just isn't normal

Live to Kill

“Who the hell are you?” was the first thing that came out of Sungmin’s mouth as he walked into the boss’s office hand-in-hand with Kyuhyun, expecting to see Leeteuk but instead saw a dowdy, stone-faced man sitting behind his desk.

“Sit down, boys,” he ordered. “I find that a highly inappropriate way to greet your boss, Mr. Lee.”

“My boss?” the blonde asked, flabbergasted as the three of them each took a seat. “Since when did I work for you?”

“Since yesterday.” He stated. “Last night, Leeteuk-ssi had unexpectedly attended his resignation. I, Kim Kwangsoo, a skilled and professional assassin, have been assigned as his replacement.”

“What?” Eunhyuk looked just as confused as his colleagues. “That’s crazy. Why would Leeteuk just quit all of a sudden?”

“I’m afraid that doesn’t concern us, Eunhyuk-ssi.” He sat straight in his seat, hands clasped over his desk and eyes staring down each of them. “I’ve arranged this meeting to have a proper discussion with all of you. This place is going to be a lot different from now on. I am not going to ‘baby’ you, much like my predecessor did. We need to establish some ground rules, and those include coming in on time, carrying out missions unquestionably, and when I give out a mission, it has to be done within twenty-four hours, understand?”

“Twenty-four hours?” Kyuhyun protested. “Do you think it’s easy doing what we do?”

“Yes, if you guys actually know what you’re doing.” He shot back. “And more importantly, I don’t want to see any public displays of affection around here, and yes, I am referring to you two, Mr. Cho and Mr. Lee.”

Kyuhyun awkwardly looked away as he stopped caressing Sungmin’s thigh. “Do you have a problem with me and Sungmin, Mr. Kim?”

“Yes, as a matter of fact, I do.” He confirmed, earning offended looks from the couple. “I don’t want any of my agents failing a mission because they were too busy ing on the job.”

Kyuhyun turned red, partly because the last part made way for some images in his head, but mostly because of his slowly building anger. “I resent the fact that you’re insinuating that—”

“Mr. Cho, let me give you your first mission for the day.” He interrupted. “Go get me some coffee from the lounge. Two sugars and a spoonful of cream.”

“Are you kidding me? I am not your lackey; you cannot just boss me arou—”

“Mr. Cho, have I mentioned that refusal to perform any kind of mission given out by your employer can result in the termination of your job?”

Kyuhyun,” Sungmin tugged on Kyuhyun’s arm and tilted his head towards the door.

Kyuhyun finally succumbed; he his heel and stormed off, leaving his teammates in the hands of their new boss.

“What in ’s name do you think you’re doing?” Sungmin snarled at him. “Kyuhyun is an assassin, not a busboy.”

“I have a piece of information that you two should be informed of.” His expression remained blank, which was frankly starting to scare the crap out of Eunhyuk. “Cho Kyuhyun is a spy.”

Sungmin thought his ears were deceiving him. “Excuse me?”

“You must be mistaken.” Eunhyuk was in so much disbelief that only weak chuckles came out. “Kyu can’t be a spy. I’ve been working with him for years.”

“He’s a member of one of the most dangerous mob families in the country. He took this job posing undercover, with much intention of destroying the whole company, under the mobsters’ orders.” He explained in detail, which made it seem all the more real, making it even scarier for the two assassins. “He’s killed within the company before. He’s waiting to catch you two at your weakest and then murder you in cold blood once he does.”

“Wha—I refuse to believe any of this crap.” Sungmin stood up and raised his voice. “How can we even trust you? How can you even be sure that any of this is true?”

“The company has kept a close eye on Kyuhyun the day he joined the company, and yes, that means Leeteuk-ssi has been suspicious of him the whole time.” He revealed. “The worst has become official as we had one of our men tail him last night, and he was spotted meeting up with the infamous Cho mafia.”

“Last night?” Eunhyuk asked. “Sungmin, wasn’t he with you?”

“No,” Sungmin admitted, thought it was difficult for him to do so. “He left early to go somewhere. But Jesus Christ, hundreds of people are named Cho in this city and they can very well be part of that damned mafia, for all we know!”

“Mr. Lee,” Kwangsoo took out a picture from his folder, which turned out be a blurry one of Kyuhyun sitting and conversing with said mob family.

The worst part of it was that the picture was so blurry that nobody could really be certain of what is was, but Sungmin, dammit, Sungmin recognized the figure immediately.

“This can’t be right,” Sungmin crumpled the paper in his hands and roughly threw it on the floor. “Cho Kyuhyun is not a traitor. He’s a bastard, yes, but a traitor, he’s not.”

“You’re obviously in denial, Mr. Lee.” The fact that he was so calm about the whole matter almost drove Sungmin crazy. “I suggest you get over it soon, as I need that son of a dead by this time tomorrow.”

“Are you asking me to kill Kyuhyun?” he asked, the question coming out as a croak.

“No, I am not asking you,” he said. “I’m ordering you. Either you shoot Kyuhyun dead or both of you will be fired and I will kill the myself.”

Sungmin glanced at Eunhyuk before deciding, “No thanks. We can manage by ourselves.”


“We need to do this more often.” Eunhyuk suggested, grinning.

“Do what?” Sungmin asked with one eyebrow arched up.

“Eat out,” he said as he played with the food on his plate. “The only time the three of us go out is during a mission.”

