On The Line

You're Still The One

Kim just finished sending a text message to her university friend Anne, asking about one of the concepts for their biochemistry homework. Her phone rang the minute she placed it on her desk. Thinking it was Anne, she immediately picked up the phone.

Kim: You got back to me quick.

Silence.

Kim: Hello?

It took Gerald a few more seconds before he found the courage to speak.

Gerald: Kimmy?

Kim froze on her spot. Although he sounded like he had a bad cold, she recognized that voice! Her heart skipped a beat with the way he said her name. She could not believe she was actually talking to Gerald! She had to contain herself from her excitement otherwise he might notice how thrilled she was.

Gerald: Kim, please don’t hang up.

Kim: I won’t. How are you Gerald? Matt said you’re not feeling well?

Gerald: I’m okay. I’m feeling much better now that you’re finally talking to me.

Kim was lost for words. She had no idea how to respond to what he just said.

Gerald: Kimmy? You still there?

Kim: Uhm…you sound like you have a bad cold. Are you okay? Baka naman kailangan mo mag-rest.

Gerald: Okay lang talaga. Ikaw? Kumusta ka na dyan? Inaalagaan mo ba sarili mo?

Kim: Ge, are you mad at me?

Gerald: Kimmy, of course not! Why would I be mad at you? Is that the reason why you haven’t talked to me for a while?

Kim: No. Ang hirap lang kasi ng situation natin eh. I thought I was ready for this but it’s different pala pag nangyari na talaga. I kept telling myself not to get upset kung ano man ang makakarating na news sa akin about how you live your life pero hindi ko talaga nakayang i-control sarili ko eh. Pasensya na ha.

Gerald: Kim, I’m so sorry kung nasaktan ka sa mga naririnig mo. Until now, I have really stayed true to my promise. You are the only girl in my life Kim. That’s the God’s honest truth despite all those things that you have heard about me.

Kim: Do you still mean everything you said on your e-mail?

Gerald: Kim, I mean every word. I miss you more and more each day. I love you so much, I’m going crazy here thinking about you.

Kim: Uhm, na-miss ko rin kayong lahat. I know super delayed na pero thank you pala sa Christmas gift ha. Sorry I didn’t get you one.

Gerald: Okay lang yun. Kim, is there something you want to say? (“I don’t believe you called just to thank me for the Christmas present.”)

Kim: Ah yes, I called earlier because I wanted to greet you an advanced Happy Birthday for next week. I’ll be busy kasi kaya baka makaligtaan ko.

Gerald: (“Stupid ka talaga Gerald. Nag-expect ka pa na may I love you along with that birthday greeting?!”) Thanks. Hearing your voice is the best birthday present for me since there’s no chance na makasama kita sa birthday ko.

Kim: Okay, I should probably let you go, you sound like you really need to rest.

Gerald: Kim? Have you found someone to replace me in your heart?

Kim was surprised by how straightforward that question was. (“No baby, kung alam mo lang, I can never replace you!”)

Kim: Ang corny naman ng tanong mo! Siguro that’s the effect of the medication you’re taking right now.

Gerald: That’s why you called, isn’t it? You want my blessing?

Kim: Ano ka ba Ge! Bakit sayo ako maghahanap ng blessing, priest ka ba? Wala no!

Gerald: You mean, ako pa rin ang nasa puso mo? You still love me?

Even through the phone, she could not lie to him. She didn’t want to admit it and thought about the question a minute too long.

Gerald: Kimmy? Bakit hindi ka makasagot? Do you still love me?

Kim: Ano naman if I do? Hindi na naman tayo, so it doesn’t make a difference.

Gerald: It means a whole world of difference! It means that I have a reason to wake up in the morning and face a new day. Baby I love you and based on your response, you feel the same way too. Baby please come back…come home to me! I am missing you like crazy babe.

Kim: Naku napakanta ka pa talaga huh kahit may sore throat!

Gerald: You said last year na hindi mo ma-bitawan ang course mo because you’ve paid for the semester na. What about now? Mel said tapos na ang sem and even your summer course. Pwede ka na lumipat dito for the next semester diba? Di ba you haven’t paid the fees for this semester?

Kim: Ang dami mo yatang alam sa schedule ko ah. Nakakatakot ka naman! (“Although deep inside baby, super kinikilig ako that you’ve been asking about me!”)

