chapter 19

Bambino Viziato (spoiled brat)

He woke up pretty early that morning, but since he slept well enough he decided to get out of bed before falling asleep again. I don't want my day to start in a lazy way, let's get up. He washed his face quickly and he was about to go in the shower when he realized that maybe going to run a bit in his garden wasn't a bad thing. He didn't have time to do any kind of exercise lately and he wanted to keep his body fit and healthy. He smiled in the mirror thinking that somewhere in Seoul there was another man that was getting up to do some exercise, the man he loved. He giggled like an idiot once again and run back to his room to find a pair of cozy pants and a sweater for his jogging.

He breathed the fresh air of the morning the moment he stepped into his garden. It was strange how a city that big could still smell somehow fresher in the morning; the sky wasn't yet completely clear and the street was still silent, he jumped twice on the doorstep then he started to run, towards the swimming pool. He passed by his mother's flowers, being careful not to step on them, then near the big trees they had in the garden, to finally reach the pool. It was nice and clean, but it was already getting too cold to swim, so he looked at it and pouted, maybe next summer. After running twice around the pool he decided to go around the house, but once he passed the small patio on the side he stopped surprised "dad, what are you doing here?" he said with a short breath. The man was sitting there near a table with a big cup of hot tea, his tablet in one hand, his glasses in the other; he looked up at him with surprise.

"I'm just reading some news…why are you here? Isn't it too early for you?" his father asked in response. It was strange indeed because it was probably merely six in the morning, but he was feeling good like that, at least once in a while he could even be healthy.

"I woke up and decided to exercise a bit…I'm not used to it so I'm already tired" he explained then he laughed a bit.

"Sit down with me then, if you go inside there is another cup on my desk" the man said surprising him, it was the first time he asked him such a thing, but since he didn't know what to do he found himself already inside the office. The patio was directly linked to it by a big glass door, it was like his own private veranda, even if when he was a kid he remembered that they often had breakfast there during warm seasons. He looked around the office, it looked different entering from a side, it wasn't as scary as coming in from the main door, because every time he had to enter that room there was a cold atmosphere and his father, sitting behind the desk, was usually angry with him, always ready to scold him.

This time instead it looked just like a dark room, a small one without many objects; it looked like a sad place actually, and the desk now didn't seem that big, just like that chair…he realized that standing there, on a side, closer to his father usual position didn't make him feel so small and pitiful as always. He frowned and touched the back of the leather chair, it was a bit ruined by time, it was his father's favorite chair and he never changed it, it was old but he was able to keep it in a good condition. He found himself being a bit sad, maybe if he tried to stay there, to stand next to him instead of being always in front of him, trying to confront him, they wouldn't have ended like that. They grew apart and it was so cold between them now that he could imagine himself only sitting on the chair in front of the desk, the one that made him feel so small and helpless.

"What are you doing? Did you fall asleep?" he heard his father's voice from the patio, and he suddenly remembered that it wasn't a dream and that he was acting weird. He grabbed the cup and went out.

"I dozed off sorry"  he said sitting down on the other chair. He reached out to grab the pot and resting his arm lightly on the other hand he poured some more tea to his father before pouring some for himself. It was a must, giving it to the elder first, even if he didn't have the chance to do it lately. He bowed for a second and took a sip of tea, ah such a nice feeling, that warm liquid that early in the morning, with his garden around, and fresh air caressing his face. They didn't talk for a bit, his father kept reading something on his tablet, while he kept looking around lost in his thoughts.

"So, have you decided something for the party?" his father asked suddenly, placing the pad on the table and switching it off. He was looking at him, for the first time his all attention was aimed at him, not at some newspaper or computer screen. He gulped and had to put down the mug before making it fall.

"I….I thought of letting our cooks prepare the food but I intend to call a catering group for serving because I'd like the staff to participate. They worked hard these days even without having guests and some of them even came when they weren't needed to help…so I want them to be part of the party just like us. At this point, I need to know who you intend to invite to decide the menu. About the practical part…I need to go order the decorations and the cards for the invitations, I think I'll do it one of these days" he explained, hoping it was the right choice. He almost wanted to close his eyes and cross his fingers, but he would have looked too weird so he just imagined doing it, waiting for his father's opinion.

