Hidden Part 1

A Cup of Caramel Coffee (Jeti Collection)

 

A/N: It's been a while since I've posted here eh? Mianhae :( It's because I keep updating Concrete Angel and My Life Is Secretly A Movie usually. Hehe! But get yourselves ready, my dear readers, because this is probably the longest one-shot I have written. And I really mean it! It's VERY VERY VERY loooooonnggg! Okay, kidding. Well seeing that this supposed "one-shot" had 12,348 words, I decided to cut it into three parts so that I wouldn't bore you with its super long-ness. Hehe! That's because I originally planned on doing this as a fanfic. But I decided not to since it just had a simple plot and because I am already handling two on-going fanfics. I wrote this a really long time ago and abandoned it. I just decided to continue writing it because it would be a shame to see it go to waste. So this would be my tribute to Jessica's birthday instead (even though I didn't post this on her birthday. Sorry for such a late post ㅠㅠ) HAPPY BIRTHDAY JESSICA JUNG SOOYEON! 생일축하합니다 제시카 정 수연! :D

 

 
 
 
 
 

 

HIDDEN PART 1

 

 
 
 

Jessica Jung was just like any other ordinary student. She went to school, did what she was told, listened to her professors (when she's not too busy sleeping during classes that is...) But despite her laziness, she somehow manages to get high grades. Jessica is one of those people who are a genius at birth, but lazy by choice. Sure, she's smart but that doesn't gain her more friends or anything. She's not really the kind to socialize or mingle with the other students. She's even called an Ice Princess for that, the beautiful girl with the cold demeanor. But it doesn't bother her. She prefers it that way. It's better to be hidden, she always tells herself.

 
 

Tiffany Hwang was always bubbly, excited, friendly. With her shining eye-smiles, flawless milky white skin, brown long hair, and pretty face, she's definitely the kind of girl to stand out and reach the top of the popularity ladder. She never gets tired of saying Hi or Hello to the people she passes by. She wants to make sure that everyone gets noticed. Tiffany would never fail to appreciate a person. She would always see the beauty in everything, no matter how small or insignificant. As beautiful as Tiffany is, she wants the people around her to feel more beautiful and bring out the hidden beauty in them.

 
 

---

 
 

No one's POV

 
 

A new student was going to be introduced to the class today. But Jessica was too tired and lazy to pay attention, so she decided to doze off instead. She crossed her arms on her desk and rested her head on top of it. She closed her eyes and let sleep take over her.

 
 

Jessica was nearly asleep when she heard the professor coming in.

 
 

"Okay class, today you will have a new classmate. Please be nice to her and make her feel comfortable."

 
 

Her? So it's a girl huh? Jessica thought, not bothering to lift her head to see the new student. Must be a pretty one, she thought, judging by the giddy whispers and breathless gasps of her classmates.

 
 

"Hi! I'm Stephanie Hwang! Please call me Tiffany! I hope we can get along well!"

 
 

Wow. For a new student, she isn't shy. But she sure is pretty loud! Not good for a sleepyhead like me.

 
 

Jessica still refused to look up and continued to fall half-asleep.

 
 

"Okay Tiffany, you could sit where ever you'd like. We have 8 seats available so feel free to choose."

 
 

Jessica was seated near the back of the room. To her right was a window all to herself, while to her left was an empty seat. Since there are 8 seats that are available, Jessica thought that the new girl would just sit somewhere else. Maybe near the popular kids like Gyuri. They would surely ask the new girl to sit with them. Sure enough, Jessica heard Gyuri speak up.

 
 

"Tiffany! There's an open seat here. You could sit next to me!"

 
 

The new girl didn't reply and there was a few moments of silence.

 
 

Just take it already so we could start class! Jessica grumbled in her thought.

 
 

Tiffany looked at the empty seat then at Gyuri.

 
 

She seems to be one of the popular kids here, Tiffany thought.

 
 

"Thanks for the offer but I think I'd like to sit somewhere else." she replied courtly with an eye-smile.

 
 

Jessica's brows furrowed as she opened her eyes but kept her head resting on the desk.

 
 

She's rejecting Gyuri? I mean, nobody has ever rejected her! People KNOW that Gyuri's popular. Even newbies! Gyuri's whole image practically screams POPULAR. And to be offered by someone like her is a rare opportunity. So why is this new kid refusing?

 
 

Jessica tried to think of a logical explanation but was interrupted by the sound of a pair of footsteps getting louder and louder, coming closer and closer. She felt a finger tapping her shoulder, causing her to look up.

