A Casual Run-In

Your Words

 

 
Mina put the boy down for a nap and sat at a bench outside, absentmindedly watching Hoya and Woohyun play basketball with some older kids of the house. Sunggyu took a seat next to her, offering her a soda he'd grabbed.
 
"Thanks," she said. They popped open their drinks and slurped quietly, when Mina turned to him.
 
"Sunggyu... we're...okay. Right?"
 
He gave a slight frown. "Why wouldn't we be?"
 
She furrowed her brow with a small sigh. "Look, I don't want you getting the wrong ideas about anything. About me."
 
He bought time by staring out, watching Woohyun make a smooth lay-up. He wished he could pretend that he didn't know what she was talking about. But he understood.
 
"Of course I won't, Mina." Then, he forced a smile at her. "I said I just wanted to be friends, right?"
 
She peered deep into his eyes, reading him, and then let herself chuckle. "Right."
 
Just then, another tour van pulled up. They watched through the wrought-iron gate as a few boys piled out. A manager ran out to greet them.
 
"That must be SHINee," Sunggyu said. "I haven't met them yet, but I hear they're getting pretty famous, especially abroad." He stood. "I think I'll go to meet them. Want to come?"
 
She shrugged. She didn't really care to meet celebrities that she knew embarrassingly little about. "It's okay. I'll stay here." And with that, Sunggyu turned to leave.
 
*******
 
A manager was talking with the boys when Sunggyu approached. On seeing him, the manager waved him over. "Sunggyu! Come meet SHINee."
 
Sunggyu bowed deeply to each of them. "Annyeong-haseyo, Sunggyu-imnida--"
 
The members began introducing themselves with warm smiles. Sunggyu smiled back, until one tall, thin boy spoke up next.
 
"Annyeong-haseyo. I'm Key."
 
Sunggyu froze, staring at him. The manager picked up where he left off in the conversation, but Sunggyu couldn't hear any of it. In his mind, he only saw one thing.
 
A picture frame. Mina, with one arm wrapped around this tall, thin boy.
 
Sunggyu discreetly clenched his fist. For some reason, he suddenly felt fiercely protective. He wanted nothing more than to get Mina out of the house. Who knows what would happen if they met.
 
She probably still loves him, he thought, a weird hate for this boy spreading through his chest. I need to keep them from meeting.
 
When the moment allowed, he excused himself, and hurried back to the backyard. Mina was still relaxing on the bench.
 
"Yah, Mina. We need to go--" he started to say, when suddenly another manager called out to him. He cringed, and then obediently walked over to where the manager spoke with a couple cameramen.
 
He half-listened, instead watching in dread as some SHINee members found their way outside. Right in view of Mina.
 
Get away, he wished for her. He held his breath when that jerk thin boy, Key, followed his hyungs outside. For a moment, time stood still. Then, finally, Key and Mina locked eyes, and Sunggyu felt a small weight sink in his stomach.
 
*******
 
He's here..., Mina thought. After all this time that I've waited, he's finally standing right here.
 
For a breathless moment, she wouldn't let herself believe it. She frowned hard, trying to convince her thumping heart that she was imagining things. This was just a look-a-like celebrity. Not her Kibum. There's nothing to worry about. Right?
 
But that all shattered when he spoke her name.
 
"M-Mina?" Then, to her surprise, he offered a small smile.
 
When she heard his voice, she felt like crying. She wanted to run up to him, fall into his familiar embrace, breathe in his scent, and never let go. I've missed you, Kibum. I've missed you so much, she screamed in her head. It was almost as if all of her heartache melted away in that one moment.
 
Almost.
 
But then, suddenly, a cold emptiness swept through the hole in her heart. She relived how he'd left, with only a small "Sorry" scratched on a spare piece of paper. She remembered how she had opened herself up completely to him, and how he had left her desolate and pathetic and depressed. How she couldn't even write anything of substance in all her sadness.
 
Slowly, she stood. She didn't notice that his other members were eyeing them quizzically, nor that Sunggyu and Woohyun had turned to watch from afar, sensing a weird aura in the air. An eerie hush fell around them. With a blank expression, she walked towards him.
 
"Mina. I've missed you." He flashed that wide grin that used to set her heart fluttering. He seemed to gauge her as she approached, and began opening his arms up, inviting her to a hug.
 
But then she stopped short of him, standing just shy of his reach. He dropped his pretty smile. "Mina?"
 
Then, in a flash, she punched him clean across the face.
 
 
---
 
 
Surprise! The ex-boyfriend is none other than Key from SHINee!!
 
tumblr_m8t64n6Vm11rs97fco1_500.gif
 
 
Recently, I've been getting SUPER into SHINee and this crazy kid's personality. I also love that he and Woohyun are really good friends irl :D  I've wanted to sneak him into one of my stories for a while now, and here it is!! Maybe in the (very near) future, I'll channel all my love for them into a SHINee fanfic XD
 
Hands up if you're a Shawol!!