The Crashing Wall

When Snow White Fell on your Doorstep

Popular family background, a loving family, fat bank account…she could not ask for more.  Everyone thinks that she lives in a real life fairytale whose happy ever after is already written for the future, not open for any alteration.  She grew up under the loving arms of her mother ‘til she reaches seven years old.  But unfortunate things happened, taking her mother away from her.

“T-take care J-jieun.  O-omma loves you.”

Painful memories that haunts her every now and then.  Blood of her own mother was shimmering on Jieun’s clothes as well as the tiled floor of her parents’ luxurious bathroom.  Her young mind cannot understand a thing, except that the blood draining on the floor means losing someone.  And she was so scared.

“Here…”  A comforting voice behind her startled her.  She turned around and was greeted by a bunch of sunflowers.  Its her new brother, Sanghyun who is smiling at her like nothing is wrong.

“You have to be strong or else, painful memories will be haunting you like a usual nightmare.  Be strong and stop sulking.  Living on this side of the world is one of the greatest thing ever rather than wondering if its more wonderful on the afterlife without the pain and heartaches.”  He always reminded her.

Trust was built.  She learned to smile again since her father is still clinging on her.  She learned to be the perfect daughter they’ll be proud of.  Living with her father’s new wife and Sanghyun is not so easy but she managed to be fine.  Up until now…

“Die Jieun…Die.”

*****

Sungjong comes in holding a tray of food.  He showcases his most adorable smile and approaches the bed.  “Noona, I brought you food since I know you are hungry already.  I am sorry for the late breakfast, I really don’t know how to cook but L hyung is so lazy to help me so I have to prepare your breakfast alone.  And sorry for scaring you a while ago.  You know..I was just so scared that you’re gone.”  The maknae keeps on blabbering while preparing the food in front of her.

Jieun looks at him with her expressionless eyes from Sungjong to the food.  Sungjong notices it and pats her head, making her flinches a bit.

“Please don’t be scared Noona.  We’re not bad people.”  He said and started telling Jieun how they found her on their yard three days ago, full of bruises and unconscious.

“Y-youre not one of them?”  She said in a faint word, with caution and fear.  Sungjong nodded.

“Of course!  We are the best people you can ever meet in this world.”  He giggles a bit with his thought.  “So please Noona, eat now so you’ll be strong.”  He pushes the bowl of soup in front of her and looks at her with a sincere assurance of not harming here.

Jieun nods with a it of hesitation and gets the spoon with her free hand.  She starts to eats and unconsciously, tears started to form on her eyes once again.

“N-noona…”  Sungjong worriedly whispers, but he dares not to say it so loud and let her cry while eating,  His smile fade on air but he tries hard not to cry too.  He can feel it.  That pain she feels, but he can’t give definition to that pain.

*****

Out of curiosity, he stands there quietly outside the door.  He can hear her cry.  He clutches his chest, for he felt something stabbing him.

“Damn.  Did Sungjong made her eat something unpalatable?”  He silently scolded himself from not helping the maknae to cook. 

After a few while, he heard Sungjong’s voice asking her.

“Noona, are you crying because the soup I made is not delicious?”

And for the first time, she laughs.