Elevator

You're Still The One

Shaina: I know I’d find you here. Are you okay?

Kim: No, not really. I can’t face him Shaina, I can’t control my feelings anymore. They are getting stronger each day.

Shaina: There’s nothing wrong with that naman diba? He loves you and you love him so end your misery you two and just kiss and make-up na!

Kim: I hurt him. Nasaktan din nya ako. How do you pick up the pieces? Do I just forget all about the heartbreak that I went through?

Shaina: I’m no expert when it comes to love. My love life is pretty much a mess at the moment. Actually I don’t even think it exists anymore. Siguro the best person to talk to about this is Gerald. You know friend, he really loves you and he wants you back so bad. Kawawa nga yun. He actually prepared a romantic dinner surprise by the beach for you tonight. Ang ganda nga ng set-up eh, we all helped and he even managed to borrow a small tv para sa slide show ng mga memorable pictures nyo together. He even had a long, heartwarming speech all prepared. Sayang nga lang that we couldn’t find you and when we did, you were already on a dinner date. You should have seen him, he was devastated.

Kim: I feel so bad now. Ang sweet pa rin nya ano? Tapos ang mean ko pa naman sa kanya tonight. Kaya pala may flowers and candles sa room namin. I thought pa naman may plans sya with some other chick.

**************************************************************

When Kim stepped into the elevator to get back to her hotel room, she was surprised to see Gerald inside.

Gerald: Hey.

Kim: Hi. I thought you were already asleep. Shaina said you left the club right after I did.

Gerald: I couldn’t sleep so I thought I’d go for a walk. (He pressed the number corresponding to their level.)

Kim: So, why didn’t you get off the elevator?

Gerald: Eh, you’re here na.

A sudden jolt caused Kim to scream then the elevator suddenly stopped.

Kim: What’s going on?

Gerald pressed the “Open” button but nothing happened. “It won’t open.”

Kim started freaking out and pushed all the buttons on the elevator but still nothing happened. “Is it broken? We’re stuck, aren’t we?”

Gerald saw her worried face and immediately wrapped his arms around her to try and comfort her. “Don’t worry baby. I’m here.”

Kim froze when she felt Gerald’s hug. (“Ang bilis naman ng smooth moves ng kurimaw na to! Hayyy, how can I fall out of love when he’s so handsome, caring, loving and super bango pa! Nawala na tuloy ang takot ko. Wait, what if this elevator is broken and suddenly crashes into the ground floor within a matter of seconds? Oh crap! We could die in here!!”) She quickly pushed Gerald off and checked out the elevator ceiling.

Gerald: Kimmy, what is it?

Kimmy: I wonder if we can climb up there? I was just thinking, what if this lift will suddenly come crashing down like they show on movies? We will surely be in pieces!

Gerald: Baby, we will be okay. A lot of people have been trapped in the elevator pero they end up getting out safe and sound. It might just take a while that’s all. I’m here naman eh, I’ll look after you okay? Oh ayan lang pala ang emergency phone eh. We will be out in no time.

After several attempts of calling, Kim started to get nervous again. “What kind of service do they have in this hotel? It’s supposed to be one of the best tapos there’s no one to contact when we get stuck in the lift? Unbelievable!

Gerald: Calm down babe. It’s 2 am, siguro tulog lang yung dapat naka-bantay sa phone. We’ll try again in a few minutes. Sooner or later some staff will realize that this elevator is not working so we’ll be out in no time.

Kim crossed her arms and slumped down in the corner, feeling annoyed and unsure of what to do being stuck there with the one person she really wanted to resist. Visions of an elevator falling fast into the ground occupied her head and she wanted to get out of there as soon as she could.

Gerald sat right next to Kim. He had a big smile on his face as he wrapped his arms around her. “Don’t you think this is romantic baby? We’re alone here in this tiny room, we only have each other to cling on to? I’m loving this moment! I have missed holding you like this. I have missed being this close to you baby, you have no idea!”

Kim couldn’t think of a good response to his gentle, loving words. She couldn’t lie to herself. She was enjoying being so close to him too. She dreaded being stuck in an elevator not knowing the right way out. But being stuck there with Gerald made it a memorable experience. She felt his lips on her cheeks, making her blush. “Kita mo ngang I’m in a panic mode being trapped here pero ikaw, romantic moment pa rin ang nasa utak mo?” She crossed her arms and faced the other way, pretending not to enjoy his attention.

Gerald wanted so much to hold her, to make her fears disappear and show her how much he loves her. She didn’t look like she was in the mood for kiligan. Her mind was too focused on her anxiety of being trapped in a lift. He thought of a fool proof way of getting her close.

Gerald: Babe, do you remember that time when we watched “The Eye”? Remember the ghost in the elevator? That guy who was always standing in the corner of the elevator and starts floating towards the chick?

