the real question

Live to Kill

 


That night, Kyuhyun's heart was, more than anything, completely shrouded with guilt. He knew what he did was bound to have its consequences, but he thought none of that when he picked up that charming guy from a shady bar the night before. He was only thinking about himself and how scared he became when he realized the feelings which he once thought were lust turned out to be something more; something far more serious.

For the first time in his life, Cho Kyuhyun was actually feeling something. Something real.

"Hey, Kyu," Kyuhyun turned around and saw Eunhyuk standing by the door of their office. "Have you talked to Sungmin yet?"

He sighed, "No."

"Oh," he pursed his lips together. "Well, I think you should."

"Why?" he snapped, making Eunhyuk jump. "Oh, I know what you're going to say. You think I should confront my feelings and sort this whole thing out with Sungmin, before it gets even worse. But let me tell you something, Hyukjae, I don't care! If Sungmin wants to be a whiny then he can go to hell, for all I care."

Eunhyuk blinked awkwardly. "Um, no...I wasn't gonna say that at all."

"Then what is it?!" Kyuhyun shot him a dirty look.

"I was gonna say that maybe you should talk to him because he's cleaning out his office right now"

"He's what?" Kyuhyun's eyes widened with alarm.


"What the do you think you're doing?" Kyuhyun approached the blonde, completely furious. "Are you seriously this pathetic as to quit a job that you love just because you can't up your own problems?"

"If there's one thing I loathe, Kyuhyun-ssi," Sungmin's voice was toneless and so eerily calm. "It's people who think they can toy with me. Nobody toys with me, Cho Kyuhyun. Nobody. Nobody takes my feelings and uses them as their own selfish playthings. If you wanted to hurt and humiliate me, then congratulations, you've succeeded."

"Look," he tried to reason with him. "I'm sorry, okay?"

"I don't even hear the slightest hint of sincerity in your voice." He said blankly. "Somehow, I'm not surprised."

"I really am sorry, Sungmin." Kyuhyun never apologized, not for anything, not for anyone. But he figured it was worth it this time. "I don't want you to quit. Especially because of me."

Sungmin scoffed, "Too late."

Kyuhyun tried to stop him by taking the box in his arms and putting it down on his now empty desk. "You can't do this."

"But I am." He refuted. "I've already come to an agreement with Leeteuk. As of now, I am no longer working with you two, nor am I working for him."

"Don't speak too soon, Ming." Leeteuk came in and slapped down some files on the desk. "Nothing's official yet. I have here some profiles of your potential replacements; I'm expecting you to choose the best candidate."

"Fine," he took the files and browsed through them. "If it means getting me out of here."

As Sungmin walked out of the room with files in hand, Leeteuk stared Kyuhyun down with the nastiest look he has ever pulled on anyone. "You are a total ."

"And you think I don't know that?" he sighed. "Leeteuk, he can't leave. Make him stay; you have to make him stay."

"I'm trying." He stated. "The whole replacement thing is just for stalling; all the names on those files are either missing or dead."

"That's not enough, Leeteuk," he said, starting to feel his brave front crash down. "Sungmin's no idiot. He's gonna find that out sooner or later"

"Get a grip, Kyuhyun." He interjected. "The only thing he's asking from me is to fire you. So if you really want him to stay"

"Fire me? Forget it." He snorted. "This whole company would be lost without me."

"We would be even more lost without Sungmin." He pointed out. "What the hell were you even thinking, Kyuhyun? Were you asking for a death wish? After all these years I've known him, I've never seen Sungmin so pissed! And that's saying something."

"WellI don't know, okay?!" He snapped, flinging his arms around in frustration. "I'm confused, I'm torn apart, I'm scared!"

"You're...what?"

That's when Kyuhyun realized that there was just no use pretending anymore. "I'm scared, Leeteuk."

"Scared of what?" he asked. 

"I don't know," he looked down to his feet. "I just am."

Leeteuk sighed and put his hand on his shoulder. "I know you know."

"Okay, okay," he started to chew on his lip. "It's been a long time since I had real feelings for someone and...I never expected it to be for Sungmin, of all the ing people. I just...I don't know what to do...and...I'm scared."

"And you thought the way to fix it was to have with someone else?" he asked, his hands on his hips.

"Sungmin and I aren't even dating" he started.

"But what you did was still wrong." He interjected.

"I know," at this point, Kyuhyun was expressionless. "I guess I was just trying to convince myself that what I was feeling wasn't real."

"It didn't work, did it?"

Kyuhyun glared at him. "Well, no , Sherlock."

Leeteuk prepared himself to give one of the hardest speeches he's ever had to make. "Kyuhyun, I don't know if you realized this but Sungmin, despite the intimidating demeanor, is actually an incredibly fragile person. All he is right now is hurt and even though you caused him his pain, I just know you're the only one who can make him feel better. I have never, ever seen somethingsomeone make such a huge impact on him. Just yesterday, I saw the way he was looking at you when he entered the conference room, and then it hit me. He was hurt, sure, but there was something else. He's in love, Kyu."

