Chp 4

Kyuhyun... It's been hard on you.

It was Saturday morning. SM required that we spent basically the entire day at the company as part of a strenuous progress check. It was held once per month, and this was consequently only the second time that I had gone through this procedure. Everyone wore name tags that day, and everyone important in the company spent the day specifically checking up on us. Even some of the seniors who had already debuted were there. There was talk that Super Junior would be reduced to a smaller number, so maybe they were participating today. In any case, these were crazy days, and I especially had to be careful not to step on someone's toes.

I stepped into one of the larger practice rooms like I had been told the night before, and bowed to the general direction of the dance teacher that was there. He nodded. He had gathered the boys who had been given the same choreography as I had for the week; I was the last one to arrive. I greeted everyone else with bows, and they replied with nods.

"Okay, last practice," said the dance teacher. "Let's see it before you show it to the company."

We danced in sync, the exact same choreography. For the entire practice, I tried not to focus on anyone else but myself; I danced harder than I ever had, remembering every piece of advice I ever heard. At the end of practice, everyone got a comment of approval, and when the session finished, I made my way into the hallway to grab a drink. After my drink, I went back to my practice room while looking into my cell phone and it was only after I stepped inside, let the door close behind me, and had walked to the middle of the practice room that I realized that I had mistaken this practice room for the one that I was practicing in. There was someone practicing his singing in this practice room and surprised, I had looked up to see an annoyed Donghae and Eunhyuk from Super Junior. Extremely startled, I took a few steps backwards with a blank expression on my face. Then I came to my senses and started bowing relentlessly. "Sorry, I came to the wrong room," I said. Donghae didn't seem to be reacting much except look at me like I was some sort of a bug. "Sorry," I repeated, finally getting close enough to the door to put my hand on it.

"So you're Kyuhyun?" said Eunhyuk, glancing at my name tag.

I startled and replied with "Sorry? Yes."

Eunhyuk looked at me, but his expression was cold also. "Ryeowook talks about you sometimes. Let's see your dance."

I was so surprised that I couldn't even open my mouth. "No, I'm sorry for intruding in your practice, sunbaenim; it was a genuine mistake," I said finally, bowing my head again.

"I know. Let's see your dance," said Eunhyuk, so nonchalantly. I glanced at Donghae and he nodded.

"Um... then if I may be so rude," I said, moving back into the middle of the practice room and facing one of the mirrors awkwardly. I looked at both Eunhyuk and Donghae again. Both where looking at my interestedly. I bowed one last time and started my dance without music. When I finished, my face feeling hotter than ever, they both nodded.

"I see," said Donghae.

"Is that your dance for later today?" asked Eunhyuk.

"Yes, it is," I said.

"Your facial expressions are lacking. Remember that you're dancing for other people to see, not for yourself," said Donghae. Wait... did I just get a piece of advice from another member of Super Junior?

"Yes, sunbaenim," I said, extremely puzzled.

"Just keep your mouth open," said Eunhyuk. Was he trying to make a fool of me?

"Okay, that's enough, Hyukjae. Let's let him leave. And be more careful next time," said Donghae. I bowed from my waist and said another word of apology to both Donghae and Eunhyuk before finally leaving the practice room.

When I had finally left that room and into the one that I had been in before, I felt a sense of relief and realized that I was sweating, and it had nothing to do with the fact that I had been dancing.

 

 

In two hours, it was time for my progress check. It was held in a closed room with no mirrors so that you couldn't look at yourself dance. There was a rough video camera in the middle of the room, and six judges sitting in a row. When my name was called, I took a big breath to calm my nerves and I walked into the room. I bowed to all of the judges with a nervous smile. Then, with the nod to start, I looked into the camera and said what I was supposed to - "Good afternoon. It's April 2006, and my name is Cho Kyuhyun. I will be dancing for you today."

I quickly glanced around the room to cue music. At this moment, I was going through everything I've been told to do. Big movements, even for small moves. Light on your feet. Finish every move, but keep the flow. You know all the moves, so focus on the detail. Make sure to be with the music. How about facial expressions?

While I was contemplating, the music had started and I began my dance. Everything was going well and I was concentrating hard on my dance, then about halfway through the dance, I remembered Donghae's advice - remember that you are dancing for others and not yourself. This is when I started to look in the camera and each of the six judges. I shot them a cocky smile and internally, I instantly felt embarrassed; these are the biggest people in the company and I gave them an arrogant smile. But since I started, I may as well keep going. I bit down my lower lip in another attempt at arrogance, and throughout the second half, I focused on looking like a bully who really enjoyed dancing, all the time taking care to finish my big movements. When I struck my final pose, I came out of my persona and returned to my shy self. I hoped that the judges didn't think I was too rude during the performance, but you never know in this industry. Then I said my line: "That was all. Thank you," and I bowed. One of the judges stood up to stop the tape. I couldn't see from their expression what they were thinking. Gosh, these people had the best poker faces ever.

As I bowed again to the judges and turned awkwardly to leave, one of the judges stopped me. "Wait. Do you have a song prepared today?"

"Pardon? Um, no, I believe this month was dance for me," I said, but my heart skipped a beat. Was I supposed to have a song prepared?

"You sang last month?" asked one of the other judges.

"Yes," I said.

"And you don't yet live in the dormitories for trainees?" he asked.

"No, sir," I said. "Would it be better if I -"

"No, it's fine," said the judge. Oh god. They're going to kick me out. They're asking this because it will be easier to kick me out when I don't already live in the dorms.

"Thank you," said the judge, looking down and scribbling on his papers.

I bowed again and left the room with a heavy heart.