Chapter 31

You're Still The One

 

After breakfast, they decided to join the rest of the class playing tug of war. The whole class made the most of their last day by playing fun games at the beach and enjoying the facilities available. Gerald and Kim were inseparable as usual enjoying the water rides and games with their friends. Heather noticed the sweet couple and approached them as they were getting off the banana boat.

Heather: Hi Kim. Hello again baby boy! You remember Tito Boy, right?

Gerald: Of course, our beloved photographer. Hello po Tito. Great to see you again.

Boy: You don’t know how glad I am to see you. You’re more gorgeous than ever! We really need you right now iho. One of our main models didn’t show up, he’s got chicken pox daw. You’re perfect for the job. All you need to do for this one is pose and smile lang naman.

Gerald: Uhm sorry tito but I don’t think I should be doing this.

Kim: Are you for real Gerald? May sakit ka ba? How can you say no to something this awesome? I wouldn’t even think twice if I were you.

Boy: Oo nga iho. Besides you’ll be paid a generous amount for an hour’s work.

Gerald: Kim babe? Should I?

Kim: Duh! Someone’s offering you thousands just to smile and pose for an hour? Heck yeah!

Gerald was taken to the change room to get prepared for the photoshoot. He looked hot showing off a few killer smiles to the camera. Most people from his class watched and cheered. Kim was proud that she had a hottie for a boyfriend. However her smiles were short-lived. Gerald was paired up with Heather and it seemed to Kim that she was getting way too close to him. The looks she was giving him were way too flirty and her gaze didn’t stop when the camera was no longer at work. (“Does she really need to cling on to him for every shot? Hindi naman ganun ka-intimate ang other pairs of models ah. Besides this is not for a magazine! For goodness sake, they’re trying to sell clothes here, not themselves!”) She could no longer bear watching him with another chick holding on to him as if he was some sort of captive for her to feast on. She was about to walk away when Vanessa gladly informed her of some juicy details.

Vanessa: Kim I thought you were just kidding earlier when you said na okay lang sayo kahit sino gusto makasama ni Gerald. You were true to your words pala.

Kim: Huh? Are you talking about him doing a few shots with a pretty model?

Vanessa: I’m referring more to the fact that ok lang sayo na niyayakap yakap si Gerald sa ex-girlfriend nya.

Kim: What the?!!

Vanessa: I don’t think many people in our class know pero Heather and Gerald were an item. Sorry, I didn’t realize na hindi mo pala alam. I hope you’re not upset.

Kim: Me? Of course not! It’s up to him who he wants to be with. Bahala sya sa buhay nya. Excuse muna Ness ha, I gotta get to the bathroom.

Kim wasn’t quite sure how she should feel about the whole thing. She was so happy the whole morning. Now her emotional status had just gone through a complete 360º turn around. She wanted to scream. She wanted to lose control and rip someone’s head off. (“I could really use some strong alcoholic shot right about now. Hayop na Gerald na yan. Is there any girl he hasn’t been with? Freakin man-! Arghhh!!! Anong klaseng babae din naman yung Heather na yun. Para syang leech kung makadikit, walang hiya! Asan na nga ba yung bar? Oh dang! Underage pala ako I wouldn’t be able to get alcohol in this resort. I guess I’ll just get myself some extra strong coffee.”)

Kim was indulging on a strong hot coffee, imagining evil schemes on her head when she was interrupted. “Pardon me but I wouldn’t be able to forgive myself if I let a beautiful girl like you spend her time in a café all alone. That would be like betrayal to my entire species. You look sad sweetie, maybe I’m the guy that can put a smile on your face?” She looked up. (“Oh puhleeeze not another one! I’m so over these good-looking cocky guys who think they can undress every girl with just a smile.”)

Kim: I’m alright. Just enjoying some quiet time.

Nick: I’m Nick by the way.

Kim: Kim. Nice to meet you, I’ll be getting back to my coffee now.

Nick: Do you mind if I join you?

Kim: Actually yes, I do mind. I don’t mean to be rude but I would rather want to enjoy some alone time right now.

Nick: There are only two reasons why a chick would want to sit in a café all by herself. To pick up or guy problems. A hottie like you would have guys all over you all the time, you sure don’t need to pick up. I’d say guy problems for you, am I right?

Kim: I’d rather not talk about it. I would really appreciate it if you could just please let me be.

Nick: There’s one easy solution to that problem hun. Ditch the dirtbag. You can do so much better, you can do me!

Kim: Uhm tempting but no thanks.

