speed dial

Live to Kill

It’s been almost a week since Sungmin and Kyuhyun barely got through what may be one of the worst fights they’ve ever had (incidentally over one of the stupidest things ever), which also means it’s almost been a week since Sungmin woke up, dazed and hungover, next to a - Heechul.

Sungmin may kill for a living, but even his conscience managed to creep up on him every now and then. He especially felt terrible for this, though he’s been trying to compensate by pampering Kyuhyun the whole week, much to Heechul’s disdain. Ever since he and Sungmin had slept together, he’s started looking at Sungmin in an entirely different light. He reminded him of Siwon in many ways; they were both bossy and controlling, yet at the same time smooth and actually sort of romantic. He didn’t deny it—he was smitten, and there’s no doubt that he held some bitter feelings for the abrupt way they ended things that night.

Heechul and Sungmin have barely talked since then (not that they talked a lot to begin with), except for the time Sungmin pulled him aside and made him promise not to tell anyone else about what had happened between them. Of course, the blonde was pointing a gun to his head the whole time, but Heechul didn’t need to be told twice anyway. He wasn’t exactly proud of what happened, and he wasn’t exactly sure he wanted to face Kyuhyun’s wrath if word ever got out. Kyuhyun didn’t pose as much of a threat most of a time, but it’s the quiet ones you always have to watch out for the most.

Heechul has always been good at masking his emotions, which is why no one noticed how terribly annoyed he was towards Sungmin and Kyuhyun’s overly public display of affection that morning as Leeteuk gave them their assignment for the week.

“This gun has been passed on to generations in the family. It was passed on to me by my father, who got it from his father, who had gotten it from—”

“Yes, we get the point.” Sungmin interrupted with an eye roll.

“This gun is my prized possession. I kid you not when I say that I hold this very dear and close to my own heart. Not only is this considered a family heirloom, but it’s also a priceless antique, which probably costs millions today. Somehow, word got out that I had it in my possession, and s everywhere are doing whatever they can to take it. This is where you three come in.”

“Do you actually expect us to be at your protect your every waking minute?” Heechul scoffed.

“Yes,” Leeteuk answered simply.

“Oh great, we’ve become bodyguards now.” Sungmin rolled his eyes once again, and so did Heechul, but not because of the ridiculous task Leeteuk was giving them, but because Kyuhyun would not stop Sungmin’s neck.

“Oh shush, Sungmin. You should be flattered; after all, I’m entrusting you with my father’s gun.” Leeteuk revealed, sliding over the sealed wooden box towards Sungmin. “I trust nothing will happen to it while it’s in your protection.”

“Wait a minute, why him and not me?” Heechul protested.

“Well, Heechul, to be brutally honest, Sungmin just happens to be…you know, more competent.” Leeteuk shrugged. “After all, you’re the one who was seeing Siwon behind our backs.”

“Yes, but I also killed him in cold blood, didn’t I?” Heechul pointed out.

“Well, there’s nothing I can do about it now. The gun’s with Sungmin, end of discussion.” He dismissed. “Anyway, you’re free to go. Oh, and before I forget, if God forbid anything would happen to that gun, I swear, I am going to arrange all three of you to be executed. And it won’t be painless either.”

“Ooh, we’re so scared.” Kyuhyun said dryly as the three shuffled out of the conference room.


It was a pretty much typical day for the team; they killed a random passerby out of boredom, ordered fast food at a drive-thru and drove off without paying, swiftly avoiding getting killed by various enemy assassins—in other words, nothing out of the ordinary.

At least until Sungmin got out of the car to use the bathroom in a sleazy bar, leaving Heechul and Kyuhyun inside the car. Kyuhyun turned the stereo down, cocked his gun and turned to Heechul with a murderous glint in his eyes.

“Can I help you?” Heechul asked drolly.

“As a matter of fact, I think you can.” Kyuhyun nodded, keeping his pokerface on. “You see, I’m not blind, Heechul. I can see the way you look at Sungmin—my Sungmin, and I am not pleased.”

“I have no idea what you’re talking about.” Heechul nonchalantly put his feet up on the headrest of the driver’s seat, ignoring the death stare Kyuhyun was giving him.

“Don’t play dumb with me.” Kyuhyun was not one to get fazed easily. “I know that look you give Sungmin—it’s the same look you gave your boyfriend before you shot him dead.”

“So you’re telling me I want to kill Sungmin? If you are, then I’m not correcting you.” He shrugged. “That blonde midget’s always been a pain in the .”

Kyuhyun only continued to stare him down, “Are you in love with him?”

“What? No! That’s ridiculous.” He frowned. “Kyuhyun, do you hear yourself right now? You’re actually accusing me of stealing your precious little boyfriend. Sungmin and I hate each other’s guts!”

“Do you really?” he tilted his head in question.