 
 

"Umm, can I sit beside you?"

 
 

Jessica was speechless and her jaw almost fell to the floor. Standing in front of her was the new girl who looked more pretty than she thought. The girl was undeniably beautiful. Her brown wavy hair fell just past her shoulders like it was going to be shot in a CF. Her milky white skin seemed so smooth and flawless. And her face...well it was so beautiful that Jessica couldn't find any words to describe it. Jessica just stared at the beauty in front of her while the latter shifted nervously in her place.

 
 

Seeing that Jessica wasn't saying anything, Tiffany thought that the blonde didn't want her sitting next to her.

 
 

"Um, t-that's alright. I c-can sit s-somewhere else..."

 
 

This time, Jessica finally snapped out of her momentary trance and found her voice to reply.

 
 

"NO!"

 
 

Tiffany looked back at her with a raised eyebrow. Jessica suddenly played with her fingers nervously, shocked by her own sudden outburst.

 
 

"I m-mean, y-you can s-sit next to m-me..."

 
 

Real smooth Jessica, you pabo!

 
 

Jessica could feel herself blushing and looked away, trying to hide her embarrassment. But Tiffany just smiled at the latter and sat down at her new desk.

 
 

"Okay now let's start class shall we? Our lesson for today will be about the human mind -"

 
 

The professor kept on talking while Jessica was trying to listen, but her brain seemed that it wasn't receiving any information from the professor as she caught a whiff of...

 
 

Was that strawberry? Jessica thought as she sniffed the air but stopped abruptly as she realized what she was doing.

 

 

 

 

Stop it, Smelling Sica! she mentally scolded herself.

 

 

Aish! I seem distracted! I couldn't concentrate! Jessica thought frustratingly.

 
 

She let out a defeated sigh and faced the window, placing her elbow on her desk and propping up her chin on her fist.

 
 

I'll just study it on my own. I'm sure I can be able to catch up quickly.

 
 

Although, it seemed like Jessica wasn't the only one having a hard time.

 
 

Jessica couldn't concentrate. Tiffany however, couldn't understand. She furrowed her eyebrows as she tried to process the information. But she still couldn't comprehend it.

 
 

She sighed quietly and glanced at Jessica who was busy looking out of the window. Tiffany brought a hand to tap the girl's shoulder but quickly  withdrew it back, thinking that she might disturb the blonde. She directed her attention back to the professor who was busy writing on the board and frowned.

 
 

I couldn't even understand what he's saying. Now how am I supposed to comprehend what he's writing?

 
 

Tiffany looked back at Jessica who was still oblivious to everything around her, lost in a world of her own. Tiffany bit her lip, contemplating whether to ask for the girl's help or not. But after gathering her courage and a few seconds of hesitation, she finally tapped Jessica's shoulder.

 
 

Jessica looked away from the view as she felt a light tap on her shoulder. She turned to see the new girl looking at her with pleading eyes and a cute pout on her face.

 
 

"Is there anything wrong?" Jessica asked.

 
 

Tiffany nodded lightly and replied, "I couldn't understand the lesson."

 
 

Jessica didn't reply and just stared at Tiffany.

 
 

"..."

 
 

"..."

 
 

"..."

 
 

This is getting awkward. Tiffany thought as she played with her fingers unconsciously. Is she always like this? Not saying anything for a while before she can speak out a reply?

 
 

Jessica rapidly blinked her eyes three times before she spoke.

 
 

"Tiffany, right? That's an American name. I assume you grew up in America and you're having a hard time understanding Korean?" she asked in fluent English.

 
 

Tiffany lowered her head and nodded sheepishly. "Yeah."

 
 

Jessica just stared at the other girl creating an awkward silence between them again. None of them said anything for a few seconds until Jessica was the first to break the ice.

 
 

"I'm sorry, Tiffany. Unfortunately, I couldn't understand the lesson at the moment either. My brain seems to be...thinking of something else."

 
 

"Oh..." was all Tiffany could say.

 
 

Feeling sorry for her, Jessica decided to help the girl out.

 
 

"But if you want, I could translate it to you later in English once I catch up with the lesson. I could also help you out in other subjects when you're having a hard time understanding Korean."

 
 

Tiffany looked up at Jessica as her eyes lit up in response.

 
 

"Really?" she asked eagerly.

 
 

"Of course. You know, nobody helped me out before when I first moved here to Korea. I had a hard time adjusting and kids kept teasing me. I don't want the same thing to happen to you, so I want to help you out." Jessica said honestly and smiled shyly.

