Chapter 10: His Voice

Worth A Try

Chang Joo was surprised. He never heard Ji Hyo yelled like that before. But another thing that made him more confused was who was she yelling to? She didn’t seem to yell at the right person.

“I’m really sorry oppa! I thought you were somebody else” Ji Hyo bowed politely. Her attitude changed 100% in front of her boss.

“It’s okay Ji Hyo-ah. Are you waiting for someone else? I’m sorry if I interrupt or something.” The smile that Chang Joo showed to Ji Hyo was a sincere smile. He couldn’t be mad at her.

“No oppa. Come on in.” She stepped aside giving Chang Joo a space to walk in.

Ji Hyo asked him to have a seat and gave him a glass of water. She sat in front of him, on the couch where Jong Kook slept on last night. She felt awkward because Chang Joo didn’t say a thing. But when he finally asked something, Ji Hyo felt more awkward because she didn’t know what to answer.

“Who was the guy who came here earlier before me, Ji Hyo-ah?”

He knows?? I don’t want him to think something was going on between me and Jong Kook oppa. What should I say??! He’s my boss, he’ll be mad at me if he knows a man spent a night here. Ji Hyo was dilemma. She thought it would be best if she just asked back.

“How do you know about it?” She tried her best to hide her fear of getting caught by Chang Joo.

“I saw a car left your house just before I parked. So I assume he was just getting out of your house. I know he was a guy because you mention oppa back then.” Chang Joo explained it with normal expression. He didn’t seem mad at her. But Ji Hyo could tell the CEO was a little bit disappointed.

“Ah, I see. It was nothing oppa.” She nodded, still hesitated to tell him that it was Jong Kook whom he saw.

“You’re actually saying ‘it’s none of your business’ in a polite way, right Ji Hyo-ah?” Instead of being pissed off because she wouldn’t tell her truth, Chang Joo laughed out loud. The woman in front of him stayed in silence, not really thinking that it was a good joke.

“Umm oppa, what are you doing here, anyway?” Ji Hyo tried to change the topic.

“About that… umm…” Chang Joo couldn’t finish his sentence. He drank his water and changed his sitting position.

“Is there anything bad going on at the office?” Ji Hyo had a bad feeling about Chang Joo’s visit. She was worried that there were some problems with the company.

“It’s not like that Ji Hyo-ah. I actually came to…” Chang Joo drank his water again. He seemed so nervous that he was chocked up when the water reached his throat. Ji Hyo waited for him to say another word. She tried her best to act polite. That was the reason why she didn’t laugh when she saw Chang Joo spilled some of the water.

“Umm. Here’s the thing Ji Hyo-ah. Do you want to have a dinner with me? Next week probably?” Their eyes didn’t meet when he asked her out. Yes, he was too afraid to look at her.

Although Ji Hyo was famous for her image as the blank Ji Hyo, she wasn’t really that blank. Her jaws dropped when she heard the question. It wasn’t a confession, but she knew where the conversation was going. She really wanted to say no since she just realized that she gave Chang Joo her chocolate, but not her heart. Her heart was already taken away by Jong Kook the moment he knocked her door. Sadly, Ji Hyo didn’t have the nerve to say no to Chang Joo. He was her boss, she didn’t know what would happen to her career if she told him no.

“Okay….” She said weakly. Chang Joo was overexcited; he didn’t even notice that Ji Hyo said it with hesitation. He mentioned the place and the time, hoping that Ji Hyo wouldn’t be late. Meanwhile, the woman nodded to everything he said, not really paying attention on the information given.

Chang Joo rushed to the door and once again told her not to be late. She nodded again and smiled forcefully. It turned out Chang Joo came to her house only to ask that one single sentence.

 


 

Jong kook lay on his bed. He desperately sang “Men Are All Like That” to himself. It’s been three days since that day. She didn’t call me at all and I didn’t have the right to call her. She’s really mad at me. Maybe she really hates me. I ruin myself!! He turned his body around and placed his face on the pillow. He felt like a jerk to her. A drunken man went to a woman’s house and spent a night there, saying things that the man couldn’t even remember. The next day, he found the woman was sleeping on the floor holding his hand, aaaand… she tell him to go away. To be honest, Jong Kook didn’t really understand what happened on that day. If she really hated him, why would she hold his hand? But if she didn’t dislike him, why would she tell him to go away? Women are hard to understand. That was his final conclusion.

Despite of their ruined relationship, they still had to see each other on the running man set tomorrow. For a few times, Jong Kook repeated the same sentences all over again.

“Ji Hyo-ah. I’m really sorry for that night. But I really don’t understand the issue.”

It’s the truth. I really don’t understand what happened that night. But she’ll be even madder if I say it like that. Women don’t like it when men don’t know what their faults are. He sighed and tried to find a better sentence. But he knew he wouldn’t find any better thing to say. It was the truth and it was what he was going to tell her. Women like truths. Jong Kook turned his body around again and stared at the ceiling. He continued to sing his song and hoped Ji Hyo was listening the song too. Well, she was.

Aiiiissh. Oppa’s voice is so beautiful. I’m addicted to him. I can’t stay mad at him. Aaaah, I’m a fool! I’m avoiding him only because I’m afraid of falling in love. Well…. It’s not a good reason to avoid a person. Ji Hyo stared at the television, although her mind was not on the film she was watching. Her mind was on Jong Kook’s songs she played on her phone. Every 15 minute she checked the electronic device, hoping that there was a call from Jong Kook. But no, there wasn’t any call from him. She couldn’t blame him for not calling her. She was the one who was avoiding him anyway. But she couldn’t be consistent when it came to Jong Kook. She wanted to be with him, but she didn’t want to fall for him. Decisions oh decisions….

Jong Kook oppa. You really didn’t call at all. You don’t care about me… you never care about me. The picture of Jong Kook and the young woman she saw at the bus station kept invading her mind. That woman was beautiful and… young. Of course Jong Kook oppa doesn’t have any interest in me. She was far more attractive than this blank person he saw every week.

But another thought came to Ji Hyo’s mind. Chang Joo. The dinner. She sighed, not wanting to think any further about the man. She often thought she should’ve said now earlier. That way she wouldn’t give him too much expectation. And then she thought about manager unnie. Chang Joo and her manager seemed like they are having a special relationship together. That would explain why she invited him to the party. But a part of Ji Hyo knew perfectly that Chang Joo really had an interest in her from the way he asked her to go to dinner together. So maybe he wasn’t in a relationship with manager unnie.

There were always ‘buts’, ‘ifs’, and ‘should haves’ in Ji Hyo’s mind. This time, she chose to ignore her noisy brain. She rested her mind by listening to Jong Kook’s voice continuously until she fell asleep.

Ji Hyo-ah. I hope you can hear me. Jong Kook sang his song again from the start.

 


A/N: I started to care less about the english, I hope you're not bothered by the mistakes I made XD. Anyway, can anybody guess what will happen at the dinner??

Thanks for subscribing and commenting. Your comments always cheer me up!