"Uhm…it's your staff, if you felt like that I assume you thought well about it, just tell them to dress in an adequate way, not necessarily classy but at least not too shabby because they are part of the image of the hotel" his father started, his voice was calm, just like his eyes, he looked a bit tired, maybe he didn't sleep well, that's why he is here so early…I didn't realize it, is he ill or something?

"Yes, at first I thought to make them wear the uniforms, but I don't want some guest to ask them for services they aren't supposed to do…"

"Well, well… Anyway, be prepared, I'm going to call for a press conference this week, maybe in four or five days, so that we'll announce the opening and the party and we'll tell them you'll be the director" his father added closing his eyes and then resting his back on the chair, before opening them again to look far away in front of him "the grass grew so well this year…maybe it's because it didn't rain too much during august" he added out of the blue. Fine he doesn't want to talk about work anymore.

"Dad are you feeling well? You look tired" he asked after a bit of thinking, he didn't know if it was a good idea but after all, he wanted at least to try. The man sighed and nodded, still not looking at him.

"I am just a bit tired because yesterday I worked till late and as I'm getting old I sleep every day less, so it shows on my face. Ahah time is taking away even sleep hours from me" but the laughter was bitter, it sounded more like he wanted to say a bunch of other things instead of just that.

"I see" he muttered in response, he didn't know what to say so they ended up being silent again, this time both of them were looking at the garden. He wondered if his father remembered how he used to play with his toys there on the grass when he was a kid; his parents usually sat there with his sister, chatting or just watching him play. He wondered if he missed those times too. The man chuckled softly. Hyukjae got surprised and turned around to look at him.

"That spot still isn't growing well…after so much time" he said finally pointing at the ground "You kept playing there with those cars making your mother crazy" the man's eyes were softer than usual, and he was smiling, probably without realizing it. He remembers…he gaped, it was strange how their thoughts were linked like that, how was it even possible?

"Da…" but he wasn't able to say anything because at that moment his mother opened the glass door behind them.

"Here you are, I was looking for you" the woman said placing her hands on both shoulders and bending down to kiss Hyukjae's temple before kissing her husband's cheek too. Warmth. "What were my favorite men doing?" she asked, moving the third chair and sitting between them.

"Nothing much actually just enjoining the morning air" his father said. His mother turned around to look at him surprised, he nodded and smiled at her, as to say it was true. She was probably surprised to see them sitting that close, not arguing apparently at least, being just close.

"Ahh…I see, today seems such a nice day. You both woke up so early…making me into the bad one for oversleeping" she said then she giggled softly. All the family there, only his sister missing, it was nice, awkward maybe, but surely nice "What do you want for breakfast?" she asked.

"I don't know I want something sweet today" Hyukjae said, shrugging, everything was fine actually.

"I'll just eat some bread, I slept badly last night honey so I prefer to stay light" the man answered instead. See I knew he wasn't feeling good, but he only said he was tired.

"Fine, I'll tell the cook…ah Hyukjae I was thinking, for the party you'll need to go order the decorations right?" he nodded "then why don't you go there with Donghae? It's a good thing to let people see you again doing something with your friend, just to keep your new image, I heard he is doing well lately so people want to see more of him for sure" the moment that name was pronounced his heart skipped a beat. Ah Donghae, he missed him already and hearing his mother organizing a date for him was so nice. He had an excuse to ask him out, and if that was the case he could have even left work for a few hours because his mother was going to be happy for sure. Thanks mom, I just needed a good reason to see him this week.

"That's a nice idea, plus I can use his help choosing the things too" he replied smiling happily, he couldn't hide it, it was too hard, he loved him, so his mouth moved naturally and it was impossible to control his smiles. His mother giggled again.

"Well then, go to shower now then come down for breakfast, it's getting late" she said finally, she probably wanted to comment on his behavior but decided not to. He nodded and stood up.

"I'll go then, see you later" he said going inside again, walking through the office instead of going around the house to enter from the front door. He was about to exit the room when he looked back at the patio. His parents were there sitting next to each other, their shoulders were touching so probably they were holding hands and his mother's head was resting on his father's shoulder. They looked so much in love, such a cute old couple if watched from behind, they were getting old but their love wasn't. He found that cute, they argued about many things during their married life, they discussed, then stopped to talk for an hour or two, to make peace with each other immediately after. If there was one thing he was sure about in his entire life was their love, he always knew that at least. That was probably the reason why he didn't even feel like he didn't have a family, he knew he had one, the problem was him not being able to fit in it. He realized too late that being bratty wasn't the right way to make them notice him, to make them care, they always cared, the problem was their way of communication that .

