Goodbye

Fire and Ice

 

The next day Jae and Hae walked silently into class and took their spots.  Hae didn't chat with the boys.  Jae didn't pull up her headphones or tell Key to not sit on her desk.  The boys glanced between the two of them and then at each other.  Jonghyun leaned over to Hae, "What happened?"  The girl shook her head, "Nothing."  Key attempted to ask Jae the same thing, but she sat there, absentmindedly fiddling with her shirt sleeves.  The boy reached down and pulled face up by her chin to look him in the eyes.  Jae stayed like that for a minute before silently flicking his hand away.  Key sighed and slid off of her desk, heading towards his own.

 

Mrs. Lee walked in and handed out assignment sheets.  The class was dead silent and she could feel the tension.  She glanced around the room and her eyes fell upon the group that would typically be talking while they work.  Jonghyun and his friends kept sending worried glances in the way of the Jang twins.  Both girls seemed troubled.  Hae was actually trying to do her work, while Jae stared at the page in front of her, not bothering to answer any of the questions.  "Jang Hae Byeol and Jang Jae Byeol, please come with me out into the hall."  She said while standing up.  When they got out of the classroom, Mrs. Lee closed the door, preventing the class from eavesdropping.  "What's the matter?"  She asked, looking between the two girls.  Hae bit her lip and nudged Jae with her elbow.  Jae nodded, understanding her sister's silent words, "Our brother is leaving today for Japan.  We're really close with him."  Mrs. Lee smiled sadly, "Alright.  I understand, my brother left when I was your age from Busan to Incheon.  It was hard."

 

They walked back into the classroom and Mrs. Lee gave the girls a weak smile as they returned to their seats.  Soon, the class was dismissed and everyone began packing up.  Minho and Jonghyun split Hae's book between them, and carried them to class.  Hae nodded in thanks, but didn't say anything else.  As everyone else filed out of the classroom, Jae stayed sitting.  Taemin pulled Key back into the room.  The two walked over to where Jae was just beginning to stand up.  "You okay?"  The younger asked.  Jae finally sighed, "As okay as I always am."  Taemin tilted his head, "That doesn't make me reassured at all."  Jae smirked up at him, "Well good, that means that you have more in your head than just dancing."  Taemin frowned, "Well, I guess I shouldn't that worried if you're okay enough to make fun of me."

 

As they walked out of the classroom, Jae's phone vibrated and she pulled it out of her pocket.  A small smile crept across her face as she opened a picture of her brother.  He was making faces while sitting on the place.  The text underneath said, 'Love you bunches! I'll call you when we land!  P.S. There is more gauze under my bed.'  Key glanced down at the phone then smirked at Jae, "There's that smile, I was starting to think that I needed to tell you a really bad joke."  Jae sighed as they walked, "I may need one anyway."  Key smiled, "How do you make an egg roll?"  Jae bit her lip in thought before shrugging.  "You push it."  The boy said with a cheesy grin.  Taemin shook his head in disapproval, but Jae giggled slightly as they walked into their music class.

 

After music, Jae parted with the boys and headed to Chemistry.  When she walked in Jonghyun and Minho had already taken their places.  Jae's seat was right behind them, and she paused at their table, "Is Hae doing any better?"  Jonghyun nodded, "Yeah, a little bit, but what happened?"  She sighed, "It's a long story.  Hae doesn't really know much about it, and I don't even think I know the extent of it.  Just, could you please keep your eye on her?"  Jonghyun nodded again, but Minho snapped his head up at the girl, "Why?"  Jae bit back a hurt smile, "I'm worried about her.  I may be her sister, but we'll never be more different.  Honestly, I hope she'll never turn out like me and I don't have the time or the ability to make sure she doesn't."  Minho glared, "Isn't that the job of a sister?  To make sure that they are okay?"  Jae gulped and forced a smile. "I already know that I am a bad sister.  You don't need to push it in my face."  She said and took her place behind them.  

 

Jonghyun elbowed his partner in the rib, sending him a disbelieving look.  Jae, who typically was the best in the class, acidently dumped the chemicals all over herself and had to go to the sinks in the back of the room to attempt to clean herself up.  Jonghyun watched her for a second as she frustratedly pulled off ehr apron and tried to wipe the chemical out of her shirt before going to help her.  He wettened a towel in the sink before wiping reaching to wipe the subtance from her sleeves.  Jae pulled her arms away from him as the towel made contact, with a quick inhale and piercing glare.  "Just go work, I can handle this."  She said through gritted teeth.  Jonghyun shook his head, "No, that stuff has to sting, especially on your arms. You know, I have an extra t-shirt in my laocker that you could use."  The boy couldn't understand the look that flashed across the girl's eyes at his suggestion.  It was somewhere between frightened and worried.  She shook her head, "Thanks for the offer, but no thank you."  She turned and continued to scrub at her shirt.