“Eunhyuk, stop stalling.” Sungmin snapped. “We need to talk about this before Kyuhyun gets back from the bathroom.”

The skinny man sighed. “I just can’t believe it, Sungmin. We’ve been friends for so long that I never would’ve pegged him for a spy.”

“That’s because he’s not.” Sungmin insisted. “Something is wrong here, Eunhyuk.  And I want to find out what it is. I bet our delightful new boss has something to do with it.”

“You know,” Eunhyuk started, too frightened to meet Sungmin’s eyes. “It would explain why Leeteuk left though. He wouldn’t have the heart to kill any of us, so he just quit rather than face the facts that one of his agents is a traitor.”

The blonde blinked at him. “How come you’ve never sounded this smart before?”

“You know what I think we should do? We should do some investigating.” Eunhyuk proposed. “You know, before we do anything drastic.”

“For once, you actually have a decent idea, dip.” Sungmin smirked at him. “Keep it up.”

“Hey,” Kyuhyun showed up, back from the men’s room, and immediately cuddled up to Sungmin. “Did you miss me?”

“Of course not,” he teased. “Were you even gone?”

“Yah,” Kyuhyun pouted as he hit Sungmin’s chest. “You’re mean.”

“And you’re only realizing this now?” he quipped.

Kyuhyun chuckled as he kissed the blonde’s cheek, then his chin, then his neck—and Eunhyuk just sat next to them, disgusted. It was weird how much girlier Kyuhyun has become ever since he and Sungmin officially started dating, which was no less than a week ago. The whole thing has been pretty hard on Eunhyuk, as neither of them were the least bit shy about showing their affection to each other.

He had to sit through numerous make-out sessions, battles of tongues and necking before they got any actual work done. And the whole time, the only thing running through Eunhyuk’s mind was, Jesus, I need to get laid.


That night, Sungmin and Eunhyuk found themselves sitting in the car in the middle of a shady neighborhood, just because they saw Kyuhyun enter one of the buildings. It’s been a while since he came in and both were getting pretty impatient, but Sungmin told himself it was worth it.

“Someone’s coming out.” Eunhyuk said, pointing towards the exit.

Three large men came out; they figured the one in the middle was the mob boss and the two behind him were his henchmen. It was just like a scene out of a mafia movie. Then Kyuhyun came out, looking less than pleased (though he usually looked that way most of the time) as he shook hands with the supposed boss.

“What is he doing?” Sungmin asked, reluctant to believe his own eyes.

When the mobster proceeded to pat Kyuhyun’s head quite affectionately, Sungmin came close to cracking. But instead, he took his phone out of his pocket and called up his boyfriend.

Eunhyuk and Sungmin were still watching him, even as he picked up his phone and answered it. One of the henchmen tried to interfere but Kyuhyun gestured for them to stay put. Apparently, he had just as much power as the head boss.

“Hello?” he answered.

“It’s me,” Sungmin tried to sound calm. “Where are you?”

“Home,” he said, making Sungmin flinch at the obvious lie. “I was just about to go to sleep. Why?”

Sungmin knew there was something wrong because Kyuhyun always spoke to him in honeyed tones on the phone. Now his voice was throaty and aloof, and Sungmin didn’t like it one bit. “Can I come over?”

“Oh, sorry, bunny, you can’t.” Sungmin spotted one of the men grimacing as Kyuhyun called him his ‘bunny’. “I’m really tired and I just want to get right to bed. You understand, don’t you?”

“Yeah,” his tone turned solemn. “I understand completely.”

He hung up, informed Eunhyuk that Kyuhyun had lied to him about his whereabouts and they watched him bid goodbye to the suspicious-looking men. Meanwhile, Sungmin had taken to pressing his forehead against the steering wheel, just completely torn apart.

“I can’t believe it. He is a spy.” Eunhyuk’s mouth was agape. “After all these years, I can’t believe he’s been working behind my back the whole time. I never would’ve suspected—oh, then again, I never did realize he was gay…”

“This isn’t right, Eunhyuk. This just isn’t normal; Kyuhyun being a spy doesn’t seem normal to me.” He continued. “I can read people like a book and I can spot a spy a mile away. Kyuhyun can’t be one.”

“Oh, come on, Min. When have our lives ever been ‘normal’? Nothing about us is normal.” He told him, surprising Sungmin with the seriousness in his tone. “We kill people to make a living; we live to kill and we kill to live. Do you think there’s anything normal about that?”

“I…” he sighed before finishing. “I can’t kill him. I can’t kill Kyuhyun.”

“Then what are we gonna do?” he asked. “Kwangsoo wants him dead by tomorrow or else we’re fired.”

Sungmin looked at him with much thought; he couldn’t believe what was about to come out of his mouth. “You kill him.”

“What?” Eunhyuk’s eyes widened.

“You kill him.” He echoed. “That way we get to keep our job and I won’t have to live with a guilty conscience, knowing I had murdered my boyfriend of one week.”

“You have a conscience?” When Sungmin glared at him, Eunhyuk realized he had missed the point. “Anyway, you can’t be serious about this. Kyuhyun’s my friend too.”

“Well, one of us has to kill him.” He stated. “You do it…please.”

Eunhyuk has always thought Sungmin was incapable of saying please. But he looked into Sungmin’s eyes and he realized how much harder this task was for him. Eunhyuk believed that eyes never lie, and right now he could see how heartbroken he was just by looking at how watery his eyes have become.

“…Alright. I’ll do it.”