A Splash of Red

Your Words

 

"Hyung, you're reading that book again?!" Woohyun slid into the seat next to his friend, trying not to move around so much so he won't ruin whatever the stylist did to his hair.

 
Sunggyu looked up at him with a guilty smile. "Yeah. There's something about this author...when they write, it makes me think. Like, I realize something more about my life."
 
Woohyun rolled his eyes playfully. "Whatever, hyung." Then, he leaned back in his chair, shutting his eyes for a chance at a quick nap.
 
Sunggyu scanned the backstage room. The rest of the Infinite members seemed to be ready, sitting here and there in their fashionable matching outfits and eating or talking. Only Hoya was missing, and Sunggyu figured that the stylist was still working on his new hairstyle.
 
He rose with a yawn, throwing his arms up for a wide stretch. Then, he tucked his favorite book back into his duffel bag. It would have to wait until after the show.
 
*******
 
The next day, Sunggyu struggled to stay awake. The show was amazing--high energy and virtually free of mistakes (except when L accidentally slipped coming on stage). But, the managers still wanted to do some recap with Sunggyu. Reluctantly, the leader woke up before the rest of the members and hoisted himself into the tour van so that the driver can lug him to the studio.
 
He peeked outside. It was cloudy, and everything seemed to be a shade of grey. The van hurried quickly down the road, smoothly whisking him onto a small bridge over a large water.
 
Suddenly, a splash of red broke the grey landscape. Sunggyu's eyes bugged out when he realized what it was.
 
"AHJUSSI! STOP THE VAN!!" he cried, and the driver slammed onto his brakes in surprise. Quickly, Sunggyu pulled the van door open and jumped onto the sidewalk.
 
His eyes hadn't deceived him. On the bridge, there was a girl in a red shirt. She had climbed onto the ledge, and stood, eerily leaning over the dark water. As Sunggyu watched, she lifted her arms, stretching them out in front of her.
 
She's going to jump.
 
"WAIT!" Sunggyu cried. He dashed towards the girl. She didn't move, as if she didn't hear him, and when he got close, he found that she was closing her eyes.
 
Without a moment's hesitation, Sunggyu reached for her. He wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled her off the ledge, tumbling backwards until they both fell heavily on the sidewalk.
 
At his touch, the girl finally came alive, snapping her eyes open while they fell. And when the dust settled, she looked dead into Sunggyu's eyes with an icy glare.
 
"What the HELL do you think you're doing?!" she screamed.
 
Sunggyu clutched at his heart, panting slightly and thankful that he'd come in time. "Don't...don't do it. Don't jump."
 
He kind of hoped for some appreciation, or else braced for her to break down or something, but to his surprise, she bolted up. She looked dangerously angry.
 
"I wasn't going to jump!"
 
He stood too, slowing when he heard her words. "Mwo??"
 
"I wasn't going to jump!! In fact, you could have killed me just now by accidentally pushing me in!"
 
He was speechless, and her anger only silenced him further. He searched for words, but they just weren't coming. 
 
She eyed him in disgust, and then spat at the ground at his feet. "Next time, stay out of other people's business. ARASSO?!" Then, she turned in a huff, storming down the street.
 
He blinked after her, stunned by their exchange. He wasn't wrong, was he? What else was he supposed to think, with her standing over the edge like that?!
 
With a sullen shake of the head, he turned back to the tour van and slid the door closed. It was already coming to be quite the ty day.
 
---
 
 
Thanks for reading Chapter 1! I wanted to keep it short. If you like Sunggyu, and this weird occurence on the bridge left you with unanswered questions, then tune in next time!! More coming soon :)