“Yes, and I will not sit here and let you point fingers at me; I’m leaving.” Heechul opened the car door, stepped out and loudly slammed it shut.

Kyuhyun watched him storm off, feeling a little amused at how worked up he had made Heechul. Not long after, Sungmin came back, complained about how dirty public restrooms are, and started the car.

“Where did the big queen go?” he asked.

Kyuhyun shrugged, “Heechul? Oh, he said he had to leave. I say good riddance—at least we’re alone now.”

Feeling Kyuhyun’s hand creep up his thigh, Sungmin smirked, “Your place or mine?”

 “You choose.” He leaned back and stared at his blonde boyfriend, taking in the beauty of his face while feeling him over the fabric of his jeans.

They drove around for a couple of minutes until Sungmin realized they were being tailed. He attempted to swerve and lose the car behind them, but soon said car turned its sirens on, forcing Sungmin to pull over since when he realized it was a police car.

“,” Sungmin muttered as he rolled his window down. “Have I told you how much I hate cops?”

“It’s one of the many things I love about you, because it’s one of the few things we actually have in common.” Kyuhyun attempted to kiss him, but was ultimately pushed away by a grouchy boyfriend who was trying to think of the best way to get rid of the police. “If you stall him long enough, I can pull my gun out and put a bullet right in between his eyes. Then we can go home and have lots and lots of . How does that sound?”

Sungmin considered the idea for a minute. “Eh, too messy. I just got my car cleaned. Let’s humor this one.”

They were expecting a man in uniform to come up to the car, but much to their surprise, a man in all-black wearing a ski mask came instead, holding a revolver (which Sungmin noticed had the safety off).

Kyuhyun scanned the man and remarked, “You’re not a cop.”

“No , Sherlock.” The stranger pointed the gun at their faces and demanded, “I know you have the gun, so give it here.”

“Wow, thieves nowadays have really given up on being creative, huh?” Sungmin tried to reach for the gun under his seat without being too obvious. “So, ‘officer’, what gun is this that you speak of?”

“Don’t play dumb with me, blondie.” Suddenly, without warning, he fired a shot which hit Kyuhyun right in the shoulder, causing the brunette to shriek in pain and Sungmin to instinctively whip his gun out and shove it in the masked man’s face.

“What the hell is wrong with you?” he spat out angrily. “You don’t just go around shooting people!”

“Actually, Min, isn’t that what we get paid for?” It was amazing how much of a wiseass Kyuhyun could be even whilst bleeding from a very fresh bullet wound.

“Shut up, Kyuhyun, now’s not the time.” Sungmin said, staring down his boyfriend’s assailant. “Listen, jackass, you messed with the wrong people. You make the slightest move and I swear on Kyuhyun’s life—”

“Hey!” Kyuhyun protested; Sungmin shushed him.

“I will kill you.” Sungmin finished, he himself unsure if he was talking to his boyfriend or their attacker.       “Just hand over Leeteuk’s gun and I’ll spare your boyfriend’s life. And maybe yours too.” He smirked when Sungmin, without lowering his gun, started reaching for the glove compartment where the heirloom was.

“Wait, so does everybody know that we’re ing?” Kyuhyun wondered aloud, right before realizing what Sungmin was doing. “Hey, Sungmin, what—are you ing crazy? Leeteuk will kill you! And me! And probably Heechul too, but who cares about him!”

The box with Leeteuk’s gun in it was already sitting on Sungmin’s lap. “I know what I’m doing.”

“No, you don’t. We’re going to lose our jobs, Sungmin, and killing people is the only thing we know how to do.” Kyuhyun, despite the massive amount of blood pouring out of his shoulder, tried to take the box away.

Sungmin’s eyes shifted back and forth from the wooden box, to his boyfriend, and to the gun pointed at his boyfriend’s head. He took back the box from Kyuhyun and decided, “ it.”


“Leeteuk, I’m sorry. Deeply sorry.” Sungmin continued. “And you know very well that I rarely apologize, and when I do, I mean it. So again, I’m—we’re sorry.”

“Sorry doesn’t even begin to—” Leeteuk was too upset to even finish his sentence. Frankly, the couple before him was starting to get a little frightened given the half-empty bottle of whiskey on his desk and the large gun he was fondling in his hand. “I gave you explicit instructions not to lose the gun. That was the only thing you had to do, and you didn’t even do that. I trusted you, Sungmin.”

Kyuhyun tried to move his arm to make a gesture, but he immediately recoiled in pain, having completely forgotten that it was in a cast from the bullet they removed just last night (he would have stayed at the hospital longer, but Leeteuk demanded that he get off his and get in his office ASAP). “Leeteuk, it’s not all Sungmin’s fault—”

“I don’t want to hear it.” Leeteuk sighed. “Just get out so I can figure out what to do with you two.”