He sighed and smiled, then he finally left the room.

~

He arrived in his office happy that morning, he liked what happened at home, he felt closer to that man for a bit and instead of hating it, he enjoyed it so much, feeling like there was still hope for them. He sighed admitting it, he never really wanted to win over him, he only wanted him to love him again; it was a bit too much for his pride to take, but he needed to put his head on working again because he had no time for pride. So…let's call Donghae. He thought then giggled and dialed his number.

"Hi Hae, are you busy?" he asked first, not wanting to bother him. The guy on the other side laughed.

"No I'm free now…ask me…come on" he said. Hyukjae shook his head in confusion, what was he talking about?

"What?" he asked.

"My mom called me five minutes ago to tell me I have an appointment with you so to find a way to be free for half a day. What is it about Hyuk?" the guy asked still giggling. Damn mom, you are so fast, asking his mother…you are smart.

"Nothing much…ahaha I guess my mother already arranged it for me. I have to go buy decorations for the upcoming opening party, and she thought that letting reporters and people see us again would be a good thing for our image, to show that we are still friends since now your affairs are going better. Don't ask me why…but I agreed immediately" he explained. He was too happy to hear him, he didn't care of reporters, nor of their image, only to see him.

"Then I guess I have to agree, if she thinks this will make us look better ahahah so when? I need to free my agenda" Donghae replied, his voice softer than before, was he anticipating it too? Ah it's going to be fun but at the same time, I won't be able to be with you the way I want.

"Tomorrow? Or the day after…but maybe it's better to do it sooner…I've already thought of what I need and it's better to give people a chance to prepare it"

"Tomorrow will be better, because I have an important meeting the day after and I really don't want to postpone it and then be seen while I go shopping" the guy laughed again, his voice making Hyukjae's heart pound. Just a small thing like that was able to make him all happy.

"Perfect then…I'll come to pick you up in the morning, so we can also eat lunch together, ok?" he asked, he wanted to spend time with him, the more the better, doing it after lunch was probably longer but he was sure he couldn't keep Donghae from working for too many hours because he had been very busy lately.

"Ok for me. Wow picking me up? So it's a date? Ahahah…see you tomorrow then, be a good boy till then" yeah a date, I wish…

"I will, you too…bye" already ended? I wanted to hear your voice more, oh well tomorrow I'll be sure to make you talk a lot then.

The day kept going on well, he organized his thoughts and even received a mail from his dad with the number of guests he wanted and some important names. Then he called the two chefs in his office and discussed with them the amount of food they thought was needed for those people since they were the ones that needed to make the orders. He preferred that he was the director but being stubborn and wanting to control everything was useless, because only people that knew food well could know when to order something, and how much. It was pointless for him to want for example strawberries when it wasn't the time, of course, they could have ordered them from another country but the quality of the food wasn't always going to be on top, and they only used top quality food.

They decided the menu too, he was there to ask and to give advice on what he usually ate at parties like that. For example everybody every time prepared canapés, those little ones made of crackers with random sauces on them. He hated them so much he could explode, they were cheap, tasteless, and most of the time, halfway through the party they were all flabby. Still, the chefs insisted that those tiny crackers were a must at a party, the only way out was to make things that looked like that but were actually something else "…that because people eat things with eyes first, then with their mouths, if you take the canapés out people will eventually say that the party was ok but they didn't even have canapés. And we don't want that right?" one of the chefs said to him. And he was right, everything needed to be the closest to perfect.

"Yes you are right, then I'll trust you on this matter, I'll just want to taste everything beforehand because I'm a picky eater, and this is still my party" he said smiling, or better grinning to them, but he knew he wasn't going to make it hard for them, because they worked hard and they were really top chefs, he didn't have to worry.

After the meeting with them, he made sure that the other preparations at the hotel were going fine and he worked even harder reminding himself that the he was going to be out all the following morning.

I like working here, it makes me feel so smart and capable, and people are always nice and cooperative, I'll make them enjoy the party too.

~

"Hey lazy come on, we don't have all the morning to waste here" he said to Donghae on the phone once he arrive in front of his house, he could have just sent him a message but he found that, that way it was more fun. Almost immediately the other opened the door and crossed his arms resting his body on the door frame.

"I mean…really?" he said sarcastically.