Kyuhyun took a deep breath. "Fine. I'll talk to him."


— Leeteuk wants you in the conference room. 

"Where's Leeteuk?" Sungmin asked as he stepped foot in the conference room, where he spotted Kyuhyun was sitting all alone.

"He's not coming," he admitted. "I just...I needed to get you alone. And I knew you'd only listen to Leeteuk, so"

Sungmin started to leave, but Kyuhyun acted fast and before the blonde knew it, he had been handcuffed to the swivel chair.

"Cho Kyuhyun, I may be cuffed right now but believe me, I still can and will kill you." He threatened, but this didn't faze Kyuhyun at all. "Let me go."

"I can't do that, my little blondie bunny." Kyuhyun hid the key and hopped onto the table. "We need to discuss this."

"There's nothing to discuss, Kyuhyun. The matter is closed." He stated. "Now that I'm leaving, you're free to anyone's brains out all you want."

"You're not leaving, Sungmin." He took the blonde's face in his hand. "We all know that's just one big, empty threat."

"Is this your way of apologizing? Because frankly, I don't need it." He spat out, pulling away from him with an expression of pure disgust. "I'm still leaving, regardless of what you say to me."

"You can't do that." He insisted. "You can't do it, Sungmin. Not now, not to me."

"Excuse me?" he stood up, bringing the whole chair up with him. "Do I need to remind you of what you did to me? If I had done what you did to me, you would be just as pissed as I am."

"Yes, Sungmin, I would." He admitted. "But I'd get over it. I'd forgive you."

"Do you know what the difference is here?" he started as he reached into Kyuhyun's coat pocket and took the key out. "I would never have done anything like that to you."

"You're...right." He said solemnly. "Sungmin, I'm sorry."

Once had had freed himself, he threw the handcuffs on the table, along with the key. "Apology not accepted."

Kyuhyun stood up and tried to stop him from going out the door. "Sungmin, I love you." He blurted out.

Sungmin stayed still for a second, until he pulled away from Kyuhyun and turning his head just slightly to look him in the eye. "I'd rather be hurt by the truth than be fooled by a lie."

Then he left by slamming the door in Kyuhyun's face, who was left helplessly whimpering, "But it's not a lie."


"Go home."

Kyuhyun used his foot to stop Sungmin from slamming the door in his face again. He had driven all the way to Sungmin's house just to set things straight, mainly because there were some things they may have left hanging in the air.

"No," he let himself in, much to Sungmin's annoyance. "What I did was wrong, yes, I know that. But the question here isn't whether or not I love you, because I do. The real question here is, do you love me?"

Sungmin was probably a minute away from pulling his gun on him. "That's not the question because you damn well know the answer."

"Do you know the answer?" he shot the question right back at him.

It was clear that Sungmin has had enough when his fist had, perhaps inevitably, come in contact with Kyuhyun's jaw. "You...crazy...tard! You know I" his voice softened. "You know I love you."

"You know, normally, when you love someone, you don't ing sock them in the face." He griped, holding his bruising face. 

Sungmin rolled his eyes and headed to the kitchen for a drink. Kyuhyun stayed adamant as he chased after him. 

"You know," he started. "You're really cute when you're mad."

"Then I must be pretty ing adorable right now." He growled as he took out a bottle of beer from the fridge. 

"You are," he smirked as he tried to move closer to the blonde, only to get pushed away. 

"Shut the hell up, Kyuhyun." He hissed. "Don't think you can talk to me like this and get away with it. It doesn't make it all better; it doesn't work that way."

"I know. And you want to know how I know?" he quickly restrained the grumpy man's arms from laying a hand on him so he could speak right into his ear, using his throaty voice. "Because ever since we became a team, I have learned every little detail about you. I can recognize how you walk, how you talk, how you think. I know that you have a strange fondness for pink. I know that you secretly hate your height. I know that you're not a selfish lover, at least not to me. And somewhere along the road, I found myself falling in love for some reason. I've seen you at your worst, and I've seen you at your really, really worst, but I still love you. Does that mean anything to you at all?"

"That's the crappiest speech I've ever heard." He said before grabbing Kyuhyun's face. "But I'll buy it."

Their lips met and soon, clothes were being flung everywhere. As for what happened for the remainder of the night, it was a good thing for the two that Sungmin's kitchen table was stable and in a way, really comfortable.


"You wanted to talk to me, Teuk?"

"Yeah, have a seat." Leeteuk cleared his throat. "You seem happy today."

Sungmin strolled in, hands in his pockets and an elated grin upon his face. "Well, it's been a great morning. So what did you want to talk to me about?"

"Well, I don't want you to leave this company," he started. "But I understand that you can't keep working with Kyuhyun, so I've found some new agents to be your team. What do you say?"

"You know what, Leeteuk?" his grin grew wider. "No thanks."


As much as I’d love to write a scene somewhere in here, I’m afraid I can’t because I tried a couple of times and I don’t think any of them is good enough to put in the story. (Sorry sorry sorry sorry~) So I’ll just leave it to your imaginations. Kkk~