Chapter 20: The Battle

Worth A Try

The rain was still falling to the ground.  It made the street looked sparkly and shiny. Ji Hyo liked that kind of view. She thought it was really beautiful. But somehow it didn’t matter anymore. The rain was nothing compared to Jong Kook. She liked him better. Jong Kook oppa…. Gosh, I’m thinking like a fan girl. She smiled shyly, trying to hide her thoughts. I wish this would never end. I wish we won’t reach the motel soon. I want to stay with him like this. Jong Kook oppa, do you hear me? She asked silently, hoping he could read her mind.

Actually none of them wanted the drive to end. Jong Kook, although he couldn’t read Ji Hyo’s mind, thought about the same thing. He had been driving around the same street for twice, passing the same turn that would take them to the motel. It’s now the third time we passed the turn and she still doesn’t realize it. This blank Ji Hyo is really unaware of her surroundings. What is she thinking exactly? He kept his eyes on the road.

“Oh moributho balkuthkaji da sarangsurowo….” Suddenly the loud sound of Jong Kook’s song filled the air with his delicate voice. Jong Kook tried to find the source of the voice since he wasn’t the one singing. The song turned out to be Ji Hyo’s ringtone. She immediately grasped her phone. The look that she received from Jong Kook made her felt embarrassed. I shouldn’t have made this song as my ringtone. Now he thinks I’m a creepy girlfriend.

Jong Kook was startled when he heard the song, but Ji Hyo was even more startled when she read the caller ID. I am so going to be killed by unnie!!

“Yah Song Ji Hyo!!!!” The really loud shrill voice that came from the phone scared Jong Kook a bit. He knew it was woman who was talking, and from the way she spoke, he supposed the woman was very upset.

“Yes unnie, I’m really really reaaaally sorry!!!” Ji Hyo’s apology was really sincere. She even bowed a bit when she apologized, although she knew the woman who was on the line couldn’t see it. Jong Kook shook his head in disbelief as soon as he figured out what was actually happening. Yah this Mong Ji…. She forgets to tell her manager that she’s away.

“Yah stop apologizing, I’m not going to forgive you anyway. Just tell me, WHERE-ARE-YOU???” Sun Mi’s tone went higher again, making Ji Hyo’s ears hurt. Jong Kook wanted to giggle, but he held it instead and grinned.

“Unnie, mind your attitude, I’m with Jong Kook oppa, he can hear you.” She said in a small voice that sounded almost like a whisper.

“Eh? You’re with him??!” There was a dramatic change of Sun Mi’s tone of voice when she heard the name. A part of her felt ashamed of her own behavior.

Jong Kook smiled mockingly as Ji Hyo explained everything to her manager. The woman caught his expression and hit his arms silently, not wanting to burst into any small kind of laughter when he pouted in pain.

“So Sun Mi unnie, can you cancel my appointments? Pleeeaaseeee…. Just for this once!” Ji Hyo unconsciously grinned when she begged her manager to rearrange her schedule. She knew it needed a lot of works to change the whole plan but she really wanted to be with Jong Kook. It was her first relationship after a few years, so it was obviously special for her. Luckily, her manager knew her like she knew her own sister. She hesitantly said yes and sighed. For this one particular occasion, Sun Mi didn’t mind losing the battle.

“You take care Ji Hyo-ah. Don’t get into troubles.” She gave her final advice and said goodbye to her for the last time.

By that moment, Jong Kook had just driven the car passed the same street for the 4th time. He was glad that Ji Hyo didn’t notice that because she was busy talking to Sun Mi. But unreasonably she burst into laughter as soon as she hung up the phone.

“Jong Kook oppa, you can’t fool me around like this forever!! Next time don’t miss the turn, okay?” Jong Kook eyes widened. He couldn’t help the warm feeling on his cheeks.

“Yah oppa, you’re cute when your face turns red like that!” She continued giggling until her own tummy hurt. Seeing Jong Kook’s sweet side made her feel special. She didn’t know the muscular commander could be so gentle and all romantic to a lady.

“Stop it. Oppa will drop you off here if you don’t stop that annoying giggling sound.” Jong Kook pointed to a random area on the side of the street. He wanted to argue more but it seemed that they already reached the motel. His attempt to get his dignity back was successfully failed. Ji Hyo laughed even louder when she saw the building.

“Sure, you can drop me off here, oppa! Hahahah!!”

The rain was still falling and it looked like it wouldn’t stop raining for quite some time. They were already wet so they chose to go through the rain. The water was cold on their skin, but there was nothing else they could do. Ji Hyo forcefully unlocked the door when she reached the room. She opened it and stepped into the room followed by Jong Kook. She rushed to the bathroom sloppily, making the floor wet and quickly grabbed a towel and tossed it to Jong Kook.

“Dry yourself up, oppa!” She closed the bathroom door and cleaned herself up.

