Chapter 9

Shared Memories

 

August 2009

After you heard the school bell ring signaling that everyone was already in class you peeked out of the bathroom. Once you saw that the hallway was empty you made your way to the back of the school where the running track was, you sat on the part of the bleachers that was shaded by the trees. You sighed and lie down on the bleachers, then you poked your side to check how badly you were hurt, but you flinched from the pain.

‘Shouldn’t have done that…’ you thought to yourself when you finally relaxed.

You laid there waiting for school to be over with, you were glad that no one has P.E. in the afternoon. You closed your eyes to get a bit of rest since you really had nothing to do.

“Shouldn’t you be in class?”

You jumped and sat straight up looking around to see who spoke to you, but you instantly regretted it when pain shot through your mid-section. You winced from the pain and took deep breaths to control yourself, then looked at the source of the voice.

“Omo are you okay?”

You nodded, “Shouldn’t you be in class as well Chunji?”

“Neh but I didn’t feel like going to math,” he laughed.

“I see you haven’t changed one bit in the past year~” you said and chuckled a bit but your mid-section started to hurt again so you quickly stopped.

“Are you sure you’re okay? Because it doesn’t seem like you are…” Chunji said eyeing you carefully instantly realizing you were definitely not telling him anything.

You nodded then he gently poked your side and you winced.

“Liar you’re hurt.”

“I-I’m fine.”

“No you’re not. What happened?” he looked at you softly feeling sad that you’ve only been back for a couple days and already got beaten up, he remembered that this was how it was when the two of you were in middle school.

You sighed, “Fine, I went back to the classroom to get my notebook before lunch and I was going to meet Sungyeol along with the rest of Infinite at their table to eat with them. But when I went back to get my notebook I was cornered by these three girls and they were yelling at me about taking their oppa from them… Well one claimed that Sungyeol was hers and that I should stay away from him. I was trying to tell them we’re just friends but they wouldn’t listen and they started beating me up…”

“BWOH?! WHO WERE THEY?!” Chunji stood in anger and disbelief at what you told him, you grabbed his hand and held it tightly.

“Chanhee-ah~ calm down okay? I’m fine it’s just a couple bruises that’s all okay?” you smiled reassuringly at him, he sighed and sat beside you again and hugged you.

“I’m sorry this happened to you…”

“Ani it’s nothing really just a couple of jealous girls” you chuckled softly hugging him back.

___

Sungyeol watched the clock slowly move, he wanted school to be over with so he could find you. He just knew something was up, he hadn’t known you for long but he knew you weren’t the type to just skip class because you didn’t want to be there.

Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock.

He watched the clock anxiously as the hands moved towards the time school would end. He tapped his pencil and fidgeted in his seat, ready to get out of that boring class.

Rrrriiiiinnnnnggggg~!

Finally the school bell rang signaling school was over, he quickly shoved his things in his backpack and ran out the back door. He walked through the hallways looking over the sea of students all flowing out of the classrooms hoping he would spot you, but he had no luck. He saw Myungsoo walk out of his class with Sungjong and he ran to them.

“Guys… does Heejin ever skip class?” he asked a bit of panic in his voice.

The two looked at each other then back at Sungyeol, “No she never skips class, heck she yells at us for even suggesting to skip… Wae?” Myungsoo tilted his head in confusion.

“She wasn’t in class.”

“Did she go to the health room?”

“No I just passed by there and there wasn’t anyone in there…”

“Maybe she went home sick or something, bro you gotta relax okay?” Myungsoo chuckled.

“B-but…”

“Come on she’ll probably be at home or if not she’ll be in school tomorrow.”

Sungyeol nodded and walked with them.

___

You and Chunji heard the bell ring, you stood up and stretched forgetting your mid-section was bruised.  You groaned and hugged your sides. Chunji stood quickly and looked at you.

“Are you okay?”

“Neh I’ll be fine just some bruises…”

He nodded, “Come on I’ll walk you home okay?”

You nodded in response. The two of you slowly made your way through the back door of the school, you looked over at Chunji and smiled seeing him carry your backpack for you, it reminded you of the old days when the two of you dated. You entered the building and saw that the halls were a complete ghost town, you and Chunji passed through the school and headed out the school gates.

He started walking towards your house, you chuckled, “You remember where my house is?”

“Of course, after all we did date for like 2 years before you left and we were friends before that~”

You smiled remembering all the time had spent with him. It was nice the two of you were really good friends, and then he asked you out one day surprising you completely. But sadly, you had ended it with him before you left. You felt horrible for doing so but you didn’t want him to wait for you while you were away. You weren’t even sure if you were going to come back at all, that is if you absolutely loved it in the states and wanted to continue your education there.

“So how was the states?”

“It was nice, but nothing like here.”

He chuckled and nodded, “Of course not.”

The two of you reached your house and he opened the front gate for you, you smiled and walked up to the door. He followed after you and waited for you to open the door. You put in the passcode for your house and opened the door, you looked around hoping your parents were there but as usual they were on business trips. You sighed slightly when you realized the house was empty. After knowing you for so long Chunji immediately caught on to the situation and he walked into your house.

“Y-yah what are you doing?”

“I’m going to keep you company while we wait for Dongwoo hyung and Myungsoo to show up,” he smiled and walked to your living room putting your backpack down by the couch.

“Wait they’re coming here?!”

“Of course don’t you know your best friends by now? If Sungyeol told them you weren’t in class they would rush over here in a heart beat to check on you.”

You opened your mouth to protest but realized he was correct so you shut your mouth. As if right on cue there was a frantic knocking on your door and you heard a bunch of whispers.

“And that is my cue to leave” Chunji chuckled standing up.

“You’re going already?”

“Neh your friends will swarm around you anyways,” he chuckled, “I remember the drill.”

You chuckled then nodded knowing he was right. Then you walked him to the door then hugged him before opening the door.

“Thanks.”

“For what?”

“For this afternoon.”

“Ani I’m always here for you,” he smiled that dazzling smile that always melted your heart and headed out the door.

Myungsoo, Sungjong, and Sungyeol blinked repeatedly seeing Chunji walk out of your house. Myungsoo and Sungjong looked at each other and then glanced at Sungyeol who was glaring at the back of Chunji’s head.

“Hi guys~ come in and I’ll answer your questions.”

They nodded and all walked in. You closed the door and turned to them.

“Want anything to eat?”

“Yah why weren’t you in class?”

“I-I wasn’t feeling so good…” you stuttered a bit avoiding their curious and concerned looks. Sungyeol was fuming but the scared look on your face softened him a bit.

“What was Chunji doing here?” Myungsoo asked.

“He walked me home, he found me laying on the bleachers and saw I wasn’t feeling too good so he brought me home,” you nodded still avoiding their gazes. Myungsoo and Sungjong knew something was up with you.

“Want something to eat guys?” you asked changing the subject quickly.

“Chips! Ramen!” Myungsoo and Sungjong nodded happily, you chuckled then walked off to the kitchen.

“I-I’m going to go help her…” Sungyeol said quickly following after you.

Myungsoo chuckled, “He so likes our Heejin.”

“Neh, it’s so obvious but he keeps denying it…”

Myungsoo chuckled, “Sungjong-ah do you think it’s happening to Heejin again?”

“You mean the bullying?”

“Neh.”

“I think so… she wouldn’t even look at us.”

“Should we tell the others?”

“Molla… we don’t know if it is happening or not.”