Chapter 23

You're Still The One

Kim was deep in her slumber when she was rudely awakened by an upbeat song that sounded so much like her ringtone. Keeping her eyes shut, she d for her phone at her bedside table. (“Sino kaya tong hayop na to?”)

Kim: Yes? (Showing irritation in her voice)

Gerald: Hi Kim. Oh sorry, did I wake you up?

Kim: Oh, hi Ge. Good morning.

Gerald: (Whispered as if trying not to wake her up) Go back to sleep gorgeous. I’ll just talk to you later.

Kim: It’s ok, I’m awake now anyway. What time is it?

Gerald: Just after 1pm.

Kim: Really? No way! I can’t believe it’s that late. Did you get home alright last night?

Gerald: Yeah. You mean this morning? I haven’t had much sleep actually, I couldn’t stop thinking about you…about us. Pero ok lang kahit puyat, I’m so ecstatic naman, I can’t even stop myself from smiling.

Kim: Oh poor baby! You must be so tired.

Gerald: See, I told you I could only get a good sleep if I was cuddling with you. Hindi ka kasi pumayag eh.

Kim: Sira! Why don’t you go to bed now and get some sleep?

Gerald: Only if you come over and hug me to sleep.

Kim: Gerald behave huh! Hehe.. Besides I have to go meet up with Mel and Shaina to finish up our story for the play na gagawin ng drama class natin next month.

Gerald: Can I come? I really want to see you.

Kim: The group is meeting at the Ivy Club tonight, you can see me then.

Gerald: I don’t want to wait that long if I can see you now. Please Kimmy. Pretty please with sugar and honey and ice cream on top!

Kim: Well, I guess dahil you sound so cute when you’re begging.... Uhmmm, wait...What flavour ice cream?

Gerald: Cookies and cream?

Kim: Sige na nga.

*********************************************************

Mel and Shaina were astonished to see Kim walk in with Gerald.

Shaina: Kaya pala midday na hindi pa nagising, may pinagpuyatan pala.

Kim: Hi guys, sorry I’m late ha. You know naman it’s Saturday, time for sleeping in! (She let out a nervous laugh as she was trying to figure out a way to explain Gerald’s presence at her bestfriend’s house). Uhm, is it okay if Gerald joins us? He has a few ideas to contribute for our play. Diba Ge?

Mel: Uh-huh. Somebody got busy last night!

Gerald: Hi girls, hope okay lang sa inyo if I join in. I brought food!

Mel: Okay, I’m sold. Kanina pa ako gutom eh, noodles lang pinakain ni Shaina sa akin.

Shaina: Arte mo naman kasi. I told you we can get take away ayaw mo. Anyway, of course you’re more than welcome Gerald.

As they were working on their story, Mel and Shaina couldn’t help but notice how sweet Gerald and Kim were to each other. Aside from their usual ‘kilitian sessions’, Gerald kept whispering sweet little nothings to Kim who would always respond with sweet smiles and cute laughs. Gerald’s eyes started getting heavy as the girls were busy concentrating on the final draft of their story. He struggled to keep them open but he was fading by the minute. He eventually settled his head on Kim’s lap which caught her by surprise. She was about to push him away but stopped when she noticed that his eyes were close and he was no longer responding.

Kim: Ge? Are you ok?

Shaina: Aw, how cute. He’s asleep. At ang hot legs mo pa talaga ang ginawang pillow ha. Parang super familiar na kayo sa isa't isa?

Mel: Ay nakatulog? This is not a good sign. Ganyan ba ka boring ang play natin?

Kim: No, hindi kasi yan natulog kagabi eh.

Shaina: And you are aware of that because??

Kim: Oh I so know what you guys are thinking. Sorry to disappoint but there is only a PG rated response to those dirty enquiring minds of yours.

