the silent treatment always works

Live to Kill

“Kyuhyun, you know I hate awkward silences.” Eunhyuk had always been very comfortable around his long-time friend. But now, as the two sat in the parked car without a word spoken between them—Eunhyuk was feeling the exact opposite.

“I know.” Kyuhyun remarked nonchalantly as he flipped the pages of his magazine.

“Then talk to me.”

“About what?”

“About anything.”

“No thank you.”

“Talk to me about Sungmin then.”

He managed to catch Kyuhyun’s attention as he brought his head up and glared at Eunhyuk’s reflection in the rearview mirror. “What about him?”

“Do you…like him?”

He turned bright red immediately. “No,” he dismissed. “Why would I like him? He’s bossy, annoying, and arrogant and he thinks he’s so great—”

“Kyuhyun, I know you well enough to realize when you’re talking about someone you like.” Eunhyuk smirked. “I wish you could’ve told me you liked guys now, though…”

“I’ve always liked guys, dip.” He hissed, causing Eunhyuk’s eyebrows to fly up.

“Oh…so then did you ever have a crush on me?”

Kyuhyun turned his head around to look at him, one of his eyebrows arched up. “Oh, Hyukjae.”

“Is that a yes?”

Sungmin suddenly came and settled in the driver’s seat, where his usual place was. The two immediately shut up at his appearance, which only added to his suspicions. Before starting the car, he looked at the two with one eyebrow quizzically arched up.

“What?” he asked.

“Um…Kyuhyun has always liked guys!” Eunhyuk blurted out, earning a much-deserved glare from the skinny boy in the passenger seat.

Sungmin’s cheeks burned up instantly. “What the hell do you two talk about while I’m gone?” he asked without looking at either of them.

“Whatever! Let’s just go home!” Kyuhyun insisted frantically.

“That would be easier said than done.” Sungmin admitted as he gripped onto the steering wheel.

“What do you mean?” Eunhyuk asked.

Sungmin didn’t answer and instead blankly stared straight ahead. Kyuhyun was quick to realize what was going on. “You have no idea how to go back home, do you?” he clucked his tongue in disdain.

“…Shut up.”


“What do you mean you’re lost?” Leeteuk’s scolding tone deemed very unfamiliar to Sungmin. As far as he knew, Leeteuk had never scolded him for anything before he got stuck with the dip and the jackass. Just hearing the anger in his boss’s tone made him flinch.

“I mean we’re lost, Teuk.” He replied just as crossly. “I don’t want to have to spell it out for you over the phone.”

“How can you be lost? Find the way back!” He ordered.

Sungmin leaned against the payphone and rubbed his temple. “And you think I haven’t thought of that? I already have Eunhyuk out to get some gas so we can drive around—at least until things start looking familiar.”

“That’s no good.” Kyuhyun sneered.

Sungmin didn’t even bother covering the end of the phone to take a snipe at Kyuhyun, “For the last time, shut the hell up. I know what I’m doing.”

“If we would just ask for directions like I suggested, we’d probably be back in Seoul right now.” He stated. “With your sense of direction, we’ll probably get even more lost.”

“Now what’s that supposed to mean?” he demanded, his grip on the phone tightening. “Leeteuk, can you believe this smarta—Leeteuk?

Instead of hearing Leeteuk’s voice respond like he expected, he heard a ringing sound, making him realize he had hung up. “Oh, for—” he slammed the phone back in its place before storming off.

Just as irritated, Kyuhyun turned around, only to see an excited Eunhyuk running towards him, holding a plastic container of gas.

“I have the gas! I have the—hey, where’s Sungmin?” Panting, he stopped when he was a few mere inches from Kyuhyun.

“Sungmin’s being a right now, so by my guess, he’s probably in his room, sulking.” He sighed. “Come on, Hyuk. Let’s fill up the gas tank.”


