also raided their wallets. Upon raiding her father’s wallet she saw his pocket knife. She stuck the pocket knife into her pocket.

After getting everything that they needed from upstairs Jessica and Jonghyun quietly crept downstairs. They saw the mess that the men had made as well as the mess from Jonghyun’s birthday party, which they were planning to finish cleaning today.

“Jonghyun, if you want to bring a few toys go get them. I’m going to get food.” Jessica said before going into the kitchen.

Jonghyun went into his toy chest and got a few Power Ranger action figures. He then went over to his presents that he had received the day before. He took all the new presents and stuck it into his bag.

“Jonghyun,” Jessica called him into the kitchen. “Here have some cake. We need to eat before we go.”

Jonghyun stared at his cake that had the word “Happy” written on it. He couldn’t help but cry as he ate the cake. Jessica also ate a piece of cake in tears.

When they were done eating they prepared to leave. They hugged and kissed their parents then went downstairs to grab their things. Jonghyun was carrying the bags with his toys, all their clothes, and the foldable chair. Jessica was carrying the bag with food, all the necessitates, her toys, and the tent. Just before they were about to leave she spotted a family album laying on the counter. She ran to pick it up. She stick it into her bag along with a few picture frames of their family.

“Okay, let’s go.” Jessica opened the door.

Jonghyun and Jessica left the house.

“Where are we going?” Jonghyun asked.
“I don’t know, but away from here.” Jessica replied as she lead the way out of their small town.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N - Don't forget to check out our roleplay forum:

If you want to joing our roleplay come to http://krpfanfics.b1.jcink.com/index.php?