A New Friend?

Fire and Ice

Hae ran excitedly with Jonghyun in tow towards Jae during lunch.  Minho was trailing behind them a few steps.  Hae was smiling widely and called out, "Jae! You'll never guess what happened!"  Jae raised an eyebrow, "You all got A's on your poems."  Hae paused, "Well duh, but that's not what I was excited about!  They want our poems to go in their showcase thing."  Jae smiled, "That's awesome Hae.  I didn't get to read it last night, can I?"  Hae bit her lip nervously, "Um, I don't think that's a good idea."  The girl's smile faultered slightly, but she replaced it quickly, "Oh, alright.  I need to go to the library anyway.  I guess I'll see you during gym."  Minho glanced at the retreating girl before turning towards her sister, "What is about that your sister cant read it?"  Hae sighed, "It's about Jae, but it could bring back unwanted memories for her.  It certainly did for me." Jonghyun frowned, "Why?"  She sighed, "Jae used to be really sick.  Like nearly dead sick.  Now it's a tabboo topic."  Minho raised an eyebrow, "Sick?"  Hae nodded, but said no more on the subject.

 

Jae sat down in the library.  She pulled out her notebook and bean scribbling in it.  Key watched from one of the rows of shelves.  He got this feeling that leaving her be was what she had wanted, but he also knew that some times being left alone with your thoughts was nearly suicide.  Finally, sighing, he slid the book that he had in his hand back onto the shelf and quietly walked towards the girl.  Jae's eyes flicked up to him when he pulled out the chair next to her and she hastily closed her notebook.  Key raised an eyebrow and whispered, "I thought you said that you were going to go sit in the courtyard for lunch?"  Jae nodded at him, "Ya, I finished eating and then it got really loud out there so I came in here." He nodded and smiled, "Well that's fine with me, do you want to walk to English with me.  I am really nervous about this whole poetry thing."  Key noticed the dark flash across Jae's face before she nodded, "Sure."

 

Jae stood silently beside Key as he grabbed his things from his locker.  He could feel that she was thinking about something big and didn't really want to interupt her.  He had a sinking feeling that it had it do with the poetry.  When he was finished grabbing everything, he reached over and ruffed her hair, pulling her out of her trance.  She glanced up at his quizically, "What?"  "Don't get too serious."  he whispered.  Jae smirked, "What did one ocean say to the other ocean?"  Key paused, then shrugged.  Her grin widened, "Nothing.  It just waved."  He chuckled and ran a hand through his hair, "Can we promote you from a ty joke teller to master of god aweful humor?"  Jae shrugged, "I don't know about that.  I may get arrested by the failed farce fuzz."  Key raised an eyebrow, "Failed farce fuzz?"  She blushed, "Basically the bad joke police."  He shook his head and rolled hs eyes, a smile playing at his lips.

 

Key set his stuff down at his desk before going and sitting on top of Jae's.  Her eyes were watching out the door, where she could see Jonghyun retrieving his stuff from his locker.  She suddenly turned to Key, "Do you think Jonghyun likes my sister?"  The boy shrugged, "I don't know with him anymore.  He's changed a lot since we were kids."  Jae raised an eyebrow, and Key continued, "We've known each other since we were in diapers.  The only girl that ever meant anything to Jonghyun was his mom.  But, his dad was abusive to her and a couple years ago they both died in a car crash.  Before, he was too busy helping her to ever even think about girls.  Afterwards, he didn't know what to do and like a lost puppy, he's been searching for his mother in the women around him.  It started out with our math teacher at the time, she felt bad and comforted him physically and now he's just gotten to the point to where he thinks that's the only answer.  Honestly, I think he just needs someone who will jerk him around mentally and maybe then he'll find what he's looking for.  But, until then, I couldn't tell you if he was serious even if he outright told me."

 

Jae sighed and watched Jonghyun walk off to his next class.  She would have never guessed that he had a past like that.  Key smiled down at her, "Are you interested in him?"  Jae shot him a glare, "Over my dead body.  He's not even my type."  The bell rang and Key smirked before heading back to his seat.  Mrs. Choi, their english teacher, walked in and called for everybody's poems to be passed forward.  Jae carefully tore hers out of her notebook and handed it to the kid in front of her.  "While I correct your papers please work with the person next to you in your row.  I don't care what you talk about, but you need to be speaking and make sure you are speaking in English."  

 

Jae turned to the boy and realized that she really didn't know anyone in any of her classes.  She awkwardly smiled, "Ah, I'm sorry, I'm bad with names, what is yours?"  He smiled, "It's okay.  I'm fairly bad with them too.  My name is Lee Seung Jun, but just call me Jun."  Jae nodded, "Jang Jae Byeol, or just Jae."  Jun smiled, "Wow your English is almost perfect.  I'm kind of jealous."  She shrugged, "Well, when you live in London for a while, it tends to improve your English skills."  He laughed, "Probaby a little.  Why were you in London?"  Jae scratched the back of her head, "Actually my parents are the head of the Jang Group.  My mom took me there with her to help set up a new medical lab."  She looked away, hoping that he didn't catch the little bit of the story she left out.  Luckily, he hadn't and his mouth dropped open, "So your family is like rich?  You must have a huge house."  She shrugged, "I guess, though I still share a room with my sister."  

 

Jun raised an eye brow, "Wait.  Sister?  Don't tell me you're Jang Hae Byeol's sister."  Jae nodded, "When our names are one letter off, there is a very high possibility that I am Jang Hae Byeol's sister."  He blushed, "I guess that makes sense."  She rolled her eyes.  Jun's eyes flickered towards Key, "So, do you and Kim Kibum have a thing going on?"  She stared at him questioningly, "No.  Why would you think that?"  He shrugged, "Well, he doesn't take much interest in anybody.  Key going out of his way to talk to a girl has the whole school wondering what's so special about you."  Jae smirked, "Nothing much, he just talks to me so that way I can't be over seeing every move Jonghyun makes on my sister."  "Oh, I see."  Jun hummed before falling silent.

 

Mrs. Choi cleared from the front of the class, "Alright you guys.  There were some really good poems and some really bad poems and some that I am pretty sure that you didn't really try with, but everybody that turned theirs in got full credit.  Some of you when you get your papers back will have a note on them seeing if you would be willing to enter it into the showcase we are doing.  If you are okay with that then would you please bring it back tomorrow typed up."

 

Jae grabbed her paper and it had a note requesting that she turn it into the showcase.  Jun leaned over and smiled, "You should do the showcase thing.  I think it'd be cool."  Jae shrugged, "Maybe.  We'll see if I have enough time tonight."