"It's so beautiful..."

I Need You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Sunggyu woke up to find Eun-shil still sleeping on his shoulder, with her hands wrapped around his arm under the blanket. The beanie that she was wearing tickled his neck, and from his view, he could see Eun-shil's lips were slightly parted and it looked like she was breathing through . He kept on gazing down on her face when she furrowed and stirred, and she made a low purring sound and tightened her wrap around Sunggyu's arm. When she opened her eyes then she realised whose arm she was actually holding and she let it go awkwardly.

 

She sat up straight and didn't look at Sunggyu, for fear that he'd notice her distraught face. She asked herself how she could be so comfortable with Sunggyu, with Woohyun in her mind at that time.

 

Woohyun...

 

"Did you get a good sleep?" Sunggyu asked, pushing the blanket away from him and pretended to fix his hair.

"Yes... Sorry I fell asleep here." She said, timidly.

Sunggyu said nothing but patted her head. "The chemo won't start before 9, right?"

"Um..." Eun-shil glanced at the clock on the wall. "Can we... go and take a walk?"

"A walk?"

"Uh-huh..." She gripped the blanket gently. "It'll be hard to do so once I started my chemo..."

 

Sunggyu only patted her head, saying nothing.

 

Eun-shil was walking slowly at the hospital park, pulling her sweater closer to her torso. It was still early in the morning and it was quiet, and no one was around except for her and Sunggyu. She wore a mask too, after being forced by Sunggyu who said not to take any risk before the chemo. She looked at the sky, beyond the trees. It was almost summer but the air was still cold.

 

They said nothing as Sunggyu was trailing behind her, studying her back, which look somehow stronger that day. Sunggyu was a bit worried since the air was chilly as it could get so he walked up to her and removed his jacket, putting it on her. Eun-shil turned to him with a surprised look on her face. Before she could say anything, Sunggyu was fixing the jacket on her shoulders and pulled it closer to her chest.

 

While he was standing before her, still fixing the jacket, he noticed Eun-shil was looking beyond him, and her eyes went bleak and was fixed on what she was looking at. Sunggyu turned slowly and saw a man in his forties holding hands with whom he supposed to be his wife. His wife might have been younger but her face looked drained, her frame was so small, and her skin was pale white and she had to lean on the support from her husband to walk. She was also wearing a beanie, and once she saw Eun-shil, she gave her a small smile. Eun-shil however didn't return it as she kept on staring at the empty space after the couple had walked past them.

 

Eun-shil gripped Sunggyu's shirt unconsciously, as she began to feel something heavy filling her chest. Sunggyu removed her hand and gripped it tight before leading her into the hospital building again and as soon as she sat on her bed, she tried to act normal but Sunggyu had seen through it all. He said nothing however as a doctor came along with a nurse and they began to set her up for the chemo. Eun-shil was almost silent, nodding to the doctor's instruction.

 

As they had set up all the IVs for her, Eun-shil looked at Sunggyu for a very long time, saying nothing. Sunggyu was only watching her, sometimes burdened by her gaze but he couldn't look away. When her eyes began dimming, he touched her face and Eun-shil closed her eyes and drifted off to sleep.

 

He kept on her cheek, thinking about the fear he saw in her eyes earlier.

Thinking about his fears.

 

 

Woohyun was barely able to even drive but he gathered himself and went to work despite his throbbing headaches. He had to at least make use of the time to finish his work before taking more leaves to take care of Eun-shil. His boss was of course, understanding but he was still afraid to be seen as taking an advantage towards the whole situation. He'd called Sunggyu to ask him to take care of her, apologizing for not being there. Sunggyu told him to get some rest and come back as soon as he was well again but Woohyun was never at rest.

 

Woohyun stood in front of Eun-shil's room, wearing a mask over his mouth. He was still unwell, and the last thing he'd want was for Eun-shil to catch the virus from him. The doctor had warned him that even the lightest cold can kill her. He knew he shouldn't even be there but his heart was aching for Eun-shil and there was nothing he could about it to lessen the pain. He stared at the door for a long time before walking away, trying to breathe properly.

 

 

When Sunggyu arrived that evening, he sanitized his hands thoroughly, making sure he was really clean before putting on a gown and a mask. He entered the room quietly and saw Eun-shil lying on the rest chair, with the IVs for the chemo attached on her. Eun-shil was only awake until noon but since the chemo was to be administered for 24 hours, she never woke up again until the next day. So Sunggyu went back home and tried to sleep but his mind drifted off to Eun-shil yet again.

 

The next morning, he came to donate his bone marrow and prior to the procedure, he gave Woohyun a call just to be disappointed to hear that he was still unwell. Nevertheless, he went on with the procedure, hoping Eun-shil won't wake up before he did. Eun-shil's chemo was stopped to give her a rest before the transplant so Sunggyu visited her to tell her about it. She looked somehow dazed and confused but she nodded timidly when she had heard about it.

 

"Although you call it a bone, it's not really a bone, isn't it?" Sunggyu said, tilting his head.

Eun-shil laughed weakly and went on looking at him.

"I thought that they were going to like, take out my whole bone and put it inside you." He laughed to himself.

"Then... Oppa won't have any bone..." She laughed again.

"Fair enough." He grinned. "I'd give you all my bones if you need them."

Eun-shil diverted her gaze down on her feet. "No, don't waste them on me."

Sunggyu pinched her nose lightly, surprising her and spoke with a low voice. "It won't be a waste. I'd really give them all to you, Eun-shil."

Eun-shil stared at Sunggyu for a while before looking down on her laps and smiled to herself.

 

After she had fallen asleep, he left her room and went to the procedure room. Sunggyu was lying nervously on the surgical bed, as he was listening to the doctor. He choked a bit when the doctor said that they will use the similar big needle as he had saw before and it will be done like fifty times. He was glad that he would be put under sleep then or else he might cry for real. But, he knew that it was really nothing, compared to what Eun-shil was going through.

 

This is nothing for her.

And if all this work, he thought he'd be the happiest person in the world.

Of course.

 

As someone was administering the sedatives, he smiled to himself, remembering Eun-shil's face when she smiles before passing out.

 

Eun-shil opened her eyes heavily before gazing around her empty room. She had felt the nurse coming over and checked on her but she couldn't even move her body, lying limply on the rest chair. She felt nauseous but there was nothing to throw up for. Even when they had stopped the chemo, she was still feeling lethargic. She called out for Sunggyu and waited but then she remembered that Sunggyu was having the procedure. She gazed dreamily at the ceiling, wondering how Sunggyu was doing and hoping he won't feel any

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter