Chapter 9: The Big Question Mark

Worth A Try

“… Ji Hyo-ah… seeing you with that man… it really hurts..”

 All of a sudden, Ji Hyo’s heart beat three times faster than before. There were so many questions in her head that needed to be answered right away. She sat down, incapable of supporting her own weight. Her brain worked harder than before, trying to understand everything. Trying to understand that one single sentence.

What man? Could it be Chang Joo oppa? Where did he see us together? Why does it hurt him? All of those questions were coming out of nowhere, forcing her to think harder. But there was no use of thinking more. Everything led her to nothing. It was all blank. Until two big questions appeared in her mind: What did it mean? Does he like me?

Ji Hyo took a look at Jong Kook carefully. His hair, his eyelid, his fingers. He was so perfect. He could sing any song beautifully and he still smelled good even when he was drunk. He looked so angel-like when he was asleep and he looked even more enchanting when he wasn’t. How can a man like him falling in love with someone like me? Doubt filled Ji Hyo’s mind with insecurity. She still couldn’t believe what he just said. The unconfident woman changed her position and sat on the floor with her arms folded on the sofa, looking at Jong Kook’s face.

“Oppa, why did you say that words?” She placed her chin on her arms, unable to take her eyes off of him. Nobody could answer the question. Not even Jong Kook himself. He fell asleep right after he told her about his feeling.

“Oppa, answer me.” Ji Hyo begged him again, even though she knew he wouldn’t answer. She got really emotional, even though she didn’t know why. She covered her face with her hands and started mumbling words. Tears streamed down her cheeks.

“Jong Kook oppa.. I really like you, I really do. I think about you all the time these 2 days. It is probably too fast, but I have to admit that I have a special feeling for you. But… but you…” She couldn’t finish her sentence. Her hands were shaking and she could hear her own voice cracked. She cried there for quite a long time. After spending a half hour sobbing without any pause, she took a deep breath and braced herself. She wiped her tears and continued her words.

“You’re drunk. You won’t even remember what you just said to me today when you wake up tomorrow. How could you do this to me?!” The volume of her voice increased. “Yah Kim Jong Kook!!!” She hit Jong Kook’s arm and burst into tears again. For a long time she stayed on that position, placing her forehead on her folded hands while holding Jong Kook’s fingers tightly, not wanting to let go of him.

You went out with another woman just a few hours ago, oppa. Now you're sleeping on my couch after saying those words to me. I'm so happy, but how can I believe you?

She could hear the sound of raindrops out there and she could feel the air got colder, but she didn’t care. She cried even louder and blamed herself for falling for Jong Kook. She was having a war between her heart and her brain. She thought of reasons why she was right for loving him and why she was wrong for loving him. Most of the time she was just looking at Jong Kook's fingers and holding it, wondering what would happen if he woke up. Wondering what would happen to their relationship. Wondering would he remember about what he said.

Spending an hour thinking about Jong Kook made Ji Hyo felt even more suffered. She was being unconsistent about her own feelings. She blamed herself continuously untill she fell asleep in an uncomfortable position.

 


 

Jong Kook tried to gain consciousness. His whole body was in pain because he slept on the sofa last night. He was not ready to open his eyes yet. But something about situation made him feel that he really needed to wake up. He could feel something warm and soft on his hand, making him felt more comfortable than before. But when he changed his position, he could feel pain in his head. He wondered what made him feel that way. And he finally knew the answer. He was drunk, that could explain all the pain. He actually noticed it from the smell of soju on his leather jacket.

Jong Kook tried to wake up, although his eyes were really hard to open.

“Ji Hyo-ah?!!!” Jong Kook shouted when he saw Ji Hyo was sitting on the floor. She was actually sleeping there with her fingers holding Jong Kook’s hand tightly. She had not made any change of position since last night.

Jong Kook didn’t think much about what actually happened yesterday. All he knew was to get Ji Hyo up from the floor. It was 7 a.m. and the air was really cold. He couldn’t bare seeing Ji Hyo sleeping on the cold floor like that. He lifted her up gently and lay her down on the couch. Now he could think about what really happened yesterday.

Aigooo! I spent the whole night at Ji Hyo’s place! Jong Kook said to himself when he realized what happened last night, although he didn’t remember the confession thing at all. He felt bad for making such a trouble for her. Jong Kook sighed and took out his phone, checking for new messages. But there was no message at all, so he put it back on his jacket’s pocket. But suddenly, it vibrated. He quickly picked it up, worried that the small noise might wake Ji Hyo up. It was a call from Soya.

“Soya, why did you call so early?!” He whispered.

“Samchon, I told you I would call to make sure you had visited Song Ji Hyo-ssi.” His niece grumbled.

“Aiish, it’s not the right time! I’m going to hang up, bye Soya.” Jong Kook was annoyed so he hung up the phone.  He turned to see Ji Hyo again and got a little bit surprised when he saw Ji Hyo was awake. But he got even more surprised when he heard Ji Hyo said a sentence with a flat tone.

“Get out Jong Kook oppa.”

"What?" Jong Kook couldn't believe what he just heard.

"Get out, Jong Kook oppa." Ji Hyo sat on the couch and said the words coldly again without even looking at his eyes. She was avoiding eye contact. Jong Kook could see hurt in her eyes.

"Ji Hyo-ah, oppa is really sorry for what happened last night. I was drunk and I couldn't think—“

Jong Kook didn’t finish his sentence after realizing Ji Hyo wouldn’t change her mind.

"Bye Ji Hyo." He opened the door and walked outside to his car.

Ji Hyo saw him walking away, letting him go. You’re so stupid Song Ji Hyo! Why did you let him go? You could’ve asked him about the thing last night!! She was so confused. The first thing she saw when she woke up today was Jong Kook. She knew well that she would fall in love with him even more if she didn’t ask him to go away. She was too afraid to fall in love again.

On the other hand, Jong Kook walked out in disbelief. He knew something was not right. He probably did or said something wrong last night when he was drunk. I’m so stupid! She’s definitely mad at me!! Aish, now what should I do?! He thought as he went in to his car. When he started the car’s engine, another car stopped in front of Ji Hyo’s place. Jong Kook didn’t notice that and kept driving away, leaving Ji Hyo with fear of losing her.

The other car was parked perfectly right behind the area where Jong Kook’s car was parked before. The owner went out and walked to Ji Hyo’s door, knocking it gently. Ji Hyo heard the knock and assumed it was Jong Kook. She stood behind the door for awhile, thinking what she would say to him. After putting aside her fear, she decided to act cold. Mong Ji took a deep breath and opened the door.

“Oppa, I told you to go away!!” She yelled impolitely.

“Ji Hyo-ah?” The person who was standing in front of her was really surprised.

“Ah, Chang Joo oppa….” Ji Hyo stood still, not knowing what to say or what to explain.