Before he could even finish his scare tactics, Kim had already jumped straight into his lap, holding on to him. As soon as that movie scene registered into her head her instincts immediately kicked in. She jumped into Gerald’s protective arms so fast as if she possessed the power of extreme speed.

Kim: Gerald!! (She gave him her best piercing stare and slapped his arm.) Ang sama mo talaga!!! Why would you say something like that? May plano ka talagang patayin ako one way or another no? I hate you!!!

Gerald simply smiled and enveloped her in his protective arms. “Baby, I’m here to protect you. Nothing and no one can harm you because ‘ll always be right here holding you, caring for you and loving you.” He kissed her hair and hugged her tighter.

Kim loved the feeling of comfort and safety being in his arms. He could make her fears go away with just his presence. (“This is bad. It’s only been a few days since we got here, surrender na ako agad? I don’t want anyone thinking that I’m still so into him, na talagang hinahabol ko sya. I shouldn’t make it easy for him so that he won’t just drop me that easily like he did before. Kimmy, kaya wan ng powers mo. Control your longings, girl. Remember those sad, miserable nights you had to endure after he dumped you!”) She wanted to get off his lap, not to stay close to him, but the image of that man in the elevatory came back to mind. She needed her back to be leaning on Gerald to relieve her of her fear even just a little. She turned her head behind her and gave him another sharp look. She could tell through his happy grin that he was enjoying her vulnerability.

He flashed his cutest smile and sighed. “I love you baby.”

(“Nagpapacute na naman to. How can I control my feelings when he’s like this? I think it’s his smile. It gets me everytime!”)

Kim: Why did you have to scare me for? We’re trapped in here, you know there’s nowhere to run! You are so inconsiderate of other people’s feelings! I hate you!

Gerald: You mean, you hate that you love me? (wink)

Kim just looked away and tried to ignore what he just implied.

Gerald: Baby, you know why I love scaring you?

Kim: So you can torture me and toy with my emotions!

Gearld: Babe, you know that’s not true. I love it when you get a little spooked out because I get to do this. (He squeezed her tighter in his arms.) You have no idea how much I have wanted to hold you in my arms again. (He kissed her hair, took a deep breath and let out a heavy sigh.) I’ve missed this. I’ve missed us baby.

Kim felt so elated with his sweet words and loving hugs that she almost forgot to control herself. “Naku palusot ka na naman! You didn’t have to scare me half to death! That was low Gerald.”

Gerald: Sorry na babe. You kept trying to stay away from me, it’s killing me. I though it was a good opportunity to get you closer. I’ve been missing you so bad, I don’t know what else I can do to get your forgiveness. Mahal na mahal kita Kim. I’m dying every moment that I don’t get to be with you. Everytime you push me away, the reality of my biggest mistake hits me.

She stayed quiet for a while and just let herself immersed in Gerald’s embrace. She closed her eyes and just listened to the speeding beats of their hearts. She was losing this battle, big time.

Kim: Gerald…(there were a million things on her mind but couldn’t find a good word to start.) Uhm…I… Damn it! I don’t know what I want anymore! I’ve hurt you and you pushed me away. Hindi ako ang nang-iwan Gerald. I tried to fix things pero ikaw mismo, you pushed me away. Pinahiya mo ako sa buong school. Nagmukha akong cheap pero tiniis ko yon dahil I wanted things to work between us. Tapos ngayon… now that I have accepted the fact that I have to get you out of my life, you want to be with me again?

Gerald: Babe, let’s start again. I need you. I’m a hopeless case without you. I’m really sorry for pushing you away. I let my emotions get the better of me. I thought some time away from you will help me but it only made everything worse. I am miserable without you Kimmy. I have regretted that decision each miserable day that I can’t hold you close. No matter how much pain I have to endure, you’re still the one. The only one that my heart longs for. You’re still the one that can make everything alright again. Please babe, I’m begging you. If you’re not in my lap right now, I would be down on my knees, begging you to take me back.

Kim: Gerald, ewan ko lang kung magpapadala pa ako sa mga corny lines mo that you obviously plagiarized from lame love songs and romantic movies.

Gerald: Baby, I swear, all those corny lines came straight from the heart. I really mean it babe. I love you so much and I want to make things right again. My whole life is a mess right now. Heck you’ve even got me listening to all those sappy love songs! I haven’t listened to a single upbeat or song that we used to love. You got me listening to Bread and Barry Manilow songs! Ganun ako kalala! I didn’t even know they existed until I just found myself one day singing along to my entire ‘break-up songs’ playlist, knowing all the lyrics with matching tears in my eyes! I can assure you it wasn’t a pretty sight. See what you have done to me?

She knew he was looking for her symphathy but she couldn’t help but giggle. She just couldn’t picture Gerald listening to those songs. “At ako pa ngayon ang sinisi mo sa pagiging corny mo! I didn’t resort to sad love songs. I ended up listening to this particular song that goes like, I hope you die, I hope you get hit by a truck, I hope your face gets covered with pimples and rot….”