Nick: Looks to me like you could use some strong booze. I keep a stash in my hotel room and I’m extending my invitation to one lucky lady! (smiled and winked)

Kim: (“Gosh doesn’t this guy know when to quit? Don’t you test my patience mister, I’m in the mood of beating up some random stranger just for the sake of it!”) My gosh! What part of ‘leave me alone’ do you not understand? Should I say it in French so we’re speaking the same language here? Piss off!

Matteo: Kimmy are you alright?

Kim could not thank Matteo enough for appearing on time. She quickly gave him a hug and whispered, “Your timing is impeccable! You have no idea how glad I am to see you!” She let go of her hug, still smiling.

Kim: Honey! What took you so long?

Nick: Sorry man, I was just keeping your girl here company. She seemed a little lonely all by herself.

Matteo: It’s all good man. Now you can stay away from my girl cause I want her all to myself. We have some private business to attend to, if you get my drift!

As Nick was walking away, Kim gave Matteo another hug. “I love you Mattie! You’re the best, I’m so grateful to have you! If you hadn’t shown up, God knows what stupid, regretful thing I could have done to that guy!” Matteo froze. Hearing her say those words sent his memory back to the time when those words from her meant the world to him. ‘I love you”. She had uttered those words to him once. Even though this time, she was saying it in a completely different context, hearing those words from her still got him paralysed. Ecstatic beyond belief.

Kim: Matteo? Hello, earth to Matt! Hoy, here’s your coffee oh!

Matteo: Huh? Oh right…my coffee. Who was that guy?

Kim: Nick daw. Some Nick. Some weirdo who just approached me and decided to bug me and ruin my peace.

Matteo: Ikaw kasi, you shouldn’t wander off by yourself. You’re bound to get guys throwing themselves at you, sa ganda mong yan. If you ever feel like you want to be alone, just ask me to come along. I’ll be super quiet, you won’t even notice that I’m around and at the same time, no one will bother you kasi may bodyguard ka.

Kim: Thanks Mattie, I’ll keep that in mind for next time. Good thing you came along because I was this close to getting into my psycho gear. By the way, what are you doing here? Were’nt you watching the photoshoot?

Matteo: It’s finished. Kanina ka pa nga hinahanap ni loverboy mo eh. Grabe yang honey mo Kim, it’s like you’re his oxygen supply. Out of sight ka lang ng ilang minutes parang mawalan na sya ng hininga. What are you doing here by yourself anyway?

Kim: I just got a little tired and decided to get some coffee.

Matteo: You don’t have to pretend with me Kimmy. I know so well kung paano ka magselos. Obvious naman kung maka-cling yang Heather kay Gerald, parang mauubosan na sya ng lalaki sa mundo and he’s the last guy on earth.

Kim: I love him Matt pero magka-heart attack ako so early in life when every second girl I meet has “been there”, “done him”. He never even mentioned that she’s his ex.

Matteo: I thought si Anika lang ang naging girlfriend nya dito sa Philippines. I’ve never heard anything about Heather. Baka naging ka-date lang. As far as I know wala naman yang sineryoso before eh.

Kim: Whatever she was, he still should have told me or at least stayed away from her. Gerald has enough brain cells to notice that she wants him bad. Instead pumayag pa talaga syang makipag-picture at makipaglandian sa bruhang yan!

Matteo: Diba ayaw naman nya talagang sumali? You made him join remember? If it’s any consolation, he asked Heather to keep her hands off him during the photoshoot. He even said that only his girlfriend can hold him. Napahiya nga si Heather kasi the photographer added his two cents to it by reminding her that they were aiming for a wholesome teenage look not desperate and dumped look.

Kim couldn’t help but laugh. “Talaga? Wish I was there to see the look on her face. Hey Matt?”

Matteo: Hmm?

Kim: I want to go someplace secluded, somewhere where they can’t easily find us. You offered to keep me company. Is that offer still available?

Matteo: Yeah, yeah. I’ll come with you, as if I have a choice. You’ll keep bugging me till I say yes anyway so in the interest of saving time and energy I’m saying yes.

They walked to the far end of the beach. Kim sat down, crossed her legs and cupped a handful of sand. “I’m not mad at Gerald. I can see that he has changed his ways or at least he is trying. I’m mad at his past, his old ways. I know most of us will go through a phase where you want to hook up with as many as you can. Some even say that you haven’t really lived at all if you haven’t tried anything and everything at least once. He’s a fun loving person. Am I so selfish to try and stop him from staying true to his fun personality? It’s hard to explain pero nasasaktan ako even just seeing him talk to a chick that he once dated. I get all these images in my head of how they kissed, how intimate they were once upon a time. Tapos yun na, I feel like I don’t ever want anything to do with him. At the same time, I can’t stay mad at him. I think I need to get myself to the nearest psych ward, naloloka na ako sa inyo! Men! You guys are nothing but trouble. No wonder all of women’s problems start with men. Mental, Menstruation, Menopause.

