Chapter 7: The Knock on The Door

Worth A Try

The valentine's day from Jong Kook's point of view


 

Jong Kook’s eyes were tightly closed. It was already 9 a.m. and he was still in bed. He couldn’t sleep last night. He kept on thinking about something that he himself didn’t know. After Ji Hyo left his house yesterday, he could feel some kind of loneliness attacking him.

He might look like he was still sleeping now, but his mind was already awakened. He could still smell Ji Hyo’s scent. Whether it was just in his mind or not, he didn’t even care. Ji Hyo smelled good. That was all he knew. He was too lazy to get up from bed so he stayed there looking at the ceiling.

Suddenly his phone vibrated. He forced himself to get up from bed and picked the phone up. It was Soya, his niece, who was calling.

“What’s up Soya?” Jong Kook asked casually although he knew she didn’t usually call.

“Samchooon…. Are you doing anything today?” She asked desperately.

“Okay Soya, can you just go straight to the point? What do you want?” Jong Kook suddenly felt sleepy again. He could smell something from the way Soya asked him.

“Samchon, he broke up with mee!! On the Valentine’s Day!!!!” Soya grumbled.

“Today is the Valentine’s Day?” Jong Kook ignored Soya’s first sentence. He wasn’t really interested in his niece’s love life.

“Yes. I pity myself!! I'm alone on the Valnetine's Day. You’re not going anywhere, right samchon? Let’s go somewhere together.”

“Aigoo you’re mocking your samchon, eh Soya? You think I don’t have any date on the valentine’s day?” He grumbled too. Being single wasn’t so good. He was a really good looking man, he worked out every day to build those muscles to attract woman. Okay, actually he was doing it for his own health.

“Just admit it, samchon. You really don’t have any date today. I know you too well.”

“Aish you’re killing me.”

Jong Kook got ready to pick Soya up and took her somewhere nice. He was a really kind uncle. He really wanted to please his niece and helped her going through her breakup, although she didn’t seem so sad about it. This could explain why she trusted him very much. To be honest, he was the first person she called after the break up.

 They decided to meet at the city park near Soya’s apartment. Jong Kook drove all the way there and arrived just before 10 o’clock. The city park wasn’t big at all. It was very simple yet so beautiful. There are large trees everywhere and colorful flowers were planted along with them. Jong Kook walked and looked around searching for Soya. But the young woman, who was in her early 20s, had not arrived yet. Jong Kook kept walking, but this time he was searching for a place to sit. He found a bench under a huge tree and sat there.

Suddenly he heard a familiar voice. It was like the person with the voice was having a conversation with someone else. He looked back, trying to find the source of the voice and saw Song Ji Hyo sitting on a bench a few meters away behind him. She was sitting with an older man, probably three years older than Jong Kook.

Probably they were dating. But Ji Hyo said she doesn’t have any special guy in her life at this moment. Why would she lie to me? Maybe he was his uncle or something. It could be, right? Aisshh Kim Jong Kook, you’re not supposed to be thinking about Ji Hyo’s love life. She has the right to be with any man she likes. Jong Kook seemed like he’s having an argumentation with himself in his head. Well, you know she’s capable of stealing your heart.... WHAT?! Did I just say that?! Stop it, stupid Jong Kook! You're acting like you’re having a crush on her!

“Chang Joo-ssi, I didn’t know you were this close to manager unnie.” Jong Kook could hear what Ji Hyo just asked the man. It was really impolite of him to secretly hear their conversation, but he couldn’t help his curiosity. He continued to listen carefully although he missed almost all of their words. Worrying he might lose some actions; he walked closer to observe them. Close enough to see what they were doing, but far enough to know that they wouldn’t see him. Ji Hyo was looking for something in her bag and then took out a box of chocolate. Jong Kook’s eyes were widened. Who is that man? Why did Ji Hyo give him a box of chocolate? He can't be her uncle then. Damn it, I’m being jealous!

“Samchon! What are you doing, hiding behind the bushes like this?” Suddenly, Soya appeared behind him with excitement in her eyes.

“Ah, Soya, you’re scaring me!” Jong Kook turned his body.

“Are you spying those people over there??” She ignored what he just said.

“Yah Soya, you’re late!!” He changed the topic because he was too embarrassed to admit that Soya was right.

“Aigoo, you’re really spying them, aren’t you? Eh, isn't she Song Ji Hyo-ssi?”

“Aishhh, let’s just go.” Hewalked away and ignoerd her.

Too bad Jong Kook couldn’t finish his investigation. The case remained open because he still didn’t know who that guy was. He wasn’t like this usually. Seeing Ji Hyo with a guy was a common thing. But today, he felt something different. He felt like his heart was going to race three times faster when he saw her giving the chocolate to the guy.

“Samchon, what’s wrong? You look pale.” Soya’s question brought him back to the reality. He was driving, so he needed to concentrate on the road.

“I’m alright Soya. Just tell me about your problem with your boyfriend.” He sighed. Soya needed him right now, although she didn’t seem like she need him. She looked alright.

“Ex-boyfriend.” She corrected him. “Yesterday I went home late at night. It was because I was at the studio all day to record my new song. I thought he understood all the risks he had to take if he really wanted to be with me. But he kept on grumbling about every single thing I did. He said I didn’t have time for him and all.” Soya talked so fast that Jong Kook could hardly understand what she was talking about. She kept babbling all the way downtown.