Gerald: Baby that’s brutal. (He let out a little giggle and then his face turned serious again.) Babe I’m really, truly sorry.

Kim didn’t feel too comfortable with Gerald’s sentimental confessions. “Gerald, let’s stop dwelling on the past. Mabuti pa, let’s try the emergency phone again.”

Kim started getting restless when no one picked up. She was confused and scared at the same time. She had mixed emotions about Gerald and at the same time, scared that their whole situation on the elevator is still unknown. She wrapped her arms around Gerald’s waist who was holding her and rubbing her back.

Gerald: Shh… Baby… It will be alright, I promise. (He kissed her forehead then her cheeks before wiping her tears with his fingers.) Stop crying baby. I’m right here, okay.

Kim: I’m scared babe. What if the cable breaks and these are our last moments on earth?

Gerald: Shh… That’s not going to happen, okay? Look at me. (He lifted her chin and held her cheeks.) Baby, I love you. I love you so much and I would not let anything bad happen to you. You believe me, right? Do you trust me?

Kim just stared at him. Her eyes were fixated on his, she couldn’t look away nor open . Her fears were slowly fading away, gradually replaced by her feelings of love for Gerald. She kept her eyes locked with his as he slowly lowered his head, opting for her lips. His kisses were soft and gentle. He took his time savouring the sweet taste of her lips that he had so badly missed. His heart swelled with delight when he didn’t sense any hesitation from her and instead, she showed him how much she was enjoying the sensation. They both giggled as they gave each other quick pecks on the lips. Gerald ran his fingers on her lips. “God, how I have missed these sweet lips.” He gazed at her and smiled. “I love you Kim. I have missed you so much baby, you have no idea.” She just smiled, still not quite sure what to respond. Normally she has a choice of walking away to avoid having to confront their situation. However, this time, there was no way out. She was trapped literally…in his arms and in that tiny, secluded room.

Gerald wasn’t quite sure how to decipher that MonaLisa smile of hers. He sat down on the carpet and pulled her down with him, settling her on his lap. “Baby you are still so into me. Patay na patay ka pa rin sa akin, ano? You can’t take your eyes off me.” (Wiggled his eyebrows.)

Kim immediately got out of his arms. “Mr. Anderson, kahit kailan, and kapal mo talaga! The reason why I don’t want to look anywhere else is because for some strange reason, it’s less traumatic for me to see your face than that of a ghost. I’m staying close to you for the same reason, ghost pa rin. Since you’re behind me, they can get you first and I still have time to run!

Gerald: Hehe…Uhm, baby, in case you haven’t noticed, we are trapped. There isn’t much space to run around inside this elevator. Kunwari pa ang baby ko. Sure, blame the ghost. Your kisses don’t lie babe. You miss me, you want to be with me and most importantly, kinikilig ka because you are so in love with me. (Tickled her on the sides.)

Kim: Wow, hindi ka naman masyadong assuming no! As for the kiss, I just thought it was a good way to kill time while we’re stuck here. Also so I could keep my mind off your lame ghost stories.

Gerald: Huh? Ganun? That’s all it was to you? I offered all my love, my heart, my soul with that kiss hoping you would take me back tapos that was all it was for you? A way to kill boredom? For the whole minute of that kiss, I felt loved and adored. Then a few minutes later my world comes crashing back down!

Kim immediately felt bad after seeing Gerald looking so glum and disappointed. He looked like he was about to give up. Kim wanted to console him, to reassure him that he really is still loved before he completely gives up. (“Darn! Hindi ko talaga matiis tong kurimaw na to!”) She sat back on his lap, wrapped her arms around his neck and without a word, she consumed his lips. Her kisses were full of passion and longing. The way she explored his lips and tongue drove Gerald to the edge. She pressed her body tighter against his as she abandoned his lips and whispered in his ear, “What did you think I was offering with that kiss?”

Gerald was having the biggest celebration deep inside, he could actually hear fireworks. His heart was jumping up and down and he was grinning from ear to ear. “Whatever it is you’re offering babe, I’ll take it. I’m completely blown away! A kiss as electrifying as that can only mean that you are offering your heart back. But in case I didn’t get it right, we should have a second round. Para sure na ako sa guess ko.” He tilted his head and closed his eyes as he pressed his lips softly and ever so slowly against hers. He then confronted her lips with equal passion and intensity as her kisses. When he finally had the willpower to pull away, he whispered, “I love you.”

He wasn’t the only one with a never-ending smile on his face. She was just as ecstatic as he was. She placed her arms around his waist and leaned on his chest while still on his lap. She felt so content. He kissed her hair and held her tight. They stayed that way for a while until they fell asleep.