Matteo just stayed quiet, listening to her every word, allowing her to let all her frustrations out. He would occasionally laugh at some of her comments. She was doing a whole Seinfield comedy routine about men, love and relationships without even realizing it.

Kim: Naku it’s getting late in the afternoon na pala. We’re heading home tomorrow so we better enjoy the resort a bit more. Sorry Matteo ha, I kept you here when you should be making the most of our last moments in this place. I owe you one, promise I’ll make it up to you.

Matteo: Kimmy, I swear it’s fine. It’s much more fun listening to how your mind works. You’ve kept me entertained the whole time so don’t feel guilty.

Kim: I want to get back to the giant slides. Let’s get to the cottage and change para swimming na naman tayo ulit.

Matteo: Sounds great to me.

When Gerald saw Kim approaching the cottage, he immediately ran up to her and hugged her tight. “Babe, where have you been? We were so worried!” He wondered why she didn’t hug back. “Grabe ka naman, it’s our last day. I wanted to enjoy the resort a bit more rather than just watching you getting photographed.” He grabbed her hand as she was about to open her door. “Gerald, I’m just getting changed. I need to put on my swimmers so I can get back on the pool.” He let go and watched her disappear. Gerald wondered whether he was just being paranoid or if something really was wrong. He sat outside Kim’s room, waiting for her to come out. Then he remembered about the fashion show that was about to start in half an hour. He was so pre-occupied with looking for Kim that he forgot to mention it to her. He knocked on her door.

Gerald: Babe, can I come in? I have something to tell you.

Mel: Gerald bukas yan, come in.

Gerald entered and saw Kim sitting on the bed, talking to Joyce and Mel.

Gerald: Babe sorry I forgot to mention that there’s a fashion show in half an hour and I’ll be in it. I have accepted the cheque and said yes to tito Boy so it’s a little embarrassing if I back down. Pero if you don’t want me to do it, I’ll cancel.

Kim: Gerald, did someone knocked your head? What on earth made you think that I wouldn’t want you to do it? Besides, you don’t need permission from me. I don’t own you. You have your own mind and you’re old enough to make decisions for yourself. Whatever your plans are, it doesn’t concern me ok?

Gerald knew what this conversation sounds like. He wrapped his arms around her waist and held her tight. “Babe I’m sorry for doing that photoshoot. I know galit ka, I can tell. I’m sure it’s because of Heather. Sinabihan ko naman sya eh na not to touch me. Sorry na babe please. I won’t do the show anymore.”

Kim: Sira ka talaga. I’m not mad ok? Masyado ka namang paranoid dyan, ang drama mo! I’ll be mad if you don’t participate on that fashion show. Nakakahiya kaya tapos baka akalain nila ako nagpigil sayo. Parang ang y naman ng dating ko nyan.

Gerald: I’ll only believe that we’re ok if you come to the show.

Kim: Yun lang pala eh, of course I’ll watch.

As they were walking towards the venue of the show, Gerald noticed that Kim was unsually quiet. “Babe? Did I do something wrong? We’re ok right?”

Kim: Yeah, it’s all good.

Gerald: Para kasing medyo distant ka. Are you sick?

Kim: I’m ok. Siguro just a little tired lang we’ve done a lot of exercise the last couple of days.

Mel: A whole lot of exercise for sure! Wala pang 7am nung iniwan namin kayo in bed this morning and you didn’t emerge from the room until around 10am. Mahaba-habang ‘exercise’ talaga yun!

Kim: Wa’g ka namang ganyan Mel, goodness knows what kind of issue will come out of this if someone heard you. You know very well that I won’t do anything that stupid with Gerald, ayokong mahawa sa mga ually transmitted diseases nya no!

Mel: Sorry Kimmy, I was just kidding. I didn’t think you would take it the wrong way.

Gerald: Now I know that we really are not ok. Para naman akong gigolo sa mga comments mo! I'm 100% clean, you can check my medical records if you need proof.

Kim: Geez chill guys. Nagbibiro lang. Anong mga problema ninyo? Masyado kayong madrama! Or maybe paranoid ka lang Gerald, iba talaga ang nagagawa ng guilt no?

He didn’t like the sound of that. He knew they had to spend sometime in that hammock again. Gerald squeezed her hand tigher. “I love you babe”.

Kim: Sos drama queen talaga.