Chapter 21

You're Still The One

The Christmas holidays went by fast and before they knew it, they were back in school.

Shaina: So, I heard from Mel that you had fun in Sydney. A little too much fun! Details please.

Kim: Well, I saw Jake again. Nothing much to tell really, just a quick Christmas fling. (gave a mischievous smile)

Mel: Oi, hindi pwede i-secret mo ha. Sama mo. You’re the only one who got lucky sa atin dito pinagdadamot mo pa ang grasya.

Kim: Well all I can say is, shorty got lucky! He he he… Basta you know what I mean.

Mel: Ilang beses? How was it?

Kim: Once lang no before I left. Ano ka ba? I don’t think you really want me to go into details.

Shaina: No thanks a little too much information.


Mel: Wow, don’t look now but ang gwapo ni Gerald. He looks fresh as in naligo na talaga. He looks happy not like before na parang lifeless.

Kim: E di good for him.

Shaina: Maybe he’s moved on na. Maybe he’s finally accepted na it’s over na between you two.

Kim: Ang bilis naman yata. (“I hope Shaina’s wrong. I don’t want him to move on.”)

Mel: Wahhh! He’s heading this way.

Kim: Really? No way! How’s my hair, do I look ok?

Shaina: Pretty as usual. Bakit ka excited, I thought you don’t want him?

Gerald: Hi girls! How was your holidays?

Shaina: Hi Gerald!

Gerald stood behind Kim, held her shoulders and whispered to her ear, “Na-miss mo ako no?”

Kim froze as she felt Gerald’s hands on her skin. Familiar feelings suddenly came back to her. She missed his beautiful scent. (“Ano na naman kayang kalokohan to?”)

Kim: In your dreams! Sa dinami dami nating classmates na matitino, ikaw pa ang ma-miss ko. Hindi no! Besides two weeks is not long enough time to miss anybody.

Gerald: No need to deny it. Obvious naman na you’ve missed me as much as I missed you. Wa’g ka nang mahiya.

Kim: Kapal mo talaga. (realized that he is still holding her shoulders). Ew, bitawan mo nga ako. I don’t want to get your germs!

Gerald: Gusto mo naman. Or baka disappointed ka that I didn’t hug you. (wrapped his arms tightly around her waist).

Kim: Ew, ew, ew!! Gerald let me go or I’ll beat you up, I swear.

Gerald: (Let go and pinched her cheeks) Ang cute mo talaga when you think you’re so tough. Nakaka in-love lalo! (walked back to his chair).

Kim: What the?! I’m so confused! What on earth happened sa hayop na yan? Why is he so happy at bakit sya nang-aasar?

Mel: Naku bes, baka natuluyan at naging mental case na.

Shaina: Sira! Hindi naman sya mukhang baliw ah. Normal naman nakikipag-usap sa iba o.

Mel: Think about it, you don’t just snap out of depression and heartbreak in two weeks. May mental disorder talaga yan. Yung parang may split personality. Normal one minute, insane the next.

Shaina: In-love ang tawag nun hindi insanity. Ganun lang naman sya with Kim eh not with anyone else.

Mel: Eh kasi nga she triggered it, she’s the reason na nasiraan ng isip si Gerald kaya na-turn on ang insanity genes nya around her.

Kim: Nalilito ako lalo sa inyo. Baka ako pa tuloy mauna ma-admit sa mental institution eh. Let’s stop this na nga class is about to start.

***********************************************************

Gerald: Kim wait! Here you dropped your notebook.

Kim: Thanks. (turned to Mel) Ang weird talaga ng taong yan lately.

Mel: I know, the whole week kayong nag-aasaran at nagkukulitan. Kahit hate natin sya bes I must admit, super kilig ako sa asaran nyo.

Kim: You’re so nasty! Nanginginig na sa galit ang bestfriend mo tapos may pa-kilig kilig ka pang nalalaman dyan.

Mel: I’m sure I’m not the only one na kinilig no! You’re eyes don’t lie. Kahit kunwari ka na disgusted ka pag hinahawakan ni Gerald, you couldn’t hide your smiles. Ilang beses na kaya kitang nahuli.

Kim: Whatever! (Noticed something when she opened her notebook). Arghhh!!! GGEERRAALLDD! You are sooo dead!

Gerald: Yes sweetheart?

Kim: Sweetheart ka dyan! Why did you write all over my notebook? Sa cover pa talaga which I can’t just rip off!

Gerald: Sama mo, ako pa pinagbintangan mo. Ako na nga itong nice enough to return your notebook nung nahulog mo.

