Chapter 17: The Real Intention

Worth A Try

Jong Kook the radio and started to drive. He glanced at Ji Hyo for a few times, making sure that she was really awake. He smiled, she smiled. He laughed, she laughed. They were really in love with each other. No word could describe that.

Aroung 8 a.m. they arrived at Jong Kook’s hometown. It was a small city with small number of citizen. Ji Hyo was looking at the city view when Jong Kook stopped his car in front of a motel.

“Finally…” Jong Kook sighed. “Ji Hyo, this is the motel. Have a sleep first for a few hours, and then oppa will pick you up again here when you’re ready to meet my parents. Are you okay with that?” He told her his plan.

“Yup, I’m absolutely fine with it. You better get some sleep too when you arrive, oppa. You look really tired.” She smiled at him. Ji Hyo grabbed her bag and went out the car. She waved at him and waited for him to drive his car off, but instead he went out to and walked toward her.

“Ji Hyo-ah, be fine okay?” He said softly and placed his hand on her cheek with affection.

“I’m an adult, oppa. Don’t talk to me like that.” She blushed because Jong Kook’s face was really close to hers. That gentle side of Jong Kook made Ji Hyo felt loved. He was so caring and affectionate. Ji Hyo couldn’t help but looked away shyly.

“Sleep tight, Ji Hyo-ah!” He let go of her and walked back to his car. The man acted cheerful as usual, so different from the image he showed her just a few seconds ago.

After waving her a goodbye, Jong Kook went straight to his house which was 15 minutes away from the motel. He knew the town so well that he remembered every single corner of the street. The town had not changed much since the last time he went there a year ago. Some traffic lights still didn’t work and almost all of the trees stayed the same. It was like going back to the past again. The small town reminded him of his childhood memories. He used to be a small town boy who dreamed of becoming a singer. Now things about him had changed.

He stopped in front of an old house. He used to live there. It wasn’t just a house to him, it was a home. He used to play games under the big old tree that was still there even now. He used to feel loved, protected, happy, and young. He still could feel those things now, but something was missing. He needed to make his own home for his own family for the sake of his own happiness. He wanted to love and being loved again. And with Ji Hyo, he felt that the dream was somehow going to become true.

He turned off the engine and walked towards the closed door. He paused a minute or two right in front of the door, preparing himself to meet his family. But when he was about to open the door, a familiar voice called him from behind.

“Ah-deul?” He knew the voice so well. He really missed that voice. That peaceful voice used to sing him to sleep. That beautiful voice used to tell him to stop crying. Jong Kook hesitated before he finally turned his body to face the owner of the voice.

“eomma!” He hugged the old woman’s body without even making any eye contact with her. He didn’t want to let her go, not even a second. But the old woman pushed him away slowly, trying to take a better look at her son.

“Jong Kook, my son, what brings you home so early in the morning?” She clutched his arms with her wrinkled fingers.

“Eomma, I come to see you. Why aren’t you resting? Are you feeling well?” He started worrying about his mother’s condition.

“Feeling well? Of course I’m feeling well.” She said laughingly as she opened the door and let him come in.

“What do you mean you feel well? You’re sick, eomma.” He didn’t take his eyes off the woman who gave him birth.

“Who told you that?? I’m fine. I even feel younger day by day, ah-deul.” She touched Jong Kook’s head gently and smiled at him. Then the old woman walked to the living room that was located in the center of the house. The house was not big, but it was really comfy and warm.

“Appa told me that you’re sick.” Jong Kook continued. He started to feel that there was something wrong there.

“I was sick, but I’m alright now. How about you, ah-deul? I miss you so much.” She said warmly as she put the things that she brought earlier on the table.

“I’m quite well actually." He said shortly and then continued the topic he wanted to talk about. " I don't really thing you're fine, eomma. Appa said—“

“Aah, I just remember now ah-deul. He said he wanted to introduce you to a woman. He wants you to get married soon. He told me that you wouldn’t come if he told you his real intention, so I guess he lied to you to get you here. ” She told him the information with surprised look in her face. Jong Kook, who was still carrying his suitcase in his right hand, dropped the heavy bag as soon as he understood the meaning of the statements.

“I have the right to choose my own future wife, eomma!!” He didn’t know what to do. Anger, sadness, confusion, and disappointment were being mixed inside his head.

“I know, I know. I’ve told him so, but he didn’t want to listen.” She stopped what she was doing immediately when she heard Jong Kook’s trembling voice.

“But please, for once, do as he says, Jong Kook. Your appa worked so hard for you, and now all he wants is just for you to have your own family. It is for your own good.” She said with soft voice, nearly begging to his son.

Jong Kook didn’t dare to see his mother’s eyes. He was too angry at that moment that he was afraid that he could hurt his mother with rude words.

“eomma… I can’t argue with you. But I already have a girlfriend.” He said slowly, waiting for his mother’s respond.

“Ah-deul, I’m very happy for you. You know eomma will love any girl that you love; all you have to do is to convince your appa that she is the right one.” She looked really sorry for him. Jong Kook’s father was really hard to convince, and he wasn’t sure that the old man would like Ji Hyo.

“Aigoo eomma….”

