Chapter 19: The Old Man

Worth A Try

“Oppa, it’s raining outside.” Ji Hyo said excitedly as she gazed at the wet street through the window. The small town looked more beautiful in rain.

“Ah, yes….” Jong Kook turned his head to face the window too. The rain was quite heavy and the car was parked a few meters away from the restaurant’s entrance. He could walk to the car. He didn’t mind getting wet, but he didn’t want Ji Hyo to get wet too.

“You don’t like rain?” She asked when she caught Jong Kook’s thoughtful expression. Jong Kook glanced at her with a blank face, not knowing why she could make the assumption.

“You look uncomfortable, oppa.” Ji Hyo said again with a pitiful tone.

“Huh? Oppa is fine. I like rain. I’m just wondering how can we reach the car without getting wet. I don’t mind getting wet, but it’s you that I’m worried about.”

“Yah oppa, I don’t mind getting wet too. But anyway, I bring an umbrella.” She giggled and showed him a small umbrella that she brought in her handbag. Jong Kook let out a small laughter and continued eating.

It didn’t take long for them to finish the Italian food. They chatted for a little bit longer until the waiter came and cleared up the dishes. Jong Kook asked for the bill and paid it right away. By that time, the rain was even heavier than the last time they looked at the window.

“Ji Hyo-ah, oppa wants to go to the toilet first before we leave, do you mind?” He stood up from his seat and lower his head a little bit to match with Ji Hyo’s eyes.

“Sure. I’ll go and wait outside, okay?” The woman stood up too and grabbed her handbag while taking out her umbrella.

“Yah ert, do you think I want you to go inside?!” He backed off a little bit and gave her a playful look.

“Jong Kook oppa!!! I mean I’ll wait outside. Outside.” She repeated her words while pointing to the wet street.

“I know. I’m not that stupid.” He rolled his eyes casually and suddenly he was serious again. “It’s still raining. Just wait inside.”

“Look oppa, they got a small roof just in front of the door. I’ll wait down there.” She pointed to the spot she mentioned earlier.

“Yah, you’ll look like a waiter waiting for a customer.” He grumbled childishly, making Ji Hyo laughed. She waved her hands cheerfully and signaled him to go to the toilet. After making sure he had headed to the toilet, she went outside and smiled to the waiter who had been serving them throughout the dinner.

It was nice to feel the cold breeze smoothly wiping her face. Jong Kook’s hometown was really quiet, especially during the rain. I guess people here don’t really like rain. No one seems to be excited about it. She sighed as she observed the empty street. She shivered, unable to stand the cold air.

She was going to went back in when she suddenly saw an old man came out from a store across the road. He looked really tired. He stood under a small roof in front of the store. The old man looked around a few times and stared at his watch. He repeated the movements a few times. He looked like he really need to go elsewhere but he couldn’t because of the rain. Aiish, poor harabeoji. He doesn’t bring an umbrella. Ji Hyo assumed that herself. The old man kept looking at the raindrops and Ji Hyo couldn’t help it anymore. She opened her umbrella and crossed the street carefully.

“Excuse me harabuji, do you need an umbrella?” She asked politely to the old man.

“Ah, young lady. I’m fine.” He smiled sincerely and Ji Hyo replied the smile too. For a while, she thought he looked like her grandpa who died a few years ago. She really loved him, and that might be one of the reasons why she really cared about elders.

“When I came here it wasn’t raining yet so I thought I would be fine without an umbrella. My wife is probably waiting for me now.” He chuckled.

“Harabeoji you can use my umbrella. I don’t need it as much as you do.” The old man hesitated. He couldn’t believe someone was giving him an umbrella. It might be a simple thing for Ji Hyo, but it was a big help for the old man.

“Young lady, you’ll get wet.” He chuckled again, not wanting to take the umbrella from Ji Hyo’s hand. But the younger woman still insisted him to take the umbrella. She placed it on his wrinkled hand gently.

“get home safely, harabeoji!” She smiled as she walked back to the restaurant quickly. Ji Hyo didn’t want the old man to refuse the umbrella so she didn’t give him any chance to say no.

She could feel the cold wet rain on her hair and clothes. She wrapped her arms around her own body, trying to warm herself. When she reached the spot where she had been waiting for Jong Kook earlier, she turned her body to look at the old man across the street. He looked confused but then a big smile appeared on his face.