 

Jonghyun walked back to his seat and glanced at Jae's seat, shocked to realise that she didn't have a lab partner.  "Has Jae always never had a lab partner?"  He asked as he sat down.  Minho shrugged, "I think that there might have been someone that was there for a few days, but I think she transfered out."  When Jae got back, Jonghyun turned around, "You aren't going to have time to finish this by yourself, so just come up here and work with us."  Jae glanced towards Minho before shaking her head, "I'll just work on it during lunch.  But, thanks anyways."

 

The boys left her and headed towards the lunch room.  Onew had asked Jae if she needed any help as he walked out with them, but she just shook her head.  They met up with Hae, Key and Taemin at their usual lunch table.  "Jae eating outside again?"  Hae asked as they sat down.  Jonghyun shook his head, "Nope.  She messed up the lab in chemestry and is going to redo it now."  Hae glanced up at the boys, "Really?  Jae messed up?"  "Spilled the chemicals all over herself."  Hae's eyes widened, "Oh my god.  Jae."  She stood up.  Key grabbed the hem of her shirt, "What's wrong?"  Hae pulled away from him, "I was so worried about me, that I forgot that it's worse for Jae."

 

Minho raised an eyebrow, "What's worse for Jae?"  Hae sighed, shakily, "Our brother left for Japan today."  "How come that is worse for Jae?  I mean he is both of your brother."  Onew asked.  Hae shook her head, "Kinda.  Except he has often been Jae's only friend.  By the way that they act, sometimes, it's easier to think he's the twin rather than me.  Hyung is like Jae's everything."  Hae started to leave the table, and was followed by the entire group.

 

They walked into the science lab, where Jae was still working on her project.  Her hands were shaking and Key grabbed the vial from her hand.  He pointed to her notepad, "Write your notes and answers, we'll handle this half.  Jae glared at him, but did as he said.  Jonghyun frowned, "Why do you listen to him and not me?"  Jae glanced up and smirked, before watching what Key was doing.  Hae sat down on a stool next to the desk, "Jae, I'm sorry."  "No need to be."  Jae said, as she scribbled down notes.

 

Hae sighed, wondering how to make Jae feel better, "Jae, do you want to go to that record store after school?"  "Sorry, can't.  Taemin and I are getting coffee after school."  Jae said.  Onew looked up at Taemin, who shrugged, and blushed.  "You seem to hang out with Taemin a lot.  What is that about?" Minho asked, the two had been constantly going home together with the excuse of one thing or another.  Jae raised an eyebrow, "Have you seen the mess that is Taemin's grades?"  The boy pouted, "They aren't that bad, are they?"  Minho took in a deep breath, "If I were to bring home your grades, my parents would bury me in the backyard.  The are already mad that I am down to second in class."  "Sorry."  Jae said, then mumbled something under her breath that only Key heard.  The boy stopped pouring the chemicals into the vial and looked at the girl.  She shrugged up at him and motioned for him continue.

 

Hae puffed out her cheeks, "I want coffee.  Can I come?"  She had looked at Taemin for an answer.  The youngest turned to Jae, silently asking her what to do.  Jae sighed, "Hae, unless you are going to be getting help from me, then no.  I don't need you flirting with the waiters."  Hae sighed, a smile playing at her lips, "Guess we'll have to get coffee another day."  Jae smirked.

 

The group made small talk while Jae and Key finished the experiment, then helped them clean up.  Jae stopped Minho on their way out, "Just checking, but Key did that right, right?"  Minho nodded, "Barely."  He smiled down at the girl, who was starting to relax.  The bell rang and she gave the boy a small wave as she jogged towards her locker.

 

In English, she sat down and smiled at Jun.  Key was sitting on her desk and raised an eyebrow.  Jae rolled her eyes, "I know, what would my mother do if she found out I was on good terms with another boy?"  Key shrugged, "I was more wondering what would Hae say?"  "Jae. Are you finally hitting that stage!  Remeber to use a rubber!"  Jae said, pretending to be her sister.  Jun snorted.  "I don't think she would be like that."  Key said, surpressing a smile.  "You want to bet?  I had a boyfriend once, and the first thing she did was buy condoms... In bulk.  I am currently in possesion of a box of 500 condoms."  The boys both laughed out loud as Mrs. Lee waked in, "Let's get in our seats everyone and start talking in english with your partner."  

