Chapter 15: Under The Night Sky

Worth A Try

Jong Kook was packing his bag when his phone rang again. He grabbed it immediately, worried that it was his dad who was calling. Is mom okay? Why does appa call me again.... He picked the phone up without even looking at the caller ID.

"Yes appa, is there anything wrong?"

"Yah Jong Kook, this is Gap Jin." Jong Kook was kinda relieved to find out that it was his manager who was calling.

"Ah hyung, it's you.... Aigoo I almost forget to tell you! My mother is sick and I'm coming back home." Jong Kook continued to put some more clothes in his bag.

"What? When are you going?? What about running man?" The older man panicked because he had to rearrange Jong Kook's schedule.

"Tonight." He answered shortly as he headed to the bathroom and put some random stuff into another bag.

"Yah, how could you be so calm?? I'm panicking here!!"

"Just tell the PD that I can't come." He said casually.

"When will you come back anyway?" Gap Jin tried to calm himself and dug in for more information.

"I don't know. I'll be gone for 3 or 4 days."

"Aish... So now you're going there by what?"

"Car."

"You're driving yourself?? Jong Kook, it's 5 hours trip and it's almost midnight now. You need to sleep first." Gap Jin really cared about Jong Kook. He knew that the muscular man wouldn't be able to stay awake for that long. Moreover, he was just arrived from the show earlier so he must be tired.

Jong Kook sighed. He knew he was being irrational, but he needed to see his mother immediately to make sure that she was fine.

"I promise I'll be fine, hyung. I'll take a rest if I feel to sleepy to drive. I'll stop at a gas station." He tried to reassure his manager although he wasn't sure he would really do what he said.

"Just be safe." Gap Jin gave up. No one could forbid Jong Kook for doing something he want.

Jong Kook hung up the phone and at the same time he finished packing his things. He took a look at his own house for a few seconds, saying goodbye to the comfortable place and then went in to his car and started driving. It was a really long way to go. Things could go wrong if he got sleepy, and it could be very dangerous. During the drive, he listened to the radio, although he didn't really pay attention to it. The radio could at least break the silence that he hated most. Somehow he felt lonely and scared.

Accidentally he saw a billboard on the left side of the road. The picture in it caught his attention. It was a picture of Ji Hyo, and the billboard was actually a poster of her new movie. He missed her. He really missed her. He wished he could just call her. He needed to hear her voice. 

So for the first time after those few weeks of silence between them, he parked his car at a gas station and called her. It was midnight and he took the risk to make a phone call. Actually, he thought Ji Hyo was already in bed so she wouldn't pick up the phone. But that was the main point. He just wanted to try to call her, just trying. After a few beeping sound, he gave up, knowing that she wouldn't pick up. But right before he hung up, a voice came out.

"Oppa, are you trying to annoy me?! It's mid night for god's sake!" Ji Hyo yelled at her phone. Seconds ago she was still dreaming about unicorns and butterflies.

"Sorry Ji Hyo-ah." But when she heard Jong Kook's voice, she knew that she couldn't be mad at him. Those unicorns and butterflies were not there anymore. They were replaced by something which is far more beautiful. Kim Jong Kook.

"It's okay." She sighed.

Jong Kook didn't prepare anything to say to Ji Hyo. But somehow he knew what he needed to say when he heard Ji Hyo's voice.

"I am also sorry for the thing I said a few weeks ago. I have no right to say that. You're right. I'm afraid of losing myself. My last break up brought some really bad memories to me. I was down for months, and when I was starting to be okay again, she got married with another guy. I was the one who ruined my relationship with her, but she.... she...." Jong Kook didn't finished what he said.

Ji Hyo didn't feel sleepy anymore. From his trembling voice, she knew that he was hurt. She loved him so much that she felt hurt too when he was.

"Oppa, you have to be brave. I was scared to start a new relationship too. But being near you makes me forget about my fears. When I'm with you, I feel like... like... like a girl."

"And I feel like an oppa..." Jong Kook ran his hands through his hair. He felt really warm inside.

They both could feel the warm feeling inside their heart. They were miles apart but something brought them closer than ever. They stayed in silence for awhile, enjoying the feeling that they had shared. It was good. It was right. It was just perfect. Jong Kook and Ji Hyo never felt like that before. They never thought they would ever feel that way. For a moment, both of them gazed at the sky. They were under the same sky and that fact was enough for both of them to know that they were somehow together. But that great feeling soon turned into an awkward silence as they realized that nothing would change. They were still not together in a relationship. Those confessions were useless.

"Jong Kook oppa, where are you now?"

"I don't know where I am exactly. I'm at a gas station on my way to my hometown." Jong Kook suddenly was aware of his surrounding. He realized that he still had a long way to go.

"You're going back home?" Ji Hyo asked curiously.

"Yes, my mother is sick."

"Can I come with you?"