Chp 12

Kyuhyun... It's been hard on you.

I obviously got to school late - it was already 8:20 when I had reached the subway station to get on the subway to school. Once I had sat down on the subway and started to relax a little, I felt my body loosen up like wet noodles and I felt physically sick. It had been a tense couple of days, and just getting out of the suite had made me realize the amount of non-sleep that I got.

 

 

I barely even rushed to get to class on time since I knew I was late anyway. I walked into the classroom 20 minutes late, which was obviously unacceptable, but it seemed to me that I was rarely on time for class anymore. For what seemed like the hundredth time, I bowed and apologized at the door, but the teacher didn't pursue it further. The students didn't even seem surprised at either my lateness or the lack of response from the teacher anymore.

At the end of class, I had stayed behind to obtain my week's worth of work that the teacher had prepared for me, but I wasn't sure if I would even have time or energy to even glance at any of the material.

"When is the next time you can make it to school?" he asked.

I looked at my rough schedule.

"It looks like next Wednesday," I said. "But I think I can only be here for the first half of the day."

"That's fine. Come a half-hour earlier that day so I can check over your work though," he said. I hesitated. If I was expected to do chores around the dorm every morning, it would be unlikely that I would be able to make it. But then... no. School comes before chores. What made me even think twice?

"Yes, of course, sir," I said. "I really appreciate you doing this."

"Not a problem. And also, you know you have to attend a certain number of days for a diploma, right?"

"Um..." I knew some rule like that existed, but I wasn't sure how many days I was allowed to miss or now many I've missed already.

"If I remember right, you only can miss 11 more days for the rest of the year."

Wow, had I really not gone to school that much?

"So I should... try to check in every day?" This was a problem that I hadn't taken into account for.

"If you'd like a diploma."

"Of course."

"Well then, I will see you tomorrow sometime, whenever you can make it."

"Yes, sir. Thank you," I said, bowing. He nodded and dismissed me.

 

 

When I reached the school gates, I was surprised with the presence of one of the Super Junior managers, the same one that came to the suite last night, standing next the van. I bowed to greet him.

"Why did you leave on your own this morning without calling?" he said without even acknowledging my greeting.

"I was... just going to school," I said, perplexed.

"I need you to call us every time you leave the suite. I thought I made that clear," he said.

"Sorry," I said, "I didn't realize..."

"Okay. Let's get you out of here," he said, cutting me off. He opened the door. He was clearly irritated.

"Um, I thought - uh... Okay," I said, awkwardly stepping inside the van. I wasn't sure where he was going to take me, but I assumed that he knew my schedule at least as well as I did. He closed the door and stepped around to the driver's seat. He started the van, and stepped on the gas.

"I'm letting this slide, but it can't ever happen again. You should know better after what happened last night."

"Wait," I said. "So I'm supposed to call you even when I go to school?"

"Every time you're leaving the suite or the office, yes. And this includes if you're leaving the suite to go to the office."

"Okay. Sorry," I said.

"You can take the subway to school until the music video, but then after it's released, I will need to drive you everywhere. Speaking of the music video, we're shooting that in five days. So learn the choreography, and fast."

I was so shocked that I was literally speechless for a good minute.

"Um... I haven't even heard the title song guide yet. I actually don't know what it's even called," I said.

"No need for a guide. It's been recorded already," said the manager. "Let me play it for you. It's called 'U'."

He the audio in the car and pushed a few buttons. A guitar intro started playing. It was catchy, but I couldn't help but notice -

"So... is this song being released without me in it?" I said. Even though I made it sound like I was indifferent, my heart sank.

"It hasn't been decided yet what's going to happen," he said. "But they should reach a decision by tomorrow."

I stayed silent. I couldn't believe this was happening and I was obviously angry, but I knew wasn't in the position to express that.

"Oh, and  few more things," he said. He glanced at me through the rearview mirror. "Make sure you don't get your hair cut without contacting the company. We'll take care of it as soon as we get everything arranged. Plus, you should be working out at least two hours a day with a private instructor until the debut. Your diet will also be tightly controlled until the comeback in three weeks."

It wasn't anything that I didn't expect, but all of those were also going to be added stress to what I already had. I had nodded in agreement, but internally, I was extremely worried. Was I going to be able to achieve all of this?

As I thought about this in silence, we had reached the SM building.

"You'll return with the rest of the boys to the dorm after practice. I'll be back to pick all of you up after practice," he said. This wasn't a question, more of an order.

"Yes, sir," I said. I got out of the van. "Thanks."

He nodded and seeing me enter the building, he drove off.