Gerald: Syempre I needed to know if you’re okay. Halos hindi nga ako makatulog dito sa kaka-isip sayo eh! You wouldn’t answer my calls and my messages tapos you changed your number pa! You have no idea how hard it has been for me baby.

Kim: Ge, sorry talaga ha. Ikaw kasi, why did you have to make those silly promises? Nag-hope tuloy ako.

Gerald: I stayed true to those promises baby, I swear. Para sa akin, tayo pa rin. My feelings for you never changed. My heart races kahit pictures mo lang ang nakikita ko.

Kim: Talaga lang ha? How do I know that you didn’t enjoy dating those other girls?

Gerald: Dahil wala akong na-date na other girls!

Kim: Well then how do you know na hindi ka mag-eenjoy if you haven’t tried it yet?

Gerald: Because baby, you’re the only one I want to date. Babe, you are God’s gift to me. You’re the answer to my prayers at sobra sobra pa. Why would I go on looking for another when I already have exactly what I wanted and even with added bonus? Di ba dapat we should learn to be content otherwise baka mawala pa lahat sayo? Ikaw lang talaga ang hinahanap ng puso ko. I feel so thrilled just thinking about your beautiful face. Kahit sino pang supermodel ang magpropose sa akin, only you can fill my heart with overwhelming joy.

Kim: Do you know how gay you sound right now?

Gerald: Kinikilig ka naman!

Kim could not control her giggles.

Gerald: Umuwi ka na kasi. I know how much you’ve missed my kisses babe. I bet you can’t stop thinking about me and how good I can make you feel!

Kim: Ang kapal mo! Bakit naman sa lahat ng ma-miss ko sa Philippines, yan pa.

Although it was not a video conference call, Gerald could still tell that she was blushing right that instant.

Gerald: Do you constantly think about those two wonderful weeks we spent there at your place? Our memories in that bed that you’re sitting on? In your couch? In that rug by the fireplace? I bet you keep replaying those moments in your head!

Kim: Gerald! Anong klasing medicine ba ang pinapainom ni Matt sayo?

Gerald: See what you’ve done to me?

Kim: Hehe! At ako pa talaga ang sinisi mo sa mga kababalaghang laman ng utak mo! And another thing, kanina ka pa babe and babe dyan ha, wala na tayo no!

Gerald: Akala mo lang yan baby. Syempre tayo pa rin!

Kim: Oh is that so? Since when?

Gerald: Since forever!

Kim: I think you need to get some more rest Ge, your fever is making you delirious.

Gerald: You should really come home soon babe. Kawawa naman ako, so sick! I need my baby to look after me!

Kim: Oh you poor thing! Buti na lang may baby Matt and baby Joaqui ka dyan taking good care of you! Sige, I have to go na, it’s late here and I still have two chapters of topics to read. Magdinner ka muna before you take your medicine ha. Tsaka have plenty of rest and water too. Sabihin mo kay Matt to make you that lemon and honey drink.

Gerald: It feels so good hearing your caring words babe. I love how much you care about me! Ngayon pa lang, I feel better already. I really wish you were here. I would love to talk to you all night babe but I don’t want to keep you up either. I know how much workload is involved with your course.

Kim: Of course I care about you Ge, alam mo naman yun. Ok then, goodnight Ge.

Gerald: Thanks babe. I’ll call you tomorrow ha. Take good care of yourself din. Tsaka umuwi ka na. Nagkakasakit na ang boyfriend mo kaka-miss sa’yo!

Kim: Ikaw talaga! Goodnight na!

Gerald: Goodnight babe, thanks for the call. You just made my day. I love you so much baby!

Kim: Thanks din for calling back. Ok, bye.

Gerald: Oh no, you can’t hang up yet.

Kim: Why not?

Gerald: Kasi I said ‘I love you’.

Kim: I heard you.

Gerald: So, ano na? Hindi ka pa nakapag ‘I love you too’.

Kim: Kailangan ba talaga yun?

Gerald: It’s absolutely necessary!

Kim: I love you too friend.

Gerald: Ang labo naman nyan. You love me as a friend or you’re in love with your best friend?

Kim giggled as she started singing, hoping he will get her hint.
“I’m lucky I’m in love with my bestfriend
Lucky to have been where I have been
Lucky to be coming home again…”

She quickly hanged up the phone before she started screaming like crazy with overwhelming giddiness. “Ohmygod! Ohmygod! Ohmygod!!! Wwwaaaaaaahhhhh!!!”