The three had been driving around all afternoon, without any luck of finding the way back home. The scowl on Sungmin’s face hadn’t disappeaed since they got in the car (partly because he really didn’t have any idea where they were going, but mostly because Kyuhyun wasn’t shy about showing his growing temper).

“I knew we’d wind up like this.” He gloated. “Just stop being so stubborn and ask someone for directions, would you?”

Sungmin didn’t respond and kept his eyes fixated on the road.

“What, so now you’re not talking to me?” Kyuhyun groaned exasperatedly.

Eunhyuk observed the driver for a quick moment before reporting back to Kyuhyun, “I think he doesn’t want to talk to you.”

“Yeah, I got that, Hyuk.” He glared at him before turning his attention back to the expressionless blonde. “Real mature, Sungmin. Is that how a man your age should act?”

Still no response.

“This is pathetic—isn’t this pathetic, Eunhyuk?” Kyuhyun turned to his friend for back-up.

“Don’t drag me to into this,” he shook his head. “I’m lucky Sungmin still acknowledges my existence.”

“Sungmin, this isn’t middle school. This stupid silent treatment you’re pulling on me will never work.” He stated firmly. “I’m telling you, this won’t work. It won’t work, it won’t work, it won’t work—”


“I can’t believe he’s still not talking to me.” Kyuhyun sighed miserably as he leaned against the headboard and hugged his knees like a depressed teenage girl. “Is he talking to you?”

Eunhyuk nodded, “Just to throw some insults every now and then. Ice cream?”

The brunet offered him the bucket of strawberry ice cream in his hands and Kyuhyun looked at its contents, grimacing. Nevertheless, he decided it was better than nothing and promptly grabbed Eunhyuk’s spoon and dug in. Eunhyuk normally hated sharing food, but he had never seen Kyuhyun so depressed before, so he thought he should at least do his part in cheering him up.

“You think you have it hard? I’m the one who has to take sides.” Eunhyuk pointed out, attempting to get his spoon back from Kyuhyun, who now seemed to be enjoying the ice cream he bought a little too much.

“Whose side are you taking then?” he took the time to take his face out of the bucket of ice cream to shoot his partner a question.

His eyes widened. “Um…”

“You’re not thinking of taking his side, are you?” his eyebrows rose. “Eunhyuk, that blonde bastard has never even showed you the slightest shred of respect and you want to take his side? How could you? We’ve been partners for two years!”

“Well…” Eunhyuk started timidly. “If I pick you, I’m afraid Sungmin might kill me in my sleep.”

“You are such a coward, Hyukjae.” Kyuhyun clucked his tongue disapprovingly.

Eunhyuk always cringed when Kyuhyun used his real name in such a manner. “Yah, why are you so upset anyway? What, are you in love with him or something?”

The nervous look on Kyuhyun’s face said it all.

“Oh. My. God.” Eunhyuk’s jaw dropped to the floor. “Oh —what—you’re—oh my god—I mean—Sungmin?!”

“I didn’t say anything!” He said defensively. “You’re the one making some stupid assumption that I’m in love with Lee Sungmin? Are you ing kidding me? How could anyone be in love with that…that…”

“Oh God, you’ve got it bad, Kyu.” Eunhyuk put his arm around the skinny man’s neck. “Listen, if you really feel that strongly about him, then you have to make things right. Talk to him and resolve this stupid fight between you guys.”

Kyuhyun folded his arms and sulked some more. “He’s just being stubborn, you know? Just because we don’t agree about one thing—”

“Don’t you start. I can’t take any more of your whining, Kyu.” He told him. “Go to Sungmin now. I’m begging you here.”

“Fine,” Kyuhyun put the half-finished bucket of ice cream down (and Eunhyuk didn’t waste a second to take it back) and stood up. “But I’m only doing this because you’re begging, not because I want to.”


“Um…Sungmin?” Kyuhyun called shyly as he knocked on the blonde’s door.

Sungmin didn’t even have to turn around to recognize the voice. Instead, he continued to fiddle with the air conditioning, while standing on his tip-toes (since he wasn’t tall enough to reach the switches).

