Don't Fall Down

Your Words

 

 
Mina didn't know what to do. Kibum's eyes bore into her with such intensity, that it made her nervous. She cleared , tucking a strand of hair behind her ear and glancing away to buy time.
 
"I... I'm glad your face is okay," she said lamely.
 
He chuckled. "You pack quite a punch."
 
Her eyes flickered back to him. "Yah. Don't expect me to apologize for it."
 
"I really didn't think you would." He smiled shyly, scratching at the back of his neck. "Besides, I kind of had it coming. Didn't I?"
 
"You have no idea," she said, but for some reason, she felt the tug of a smile on the corner of her lips. It made her glad that he knew what he did was wrong.
 
It almost made it easier for her to forgive him.
 
He tucked his hands into his jean pockets, rocking back and forth a little. She knew that he only did that if he was nervous. Or wanted to ask for something. Suddenly, he focused his gaze on her.
 
"Mina. Are... are you okay?"
 
She thought a little. Then, she nodded.
 
"I'm... I'm really sorry. For leaving like that. You know that...right?"
 
She frowned, searching within herself. "I think so."
 
"Do you think we could... start over?"
 
She zeroed in on him, a fire in her eyes. Immediately, he raised his hands, waving them in surrender. "No! No... I don't mean like that. I mean... maybe we could just learn to be... to be..."
 
She put her hands on her hips, looking away. Say it, she dared him. Say that God-forsaken word.
 
"...friends?"
 
She had played out this moment countless times in her mind. Ever since he left, she had sworn to herself that, once the word was out of his mouth, she would pop him square in the jaw and run away forever.
 
But she'd already punched him, and she'd already tried to run away. Obviously, it didn't do her too much good. If anything, it seemed to quiet the burning rage that she once had. 
 
He read her face as she hesitated, and then he tried again. "Would you like to meet me tomorrow? Over coffee?"
 
All of a sudden, she felt weak. She didn't feel like fighting it any more. She was so damn tired of being angry. And so, despite everything that happened, and despite all of her better judgment, she felt herself nodding her head, ever so slightly.
 
It wasn't until after she had given him her new number, walked away, and processed their little interaction a hundred times over that Sunggyu's face finally flashed through her mind. She swallowed nervously, wondering what he would say.
 
Wondering if she should tell him at all.
 
***
 
There was a small break at dance practice, so Sunggyu sat against the far wall and played on his phone. Immediately, he logged on to Ari's blog, wondering if there would be any updates.
 
His face fell a little when he saw absolutely no change in activity. It's not that he expected her to write or anything. But a part of him had hoped she would give her thoughts about what happened last night. Did she value being together as much as he did? He sincerely hoped so. The alternative was almost too much for him to handle.
 
He sighed, letting his head fall back. Then, he smirked to himself. Maybe he was getting too greedy, too soon.
 
Time ticked slowly by, teasing him as he counted down the seconds until he could hold her in his arms once more.
 
*******
 
Finally, finally, he stood at her door. He knocked hard, squeezing the bouquet of lilies he'd brought her while he waited. After what felt like a millennia, her door finally swung open.
 
"Hi," she said, smiling widely.
 
He blinked. She seemed even more beautiful than he remembered, even though he'd just seen her last night. After a moment of staring, he rushed forward, scooping her into his arms.
 
She giggled. "Sunggyu, you make it seem like you haven't seen me in years!" she teased. She leaned back to look into his face. Then, he leaned forward, gently wrapping his lips around hers.
 
She loved his kisses. They were slow and sweet. Like a whisper, or a secret shared only between them. They sent her heart fluttering.
 
After a while, she teasingly pulled away. "Sunggyu. Aren't you hungry?"
 
But he wasn't having any of it. He leaned forward even farther, continuing to engage her lips. "Yeah," he said between kisses. "But not for food."
 
She smirked, playfully pushing him away. "Come on, you old grandpa. Let's eat."
 
He rolled his eyes with a smile, but then followed her lead, shrugging off his coat and placing the bouquet of flowers on the table. She went to stir the stew that sat on the stove.
 
"So, how was your day?" he asked.
 
She froze. How honest should I be?, she wondered once more. "F-fine. Normal."
 
He didn't catch her hesitation. "Oh, Mina. There's a CF shooting tomorrow. Want to come? Say hello to the members?"
 
"T-tomorrow?" she stuttered. Then, she scowled at herself. Pull yourself together, Mina, she thought. "Uh... I can't tomorrow." She faced Sunggyu, jumping a little when she found him watching her.
 
"Why not?"
 
"I have... I have a meeting." She bit her lip. She liked Sunggyu a lot, and here she was, already lying to him.
 
He read her face, seeming to gauge her. She focused on looking neutral.
 
"Okay," he finally said. "Maybe next time."
 
"Yeah," she repeated. "Next time."
 
They both tried not to notice the stale silence that filled the air.
 
 
 
---
 
 
Trouble.
 
I would like to dedicate this chapter to my friend, artangel04. She has been a loyal reader and commenter on a few of my stories, and recently, she gave me perhaps the best present I have ever received as a writer: a beautiful tribute video to this very story! I must have watched it at least 30 times with a big, goofy smile on my face. I love it so much!! XD  Thank you so much, friend :)
 
Please make sure you watch it below (and watch it in HD)!! Don't forget to check out her stories, and to tune in next time for more of Mina, Sunggyu, and the others :)