Curious

Your Words

 

 
After her head healed up, Mina figured she was well enough for physical activity. She strapped on her familiar running shoes and made for the nearby park.
 
It was a beautiful day, but there didn't seem to be so many people around. She ended her run at a clearing, where empty benches lined the path.
 
She panted hard, clasping her hands behind her neck to catch her breath. Then, she looked around. There was no one there. Now was her chance.
 
She stepped up to a bench, gazing down at the ground from her higher viewpoint. Then, she closed her eyes and took a deep breath. Perhaps today was the day that she could finally capture that sensation of falling.
 
She was so focused that she didn't hear the soft tread of footsteps running up the path.
 
*
 
Sunggyu breathed in the crisp autumn air. As he ran, he reflected on Ari's latest post. Something about the value of running as a way of escaping your past and chasing after your future.
 
He came to a fork in the path, chose the left way, and soon came across a clearing. He slowed to a walk, trying to catch his breath.
 
Then, he looked up and stopped dead in his tracks. A girl was standing on one of the park benches, arms slightly raised and eyes closed. She seemed to be leaning forward slightly.
 
Mina?!
 
He ran up to her, standing just before her. He was about to call out to her, when suddenly, she started to fall forward.
 
"Omo!" He panicked, reaching out reflexively. She landed right in his arms. Luckily, the fall wasn't too high, and she was light. But his touch surprised her. Her eyes popped open.
 
"What the... " She looked about, following the arms that held her until she came face to face with him. For a moment, they stared deep into each other's wide eyes.
 
Mina recovered first. "SUNGGYU?!"
 
He chuckled a little darkly, and tried not to notice how close their faces were to each other. "You remember my name?"
 
Quickly, she set her feet on the ground and pushed away from him with a frown. "Dammit, didn't I tell you to leave me alone??" she snapped before turning on her heel.
 
But he wasn't going to let her walk away this time. He needed to know.
 
"Yah." He made to follow her, and when she sensed it, she started running down the path.
 
He began running too, and caught up to her. "Yah! Mina! Tell me what you were doing."
 
"Go away!"
 
He smiled. "Not this time. C'mon. Tell me," he dared.
 
"No!"
 
"Fine." Silently, he ran beside her. She tried to lose him, but whenever she sped up, he kept pace, and whenever she slowed down, he followed suit. He chuckled at her.
 
"You know," he said. "I'm as stubborn as you are. And I'm not leaving until you tell me."
 
"Go away, you jerk!"
 
She tried to duck down different paths, sprint away, or surprise him by randomly turning around and running back, but he always kept up. After a while, she grew tired, and to her disdain, she stopped, wheeling at him in frustration.
 
"Fine!" she panted. "Just... first, tell me why you want to know."
 
He panted beside her, and shrugged. "Just curious."
 
She squinted at him suspiciously. "I'm a writer, and I'm trying to capture the sensation of falling." Then, without another word, she turned to walk away.
 
"Yah!" He caught up to her. "That's it?"
 
"Mm."
 
"Why didn't you want to say so beforehand?"
 
She wheeled at him. "It's none of your business!! That's why!"
 
"So, is that what you were doing on the bridge?"
 
She frowned, choosing not to answer him. Then, she hastened her walk.
 
"You know, your writing was beautiful."
 
She stopped dead in her tracks, and faced him. "Mwo?"
 
"Your writing. About dreaming."
 
Her eyes rounded in disbelief. "Sunggyu. Don't screw around with me," she said in a tone dripping with venom.
 
"Yah! I'm not! Seriously... You could write a book." He smiled, watching her eyes flick when he alluded to her secret. "Want me to scout around for you? Find a publisher?"
 
Her nose flared with anger. "I would rather die than get help from you." Then, she turned, stomping down the path.
 
He watched her go, feeling almost certain now that she was Ari. He couldn't help but chuckle. For some reason, it entertained him how angry he could make her.
 
 
---
 
 
I'd like to dedicate this chapter to my chingu and fellow Hoya-lover, s_rahbear!! She is so sweet <3  Make sure you check out her latest fic 'Hoya; The Dancer' (click here!). The story is amazing, and I'm SUPER addicted to it! I always get updates right when I wake up, and they always set my day off to an awesome start. So check it out! You won't regret it!! :)
 
Also, any SHINee fans in the house? ♫ Oh, I'm curious, yeahhh! ♫