“This motel ,” Sungmin said, not exactly to Kyuhyun in particular. “Even this damn air conditioner won’t work.”

Kyuhyun, albeit reluctantly, walked across the room to help the man with his problem. He bent his knees, plugged in the air conditioner and switched it on successfully. Sungmin avoided his gaze as he went back to his bed and muttered, “I could’ve done that.”

The tall man followed and sat on his bed as well, but was wise enough to keep his distance. “So, uh…” he awkwardly cleared his throat. “We obviously have a problem…and I wouldn’t really be doing this but Eunhyuk—”

Kyuhyun stopped mid-sentence when his eyes met Sungmin’s deep, dark ones, and he couldn’t help but just stare at the blonde. He realized how ridiculous he might have looked, especially since Sungmin had just realized he was staring and was now giving him the dirtiest look he’s ever gotten.

To avoid the man’s frightening stare, he dropped his gaze to Sungmin’s lips, which looked so plump and soft from his point of view. His mouth parted slowly, and Sungmin could’ve sworn that he saw some drool trickle down Kyuhyun’s chin. Kyuhyun, however, was too busy wondering what it would be like to kiss those delicious-looking lips (again) to realize he was drooling.

“Kyuhyun, you are incredibly pathetic.” Sungmin sighed. “I know that look in your eyes. I’ve seen that look too many times to not know.”

He blushed, “What look? I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“Just kiss me already.” He said, almost like he was ordering him. “We both know you want to.”

Kyuhyun, pleased enough with his remark, gently pushed the blonde down so his back was on the mattress. “Alright, but just because you asked.” Smirking, he climbed on top of him, spread the elder’s legs and carefully positioned himself in between them. “I sure hope we don’t get interrupted this time.”

“I can’t believe I’m saying this but,” Sungmin slowly ran his hands through Kyuhyun’s (already) messy hair. “Me too.”


Sungmin’s eyes fluttered open, only to have his corneas burned by the sunshine seeping through the blinds of his window. He tried to get up to properly close the blinds, but he soon realized that an arm wrapped around his chest was preventing him from doing so.

He looked to his side and was initially surprised to see Kyuhyun’s sleeping face, only to have the unforgettable events of last night come flashing back to him. This caused him to smile a little and prompted him to the sleeping man’s hair. He watched him sleep for a little while, since he never realized how adorable Kyuhyun looked when unconscious. As if Kyuhyun could feel his eyes on him, he scooted closer to the blonde and hugged him even tighter, which actually made Sungmin feel nice inside.

“Kyuhyun?” he called softly. When he didn’t answer, he slightly chuckled to himself as he planted a kiss on the bedhead’s forehead.

But then, his expression took a turn for the worse when he got to thinking—

What in the name of am I doing?

Sungmin has always thought he liked girls. He liked s, he tried to convince himself. But lately he has been looking at a certain someone in a rather different way. He didn’t know if it was just because he hadn’t had in a while, but he soon found himself actually lusting for the obnoxious man.

And last night, all of his questions had been answered.

He was gay.

The problem was that Sungmin wasn’t entirely sure if he wanted to like guys now.

When he tried to pry Kyuhyun’s arm off him, this instead resulted into the man waking up. “Mm,” he moaned as he looked at Sungmin through his half-open eyes. Once it came to his senses that he was waking up to Sungmin next to him (finally), he leaned closer to the blonde’s face, kissed his cheek and purred, “Good morning.”

Sungmin recoiled slightly. He turned away and buried his face in his hands.

“What’s wrong, babe?” he asked, resting his chin on Sungmin’s shoulder.

Sungmin shook his head and moved away from Kyuhyun, whose face immediately fell. But Kyuhyun was persistent. The moment Sungmin shifted away, Kyuhyun moved closer to him yet again.

“Listen, Ming. I know what you’re feeling.” He started throatily as he started nibbling on the blonde’s ear. “You’re feeling something strange, something unfamiliar; something you don’t know if you want to feel or not. All I gotta say is…stop fighting it. Because you and I both know you’re not gonna win.”

