Chapter 16: Words and Languages

Worth A Try

Oh my, Song Ji Hyo what did you say???! Aiisshhh…. How could I ask him that sort of question! Ji Hyo slapped her own cheeks when she realized it was a stupid thing to ask. Even if she was his girlfriend, it was still an improper thing to ask.

Ji Hyo regretted what she just said. She heard no word came from Jong Kook’s mouth. No answer at all. He must be very shocked. I’m too straight forward.

“oppa, I’m just kidding. Don’t take it too seriously.” Ji Hyo tried to get her dignity back even though she had to lie. She really wanted to come with Jong Kook. She wanted to spend more time with him, trying to know him and his family better. But it was just not the right time.

Meanwhile, Jong Kook felt happy to hear Ji Hyo’s question. He was lonely and it would be awesome to have someone to accompany him during the long trip. He didn’t want the question to be just a joke; he wanted it to be real. He knew it would be ridiculous to let Ji Hyo came with him, but some parts of his brain and heart wanted her to come.

“Ji Hyo-ah, I don’t want to take it as a joke. Oppa would be delighted if you can come with me. I know I’m being irrational right now, but…. You know… It would be great to have someone to accompany me.” He said, hoping that she would say yes to the invitation.

Happiness filled Ji Hyo’s stomach with butterflies. She got up from her bed and jumped around the room, unable to control herself. He said yes!! He said yeees!!! He didn’t reject me! I’m not being rejected!! Okay, stop repeating the same statements all over again.

“Umm okay oppa, where are you now exactly? I’ll come there by taxi.” Ji Hyo tried to keep her voice calm so Jong Kook wouldn’t notice that she couldn’t control her breath.

 


 

It took an hour for Ji Hyo to arrive at the gas station, and that gave Jong Kook some time to rest. He slept in his car with the window opened a bit. When Ji Hyo found his car, he was still sleeping. At first she tried to wake him up, but seeing him sleeping made Ji Hyo hesitate. The man looked really tired but peaceful. She stood on the side of the door for a few minutes, staring at him in admiration. She didn’t make any sound but soon Jong Kook woke up from his sleep. The sensitive guy could feel that someone was there. He greeted Ji Hyo and unlocked the car doors.

“Ji Hyo-ah, come on in. I’m really sorry for bothering you in the middle of the night.” He looked at his watch and found out that it was already 1 in the morning.

“It’s okay oppa, thank you for letting me come with you. It’s such an honor.” Ji Hyo bowed before she went in to the car.  

“Yah, don’t be so formal, Ji Hyo-ah.” He smiled as Ji Hyo went in to his car.

They fasten their seatbelts and started the 5 hours trip. The first few minutes were awkward, but Jong Kook was glad. He didn’t feel lonely anymore. He didn’t regret his decision to let Ji Hyo came. The presence of her would keep him awake. Ji Hyo on the other hand, felt really sleepy. She trusted Jong Kook so much that she thought she would be safe with him. But she chose to stay awake. That was her aim anyway: to accompany Jong Kook, not to sleep in his car.

“Oppa, have you eaten?” She tried to start a conversation.

“I had dinner 4 hours ago. Are you hungry?”

“No, I’m just asking.”

Then there was a long silence between them until Ji Hyo remembered something.

“Ahh, I haven’t told my manager that I’m going with you!” She put out her cell phone from her jeans pocket and tried to look for Sun Mi’s number.

“Yah Mong Ji, it’s 1 in the morning, do you want to wake her up?” Jong Kook stole a glance at her, trying to tell her that it’s inappropriate to call someone at such a time.

“Ah, you’re right oppa. I forgot that it's 1 a.m.” She sighed and put her phone back in her pocket.

Ji Hyo stared at the older man. It was dark in the car but sometimes car lights flashed and she could see Jong Kook’s face.

“Why are you looking me like that??” Jong Kook realized that she had been staring at him.

“Nothing, I’m just admiring you… What’s wrong with that?” She pouted and turned her head back to face the road.

“You’re cute when you’re mad.” Jong Kook smiled without looking at her.

“Yah Kim Jong Kook!” She looked at Jong Kook with a made-up mad expression that made him burst in laughter.

They kept on talking until Ji Hyo did not feel sleepy at all. They talked about works, weather, family, songs, and films. Just laughing and talking about non sense things could make them happy. The conversation made them remembered about how it felt to be just friends, and they enjoyed it. Despite of their feelings they had for each others, they were grateful for being able to maintain their friendship instead of avoiding one another like they did earlier. Forgetting about their feelings for awhile made them felt more comfortable with each other.

“Ah oppa, where will I be staying there?” She really didn’t think about that thing earlier.

“You can stay in my family’s house.” He answered casually.

“No no oppa, it would be impolite for me to stay with your family. I’ll just stay in a motel, okay?”

“Well Ji Hyo-ah. Oppa is really worried about you staying on your own. Just don’t get lost.” He glimpsed at her.

“You’re talking like my appa, Jong Kook oppa.” She laughed.

