13

Love Conquers All

From the corner of his eyes, he watch secretly as the young wife played with the kids happily. Her loud alligator laughed echoing every part of the house. He was leaning against one of the wall. His face was emotionless but anyone could see it but no one can understand what he's currently feeling right now. He was alone in the orphanage house with Yoona along with the kids.

"Jongin-ah!" She called him, waving her hands for him to come to her and he did.

Slowly, he walk up to her. She was carrying a young child in her arms. The little girl was laughing out loud as Yoona's fingers begin to tickle her stomach. She meet his eyes and she smile, as usual.

"Mianhae, Jongin but can you go to the back of the forest. There's a river in that forest. We are currently shortage of water and the river is the best way.... I need to look after the kids since Umma is gone. So can you? I promise I double your pay!"

Her expression turns sorry at first before shy then beaming in happiness. Kai watch and he smile to her.

"It's fine.... you don't have to double my pay, I'm content with my current salary. Where is the pails then?"

Yoona places the little girl down and her doe eyes twinkle in happiness, it look as if she's going to cry any moment but it's just happiness. She clasped Kai hands together and give a firm shake with determine look.

"Thank you, Jongin. You're really a life saver... If you weren't too young and I weren't married, I would date you!" She speak in serious mode. Kai literally blushes as Yoona say those last sentence but also he felt slightly down and hurt. Too young....

"The pails are at the kitchen. Just grab as many as you can. Thank you, Jongin..."

Kai could only forces a smile before walking away. His leg drag itself to the kitchen and grab two pails first. There were around 10. He walk to the back of the house and in the forest mouth. He had heard of this forest before but Kai paid no attention to it. Rumors goes around that there's this young beautiful lady that was buried at there. Kai never believes in rumors, to him it was just nonsense.

 

 

 

 

"Jongin-ah!"

His head turn to see the person who called him. It was Yoona, suprisingly.

"Why is she here?" He mutter to himself.

Kai had filled all 10 pails and was resting for a while. It was tiring especially with the water flows. He had slip and fall and he's all wet. His shirt was on the huge rock, trying to let it dry. Yoona run to him and there was a towel as if she predict that he would fall in the river. He grab it and began to cover himself.

"Stupid!" She scold him for the first time. But Kai paid no heed. He know that she wasn't really angry with him.

"You should have abandon the pails and went back to grab a towel. What if you got sick? SMU don't tolerate students getting sick." Yoona continue to nag.

"This is nothing.... Why are you here, Noona?"

"To check on you. You've been gone for too long and I thought something bad happen to you so I came. Umma had return from gorgeceries shopping and I came here..."

Yoona took a seat beside Kai. They stare to at the water in silence.

"Where is your husband, Noona?"

It was a whisper, more like Kai was talking to himself but actually he was asking Yoona. Yoona clasped her hands together and stare at her worn-out sneakers. Kai eyes stare at her every movement.

"Why do you want to know?" She asked.

"I was just curious. You say you are married but I don't see your husband..."

"He's in war right now."

"War? There's no war in this country?"

"Not in this country... He's in... in..." Yoona hesitate to speak.

Her head hung very low almost touching her knees when she stop. Kai watch as Yoona immediately stand up from her seat and walk back home, leaving Kai alone. He followed her through his eyes and saw her wipe her tears and he was curious.

 

 

 

 

"You just touch a sensitive topic in her life, did you know that?"

His head turn to face the owner of the voice. It was a young beautiful lady. She was comfortably sitting on the branch of a tree. She smile at him and Kai turns pokerface as usual. He didn't answer her and as a matter of fact, he ignore her but she didn't.

"Yoona is married at a very young age but sadly her husband was sent to defend the country pride in a war. Do you want to know something else?" She continue to speak from the branch.

Kai was curious but he ignore it. Brushing the thoughts away. He wanted to leave this place now, seeing her giving him the creeps. He knows who she is. He knows.... The lady that was buried in the forest... that's her soul or ghost that was talking with him.

"A day after her wedding, no, actually the night of their wedding, a letter came and the groom was called to defend the country. He left immediately, promising Yoona that he will return. She hold onto that words, that faithful words but everyone knows that it's impossible since our country lost! Everyone dies in that battle.... even her husband too."

Kai stop walking. That's means Yoona is a widow, a young widow. But why did she insists that she's married? That she's....

"To Yoona and especially her in-laws family, as long as the body never been found, Yoona's husband is still alive and she's still married. She wasn't allowed to move on, not by her father-in-law. Tell you something, go to the train station at night around 9pm and you will see Yoona waiting for her husband, she does that every night. An hour later, she will left, crying."

Kai ignore her and continue to walk ahead. He grab the pails and return each time till it's time for him to return back to his dormitory.

 

 

 

 

It was 9pm and Kai was hiding behind a huge wall. He was curious by the lady words and decided to check it himself. With the help of Taemin that he threaten, Kai manage to sneak out. Tao was nowhere to be found and because of Taemin carelessness, Kai almost get caught. Kai really wish Tao was there to help him instead of Taemin. As he reach the train station, it was 15 minutes till 9pm. He saw Yoona walking towards the opposite side of the track with her smiles.

As 9pm reached, she patiently waited as the train stop and she watch to see if her husband was there but no one was there. Kai watch as an hour pass and nothing. He saw her clench the hem of her shirt before her tears flowing. She was holding onto her necklace, he squinted his eyes to see a silver ring in the necklace. He assume it was their wedding ring. She sob out loud before waiting for another half an hour before leaving.

"So, it is true. Her husband is dead.... Jongin-ah, there's still a chance, Jongin.... There is still...."