Sungmin slowly turned his head to face him, and their eyes met. Sungmin then dropped his gaze to Kyuhyun’s lips, and it didn’t take the blonde much effort to close the small gap between their faces.

“You, uh…” Sungmin pulled away just slightly to speak. “You sure knew your way around last night.”

Kyuhyun smirked and kissed him again. “Well, it wasn’t my first time.”

Sungmin frowned slightly. “Oh.”

“I’m glad you enjoyed it though,” he mewed as his kisses started trailing down to Sungmin’s neck.

“Sungmin, I found some directions to Seou—ohhhh.” Eunhyuk expected himself to at least be a little surprised, but he was far from it. He even felt a bit amused, in fact. “I’ll…um…give you guys your privacy.”

As Eunhyuk shut the door, Kyuhyun threw his head back and laughed. Not long after, he turned back to Sungmin, whom he caught staring at his sharp collarbone.

“Like what you see?” he quipped as he gently pushed Sungmin against the headboard and got on his lap, followed by a suggestive smirk. “I hope you have enough energy in the morning, babe.”


 “Going out already?”

Since they already had the directions to the way back home, the trio were more than ready to head back. But Kyuhyun had just gotten out of the shower when he spotted Sungmin about to leave the room without him.

“Um…” he blinked at him awkwardly. “Yeah.”

“I thought you would at least wait for me.”

“…Should I?”

“Isn’t that what boyfriends do?”

“…What?”

Kyuhyun chuckled and assured the man he was just kidding. With only a towel wrapped around his lower body, he kissed Sungmin’s cheek before letting him go out. Sungmin practically stumbled on the way to the car, as the image of Kyuhyun in just a freaking towel was now forever engraved in his mind.

He got in the car, in which Eunhyuk was already at the backseat, waiting for them. He made himself comfortable as he revved up the engine. Soon, he realized there was a pair of curious eyes practically boring holes into his soul.

“What?” he asked.

“I know that look! I’ve had that look on before!” He said excitedly.

“What look?” Sungmin looked in the rearview mirror and gasped when he realized what Eunhyuk was talking about. “Oh my God, I’m…smiling?”

“Yeah! You have that ‘I-just-had-’ face on!” Eunhyuk gasped when he heard what had just come out of his mouth. “Oh my God, you had with Kyuhyun? Again?”

“Eunhyuk, you sound like a teenage girl.” He scolded while blushing. “Be quiet.”

“How can I? I can’t believe my two partners are ing.” He slumped down in his seat when it came to mind that he was now the only one in the team who had no life at the moment. “I’m gonna die alone, aren’t I?”

“I hope you do.” Sungmin remarked absentmindedly as he continued to imagine Kyuhyun’s towel ‘accidentally’ dropping in his mind. Jesus, that bastard’s hot.

“Who?” Eunhyuk asked, surprised and curious at the same time.

Sungmin gulped when he realized that he had just said something he really shouldn’t have out loud. Only looking at the wide-eyed man through the rearview mirror, he struggled to think of an excuse but only managed to come up with: “Um…”

Before they knew it, Kyuhyun had emerged from the building and entered the car, oblivious to the previous conversation that had taken place. But it was clear that he wasn’t going to remain unaware any longer…

“Kyuhyun, Sungmin thinks you’re hot.” Eunhyuk tattled like an annoying schoolboy.

“Yah!” Sungmin protested, his cheeks redder than ever.

“Really now?” Kyuhyun smirked and started running his hand through Sungmin’s thigh. “Good to know.”

Sungmin, completely flustered, furiously stepped on the pedal and started driving like crazy. Meanwhile, Kyuhyun continued to tease the blonde with his busy hands, while Eunhyuk stayed in the backseat, covering his eyes and trying to ignore the scene before him by thinking about strawberries.


I’m terribly sorry for the ish-ness of this chapter. Please forgive me. >.<