Suddenly they heard the sound of the door being opened.

“Ah, it’s you appa, Jong Kook. Just go and say hello to him.” Her eomma said worriedly. It was like she had known already that something bad was going to happen.

Jong Kook left his suitcase there where he dropped it earlier. He walked slowly to the door behind his eomma. Jong Kook was frustrated with his father’s deed on deciding Jong Kook’s future wife by himself. He came home not to talk about this marriage thing but to visit his ill mother who wasn’t actually ill. However, he didn’t regret driving all night long to the town. If it wasn’t because of the trip, he wouldn’t have asked Ji Hyo to be his girlfriend. But why??? Why does this beautiful morning has to be ruined by the marriage thing?! He was screaming inside his head.

When they reached the door, Jong Kook saw a figure that he wouldn’t forget. His appa looked older now. Jong Kook smiled at him, trying to control himself. When the older man saw his son, he smiled in excitement as he hugged him tightly.

“Jong Kook, you finally came back!!” He tapped his son’s back for a few times to express his love for Jong Kook.

“Appa, eomma said you have something to tell me.” Jong Kook said seriously as his father pulled himself away from his son.

“Aishh, your eomma really likes to gossip around about everything. She couldn’t keep a secret nor a surprise.” He laughed excitedly, not noticing Jong Kook’s annoyed look.

“Go straight to the point, appa.” Jong Kook said coldly with a little smile in his face.

“Ah-deul, why are you being like this? Let’s drink tea together first. Go to the dining room, I’ll try to wake your sister up” He said casually without making any eye contact with his son.

“No appa, let’s talk now.” Jong Kook didn’t want to waste his time to talk about weather and sports with his father. He needed to know the truth and the detail about the matchmaking.

“Okay, I’ll tell you the truth. My friend from the A company had a beautiful and smart daughter, and I’m just thinking maybe you two can get along really well.” He said really fast, without even giving any space for Jong Kook to cut his words.

“Now it’s time for me to tell you the truth. I have a girlfriend and I’m happy with her.” He said flatly.

“Aishh ah-deul, your ex-girlfriends were all bad women. They were only using you. I don’t even think you have a real girlfriend now. You could’ve told me that just because you don’t want me to introduce you to this smart girl.” He said skeptically as he walked to the living room. Jong Kook followed him there and picked his suitcase from the floor. He stood still there, watching his appa walked back and forth doing nothing. He knew the old man was nervous.

“Her name is Song Ji Hyo and she isn’t a bad woman. If you don’t believe me, it’s your problem appa. But for your information, I brought her here! She is real! Real, appa! Unlike the woman you want me to meet. ” He couldn’t control his anger anymore. He had never been this mad to his parents.

“Jong Kook, don’t yell at your father like that!!” His eomma tried to remind him of his rude behavior.

Jong Kook didn’t say anything else. He could see his father standing still in front of him from the corner of his eyes. He didn’t dare to look at the older man after saying those rude things to him. But anger was still invading his mind and there was nothing else he could do. Yes, he felt impolite, and yes he was aware of that. But he could not help it.

He rushed back to the door and went out of the house. He could hear his mother’s voice calling him, but he didn’t want to look back. He went into his car and headed to the motel. Soon the anger turned into sadness and hurt. The things he said about Ji Hyo aren’t right. I know I’m wrong, but that doesn’t make him right either!

Jong Kook sped up his car until he arrived at the motel. He called Ji Hyo and asked her which room she was in.

“Jong Kook oppa, what’s wrong?” Ji Hyo asked him curiously as soon as she picked up her phone.

“What room are you in Ji Hyo-ah?” Jong Kook asked coldly. For a moment, Ji Hyo hesitated to answer the question. She didn’t understand why Jong Kook suddenly acted so cold, but she answered it anyway.

“Room 8, oppa.” She said slowly.

“Oppa will be there in a second Ji Hyo-ah. I’m sorry.” He apologized as soon as he realized that he was being cold to her.

Jong Kook hung up the phone and without thinking any further, he went out the car and searched for Ji Hyo’s room. It wasn’t a big motel so he could find the right room just in a few steps. He knocked the door and it didn’t take long for Ji Hyo to open it for him.

Ji Hyo stared at Jong Kook with a blank face. She wondered what was Jong Kook doing there. She wanted to ask him, but before she could, Jong Kook stepped closer to her and put his arms around her waist. He hugged her so tight that she could hardly breathe. But she still didn’t say anything. Jong Kook, however, could not hold his tears any longer. He cried like a little boy looking for protection.

Of course Ji Hyo was surprised. She really didn’t know what was going on, but she knew her oppa was hurt. She did not need any further explanation from him. At certain time like that, it would be best to remain silence.

Honestly, seeing Jong Kook acting like that made Ji Hyo felt weak. But she knew she had to be strong for him. The younger woman put her arms around Jong Kook’s body and let him stay in that position for awhile.

 


A/N: Yup, I'm being cruel to them again. Their relationship was only a few hours old and I'm already messing with their feelings like this. I'm so cruel. Yep, I'm so cruel...  Please don't kill me dear spartace lovers... I'm begging youuu T_T