10th Voice

Can You Hear Me?

 

“Are you okay?”

His warm hand my hair. And when I look up, I saw Yonghwa’s worried face.

Our eyes locked as they met. I gave him a nod as an answer. He smiled but his expression is still worried. He lifted his hands and wipes the tears from my eyes.

 

The sun is already gone when we went to the park and seated on the swing.

I felt a lot better after letting some fresh air fill me.

“here.” Yonghwa offered his handkerchief.

I took the pink handkerchief from his hands. And when I opened it, I saw the initials ‘SH’. My heart felt as if it was pricked by something sharp yet I tried to hide it and continuously wipe the newly made tears.

“Thank you,” I said as I give him back his handkerchief. He took it and kept it in his chest pocket.

“Can I ask you something?” I spoke up.

“Sure.”

“Uhm…why are you still in school even at this hour?”

“hmm… nothing.” He is looking at his feet now.

“Seriously?”

“Yeah. You do not believe me?”

“Yeah,” I said seriously but I can’t hold my laughter in the end. I didn’t notice that he stood up from the swing and walked behind me.

“Hold on tight,” he said holding the chain of the swing, pulling me back then pushing it as hard as he could. I hold on tight as he said and close my eyes.

My hair got loose from its knot and freely moves along the wind…

 

I remembered when ‘he’ used to take me to the park and push the swing so high with mom beside him.

 

Something trickles into my face.

 

rain

 

I thought when I opened my palm and felt some water drops. I quickly stood up from the swing and YongHwa covered me with his jacket. We took shelter under a waiting shed and waited for the rain to stop. But it seems like the rain won’t do so.

 

“Let’s go to our studio,” he suggested. “Since it’s just near and you can wait for the rain to stop there.”

I agreed and followed his lead as we ran across the road and took a shortcut to an alley. I was a little bit scared because of the dark, poky alley but when YongHwa holds my shoulder somehow I feel that he’s saying ’it’s okay. Don’t be scared.’

We stopped in front of a red bricked building that says. FnC Academy.

“Wait here.” He entered the building and talked to the guard. While having a conversation with him, he was looking at me every second that he would evade his eyes from the guard. He bowed to the guard and then walks off to me.

“Let’s go,” he said and smiled. He grabs my hand and led me into their practice room. It seems like no one’s using it since the lights are off.

 

“We’re here,” YongHwa said as he turns on the lights.

 

He offered me a seat on a foldable chair. Then he seated beside me. Both of us were dripping wet.

“Wait.”

He went out and came back with towels hanging on his arm. He gave me one. I pressed it on my hair then wipes my face afterwards.

“So you guys often practice her?” I asked.

I look around and there were musical instruments scattered all over the place. Walls painted in white, while one side is covered with mirror.

I can imagine them playing altogether in the studio. They were giving their best to prove themselves.

 

“Most of the times…” he was drying his hair with the towel and then shakes his head like a dog. Some water sprinkles on my face.

“wah..doggy Yong,”

“What did you call me?” he asked as his eyed widened with curiosity. I zip my mouth and said, “Nothing.”

He looks at me suspiciously with his narrowing eyes and then again shakes his head but this time it was directly at my face.

“Stop it doggy Yong!” I covered my face with the back of my hands and then giggle at him. I move a bit every time he’s approaching while shaking his head. But then he stops, combs his hair and looks at my face. I was feeling a bit uneasy so I moved back and fell of my chair. I know he is grinning even if he covered his mouth with his hand.

“Silly JinYi,” he stood up and gave me a hand. And when I was about to grab it, he draws it back. He was now laughing out loud. I was feeling a pissed off when he offered his hand again. “Now, really.”

I decided to play a prank at him. When I took his hand, I pulled him as hard as I could. But instead of making him land on his back, he landed on top of me.

“Ouch!” we both yelped at the same time.

I thought he was going to stand up when he leaned and his hands were on the floor beside my head. I looked into his face and saw his damp face and his hair still dripping a bit. I could hear him breathe through his mouth. I can’t help but stare at him and drift into my own thoughts.

he…looks… so…manly…

 

“Wah! Wh-what are you doing to her? erted Hyung!” MinHyuk pointed at us as soon as he entered the room and saw us in this position. JongHyun and JungShin followed. Both of their eyes widened and they became still.

uh oh…

“I-it’s a misunderstanding! I’m not doing anything to her!” Yonghwa seems to feel a bit embarrassed because he was called erted. Jonghyun and Jungshin grab both of Yonghwa’s arms and drag him up, while Minhyuk lends me a hand.

 

“Oh yeah, we almost forgot. We got a surprise for you Hyung.” Jungshin went outside.

 

It was unexpected, the pretty SeoHyun came in then Jungshin followed.

I watched the two of them look at each other. I can’t handle this throbbing feeling anymore.

 

“Excuse me, but I think I need to go.” I faked a smile as I excuse myself and quickly walk outside. I was about to exit the building when Jonghyun grabs my arm.

 

“Let me give you a ride.”