 
 

Tiffany smiled widely, her eyes turned into moon-like crescents. Jessica was momentarily blinded by the girl's powerful mega-kilo watt shining eye-smile.

 
 

"Thank you so much! Uh..." Tiffany realized that she didn't know the brunette's name.

 
 

"Oh, I'm Jessica Jung." Jessica introduced as she held out her hand.

 
 

Tiffany took it in hers and shook it, which sent small tingling sensations to the both of them.

 
 

"Thank you Jessica!" Tiffany said while smiling widely.

 
 

Jessica smiled and replied, "Just one thing Tiffany."

 
 

"Sure! What is it?"

 
 

"Please don't be that loud when I'm asleep."

 
 

---

 
 

Jessica's POV

 
 

It's already the last class for today. But the time seems to be moving really slow. I sighed tiredly.

 
 

I wanted to go back to the dorm and rest right now since I had to do extra work by helping Tiffany with the lessons during recess and lunch. Not that it bothered me. I really didn't mind at all and I was glad that I could help the girl. But it kinda tired me out and drained my energy.

 
 

I tapped my fingers impatiently on my desk and looked at the clock for, what seemed to be, the 127th time now.

 
 

3:44 PM

 
 

Aish! It seems like it's been saying that for the past ten minutes! How long does it take for sixty seconds to end?

 
 

My thoughts were interrupted when I heard someone called my name.

 
 

"Jessica!"

 
 

I turned my head to my left, where the voice was coming from.

 
 

"What is it Yuri?" I snapped at her.

 
 

The girl just shrugged and flipped her long jet black hair, a trademark of hers that I somehow find conceited.

 
 

"You keep on looking at the clock every five seconds. If you stare at it any longer, it'll probably soon melt to the floor." Yuri said.

 
 

I let out a scoff. "Whatever. It just seems too long for class to end already."

 
 

"Well it's not the poor clock's fault! I mean seriously. If anyone caught you looking at the clock like that, they might think that you're declaring war against it or something." Yuri joked with a goofy grin.

 
 

"Haha." I laughed sarcastically. "Very funny, Kwon Yuri."

 
 

"Look who's talking! As if you're any more funny than me! Don't forget about your Sica Effect, Jung Jessica." she retorted with a smirk.

 
 

I grunted. Yuri sure did know how to tease me. Well, she is one of the few friends I have. She knew me well enough to tease.

 
 

Rrriiiiiiinnnnggggg!!!!!

 
 

That's my cue.

 
 

I took all of my books and placed it in my bag in one swift motion. I slung it over my shoulder and took my sketch book with my free hand.

 
 

"You seem pretty eager to leave, Sica. What's the rush?" Yuri asked as she neatly packed her things.

 
 

"No reason. I'm just kinda tired right now so I wanna go back to the dorm. Are you coming with me?" I replied.

 
 

Yuri put on her backpack and shook her head. "No. I'll be waiting for Yoona when her class ends. We'll just see you later, okay?"

 
 

Yuri and her roommate, Yoona, live at the dorm room next to mine. Since I didn't have anyone to share a room with, the two of then thought that it would be funny if they kept on barging into my room and bug me. At first it was annoying. But I got used to it and the three of us have become pretty close friends.

 
 

"Alright. See you." I nodded as I walked away and left Yuri.

 
 

I was already out of the room when a familiar and energetically loud voice suddenly called out my name.

 
 

"Jessica!" Tiffany greeted as she waved at me happily with an eye-smile.

 
 

I smiled shyly and waved back.

 
 

"What are you doing here, Tiffany?" I asked as she walked towards me.

 
 

"I'm waiting for you silly!" she chuckled.

 
 

I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion. "Oh. Uh...and why is that?"

 

 

 
 

I caught a tinge of pink in her cheeks before Tiffany looked away shyly.

 
 

Was she blushing? I thought to myself and chuckled happily. How cute!

 
 

"Well, you see...I was wondering if you could accompany me to my dorm room." she replied as she looked down and suddenly found interest in her pink shoes.

 
 

"I...um...don't really know where I could find it." she admitted as she shifted her feet uneasily. Then she looked up at me. "I have a weak sense of direction." she smiled, embarrassed.

 
 

I chuckled at the girl's straightforwardness. "Alright. I'll take you to the dorm. Do you know your room number?" I asked.