"COME ON!" he screamed from inside the car, then he giggled, he was so lovely with that expression and even more once he smiled at him and walked towards the car to jump in.

"Hi" Donghae said smiling once he was sitting.

"Hi" he whispered, he didn't like the fact they couldn't be closer when seeing each other like that. He pouted. The guy noticed his expression and reached out to caress his thigh, smiling at him again. He knew that such a small gesture couldn't have been seen from outside the car, so at least that…he could at least touch him a bit. He looked at his friend's face and found his smile again, then he reached out his own hand to change the gear,  looking in the rearview mirror, just to act as normal as possible. When they finally took off he drove for a bit before reaching out to grab that hand in his, tangling their fingers together "how have you been?" he asked softly.

"Fine…you?" Donghae replied squeezing his hand a bit. Yeah, that was definitely a better way to greet each other. At least touching him his heart felt more at ease.

"Good, and now even better" he replied smiling to himself.

"So…where are we going?" the guy asked still holding his hand, switching to his thigh for a while every time Hyukjae needed to use both hands.

"You'll see…but don't think it's going to be fun we have to work!" he replied grinning at the guy beside him, then he just focused on the street, not being sure if he wanted to arrive soon or just stay in the car holding his hand for a longer time.

~

"We'll go buy the fabric for the chairs" he said once the stepped inside the mall. It was a big mall with many different kinds of shops, he already knew where he was going so he started to walk first and Donghae followed his lead.

"Chairs? I don't get it…" the guy asked surprised trying to keep up with his walk, Hyukjae usually walked quite fast when he was thinking and at that moment he was trying to remember how many things he needed on the first floor before going to the second.

"You know to make them look better I want to dress the chairs, then put a ribbon to decorate them" he explained, the guy nodded and smiled, he understood it now.

"So what colors were you thinking about? For the whole room I  mean" Donghae asked when they were about to enter the first shop.

"I was thinking of white, purple and golden" he started "or maybe a cream color is better…I don't know, anyway the brighter colors are for decorations while I want the room to be mainly clear, to match with the flooring" he added to be more specific. "here we are, let's go inside"

"Good morning " the woman say once they entered, it was a shop of only fabrics and a few other things and it looked so colorful.

"Good morning" he said giving her his card " I'm here because I need some chair covers, can you make them for me?" he asked. The woman nodded and showed him the catalog, asking him to see if any kind of fabric caught his eye. He found the color he had in mind but he wasn't sure it was ok "this one is the color, but I want it a bit more smooth and delicate" he said, then he looked at Donghae and the guy nodded too after touching it. Using that chance to brush lightly his fingers on his hand, he did it imperceptibly, and only they noticed it, but still, it felt nice.

"See if this is ok, I don't have the exact same color in this fabric" the woman said opening another page.

"This is way better" Donghae said touching the small sample and smiling, it was better indeed, it had a nice decoration embossed on it and it felt nice to touch, yet it was a strong fabric.

"I like this, it's ok! Do you think you can make 300 of them for me for next week?" he asked.

"uhm 300 is a lot, but we can try do you have a picture of the chair kind?" the woman asked. He nodded and showed her the picture on the tablet "ok then it's a 50cm chair…so we'll need to double the length and make a larger part for the seat…if you order it I'll send someone to the location to try on one of the samples and then send you the estimation" the woman added biting on her pen, probably calculating something in her head.

"That's perfect, do you have another sample of this fabric? I need it to match with other things" he asked and immediately the woman looked for it under the counter and gave him a small square of fabric, smiling. "Thank you, and I'll wait for your call then" he said reaching out. The woman shook his hand and bowed.

The first task was done, they went out of the shop.

"Didn't you say you wanted ribbons too? She had them there…"

"Oh cute Donghae…I have a better place for ribbons, those there were cheap…" he replied smiling, and started to walk again "it's still on this floor tho" he added sadly.

"Why are you sad?" the other asked surprised.

"Ah…nothing much…uh look a reporter…act natural or you'll end up looking weird on the pic" he said smiling and walking casually as if he didn't see the man with the huge camera on the corner of the hallway.

They reached another shop, and in that one they only had ribbons basically, in every shape and fabric "good morning" he said "can we look around?" he asked the woman behind the counter.

"Yes sure, please go ahead" she replied showing them the way to the display racks.

