Awake

Your Words

 

 
Mina felt seasick. There was a throbbing in her head, and then the blinding of lights passing over her. She distantly felt like she was getting carried, as if she lay on a wildly rolling bed, and then there was the sensation of someone taking her hand.
 
She tried to open her eyes, but the blinding lights were too much for her. Then, a face entered her vision. A boy with orangey hair looked down on her.
 
She remembered from somewhere that she was supposed to hate that boy, but she couldn't remember the reason why. She tried to frown, but even scrunching up her face hurt too much.
 
Then the boy seemed to talk to her, but she couldn't hear anything. She focused on his face, reading his lips.
 
Stay with me. Stay with me.
 
No, she wanted to say. I don't want to. But suddenly, she felt too tired and she closed her eyes, letting the world fall to darkness again.
 
*******
 
When Mina finally woke up, she was alone in a simple white hospital room. She looked about with a confused frown, and tried to sit up before a throbbing in her head told her it was probably better to take it easy.
 
Tentatively, she felt at her forehead. There was a patch of gauze on its side, and she cringed in pain when she touched it.
 
What the hell happened to me?, she wondered.
 
Just then, a nurse walked in. "Oh! You're finally awake!"
 
"Where...where am I--"
 
"You're in the hospital, dear." The nurse seemed a little too perky for Mina's liking, and busied herself with different papers posted beside Mina's bed. "You were in a car accident. It seems that you went for a jog and crossed the street without looking."
 
Mina thought hard. Yes, there was a faint memory of running, and seeing the front of a large brown van.
 
The nurse turned to her. "But, don't worry, dear. It seems your friend was there to take good care of you."
 
Mina thought hard. Friend?
 
The nurse smiled, and then briskly made to walk out of the room. But Mina stopped her before she left.
 
"Wait! Nurse... is it possible to get some paper and a pen?"
 
The nurse tilted her head in wonder at Mina's interesting request, but then smiled. "I'll be right back."
 
 
---
 
Short chapter, because the next one is long.