 
 

Tiffany nodded and took out a piece of paper from her pocket before handing it to me.

 
 

"Room 219." I read. "What a coincidence. That's the room across mine, Room 220."

 
 

Tiffany smiled again. "So does that mean we'll be seeing each other often?" she asked excitedly.

 
 

"I guess so."

 
 

"Yay! We could go together to school every morning! Then we'll go back together to the dorm when classes are over!" Tiffany clapped happily.

 
 

I couldn't help but smile at the girl's eagerness.

 
 

"Let's go now, Jessica!" Tiffany said as she suddenly linked arms with me.

 
 

I immediately tensed at the touch. I wasn't really used to skinship. Especially with a person I've just met. But one look at Tiffany's beautiful eye-smile and I felt myself slowly relaxing.

 

 

 
 

"Jessica?" I heard someone say.

 
 

I turned around with Tiffany's arm still linked with mine.

 
 

"Yuri?"

 
 

Yuri didn't say anything. She just stared at Tiffany then shifted her gaze at our linked arms. Then a sly grin was slowly forming on her face as she looked back at me.

 
 

"I guess this is why you were too excited to leave a while ago. Who's this new friend you're with, Jessica?" she asked in a playful voice.

 
 

I scowled and was about to say something but Tiffany beat me to it.

 
 

"Hi! I'm Tiffany Hwang! It's nice to meet you!" she said as she bowed first then stood up straight again, reaching an outstretched hand to Yuri.

 
 

"Tiffany huh?" Yuri said as she shook Tiffany's hand. "Well I'm Kwon Yuri. I'm a friend of Jessica's. I'd love to stay and chat but I'm afraid I have to leave now. It was nice meeting you Tiffany-ssi! I'll be seeing you around!"

 
 

Yuri bowed at Tiffany then smirked at me. Her eyes were gleaming mischievously and I could tell that she was teasing me.

 
 

Aish! This girl teases me without even saying anything.

 
 

But before I could even retort back at her, she already left, obviously heading for Yoona's last class. I sighed exasperatedly.

 
 

Tiffany tugged on my arm. "Shall we go now, Jessica?"

 
 

"Yeah. Let's go."

 
 

---

 
 

Finding Tiffany's dorm room wasn't hard at all, considering that it was just directly in front of mine.

 
 

Tiffany inserted the key into the keyhole and turned it along with the doorknob. The door opened with a slight creak as we pushed it open. We went inside the dark room and closed the door behind us.

 
 

"Ah, where's the light switch?" Tiffany asked.

 
 

I ran my hand across the wall, looking for the light switch but my fingers met something soft and smooth instead.

 
 

Click!

 
 

The room lit up and I saw that what my fingers found just now was actually Tiffany's hand. It seems like she was looking for the light switch too then I found her hand after she found the switch first.

 
 

We both looked at each other at the same time while our hands stayed there in the same place, with mine on top of hers. None of us pulled away. The warmth of our hands just lingered there for a moment.

 
 

However, that moment was ruined when a voice surprised us.

 
 

"Oh, you must be my new room mate. I'm sorry if I wasn't able to greet you properly. I just arrived." a short girl interrupted as she entered the room.

 
 

Tiffany and I shrieked a little, surprised by the sudden presence of another person. We quickly retreated our hands to our sides. I think I almost missed her warmth against the palm of my hand...

 
 

"Hello! I'm Kim Taeyeon. I'll be your roommate from now on." the short girl greeted as she bowed.

 
 

I mentally face-palmed myself. I forgot that someone was already living in this room.

 
 

"Hello Taeyeon-ssi! I'm Stephanie Hwang. But you can call me Tiffany!"

 
 

"Oh drop the formalities. We'll be close from now on so no need to call me Taeyeon-ssi. Just Taeyeon will be fine." Taeyeon said with a smile.

 
 

Looking at the short girl, she reminded me of an elementary kid. The way she smiled goofily and her vertically-challenged height...

 
 

"You're Jessica Jung right?" the girl asked as she faced me.

 
 

"Ah yes. I'm actually just from the room across yours. I don't see you usually around here though."

 
 

"You usually don't see me?" Taeyeon pouted like a little girl. "Well, I blame my height." she said as she feigned disappointment then laughed like an ahjumma, making Tiffany and me laugh too.

 
 

How ironic! She looks like an elementary kid but laughs like an ahjumma!

 
 

"Well, I'll be going to my room now." I said as I was about to take my leave.

