Chp 45

Kyuhyun... It's been hard on you.

"Still awkward."

"Sorry," I said ruefully, hanging my head. We were getting on the bus after finishing the non-broadcast performance, and Eunhyuk still wasn't impressed.

"We'll work on it tomorrow. We'll get it down before we go on the music programs on the weekend," said Eunhyuk.

I wondered if I should refuse - we could be wasting hours fixing something that I would only be doing for less than two weeks now. But how could I refuse? As long as I was here, I might as well go out as a good performer rather than one that was almost good. "Yes, sunbaenim," I said.

Eunhyuk smiled and with a pat on my back, moved to the seat next to Siwon.

 

 

I was furiously finishing up the week's worth of schoolwork in Donghae and Sungmin's room that night after the performance in preparation for school the next morning. Although I was able to get a lot of it done on my day off, I estimated that there was still about eight hours' worth of work still to go until I would finish what I was supposed to for the week. I was so focused on the work that I didn't even realize that Donghae was calling my name. I only looked up, alarmed, when a pen landed on top of my books. Donghae had thrown it to get my attention from the other side of the room.

"Wow. You scared me, hyung," I said, looking up.

"I scheduled it out. We're leaving the dorm at 3:30am on Wednesday to take the 4:30am train to Mokpo. We'll get there by 8:30am, and we should be able to get to the hospital by 9:30am. We can spend the whole day there."

I choked on my own breath.

"Uh - hyung." I searched for the best way to tell him that I didn't think I should go. "Wouldn't I be taking away time that you could be spending alone with your dad? I mean, I'm sure he wants to spend time with you, not me."

"I already called my dad and told him you were coming, so don't worry about that," said Donghae. My heart dropped.

"He - he already thinks I'm coming?" I asked, my mouth dry.

"Yeah. He's excited to meet you," said Donghae, looking at me with his characteristic large, wet eyes. I sighed. How could I say no to that look?

"Okay, I'll come," I said reluctantly.

"Cool," said Donghae happily. "Get lots of sleep tonight, because you're not getting any tomorrow."

"Umm..." I said, looking at my schoolwork. "I have to finish this, though."

"Well, if you think you can stay up two nights in a row, do whatever you want," said Donghae, getting under his covers.

I rubbed my tired eyes and looked back at my work. Donghae was right - there was no way I would be able to stay up two nights in a row. I put my schoolwork away with a sigh, and laid down on the floor to sleep.

 

 

The next morning, the manager hyung purposely drove me to school 15 minutes late so that I didn't get caught in the human traffic. It was my first time going to school since the music video release, and as we drove onto the school grounds, we noticed that the blue banner congratulating me was still there.

"I'm worried," said the manager hyung, looking up at the banner. I smiled.

"Hyung, I've been going to school with these guys since I was in elementary school. I don't think anything would have changed," I said.

"Try not to get your picture taken," said the manager hyung.

"Why not?" I asked.

"You don't have your hair and makeup done. Also, I don't think you want pictures of yourself in your uniform circulating on the internet."

"Okay, hyung," I said, then I smiled. "I'm pretty sure no one will want their picture taken with me though."

"Well, I'm going to be close by if you need me," he said. He still had the worried look on his face.

"Hyung, don't worry. I'll be fine."

"Okay. Call if anything happens," he said.

"I will, hyung. Don't worry," I repeated. I got out of the van and bowed. The manager hyung nodded, obviously still worried, and I gave him a small wave before walking away.

 

 

I opened the back door to the classroom as quietly as I could and stepped inside. I closed the door behind me and bowed to the teacher. Seeing me, he smiled.

"Long time no see, Kyuhyun."

"Sorry," I said with another bow, walking to my seat carefully. There was instantly a buzz within the classroom. I blushed and sat down in my chair hastily. I opened my bag to retrieve my books, and then when I turned to set them on my desk, I realized that the desk was completely covered with colourful graffiti. My jaw dropped. I started reading, forgetting about the books still in my hands.

 

"Our Kyuhyunnie is a singer! Good luck!"

"Super Junior Hwaiting!"

"We're lucky to be going to the same school as you~ SUPER JUNIOR!!"

