The Studio

Fire and Ice

Jae walked away from the school with her duffle bag slung over her shoulder.  She glanced back slightly to see Hae get into the car and drive off.  She waited until they had turned the corner before facing the street and hailing a cab.  It wasn't that she was hiding something from everybody, it was more like she was hiding something from Hae.  Their parents knew, their driver knew, but Hae wasn't supposed to.  Jae watched out the window as they sped through the streets of Seoul.  They pulled to a stop and she paid the cabbie before walking into the building.  She jogged through the familiar hallways before entering a locker room. Jae quickly pulled her hair up into a small pony tail and a pair of sweats on.  Then, made her way into the small studio.

 

Jae had about a hour and a half all to herself in the studio before kids would start showing up.  This had been her secret for a while now from Hae.  At first dancing had been just something to blow off steam, but after a couple times in classes it turned into an addiction.  Then, they had offered Jae a job as a instructor for a young children's class and she just couldn't resist.  She had hurried home and told her parents and they had agreed to it.  Jae only had one special request, that Hae wouldn't know about it.  She had been twins with Hae for 17 years and was about fed up with her.  Between the wake of broken hearts that followed her and the stolen boyfriends, Jae was done.  This was her sanctuary and she wasn't about to have Hae take that from her too.

 

Jae stretched out before plugging her i-pod into the stereo system.  She let the beat run through her veins and control her body.  It went on like this as the songs changed for about a hour.  She stopped and wiped the sweat from her face as the first of her students started walking in.  The owner, Mr. Lee came in and tossed his arm over Jae's shoulder, "How are you today Miss Jang?"  She sighed, "I don't know how my sister sleeps through my parents fights.  Last night they screamed at each other for a hour.  I ended up having to go into my oppa's room until they stopped."  He frowned, "Did they work it out?"  Jae shrugged, "Dad wasn't on the couch this morning, but he was at about midnight when I went to the bathroom."  Mr. Lee sighed, "Well Jae we're having a new student come in today."  She nodded and began to work with the few kids that were there.  The room gradually filled up with girls and boys.  The new girl walked in and Jae turned and called into the back office, "Mr. Lee, she's here."  He came out of his office and rolled his eyes, "Jae, how many times do I have to tell you, call me Donghae."

 

Donghae went out into the front entry with the new student and talked to them a bit before bringing them in for the tour.  Jae glanced up and her eyes widened.  Behind the new girl stood Onew.  Donghae called over to her, "Jae come here and introduce yourself."  She walked over and bowed slightly, "Hello my name is Jae.  I am the teacher for this class."  The girl smiled, "Unnie, my name is Jin Ah, and this my brother Jinki."  Jae looked up at him and raised an eyebrow, "Jinki, huh?"  He shrugged, "There was this girl when I was like ten that started calling me Onew cause I was bright like the summer or something like that and it kind of stuck."  Jae made an O shape with Jinah looked at the two, "Does unnie know my oppa?"  Jae nodded, "Yep, your oppa and I go to the same school, we even have some of the same classes."  The girl looked up at her in awe.

 

Suddenly a boy about 8 came up and pulled on Jae's shirt.  She turned to him and listened to his whispers, "If you dance with him, I'll dance with her."  She raised an eyebrow at the boy, "What makes you think that I want to dance with him."  He shrugged, "All the noonas over there do so I thought you would too."  Jae chuckled, "Does that mean that you want to dance with Jinah?"  He blushed and she messed up his hair before standing back up.  "Jinah, why don't you go with Gongchan here and he'll show you some of the moves."  The two ran off and Jae turned to Donghae, "Ah I forgot to tell you I won't be able to come in tomorrow."  Donghae nodded and pointed at the clock, "Then you should start working now."

 

Jae called for the group to get into position and the kids ran to their spots.  She pulled Jinah off to the side as she turned the song on.  She watched the kids from the corner of her eye, stopping them ever so often as she showed Jinah the moves.  Onew wonder who he should be in more awe of, the 7-10 year old kids that were dancing amazingly in sync or that Jae was really nice and could dance.  Or, that her smile was beautiful.  After they ran the first song a few times she called for just the boys out.  The girls ran off into a side room and Onew could see them working on something.  Jae the next song and made her way to the back of the group of boys.  Onew could tell that this song was less practiced as all of the boy's eyes were watching Jae's moves in the mirror.  They ran through it a few times before the boys and girls switched spots.  Once again Jae took her spot at the back, but this time had Jinah next to her.

 

Danghae leaned over to Onew as they watched, "So, you know Jae?"  The younger nodded in return.  Donghae smiled, "Don't hurt her or her brother and I will be on you like diapers on a baby, smelling bad and giving you weird rashes."  Onew turned to the owner and just stared.  Donghae laughed, "Okay, maybe not quite like that.  But, Jae's a complicated chick, and the slightest goof could bring the things that she's been holding at bay crashing down.  Oh, speaking of things at bay don't tell her sister about this."  Onew raised an eyebrow, "Don't twins normally tell each other everything?"  The owner nodded, "Yeah, but these are the Jang twins were talking about here.  Despite the fact that they're twins, they both have been through different things."  

 

Onew's little sister ran over to him and grabbed a hold of his hand when the class ended.  Jae was helping a couple of the kids and gave them a slight wave as they walked out the studio.  Jinah skipped next to her older brother, going on about how much she liked her new dance class.  "Oppa, do you like Jae-unnie?"  She asked, catching him off guard.  Onew shrugged, "She's a nice girl, but I don't know her that well."  Jinah smiled, "You should marry her and have lots of cute babies!"  His eyes widened, "What?"