Mel: Exactly what is going on? Did someone knock you on the head with a frying pan that caused amnesia? Just a reminder, this is the same Gerald that kissed another bimbo in front of you. Boy oh boy! Have you got some explaining to do!

Kim: Man! By the tone of your voice mukhang mahaba-haba pang explaination ang kailangan. Let’s finish up our work muna since we’re almost there then I promise to tell you guys everything.

Only an hour had passed but Gerald felt like he’s had a great whole night sleep knowing that Kim was right next to him. He loved the feel of her hands caressing his forehead. He felt so safe and comfortable lying on her lap while she was running her fingers through his hair while chatting with her friends. He was wide awake but noticing that he suddenly became the subject of the girls’ conversation, he decided to pretend to be asleep.

Shaina: Kim, ang swerte mo. Ang gwapo ni Gerald and romantic pa. I can’t believe he did all that last night. Look how cute he looks habang natutulog. Paano mo nakayang hindi ma-inlove sa kanya?

Kim: Ang cute nga nya matulog no, parang baby. Nakaka-in love talaga! I mean, uhm… hindi talaga pwede na katabi ko sya habang natutulog sya. Baka ma-inlove pa ako while I watch him looking so gorgeous while sleeping.

“Nice save Kim, hehe, muntik ka nang mabuko”, Gerald thought while listening in.

Shaina: Baby mo na papa mo rin!

Mel: Hoy, ano ba kayo. Am I the only one in the right mind here? Ganon lang ba talaga kadali mo syang napatawad? I know you. You’re the most stubborn person I know. You’ve always stood by your words.

Kim: I guess ganyan talaga when you love someone. Maybe it’s true what they say that when you’re in love, you forget your principles, you swallow your pride, you end up doing the things you never thought you would ever do. I wanted to stay mad at him but when he was right there staring in front of me, he turned out to be my weakness. Hindi ko talaga kinaya!

Kim stopped talking when she noticed the shocked expression on their faces. Before she could even realize what she had just admitted to her bestfriends, Gerald suddenly sat up, eyes wide with surprise and joy.

Gerald: You do love me! I knew it! Kimmy, you don’t know how happy you’ve made me that you’ve finally admitted your feelings for me! (hugged her tight) I love you so much baby.

Kim: (“Oh shoot! This is it. There’s no turning back now. Nabuking na talaga ako. I could really use some invisibility power just about now. Or I wish this couch would just swallow me whole!”) I thought you were asleep! You were eavesdropping the whole time?!

Gerald: I just woke up. Just in time to hear you say that you are in love with me. (Gerald was face to face with Kim now and had his arms wrapped around her neck.)

Kim: (quickly got up) I think I was talking about love in general, hindi naman ako nag-mention ng name mo.

Shaina: Nuh-uh friend. Nothing you can say can get you out of this. We heard you loud and clear. Mahal mo si Gerald.

Mel: Shaina let’s leave these two lovebirds alone. I think they need to have a talk.

Kim wished that she could disappear right that instant to hide her blushing face.

Kim: Ok, fine. I admit ok? Happy now?

Gerald: Admit what?

Kim: Alam mo na naman diba?

Gerald: Kimmy, I would really love you to look at me straight and say it again. Please?

Kim: Ayoko nga. I’ve been embarrassed enough already.

Gerald: (looking sad) So, ikinahihiya mo ako?

Kim placed her arms around Gerald’s neck, touched his cheeks then lifted up his chin so she can look him in the eyes. “Mr. Gerald Randolf Anderson, I love you. I don’t know how effective ang gayumang napa-inom mo sa akin but I have fallen so deeply in love with you. I tried to hide it, tried to deny it pero since nabuking na ako, here I am giving up my heart to you. I was going to wait until the right moment comes, I wanted everything to be perfect complete with candles and romantic music but since this is the most romantic it can get, I guess we just have to settle for this. Sorry ha I know I’m completely stuffing this up right now and I’m blabbing like an idiot. My heart is just beating so fast I feel like I’m going crazy.”