Kim: Don’t you dare act innocent hindi bagay sa aura mo. And I know this is your handwriting. You stole my notebook just so you can vandalize all over it!

Gerald: Wow, pati penmanship ko kabisado mo talaga. Obsession na yan.

Joaqui: Bakit ano bang nakasulat dyan?

Kim: He’s filled up the cover with ‘Kim loves Gerald’ and ‘I love Gerald’.

Class: You love Gerald?! Oyyyyyyy!

Gerald: Yan witness kayong lahat. Inamin na nya. She can’t hide her feelings anymore.

Kim: No! Those are the words that Gerald had written all over my book, binasa ko lang!

Gerald: Kimmy wa’g mong ipagbintang sa iba if napapahiya ka na you’ve been found out na sobrang in love ka sa akin and you can’t stop scribbling all over your books about how you love me. Ok lang yan, the feeling’s mutual naman eh.

Kim: Arghhh! Wa’g kayong maniwala dyan guys. Eto oh, handwriting nya. Never mind na nga lang. This conversation is going nowhere. I don’t wanna waste my time trying to reason with you guys. Hmph!

**********************************************************

Gerald leaned his chin on his hands as he dreamily watched Kim talking to Matteo and Rob. “Ang ganda nya talaga. I can’t help but smile whenever I hear her cute laugh.”

Joaqui: Why don’t you just go over and talk to her?

Gerald: Like it’s really that easy. Did you forget that she’s still mad at me?

Joaqui: Eh di kulitin mo like usual so you have an excuse to talk to her.

Gerald and Joaqui walked over to where Kim was sitting. Joaqui gave him an unexpected push. In an attempt to regain his balance, he fell straight into a hug with Kim, his lips almost touching hers. Their eyes met as faces were only centimetres apart and neither one had the strength to move. He could feel his speeding heartbeat and his hands felt ice cold in seconds. “Damn you Joaqui! How am I going to get out of this? She’s gonna kill me.”

Kim: Get off me or I’ll kick your .

Gerald: So there you are! I've been looking all over for you, the woman of my dreams! Hi, I'm Mr. Right. Someone said you were looking for me.

Kim: Oh how sad! You’ve sunked down that low that you’re actually resorting to lame pick-up lines now?

Gerald: Kahit lame, it worked on you. The sparkle in your eyes proves it. Eto pa para hindi ka na talaga makakatulog mamaya. Is your dad a terrorist? Cause baby, you’re the bomb!

Kim: Gerald, did you fall down from heaven? That would explain what happened to your face.

Gerald: Hey, not fair! I used pick-up lines that compliment you bakit ang sayo nanglalait?

Kim: Oh I’m sorry I didn’t realize you were fishing for compliments. Ok eto, ‘wow, you look great, you’ve got to refer me to your plastic surgeon!’

Gerald: Why do I get the feeling that this is just gonna get worse and worse by the minute?

Kim: Your eyes are as brown as my toilet water at home.

Gerald: (laughed) That’s messed up.

Kim: I was peaceful minding my own business, bakit ka kasi biglang sumulpot with your corny lines? Can’t you let a minute go pass without bugging me?

Gerald’s smile faded, his playful voice replaced with a serious tone. “I can’t let a minute go pass without being close to you. Without hearing your lovely voice.”

All Kim could do was stay silent as the whole class started teasing them. She wanted to say something funny to get out of the situation. She wanted to say something that could irritate Gerald to avoid the issue. His words sunked into her heart and she couldn’t help but blush. He sounded so believeable. She wanted to get out of there. Away from all the teases, laughters and excited looks on her friends’ faces. Without thinking, she grabbed Gerald’s hand and dragged him outside away from everyone.

Kim: Mag-usap nga tayo. Why do you like annoying me so much? Why do you have to make my life a living hell? I’m supposed to be the one taking out a revenge on you. Instead na mag-sorry, you’re fighting back pa! Kapal mo talaga!

Gerald: Kim, I am sorry. I’ve said that to you a million times. I’ve written those words on each and every card I’ve given you every school day. And I really do mean those words. I never intended to give you a hard time. Kinukulit lang kita dahil it’s the only way I know of to be close to you. It’s better than not hearing your voice at all. It’s better than not having any interactions with you at all. It lifts up my spirits to have an excuse to talk to you. I’ve missed you so much Kim.

Kim: That’s enough Gerald. I don’t want to hear it. Sorry, I thought I was ready to talk.

Her eyes were turning red and her pride wouldn’t allow her to display sadness in front of him. She chose to walk away and struggled not to look back.