Lunch Date?

Monster

 

Amber POV

                She asked to have lunch with me! Of course I jumped at the chance to spend time with her and get to know her better. I don’t know why she asked me over everyone else.

                “So what do you want for lunch?” I asked looking over at her.

                 “Whatever you want.” She said walking closer to me. I blushed. Even though I like girls I never found one that I liked enough to ask out let alone date.

                “L-lets go get ddukbokki?” I asked blurting out the first food item that popped up in mind. She nodded and smiled at me. This was the first time I saw her smile I loved the way she looked. I ordered and paid for the food even though Krystal insisted on paying. She pouted and made me promise she could pay next time. I smiled at the thought of a next time. We walked and ate our ddukbokki.

                “So why did you move to Korea?” I asked breaking the silence.

                “My dad needed to move here for business. He works really late and leaves early before I wake up so I hardly see him.” She said looking sad at her food.

Krystal POV

                I had already planned for this. I said the story I had prepared and looked down. I hated lying to her the truth is I never had a family to complain about. I have friends who are like siblings to me but I never had anyone to look up to. I had no one to protect me. I learned to protect myself and the people closest to me. I don’t even know what love is. Not the romantic love everyone talks about but loving another person, caring about them. The only thing I can think of that comes close to that is I would die for my friends and protect them no matter what. I looked up and saw Amber’s worried face.

                “Don’t worry. It was like this back in L.A. too. It’s nothing new.” I said as a smile appeared on her face.

                “You’re from L.A. too?” she said in English.

                “Yeah. When did you move here?” I said knowing the answer.

                “A year ago. Hey thanks.” She said as she looked back at me.

                “Thanks for what?” I asked. She puzzled me. Most humans were easy to read. They were like open books but she was a mystery to me.

                “For talking to me. Even though I have been here for a year I don’t have many friends.”

                “Really? I figured you would be popular with tons of friends.”

                “Naw, I only have a couple, but it’s ok. I’d rather have a few real friends than a bunch of fake ones.” Amber opened the door to the school as we entered.

                “Do you have any siblings?” I said thinking of Jessica-unnie back home.

                “Yeah, I have an older brother, you have any siblings?”

                “I have an older sister but she still lives in the US in San Francisco actually.” We walked to our lockers. Jessica isn’t my actual sister but she has always looked out for me and is the closest thing to family I have. Even though we use to fight she always made sure I was ok. Jessica is a guardian too and she and her human live in San Francisco. As we got to our lockers that same group of boys walked up to us.

                “So you can hang out with Liu but I can’t walk you to class?” the tall one said approaching me again.

                “Pretty much.” I said opening my locker.

Amber POV

                What? Why are Minho, Key and Taemin standing in front of Krystal’s locker?

                “So you can hang out with Amber but I can’t walk you to class? Minho said walking up to Krystal. He asked to walk Krystal to class and she turned him down? He was one of the most popular guys in school the only other person who has ever turned him down before was me. He thought it would be cool to date the new girl but as soon as I was allowed to wear pants he hasn’t talked to me since.

                “Pretty much.” Krystal said as she opened her locker. She asked me to lunch when she could have gone out with Minho? It felt good for some reason knowing she picked me. I saw Minho move towards Krystal and Taemin moved behind Minho.  

                “Back off Minho.” I said stepping in front of Krystal, separating them.

                “Oh is she your girl now Liu?” Minho said. Was she my girl? Key grabbed his shoulder.

                “Stop Minho.” Key said. Key and I are kind of friends. We have hung out a couple times but he got busy with school and we haven’t hung out recently. Key pulled Minho away and the boys left. I turned to Krystal.

                “Are you ok?” I asked putting my hand on her arm.

                “Yeah I’m ok.” She shrugged. “Thanks.”

                “Thanks for what?”

                “For sticking up for me. I have never had anyone who would do anything like that for me.” She said smiling at me. My heart started to beat a little faster. Do I like her? I know I like girls but I just met her. She is really cute though.

                “Anytime, let’s go to class ok?” I held her hand as we walked to class.