Gerald: Kimmy, I’m already so deeply and madly in love with you, I didn’t think it was possible that you can make me fall even more. But…you just did! Baby, no romantic setting can make this moment more perfect. Hearing you say those words makes this the happiest moment of my life. The perfect moment.

He pulled her close, wrapped her tightly in his arms and slowly moved his lips to give her a loving, passionate kiss. Kim melted in his arms. She loved his tender soft kisses and felt his passion while he kissed her more intensely. Gerald couldn’t get enough of her soft lips. He felt as if he was going to explode when her kisses started getting fierce. He had known about her feelings for him for a while but he was never sure just how much she really loves him…until now. Until he felt it in her kiss. (“This is the girl for me. The only girl I’ll dedicate my whole life to.”)

Kim: (Hugged him tight and whispered softly) I love you Ge.

Gerald: I love you Kim. Thanks for making me so happy babe. So, this means that you are my girlfriend na right? I really want to make our relationship official so I hope this is what it means to you.

Kim: Uhm…If girlfriend mo na ako, does that give you the right to kiss and hug me whenever you get a chance?

Gerald: If it’s up to me, a big fat YES pero of course with your consent pa rin.

Kim: Ay, para namang hindi ako masyadong desirable in your eyes. Hindi ka pa rin mag take-advantage kahit girlfriend mo na ako. Wa’g na lang.

Gerald: Kimmy naman! Syempre, you’re very desirable! Way beyond desirable in my eyes. Enticing, alluring, so seductive. Pero of course I would never want to force you to do something you don’t want to do. (held her hands and kneeled down in front of her) Please Kim, will you be my girlfriend?

Kim: Ge, I was just messing with you. Do you think I would confess that I’m in love with you and kiss you na ganun katindi if I never had any intentions to be your girlfriend? Tumayo ka nga dyan baka akalain nina Mel na nag-propose ka sa akin. Of course, I’d love to be your girlfriend Mr. Anderson.

Gerald: Wooohooo!! (Hugged her then picked her up and turned around). Thank you baby! Nothing else can make me happier than to be your boyfriend, Mrs. Anderson!

Kim: I agreed to be your girlfriend, not wife no! Wa’g kang mag-ilusyon!

Gerald pulled her closer and planted another sweet passionate kiss on her lips.

Mel: Grabe ang mga kissing scenes nyo ha! When we checked up on you earlier you we were kissing. I can’t believe an hour after hindi pa rin natapos ang kissing session nyo! Paano nyo nagawa yan without running out of oxygen?

Shaina: Oo nga. Me, 30 seconds kiss lang, nauubusan na ako ng hangin.

Kim: (still locked in Gerald’s embrace and smiling, not letting go of his gaze) Hindi naman, we were talking the whole time. Ngayon nga lang kami nag-kiss ulit.

Mel: Yeah sure, ‘talking’. Is that what they call it nowadays?

Gerald: Ito kasing girlfriend ko eh, she can’t resist my kissable lips. Wala akong magawa eh, I have to fulfil my boyfriend duties.

Kim: Kapal mo talaga! Sige from now on, no more kisses for you, mister!

Gerald: Babe, wa’g ka naman magsalita ng ganyan oh. I was just messing around, sorry. I can’t make it through the day without your lips hon.

Kim crossed her arms, a wicked grin on her face as she started walking away. She quickened her pace as Gerald ran after her, pouting his lips, begging for more kisses. They both couldn’t stop laughing as Gerald got a hold of her and she had no chance of escaping. She tried to fight back by tickling him but eventually gave up and gave him a quick smack on the lips.

Mel: Well, we know what present to get these two for their birthdays.

Shaina: Yeah, a room!

Mel: I was actually thinking, a BED! I have a feeling these two are going to be needing one pretty soon. Hehehe..

Gerald: I like the sound of that!

Kim: Asa ka pa!