Confused Heart

I Will Always Protect You

 

After the doctor and nurses came out from the ward, Kwon rushed in. He looked at her lying there, she looked so small and frail. Her petite face was filled with tears. He walked towards her slowly and sat beside her. He touched her face lightly, wiping the tears off her cheeks. Unknowingly, his eyes was filled with tears. He held her hands up and placed it next to his cheeks. It has only been a day since he last saw her but she seems to have aged so much. Just then, Seulong came up behind him and placed his hands on his shoulders.

Seulong : Are you okay?

Kwon stood up, placed Ga-in’s hands by her side and pull the blanket over her to keep her warm.

“Yea, I am okay” Kwon said while trying to stabilize his emotions.

Seulong : You know Ms Son?

Kwon : Yes, I saved her once while I was on duty. Seulong-ah, can you fill me in about what you know about her case?

Seulong : Let’s head outside, I will fill you in because I am afraid we might need to involve the police in this case.

Just then, Minsoo and Julia barged into the room.

Minsoo : Ga-in ah are you okay? Ga-in ah…

Seulong : shhhh...Minsoo-ssi, Ms Son just fell asleep. Let’s talk outside.

-Outside the ward-

Minsoo : What happened to Ga-in? Before I left, she was fine?

Seulong : Apparently, she received an image of the bloody doll from an unknown sender again and that triggered her mood...

Minsoo : Damn this person!!!! I’m so gonna chop this person up when I find out who it is……

Julia : Yeobo, don’t be angry… it is not good for your health.

Minsoo : But this is really making me angry, Yeobo!!

Julia : Me too, it’s pissing me off too but we must take care of ourselves first~

“Yes, Yeobo…” Minsoo said while backhugging Julia.

Seulong : ahem…By the way, Minsoo-ssi, I have asked my subordinate to check on the unknown sender. We will try to track them down.

Minsoo : Please do! Those people needs to be apprehended!

Seulong : Kwon-ah, I will pass you all the information that you need to know and we will work closely with the police to apprehend these people. Kwon-ah…Kwon-ah ,are you listening?

Kwon was in a daze. Ga-in’s petite pale face kept coming up in his mind. Just then, he felt Seulong shaking him.

Seulong : Kwon-ah, Kwon-ah, are you listening to me?

Kwon : Mianhae Seulong-ah, what were you saying just now?

Seulong : I was saying that I will pass all the information to you once we have it sorted out and open a case with the police.

Kwon : Oh yes, please compile all the information and pass it to me. We shall discuss this case further.

Minsoo : Annyeong Inspector Jo, we meet again in the hospital.

Kwon : Oh annyeonghaseyo! Yeah, the last time we met was also in the hospital. It feels like a déjà vu.

Minsoo : Are you here to visit Ga-in?

Kwon : Oh no no…I was here for some other things and I just happened to chance upon this. Speaking of that, I’ve got to go. Seulong, please keep me update on Ga-in’s condition, will you?

Seulong : Sure, I will contact you.

Kwon : Thank you! Annyeonghigyeseyo~

Jo Kwon bowed to everyone and walked back to where Soojin’s Omma is. He went to the check-up room and realized she is not there. He walked to the reception area and asked the nurse, the nurse told him that she left a while ago. He ran down frantically and to his relief, he saw Soojin’s Omma walking slowly towards the bus station.

Kwon : Omonim! Why didn’t you wait for me?

Soojin’s Omma : Ah Kwon- ah, I thought you had something on and left. No worries, I can go back home on my own. You can go ahead with your work.

Kwon : Mianhaeyo Omonim…I met my ex-colleague just now and I got too engrossed. Let’s go for lunch!

-At the restaurant-

Kwon : Let’s see here Omonim, what would you like to eat?

Soojin’s Omma : I am not picky with food, you can make the decision, Kwon-ah.

Kwon : Okay then, I will make the decision. Let me see...

Kwon flipped through the menu for a long time but he still couldn’t make a decision. Soojin’s Omma realized that ever since he met his ex-colleague, he seemed distracted.

Soojin’s  Omma : Kwon-ah, Kwon-ah are you okay?

Kwon : I’m sorry, Omonim. Let me place the order now. Excuse me waiter~

After Kwon placed the order, he noticed Soojin’s Omma staring at him.

Kwon : Omonim, why are you staring at me?

Soojin’s Omma: Kwon-ah, I realized that you have become thinner since the last time I saw you. You still cannot forget Soojin?