They kept talking and laughing about random things that could kept them awake for 1 or 2 hours. However, as humans, they needed to sleep. It was 3 in the morning when Jong Kook stopped the car on the side of the road. They were at the countryside and cars rarely pass the road, so they thought it was the right place to stop and rest for a bit.

Ji Hyo couldn’t sleep comfortably but she managed to sleep for a few hours. In the end, she was the first one to wake up. The sky was still quite dark but she could see sunlight burst through the clouds. It’s almost sunrise. She rarely watch sunrise so it was a special moment for her. She didn’t want to wake Jong Kook up but she couldn’t help it.

“Oppa, wake up. It’s almost sunrise.” She said softly as she shook Jong Kook’s arm. The man moaned a bit but he managed to wake himself up. He didn’t say a thing to Ji Hyo until he was aware enough of his surroundings.

“We’re at a tea garden.” He said slowly with a husky voice.

They went out of the car and started to gaze at the source of the sun light. As the sun went higher, it created a very beautiful view on the sky. The clouds were really colorful and the view around them was magical. The golden light of the sun made the tea leaves looked even greener and more sparkling. The two persons were paralyzed by the beauty of the earth. Wind blew softly and the air was pretty cold, but they didn’t care.

 It felt like the whole universe wanted them to be together. It was like the gravity had forced them to be closer than ever. The sound of the birds, the swaying trees, the droplets of dew, and even the sound of silence felt like a grand orchestra in their heads. Jong Kook touched Ji Hyo’s hand, still not taking his eyes off the view. The touch made Ji Hyo blushed, but she made no respond. They were intertwining and there was nothing in the world that could set apart the two perfectly intertwined hands.

They stayed in silence like that for a few minutes until the colorful clouds lost their colors and the magical things lost their magic. But two things stayed the same: Jong Kook’s feeling for Ji Hyo and Ji Hyo’s feeling for Jong Kook. They stood there without moving until Ji Hyo asked him to get back to the car. She didn’t let go his hand, though.

“Oppa, let’s get back to the car. I’m freezing.” She turned her body and led Jong Kook back to the car. But Jong Kook was unwilling to move. He held back Ji Hyo instead.

“I had decided. I don’t like you anymore Ji Hyo-ah.” He said seriously.

“Huh?” Ji Hyo stopped her step and looked back at Jong Kook in confusion.

Aieru, Je t’aime, wo ai ni, aku cinta kamu. In every language.” Jong Kook stared at Ji Hyo’s beautiful face.

“Huh?” that blank expression emerged on Ji Hyo’s face again.

“Those words mean I love you. Saranghae Ji Hyo-ah. Oppa loves you.” He didn’t need any courage to say what he just said. It came out all of a sudden. The feeling was real. It was always there all this time. Jong Kook himself couldn't believe that he could say those kind of things that easily. But being with Ji Hyo made him felt like he could be his own self all the time.

“Oppa…..” Ji Hyo’s blank expression was still there, but something about her way of looking at him had changed. Those eyes were the most beautiful things Jong Kook had ever seen, and to be able to confess to Ji Hyo was the most wonderful thing he could ever imagine.

The romantic moment was something that Ji Hyo had hoped for since like forever. The feeling was indescribable, undeniable, and unpredictable. The butterflies in her stomach was replaced with rainbows and unicorns. She could feel her blood rushing through her vein to her head. She wasn't freezing anymore. In fact, she felt warm. Hearing Jong Kook's confession felt like hearing a love song. Her cheeks turned red and she tried to hide it, but it didn't work. There was no use of hiding her feelings anymore.

“Complete me Ji Hyo-ah. Be with me.” He said softly.

Jong Kook was waiting for her answer but Ji Hyo didn't say anything. At first, the man was confident that Ji Hyo would accept his confession right away, but watching her standing there without any reaction made his heart raced faster. He doubted his thought.

“Yah Kim Jong Kook, you ruined the confession!!” Ji Hyo suddenly walked to the cars with annoyed look in her face. The change of behavior made Jong Kook surprised. He didn’t think he did anything wrong. Did I say the words in the wrong tone or something?? Why does she walk away?! Jong Kook tried to catch up with her, but before he asked her anything, she turned her body to him and smile.

“You should’ve said ‘love me’ instead of ‘complete me’ Jong Kook oppa!” she laughed and ran to the car. But then she noticed Jong Kook was still standing far from the car, unmoving. He was looking at her with confusion in his eyes. The cheerful woman stopped before she went in to the car and yelled at him.

“Yes, I wanna be with you, oppa!!! Now move those legs and get into the car!!!”

Jong Kook smiled when he heard Ji Hyo’s answer. He rushed to the car and smiled at her.

“I never thought I would confess to you at a tea garden in 6 in the morning.” He said laughingly as he went into the car.

 


A/N: Did you guys smile when you read this chapter? Because I smiled a lot when I wrote it. I like the tea garden part. I was inspired by the beautiful tea gardens I have in my country. I also like the confession he did in many languages. Do you now what languages were those?

I'll be waiting for your comments ;)