 

I didn't know how long I was reading these messages for, but I forgot everything as I read with my mouth open.

"Kyuhyun."

I snapped out of my trance.

"Yes, sir," I said, looking up.

"You're only here once a week. Try to focus while you're here," said the teacher sternly.

"Yes, sir. I'm sorry," I said, looking back down at my desk and putting my books down on it regretfully.

From then on, I tried following the lesson, but to my absolute dismay, I found myself struggling to keep up with the material. I guessed that was what happened when you didn't attend a single class for a month. When the bell for the break sounded, I breathed a sigh of relief that the lesson was over. I put my face in my hands in frustration that I had done so much schoolwork between my busy schedule, but was still not where I should be. When I took my hands away from my face and got up halfway to go to the bathroom, I found myself completely surrounded by my classmates. Surprised, I sat back down and looked around.

"What - "

"Hey, how come you don't answer my texts anymore?" I heard from my left. I turned my head to see one of my good friends standing beside my desk.

"I've been incredibly busy. You have no idea how crazy - "

"Hey, Cho Kyuhyun. What's it like being a celebrity?" I turned my head again.

"Not that much different from - "

"Can you get me Super Junior's autograph?" I turned my head again to look at the person who spoke. It was a girl in my class that I'd never even spoken to before. I imagined myself asking Leeteuk and Kangin for autographs to give to my friends for a split second, then laughed a little.

"Look, I'd love to if I could, but we're - "

"Wow, come on. We're your friends," said another girl.

"Um... I - I'd really like to, really. But the fact is - "

"Hey, Kyuhyun, let me take a picture with you," said another girl that I'd never even seen before.

"You're not even in this class!" I said, surprised.

"Hey, Kyuhyun - "

"Kyuhyun - "

"Cho Kyuhyun - "

"Uh, wait, guys, I really have to go to the bathroom. I'll be right ba - " I said, getting up from my seat. Only after I got up did I realize that the crowd had extended to the hallway with students from other classes with their cell phone cameras. Dismayed, I sat back down. "Never mind," I muttered. I guess I didn't have to go badly enough.

"Kyuhyun, can you give me your autograph?"

"Mine?" I asked, perplexed. "You want my autograph? But I'm not even - "

"Yeah. Sign a few for us," said another girl.

"But guys, you guys have known me since we were kids!" I said with a laugh.

"Wait, so you're not signing for us?" I looked up. I wasn't sure who spoke, but it was in an angry tone.

"I - I will, I'm just surprised that you - "

"Come on, break will be over soon."

Flustered, I shuffled my notebook open and started signing. Every time I tore a page out of my notebook, a new hand extended to take it.

I spent the entire break signing autographs. Towards the end, a cell phone was shoved in front of my face. Feeling self-conscious, I put my hand up to lower the hand holding it.

"Wait, I was told not to have pictures taken," I said apologetically. "I might get in trouble. Please."

"What, you're acting like a celebrity on us?"

"No," I said with a laugh of disbelief. "That was just what I was told to do, so - "

"Just keep signing," said another voice, and I bent my head over the desk hurriedly to sign again, flustered.

"Hey, Kyuhyun, look up a bit," said a voice. I wasn't sure what to do. I knew a picture would snap if I did so I knew I shouldn't, but I didn't want to "act like a celebrity"...

"Guys, come on," I said, looking up. The picture snapped with a flash, and I cringed. "I'm telling you. Nothing's changed."

Just then, the bell rang, marking the end of break. The crowd finally broke as everyone returned to their own seats and classrooms. I looked longingly at the hallway from my seat, aware of my need to go to the bathroom.

I was so distracted by my need to go to the bathroom that I wasn't even learning anything. A few minutes into the lesson, I timidly raised my hand to ask for permission to go to the bathroom.

"Celebrities go to the bathroom too?" said someone in the class. There was general laughter in the classroom as I sighed.

"Go ahead, Kyuhyun," said the teacher with a sympathetic nod.

I got up from my seat with my head down, and hurried into the hallway. When I finally reached the empty bathroom, I could feel a headache starting. I wasn't sure which was worse - dealing with the team at the dorm or being at school.