They were just out the door when Leeteuk changed his mind and called Kyuhyun back in. Sungmin was about to follow until Leeteuk indicated that he only wanted to speak to Kyuhyun, and Kyuhyun alone.

Sungmin obeyed and waited outside, listening intently in case of gunshots. A few minutes later, Kyuhyun came out, his face devoid of all emotion.

“What did he say?” he inquired immediately. “Did he fire you?”

“No. He said that he’s reassigning me.” He revealed. “He said that the best thing would be to put me in another team.”

“What?” he asked. “That’s bull.”

“He said that our relationship is getting in the way of our work.” He swallowed the lump in his throat. “Naturally, I said no. We got to talking and eventually he gave me an ultimatum: either I break up with you, or I leave the team.”

Sungmin didn’t know which one would be worse. “What…what did you say?” A long pause. Sungmin snapped, “Kyuhyun, what did you tell him?!”

“I told him that,” he swallowed again, “I intend on doing both.”

“Both? What?” Sungmin’s mind was spinning. “You’re leaving the team?”

“I’m quitting. I’ve already given Leeteuk my gun and my ID.” Kyuhyun’s eyes were shooting daggers at him. “And I’m breaking up with you.”

Sungmin stumbled back in shock; he couldn’t believe his ears. “What the are you talking about?”

“Leeteuk’s right. It’d be best if we’re not together.” Kyuhyun’s voice and face showed no remorse. “Besides, you do nothing but betray people’s trust anyway.”

“What?” Sungmin stood there helplessly as Kyuhyun walked away. “Kyuhyun, what are you—” Suddenly, it came to him. Clenching his fists in anger, he stormed into Leeteuk’s office and had a screaming fit.

“You told him?! You told Kyuhyun! How could you tell him?! I ing trusted you, Leeteuk!” He pushed him up against the wall, just about ready to kill him.

Leeteuk waited for the blonde to calm down before providing an explanation. Unfortunately, Leeteuk had to resort to throwing punches to get him to get a hold of himself. “I trusted you too, Sungmin. Consider us even.”

“That’s different, Leeteuk.” Sungmin wiped the blood off his cut lip. “I told you what happened between me and Heechul in confidence. You just wanted to protect your little toy and save a couple of money.”

“It’s not just a couple of money, Sungmin.” Leeteuk pointed out. “You lost me millions of money. You lost me something that’s been a part of my family for generations.”

“You lost me Kyuhyun.” He said bitterly. “You lost me the love of my life.”

He left as hastily and angrily as he went in.


Sungmin hated seeing Kyuhyun struggle with packing his things with only one good arm, but he knew he couldn’t do anything but watch. Every now and then, he tries to talk to him, but only gets angry retorts in return.

“You aren’t perfect, Kyuhyun. You’ve made mistakes too.” Sungmin was trying really hard to keep his voice from cracking. His chest has never felt this heavy before. “You ed someone else after the first time we slept together. And I wanted to quit that time too, but you stopped me. Why can’t I stop you?”

“Because I thought that you were the only person I can trust in this world. I thought you were the only person who would hold a gun to my head and I could trust not to pull the trigger.” Kyuhyun put the last of his things in his box and looked at the blonde dead straight in the eyes. “But you did. You pulled the trigger.”

“Kyuhyun. It’s not like it meant anything.” He pleaded. “I mean come on, it’s Heechul. It’s Heechul, for God’s sake. That right there is enough for you to see exactly how drunk I was.”

 “Heechul is still Heechul, is still , and we…” he picked the box up and put it under his good arm. “We are no more. Goodbye, Sungmin.”

“You’re just angry, Kyuhyun. You don’t really mean this. You don’t really want this.” He felt his heart beating faster when Kyuhyun started walking away.

“That may be true.” He admitted. “But right now, I know that I don’t want to be around you. I don’t want to be around Heechul either.”

“Wait,” Sungmin called again. “Wha—” he shook his head, feeling his eyes welling up with tears. “What the hell am I supposed to do without you?”

Kyuhyun sighed. Without even turning around, he said, “You were doing fine before I came along. You’ll do fine without me.”

It was amazing how someone could walk out of your life so easily, just like that.


Sungmin still kept Kyuhyun’s number as speed dial number one, though he really didn’t expect many calls or messages from him any time soon. He removed Leeteuk’s number as speed dial number two. He moved number three up one position and put in Heechul’s number in its place. After all, Heechul and he still had to work together despite the circumstances. But Sungmin didn’t think he could handle being in a team that only composed of him and a transvestite he once drunkenly slept with.

That’s why he called up former speed dial number three, now speed dial number two. That bumbling dip.

“Eunhyuk, do me a favor.” Sungmin knew Eunhyuk could sense the sombreness in his voice. “I need you to come back. Stop being such a wuss and rejoin the team.”