 
 

I was already at the door when I felt a familiar warmth, a familiar hand grabbing mine, stopping me from taking a step further. I turned to look at Tiffany.

 
 

"Thank you Jessica." she said with another eye-smile. I could feel that she meant it genuinely.

 
 

"You're welcome Tiffany." I replied, also smiling. "I'll be at my room if you need anything okay? Don't be hesitant to ask."

 
 

---

 
 

Tiffany's POV

 
 

Should I? Or should I not?

 
 

I was standing outside of Jessica's room for quite some time now, debating with myself whether I should knock on her door or not. I rubbed my arms to keep myself warm as my whole body shivered involuntarily from the coldness of the night. I was planning to stay outside for a little while longer but the sudden chill that I felt across my skin making me shiver even more told me otherwise.

 
 

I briefly knocked three times on Jessica's door and waited for a few moments before I heard shuffling noises inside along with the grumbling of a certain girl. A now awakened Jessica opened the door carefully and was surprised when she saw me.

 
 

"Tiffany? What are you doing here? It's already midnight." Jessica asked groggily as she opened the door wider, enough for me to see her in her loose shirt and shorts that showed off the curves in her body.

 
 

"I...um...I can't sleep." I confessed as I looked down and played with cloth of my pink pajamas, distracting myself away from staring any longer at Jessica's perfectly framed body.

 
 

"Is there anything wrong?" Jessica asked as she slightly scratched the side of her waist, making the hem of her shirt go upward and let me see her smoothly toned stomach. I have to say, they looked absolutely delicio..Gah! What am I thinking?! 

 
 

"Well...n-not really." I stuttered. "Everything was fine until I woke up because...um, Taeyeon's been snoring a little too loudly." I answered as I scratched the back of my head before looking back at her. "So I was wondering if I could sleep in your room?"

 
 

Jessica just stared at me and blinked for a couple of times, making me a little conscious of myself.

 
 

"Erm...It's just for tonight. But it's alright if you don't want to. I'll just head back to my room then..."

 
 

Jessica blinked a few times more before finally replying. "No, it's fine with me. Come in."

 
 

I smiled gratefully as Jessica opened the door fully, allowing me to enter into her room. Jessica smiled back before closing the door and motioned me to follow her.

 
 

"Are you an artist?" I asked Jessica, taking notice of the canvasses, unfinished drawings, and art materials scattered in her living room.

 
 

"Yeah. I'm sorry you had to see all my mess back there." Jessica apologized before she opened the door to her bedroom.

 
 

There were two beds on both ends of the room, one was neatly fixed while the other one had creased sheets.

 
 

"It's just me who lives here. I don't have a roommate so you could sleep over there." Jessica said as she pointed at the neat bed and went to her own messy bed.

 
 

I nodded as I got on the bed and made myself comfortable as I lied down. It was a little dark in her room, but the little lamp on Jessica's nightstand illuminated enough light to let me see Jessica's face resting peacefully on top of her pillow.

 
 

"Jessica?" I asked quietly, not sure whether the girl was awake or not.

 
 

"Hmm?" she answered in a sleepily voice.

 
 

"Thank you."

 
 

"What for?"

 
 

"For everything you've done for me today."

 
 

"It was nothing, Tiffany. I was glad that I could help."

 
 

"No, seriously Jessica."

 
 

I played with the tip of my fingers as I stared at Jessica's ceiling.

 
 

"I was really worried this morning because I didn't know anybody here yet. And to make it worse, sometimes I have difficulty understanding Korean. I guess I was pretty lucky when I saw you sleeping on your desk this morning."

 
 

I chuckled as I remembered a blob of blonde hair resting her head lazily on her desk.

 
 

"You helped me out with the lessons I had trouble with. You walked me to my dorm room because I had a hard time finding it. And now you let me stay here with you when I couldn't sleep. Those may be nothing to you but they mean a lot to me, Jessica. So I'm really grateful. Meeting you was the best thing that happened to me today."

 
 

I glanced at Jessica to thank her once again but found her sleeping soundly already. I chuckled to myself as I watched her beautiful sleeping face that had a slight smile on it.

 
 

"Good night, Jessi." I said quietly before closing my eyes.

 
 

I wasn't sure whether I was dreaming already or not. But I swore that I heard Jessica's sweet and soft voice whisper something before I fell asleep.

 
 

"You're welcome, Tiffany. Good night."

 
 
 
 
 

TBC

 
 
 
 
 

A/N: I think my writing style was very different back then. I'll just post the second part tomorrow :)