 

Jun leaned over, "So, I was telling a friend of mine about you and he said that he knew you."  "Oh really, who would that be?"  Jae asked.  Jun bit his lip, "His name is Tomonari.  He's from here, but just got back from living in Japan for a few years.  I don't remember what his Korean name is."  Jae nodded, "I have no idea who that is."  Jun shrugged, "Tomo said you guys were childhood friends, and that he'd love to see you again."  "Well if I knew who he was, I'd be happy to, but I don't, and there are just some people that I don't want to see."  Jun nodded, "I'll relay the message."

 

At the end of the day Taemin and Jae walked out of the school, chatting about much of nothing.  Onew caught up with them and Taemin gave him a questionong look, "What do you need?"  Onew shrugged, "Nothing, I was just wondering if Jae was your new dance partner and if I could come watch."  Taemin's eyes grew in size and he looked over to Jae who shrugged, "I don't care if you watch, just don't say anything to Hae about it."  Onew nodded and Taemin stopped, "Woah! How did you know about Jae being my dance partner?  And why are you okay with this Jae?"  Jae turned to the boy, "His little sister goes to the studio I teach at."

 

When they got to the studio and ready, Eunhyuk was waiting for them in front of the door.  "Jinki, it's nice to see you again.  I was wondering why none of Taemin's friends have come by yet.  Oh, we're using a different room today."  He lead them down a few different halls before stopping in front of a door and looking back at the group, "I have figured out the dance, but you guys are going to have to work extra hard if you want it to look right.  Especially you, Taemin, I think you may have to work out some."  Taemin frowned but nodded.  Eunhyuk opened the door to a room full of poles.  The boys looked confused, but Jae just laughed, "I shouldn't have told you I can do that."  She walked in stretching and loosening up.  

 

Eunhyuk nodded, "Probably not, but tell me, what all can you do?"  Jae smirked and took a hold of one of the metal poles, "Most anything.  I've been told I'm one of the best in the country."  Eunhyuk's eyes widened, "Why didn't you tell me that before I planned stuff."  The girl shook her head as she climbed up the and sat with your legs crossed towards the top of the pole.  She looked down at the boys, "Are you guys coming up here or what?"  Taemin shook his head, "How the hell?"  Jae shrugged and flipped down into an inverted crucifix and slid down the pole face first.  Onew caught his breath and rushed forward.  She stopped sliding and stuck her hands on the hard wood, letting her feet down to the ground.

 

Onew let out the breath that he'd been holding, "Can you not?"  Jae giggled, "Sorry.  I forget that normal people aren't used to that."  Eunhyuk looked over Jae and realized the thick bandage around her wrist, "Taemin, we have a special instructor coming in to work with you, why don't you warm up.  Onew could you help him, I need to talk with Jae out in the hall about what all she can and can't do."  

 

The boys nodded and Jae followed Eunhyuk into the hall.  He carefully looked around to make sure no one was in ear shot before speaking quietly, "Jae, is there something you need to tell me?"  He pointed to her wrist.  Jae glanced down at them, then smiled up at her instructor, "I had a run in with some broken glass the other day.  No big deal."  Eunhyuk tilted his head, "I don't believe you, but I'm also not going to force you to tell me what is wrong.  But, when you feel like you need to talk, I'm always here and willing to help."  Jae nodded, "Thanks, but just letting me dance is already a big help."  The instructor hugged her and whispered, "That means no more of cutting.  I don't want to see you get hurt because something was accidently bumped up against them.  Especially when you're on the pole.  I'll let it slide this time, but the next time I see bandages, you're doing whatever workout from hell I can think of."  Jae laughed lightly, "Alright.  Promise."

 

When they walked back into the studio. Taemin's instructor was there and Taemin was struggling to climb up the pole.  Jae walked over and took the pole next to the boy, "Taemin, what you want is to get as much skin on the pole as possible.  You kind of hook your ankle around the pole like this and then pull yourself as close to the pole as possible when you go up."  She demonstrated and then hopped down to help Taemin do it.  His instructor laughed, "Well it doesn't even look like you need me Eunhyuk.  She's got it."