A Surprise Visit

Your Words

 

 
"Yoboseyo?"
 
"Neh...I'm calling for Sunggyu?"
 
Woohyun peeked into his room. Sunggyu was still, lying on his bed, with a book propped open on his stomach.
 
"...I think he's asleep."
 
He heard a sigh on the other side. "But I really need to talk to him."
 
"Who is this?"
 
"The girl who's van he hit. Mina."
 
Woohyun froze. "Uh...oh. Let me take down your number, and I'll have him call you back, okay?"
 
***
 
Sunggyu never really fell asleep. His thoughts swirled around that crazy girl. He knew he shouldn't worry about her, and that paying her hospital bills more or less released him from any further obligation. But somehow, he couldn't get her out of his mind. It wasn't any of his business, and he knew that, but he desperately wanted answers from her. He needed to know why she was on the bridge, and why her words seemed so familiar to him.
 
Curiosity kept gnawing at him, and after a while, he gave up the chance at any sleep. He looked around, and saw that Woohyun was watching him with guilty puppy-dog eyes.
 
"What is it, Woohyun?" He let his eyes fall shut again. "Did you bully Sungjong too much again?"
 
"Hyung...are you going to get out of bed?"
 
With a sigh, Sunggyu sat up. "What is it?" he repeated.
 
"You know that girl... that you've been having bad luck with?"
 
Sunggyu frowned. "Yeah. What about her?"
 
"She called. She wanted to talk to you."
 
Sunggyu rolled his eyes. The girl probably just wanted to chew his ear out some more. "Alright," he said with a groan. "What's her number?"
 
Woohyun handed him a piece of paper, but then his eyes flashed with guilt again. "Hyung... actually...I said it'd be okay if she stopped by here."
 
"MWO??"
 
Woohyun nodded slowly. Before Sunggyu could retort, though, they heard the shrill ring of their doorbell.
 
*******
 
Reluctantly, Sunggyu pushed himself to walk down the stairs. He was not in the mood for another angry tirade by this girl.
 
As he neared, he saw that Dongwoo had already answered the door and was smiling and talking animatedly. He rolled his eyes. That dinosaur could make friends with anyone, even a crazy girl with a hot temper.
 
"Do you want to come in--" Dongwoo began to say, but Sunggyu was already at the door. He put a hand on his dongsaeng's shoulder to stop him.
 
"It's okay, Dongwoo. I got this."
 
Dongwoo watched as the girl and Sunggyu locked eyes. All of a sudden, there was a strange tension in the air, so he slowly bowed to the girl and left the two to talk.
 
Sunggyu didn't invite her in. "What do you want."
 
Mina frowned hard, glaring at the ground as she clenched her fists. Sunggyu braced himself for another explosion of fury. But to his surprise, she said something else.
 
"Thank you."
 
He cocked his head back in surprise. "Mwo??"
 
"Thank you for taking me to the hospital and staying with me. And thank you for paying the bills." Then, she finally looked up, speaking in a low growl. "But I don't like owing people. I need to pay you back. How much was it."
 
Sunggyu surveyed her, from the band-aid still taped to her forehead to the thin line of her pursed lips. She was so vehemently angry, and so obviously was having a hard time with this. For some reason, it struck him as funny, and before he could stop himself, he chuckled.
 
"Yah! Do you think this is funny?!" she snarled threateningly.
 
"Aniyo! Aniyo." He held a hand to his mouth until he calmed himself. "Why don't you come inside, and we could talk."
 
Before she could say no, he meandered back into his dorm, disappearing down the hallway. If she really wanted to pay him back, she knew she would have to follow. So with painful reluctance, she crossed the threshold.
 
*******
 
He led her to the kitchen, where he began pouring himself some orange juice. She stood awkwardly in the doorway, taking in the place while she waited for a cue.
 
"Want some?" he said, shaking the juice carton.
 
She frowned hard. "I don't plan on staying long."
 
He shrugged. "Suit yourself." Then, he took a seat at the table, motioning for her to sit too.
 
He took a big swig from his glass, peeking at her over the edge. She seemed uncomfortable, and hardly waited for a moment before speaking up about it.
 
"Are you going to tell me how much it cost, or not."
 
He chuckled. "Can we start over or something? Here, I'll start." He offered his hand. "Hello. I'm Sunggyu."
 
If it was even possible, her frown deepened as she stared at his hand. "Look, I'm not here to make friends."
 
Sunggyu scoffed, wondering how such a sharp tongue could exist in this world. "Ok... I'll pretend that you just introduced yourself as Mina. Hello, Mina. Nice to meet you." He shook his empty hand in the air in sarcastic gesture, before taking another sip from his glass.
 
She eyed him, her patience running thin really quick. "So?"
 
"So... I have a proposition for you." He chuckled, and then leaned in slightly. "How about, instead of paying me back the bills, you answer a few questions for me."
 
Her eyes narrowed in suspicion. "What questions?"
 
"First, what were you doing on the bridge."
 
"No! I told you already. That's none of your business!"
 
"Look, I'm trying to cut you a deal here. Answer this, and I won't expect payment back for the hospital bills."
 
"No!"
 
"Please? I just want to know!"
 
But Mina had had enough. She stood up, anger flaring. "Listen, you! I'm tired of playing your stupid games! Tell me how much I owe you right now, or I leave without paying you back!"
 
Sunggyu leaned back in his chair, taking her in with a shake of the head. "Fine then. Leave."
 
His words shocked her. "Mwo? Don't you care about all that money?!"
 
Sunggyu just shrugged, coolly taking another sip of his juice. She eyed him with an icy glare. How could he be so willing to let go of his own money, and not try to get it back?
 
"You disgust me."
 
Then, without another word, she barged out of the dorm.
 
 
---
 
 
A LOT of this story is pre-written. I don't have an ending yet, and it's already pretty long. >.< I might double update a lot. Hope you all don't mind!!