Meanwhile, Jong Kook scrubbed his skin gently with the towel she gave him. He looked out the window and stared at the rain. Appa, I don’t want to be a bad son. I just want to live my life like the way you live yours. You love eomma. You get to choose your own future wife, so why can’t I get to choose my own wife too? Appa, I hope you like Ji Hyo-ah. She has a really good heart, she’s different. He sighed and continued wiping the water off his hair.

“Oppa, do you want to spend the night here or not?” Ji Hyo came out of the bathroom wearing a big-sized t-shirt and short pants.

“I’m not ready to face my parents, so I’ll try to get another room here.” He said in a flat tone as he tried to find clothes to wear. He grabbed some random stuff and continued, “Can I use your bathroom?”

“You don’t have to be so formal, Jong Kook-ssi.” She laughed half-heartedly and waited for him to laugh with her too, but he didn’t.

This man is really moody. Usually he’s not like that at the filming set. She tilted her head curiously. Maybe the thing with his appa is really serious. What can I do for you, oppa? She looked out the window and saw the same thing that Jong Kook saw earlier. The rain. Hey rain, can you bring this message to Jong Kook’s appa? Tell him that I really love Kim Jong Kook, and I’ll try my best not to hurt him. She shook her head and smiled, thinking that she was being weird and getting crazy because of the man she loved.

That night, Jong Kook slept in a room next to Ji Hyo’s. He planned to go to his parents’ house on the next day. There was something between him and his father that he needed to clear up. If it was necessary, he would bring Ji Hyo with him. Maybe if his appa saw her, he would change his mind. But it was only an “if”, no one knew what would happen. All that he could do now was just wishing for his luck to come.

In her own room, Ji Hyo thought about the same problem. But different solution.

 


 

The next morning, he knocked on Ji Hyo’s door, hoping she was already awake. He knew she really loved to sleep, but there was a possibility that she might woke up earlier. After knocking her door several times, Ji Hyo came out. Jong Kook was expecting to find the blank Ji Hyo, but a different Ji Hyo appeared. It seemed like she had already took a shower and was going to go somewhere.

“Morning, oppa!” She greeted cheerfully.

“Where are you going?” It took a long time for Jong Kook to accept the fact that Ji Hyo had already waken up. He looked at her from head to toe, not believing what he saw.

“I’m going to the minimarket. What’s wrong with that?” She pouted when she saw Jong Kook’s doubtful face.

“Okay I don’t really understand what’s in your head, but nevermind. I’m taking you to my parent’s house.” He grabbed her hands and walked quickly to the car.

“Wait wait wait. I’m not going with you.” Ji Hyo stopped walking, causing Jong Kook to stop too.

“Oppa, it’s a father-and-son’s problem. I have nothing to do with it.” The way Ji Hyo said it made her look like a wise person. For the first time Jong Kook could see Ji Hyo’s mature side. But instead of being happy, he grumbled. Yes of course it’s my problem, but you’re my girlfriend, you need to come with me.

“It’s not that I want you to face this alone, but I have no connection with your appa. I’ll make it even worse. Go there by yourself, Jong Kook-ah. You’re a grown up man, you can do it.” She gently put her arms around his neck and pressed her lips against his cheek. Jong Kook couldn’t help but grinned when he felt her warm kiss.

She’s actually right. No matter how nice she is, appa won’t see it. His grinned suddenly turned into a painful smile. He realized that he needed to choose between his relationship with his father or his love with Ji Hyo. He braced himself for a battle that he wouldn’t win. He would fight, he would bleed, he would survive, but there was no guarantee he could win his appa’s heart. Slowly he kissed Ji Hyo's forehead and let go of her arms. It was hard for him to go to the house alone, but there was nothing else he could do.

He walked away silently to the car, trying not to show her his pain. His appa was a stubborn man and he knew it was going to be a tough battle. But no matter how tough Jong Kook was, he knew his appa was tougher.

Without looking back, the man walked faster to the car. He didn’t want Ji Hyo to know what was going on in his head. The choice that he was going to choose would hurt both of them.

“Oppa! Please fight for me!!!” She yelled cheerfully, trying to encourage him.

Jong Kook smiled at her from afar. Ji Hyo-ah, if I really have to choose…. I’ll choose him instead of you. He surrendered. I’m sorry, but you don’t understand anything. You’re happy for now, but you don’t really know what’s in front of you. You don’t know that I have to choose. You don’t know that I have to lose.

He went into his car and drove away, leaving Ji Hyo behind.

Oppa, I’m sorry. I do this not because I know nothing. I do this because I don’t want to ruin your relationship with your appa. She smiled painfully, trying to forget everything that happened for the past few days. It feels like a very beautiful dream. Once I open my eyes, it’s all over.

 


A/N: I guess the last part is going too fast.... but nevermind, I'm too tired to write more. Oh and please don't kill me first, I still have to write the next chapter :)