They looked around a bit before finding the right corridor, since they wanted something without a plastic feel to it, and it was already hard to find something made with cotton. They walked towards what looked like the right color and Hyukjae reached out to touch one of the millions of threads "this looks nice" he said touching one with a fine lilac color.

"I think this one is better" the other replied getting closer to him and slightly touching his back with his chest. Ah so warm "it's a bit larger but the color is similar and the feeling is better, touch it" he smiled, he liked having him that close, and he knew he did it deliberately to touch him, at least a bit. He touched the other ribbon and found that it was actually better. Then Donghae reached out his other hand to grab another one on the other side "look at this, is not golden as you wanted it but this lime green goes perfectly with this light purple…" he said bringing the two ends together in front of Hyukjae's face, almost embracing him. Yeah he is definitely doing it on purpose, silly Hae, but he is right.

"True, these two colors are better and they fit with this" he said taking the sample from before out of his pocket and comparing it with the other two pieces of fabric in front of him.

"Look, this one is even better" Donghae said pointing to a rack that was slightly higher than the others.

"Right…can you reach it? I can't" Hyukjae replied reaching out his hand and not being able to touch it. Donghae chuckled and placed a hand on his waist, not failing to make his heart skip a beat, he stood on tiptoe and grabbed the strip of fabric down to his eyes. Oh god did he even need to touch me there? He blushed a bit then he grabbed it and looked at the three colors together.

"We have it!" he said happily. And at that moment the woman arrived. Damn I was enjoining this secret touching session.

"Have you found what you were looking for?" the woman asked, he nodded and she wrote the codes on a piece of paper. He explained her what he needed and asked her to make it in a week. Of course, it wasn't easy, but since he had explained her that he had specifically chosen that shop because he knew that it was the best, she promised she was going to do it in time.

 "Can you please give me the RGB codes of both colors?" he asked, he needed them, but he didn't want to explain her why. He was lucky because the woman looked for them on her computer without asking further. They then arranged an appointment to decide on the payments and he finally got out of there.

"Wow, you look so professional ahaha" Donghae said walking by him.

"Oh yeah, because I am, not like you that like to play even while I'm working…" he said raising his eyebrow.

"Oh well I was just helping…plus you totally liked my help…" the other replied poking out his tongue briefly. He shrugged and walked away so that Donghae had to run a bit to catch up. He still needed cards for invitations and the vases for decorations, he smiled, they both were on the second floor.

"Let's go, the next shops are on the other floor" he said almost jumping towards the elevator. Once they were inside he smirked and passed in front of Donghae to push the button. They were alone inside the narrow moving room and he looked at him "you know why I like this place?" he said caressing his chest to reach his neck sensually "they don't have cameras in the elevators" he said quickly before kissing him passionately, right there and then, his tongue a bit before stopping and trying to find his composure again. Donghae was surprised, his blush grew from his cheeks to his ears. "and it's a bit slower than usual" he added smiling mischievously at him.

"Damn Hyukjae" the other said in a breath. The kiss surprised him for sure, but he couldn't react because the doors opened almost immediately after he said that. Hyukjae grinned and went out quickly.

"Come on the stationery is a bit far" he said looking back at him, smiling, his hands in his pockets.

"You…wait for me" the other said trying to catch up. He couldn't say more because people were staring at them.

"Are you ok? You look a bit frustrated… do you need to use the bathroom?" he said mocking him, still smiling.

"Ah-ah…no thanks" the other replied walking past him. Acting as if he was really angry with him. Yeah sure, let me believe this.

"Or maybe we could go in together" he said moving closer to him and whispering in his ear.

"Oh trust me that would be such a bad idea because I don't know if I would let you walk out straight… using your own legs" Donghae hissed.

Oh I love when you make such promises...ehm I mean threats. I'm only sad I can't go in with you now because reporters are around…damn I wish I could just walk casually holding your hand.

~

They went to order both the cards for invitations and the vases, being sure to choose the right ones for the tables of the press and for the buffet tables. He chose two big vases for the main hall and the reception counter. Donghae was actually of great help, not only because he made him happy just by breathing,  but also because he had good taste and was giving him nice advice.

The best part was probably when they had to go out of the mall, using the elevator again, that time the other was the one kissing him, kissing in such a passionate way that he didn't feel his legs anymore, and he had to blink twice before being able to see clearly again and walk out following his friend.

Ah Donghae I'll be sure not to provoke you next time, I thought my heart was going to stop.

~

---

doodles from this chapter

1 2