Jong Kook brought Soya to Haha’s place and introduced her to all the running man casts. The boys had planned to spend the valentine’s day together since the previous months. It was a good thing that their plan actually worked. They ended up spending the rest of the day there drinking soju and eating snacks. Well actually, Jong Kook didn’t drink soju or eat snacks. He really cared for his health so he just watched them joking around with each other.

Although he didn’t drink soju at all, Jong Kook felt sick. He didn’t know what was wrong with his body. The thing earlier about Ji Hyo made him suffered. He didn’t know why, he didn’t know how, but he thought about her all the time. Soya, who wasn’t too drunk to not notice the change in Jong Kook’s expression, started to question him again.

“Samchon, let’s just go home. You look even paler.”  Soya gave him a confused look.

“I’ll be alright. You’re the one whom I should be worried about. You’re still sad about your ex?” He felt sicker.

“No, I’m fine. Let’s just go somewhere else, samchon. You need some fresh air.”

They said good bye to the drunken running man casts and went outside. Soya drove the car this time. It was already 6 p.m. and they got nowhere to go so she stopped at a local café downtown. She bought him a cup of coffee and asked him to sit down on the chair.

“Yah Soya, I really am alright.” Jong Kook grumbled. He didn’t want to be treated like a sick old man.

“I’ve told you so many times before, you look pale. Just drink the coffee and tell me your problem.” She could be harsh to him but nice at the same time. She really loved her uncle. She looked up at him. He was the one who inspired her to be a singer.

Although Jong Kook was a little bit embarrassed, he finally told her about the Ji Hyo thing. He even told her about yesterday’s incident. Soya smiled and blushed during the whole story. Samchon is a really shy man. He doesn’t want to admit that he has a special feeling for Song Ji Hyo-ssi. It’s the 7th time he said “it’s too fast”. Well, he is right, it is too fast. But seeing Jong Kook samchon in love like this is so entertaining. He helped me a lot, so maybe it’s time for me to help him.

“Samchon, it’s already 7 p.m. I’ll go home by myself. I can take the bus.” She stood up from her chair.

“I can take you home, Soya.”

“No. You have to go to Song Ji Hyo-ssi’s house now.” She said, forcing him to visit Ji Hyo.

Jong Kook finally agreed after being forced and blackmailed. Hee walked out the café with Soya following him behind. She suddenly grabbed his arms, telling him to smile and be brave.

“You don’t need to tell her you love her now, but at least you have to try to get near her, samchon.”

“Okay-okay miss matchmaker….  Aah, the bus just left!”  He said, pointing to the bus station across the street.

“That’s fine, I’ll take the next bus. Good luck samchon! Fighting!” She waved at him and ran across the street.

Ahh she’s a nice girl but can be annoying sometimes, hahaha…. She kept encouraging me to get closer to Ji Hyo-ah. She even threatened me by telling that she’ll call me first time in the morning to make sure that I had came to Ji Hyo’s house…. And she’s not joking. Aish that girl. He shook his head and walked to his cars.

He drove all the way to Ji Hyo’s house. Somehow he felt better just by knowing that he would see her face again today. When he arrived at her house, he could see Ji Hyo’s car was parked there, but her house was dark so he assumed that she had not come back home yet.

A few minutes later, he saw Ji Hyo walking down the street towards her house. It seemed that she didn’t notice Jong Kook’s car so she went pass it. At that moment, Jong Kook suddenly felt sick again. He could see a picture of Ji Hyo and the unknown man in his mind again. It was a burden to him. He stayed in the car, watching Ji Hyo went straight into her house. He didn’t have the courage to say hi to her so he texted her.

Happy Valentine’s Day Ji Hyo-ah! You should date someone on this special day J. I’ll be waiting for you chocolate yah miss mong Ji!! –Jong Kook Oppa—

He acted like he didn’t see Ji Hyo with the man today. It was a trap for Ji Hyo. Jong Kook asked himself, Will she tell me that she was going out with a man today?  Will she lie to me? Aishh, I act like an overprotective father to her! After waiting for a few moments, Jong Kook grumbled, Uurgh, she didn’t reply my message.  The desperate Jong Kook went out of his car and walked to the nearest market. He bought a bottle of soju for him to drink. It was taboo for him to drink soju but this time he didn’t care. He went into his car and drank all of the soju at once. His face immediately turned red and he felt dizzy. Yes, he was drunk.

 The text reply from Ji Hyo came at the wrong moment. Jong Kook was in the middle of trying to control himself when he saw it.

Happy Valentine’s Day too oppa. Looking forward to seeing you on the set on Monday! –Ji Hyo—

That’s it? She didn’t even mention about the man. Ji Hyo-ah why are you doing this to me! Don’t you know that I’m in pain right now?! The drunken Jong Kook suddenly turned so emotional without even any logical reason. Surely it was because of the soju. Without thinking any further, he went off the car and went straight to Ji Hyo’s door.

“Ji Hyo-ah! Open the door, it’s Jong Kook oppa!!” He didn’t realize that he was almost shouting at that time. He kept on knocking the door until he heard someone’s footsteps.

“Oppa?” Ji  Hyo opened the door and gave him a strange look.

Jong Kook was paralyzed, not knowing what to say or what to do. He regretted what he just did. 

 


A/N again: I hope it's not boring....