“Agassi, thank you very much!!!” He shouted from afar. Ji Hyo waved her hand and watched him walked away. She loved to see the tired old man’s face lightened. It brought her back to the time when her grandpa was still alive. Reminiscing those moments made Ji Hyo hardly remembered about her cold and wet body. She was drowned in her own thoughts until Jong Kook tapped her shoulder.

 


 

The old man walked happily. His steps felt lighter than usual. It was raining but he didn’t feel cold at all. It was like his heart was warmed again by the kindness of the young lady who gave him an umbrella. It was just an ordinary umbrella, but it needed a good heart to give it to a stranger, especially during a heavy rain. He smiled widely and thought about his own daughter. He hoped she was as kind as the nice young woman he just met.

Then he sighed and grumbled. The image of her son suddenly appeared in his mind.  Jong Kook-ah. Why can’t you find a woman like her?

He walked faster. Couldn’t wait to tell his wife about the kind-hearted lady.

 


 

“Ji Hyo-ah, you’re wet and cold.” The man was concerned about her. He tried to wipe the cool water on Ji Hyo’s face. Jong Kook tried his best to remain calm and casual. However, Ji Hyo was not calm at all, seeing Jong Kook’s concerned face made her heart skipped a bit. She tried to look another way, avoiding any eye contact.

“Aigoo Ji Hyo-ah, what did you do? Why don’t you use your umbrella?” He asked curiously while he was still wiping her face gently with his warm fingers.

Jong Kook had hugged her before. They had held hands. They were dating. What was so wrong about him touching her face? Ji Hyo! Why are you being ridiculous?! He’s your boyfriend. Of course there’s nothing wrong about him touching your face. Just get those butterflies out of your stomach! She didn’t know why, but every move that Jong Kook made was making her loved him even more. She swallowed hard and tried to breathe properly.

“Yah Song Ji Hyo, why don’t you answer my question!?” Jong Kook lost his patience. The loud voice made Ji Hyo woke up from her daydream.

 “Ah oppa, sorry, I didn’t pay attention. I gave my umbrella to an old man across the street. He looked really tired and he couldn’t get back home because he didn’t bring an umbrella.” She looked up at him, making her even more enchanted by him. He suddenly let go of Ji Hyo’s face and turned his body around. He rubbed his own head, trying to find something to say. Then he suddenly turned his body again to face her.

“Now I’m the one who feel like a bad guy, Ji Hyo-ah.” He stopped for a smile. “I want to keep you for my own self.” He blushed and stayed still on his position.

“Come on, let’s go to the car. I’ll cover you up.” He said shyly and wrapped his warm arm around Ji Hyo’s body. Ji Hyo could only smile and blushed. They ran to the cars together in the rain. But just a few meters before they reached it, Ji Hyo sopped. The rain, the moments, the warm feeling, and the guy made her paralyzed. It was like something that she wanted to remember for hundred years.

Jong Kook stopped too when he realized that Ji Hyo was a step away behind him. He turned to look at her. Under the heavy rain, all he could see was her beautiful face. It was like the most beautiful thing he had ever seen. He wanted to ask her why did she stop, but no word escape his mouth. He walked closer to her. So close until their lips met.

None of them thought that their first kiss was going to be so cliché. But it really didn’t matter. It was unplanned and nobody knew how that really happened. The cold wind blew and the feeling suddenly grew. Ji Hyo felt Jong Kook’s warm lips touched hers. It was nothing like she had ever imagined. It was far more beautiful.

Nobody saw them kissing in the rain. Or maybe they both assumed that nobody saw them. The whole world belonged to just the two of them. They continued kissing for a few seconds until Jong Kook recognized that Ji Hyo was shivering. The woman herself didn’t even feel it.

“Ji Hyo-ah, let’s get in.” He pulled himself gently and looked deeply into her eyes. He couldn’t hide his blushing face and his wide smile. He could only show it to her shyly. Ji Hyo was no different. She didn’t say anything to answer his question.

They walked side by side to the car. They had the right to remain silent because their lips had spoken lots of words.

They drove back to the motel still in silence. The radio was on, but no one was actually listening to it. It wasn’t awkward at all, though. They were just trying to read each others’ mind. It’s funny that the two variety show stars were acting shy like that. It proved that they were still humans. Well, humans can love, right?

 


A/N: I don't know wether this chapter is too short or not, you decide ;) Hahhaha, I like this very much and apparently Jong Kook's appa rarely watched running man!

Please let me know and correct me if agassi and harabeoji are not the right words to use :)