Kwon: Omonim, why are you suddenly asking me that? I love and miss Soojin even until now….

Soojin’s Omma: But she is no longer here…you need to move on, Kwon-ah. I know you are faithful to my daughter but I will not blame you if you found another girl that you love and I bet my daughter won’t too. After all, she has passed away many years ago and you guys are not married.

Kwon: But Omonim…I only love Soojin…..I…

Soojin’s Omma : I see that you have been very distracted ever since you came back. Is everything okay?

Kwon: I am okay Omonim. You don’t have to worry about me.

Soojin’s Omma : I know that you have something on in your mind but it’s okay if you do not want to share it with me. But do keep my words in mind…go find a girlfriend, get married and have children. You may not be my son-in-law but I have always treated you like my son. I will be happy if you manage to find another someone whom you love and live happily with her.

Kwon : Why are you saying this to me, Omonim… I am not gonna get into a relationship anymore. I just want to focus on my career at the moment….

Soojin’s Omma : Career is important but having a family of your own is more important. Kwon-ah, listen to me. If you like a girl now, go after her. Do not live in regret, arraso?

Kwon : Alright Omonim, don’t worry about me. I will definitely let you know if someone walks into my life.

Soojin’s Omma : Promise?

Kwon : *laughs* Alright, promise! Do we need to hook our pinkies?

Soojin’s Omma : *chuckles* yes!

After lunch, Kwon sent Soojin’s Omma back home. His mind was all about Ga-in, wondering if she is okay, wondering if she is awake, wondering who will hurt her. Kwon never forgot the promise he made to Soojin that she will be the only girl he will love until he dies and he keeps reminding himself with that but unknowingly, Ga-in has became part of his life now. When he saw her at the ward just now, he can’t help but worry. Just then, a phone call interrupted his thoughts;

Kwon : Hello, this is Jo Kwon.

Seulong : Kwon-ah, are you free now? I have just received the tracking report from the IT department and I would like to discuss the case with you.

Kwon  : That was really fast, meet me at the station. I should be there in an hour time.

Seulong : Alright, see you in an hour’s time.

-Police station-

Seulong was already at the main entrance when Jo Kwon arrived.

Kwon: You are really fast! Did you speed here?

Seulong: Aniyo, the hospital is really close by.

Kwon: You came from the hospital? Is….Ga-in awake already?

Seulong: She hasn’t woke up yet when I left the hospital… I guess the stabilizer is taking effect. Kwon-ah, can I ask you a question? You seem very concerned about her, don’t tell me you….

Kwon: Ahem don’t be mistaken, Seulong-ah, I am just concerned for her as a friend. Nothing more than that and you know that my heart is empty right now after Soojin left.

Seulong: But Kwon-ah, I saw you in that ward. That expression on your face when you were in the ward, it was a similar expression when you were at Soojin’s funeral. Kwon-ah, Soojin has passed away for many years and it is not your fault to fall in love again.

Kwon: haha Seulong-ah, you are really observant. I never thought you were the one all these years. Alright, let’s drop this topic and talk about the case.

Seulong: Alright, just remember what I just said. As mentioned, the IT department has tracked that the phone that sent the message was a stolen phone and therefore, we have lost all the leads. I don’t know if this is helpful but one of Mr Son’s assistant, Mr Lee Minsoo, has suffered a similar incident. He mentioned that he found a pig head hanging on his door. The time phrase was very close by between the incident at the Lees and Sons. I have a feeling that these two cases are connected.

Kwon: So you are saying that the Lees have been pranked too? I will not dismiss the possibility that these two cases are interconnected. Did you ask Mrs Lee if she has offended anyone lately?

Seulong : I did but she said her life is very simple. She is usually either home or at her children’s school, picking them up. She hardly socializes with the others.

Kwon : Thank you, Seulong-ah. I will follow up this case. Thank you for all the information, it is really helpful. Ever thought of joining the police force again?

Seulong : Haha! I would love to but I am happy at where I am now.

At this moment, Seulong’s phone vibrated.

Seulong : I’m sorry I got to get this. Hello, ye...ye... alright I will be right back. Kwon-ah, I’m sorry but I’ve got to return to the hospital. Apparently, Ms Son just woke up and she is emotionally unstable.

Kwon : She is awake? Seulong-ah, let me go with you!

Seulong : Sure, let’s go.

Kwon thought to himself, ‘Ga-in ah, please be okay’.