Chapter 10

Shared Memories

 

August 2009

You walked into the kitchen your heart still racing from when your friends had brought up the fact that you had skipped class. You took long steady breaths to calm yourself down. You were so caught up in your thoughts you didn’t even hear that Sungyeol was coming to help you.

“Hey~” he said trying to get your attention but you did not hear him.

“Hey~” he tried again walking closer but you still didn’t answer him, he chuckled softly to himself and walked up right behind you.

“Heejin-ah~”

You jumped at the sound of his voice behind you. You quickly turned around and came face to face with his chest. Your body froze as you looked up into his brown eyes that were staring down at you. You felt as though your heart was about to burst through your rib cage because of how close you were to him.

‘Aigoo… what’s wrong with me? H-how can my heart act like this around him?’

He chuckled and bent down to be face to face with you, “Yah pabo I’ve been calling you for a while and you never heard me at all?”

“M-mianhae~,” you said softly staring in to his eyes being mesmerized by them.

He stood back up and chuckled, then backed away. ‘Omo… her eyes…’ he thought to himself and took a couple deep breaths to calm his heart.

“You seriously couldn’t hear me calling you?”

“Aniyo… I guess I was just thinking too much,” you chuckled.

He laughed and nodded, “So what are we going to make?”

“Make?”

“Yeah you said you were going to make us snacks? …And I was going to help you?”

“OH RIGHT!” you laughed, “aigoo… um just go grab a bunch of ramen packets from the pantry and bring it here.”

He nodded and did as you said, while you got out a big pot and filled it with water. Then you carried it over to the stove and turned it on. Sungyeol brought over the packets and opened them one by one. While the two of you were waiting for the water to start boiling you hopped up onto the counter and sat there. Sunyeol took one of the packets and broke a piece of ramen off, then ate it.

You saw him do that and you gasped, “Yah we have to make the ramen first~!”

“But there is a lot of ramen to make~,” he nodded and pointed to the 4 other open packets on the counter.

“But you shouldn’t eat it uncooked…” you said frowning slightly.

“Wae I do this all the time at home?”

You blinked slightly surprised, “Why do you do that?”

“Because it tastes good.”

“Really?”

“You’ve never tried it uncooked?!”

You shook your head and his eyes widened, he quickly walked to you, “Chincha?!”

“Aniyo.”

He broke a piece off and put a little of the soup base powder on it then held it up to your mouth. You made a disgusted look not sure if you should try it or not. He smiled reassuringly at you and poked your lips with it.

“Come on I wouldn’t make you eat something disgusting~ try it please?”

You gave in and opened your mouth, he smiled brightly and fed it to you. You started to eat it, and to your amazement it tasted pretty good. Sungyeol stared at you trying to read your expression.

“So what do you think?”

“Its… pretty good”

He smiled brightly and jumped onto the counter to sit right next to you, then he broke off a piece for himself to eat. You smiled seeing how happy he was. He broke another small piece of ramen off and fed it to you, you ate it happily.

“You know class was so boring without you.”

“Really? Wae?”

“Because you weren’t there to talk to me.”

You blushed slightly at his comment then looked at the pot to see if the water was ready.

“Plus the teacher just taught us boring stuff as usual.”

You chuckled and got off the counter, “Water is ready let’s put the noodles in.”

He hopped off the counter and made his way over to you and helped you with finish the ramen. Myungsoo and Sungjong were by the door way of the kitchen peeking in on the two of you. They chuckled softly when they saw how the two of you were interacting with each other.

“They definitely like each other,” Sungjong whispered to Myungsoo.

He nodded in agreement and the two tip-toed back to the living room to wait for the two of you to bring the food. After you finished up the ramen you grabbed four bowls and four pairs of chopsticks and carried that out to the living room while Sungyeol carried the pot of ramen out. After you guys finished eating they hung out for a bit watching tv, then Myungsoo and Sungjong left. Sungyeol stayed back for a bit to give you the notes he took for math. After you copied down his notes you walked him to the door to say goodbye.

___

The next day you walked to school with Dongwoo, Myungsoo, and Sungjong just like normal. You entered the school gates and was immediately greeted by Woohyun, who hugged you tightly and had no intentions of letting you go until you had to go to class. You chuckled at his actions and hugged him back. Sungyeol walked up and immediately started glaring at Woohyun.

‘He is driving me crazy! Why does he always do that to Heejin?!’

Sunggyu pulled Woohyun off of you and he hugged you instead. You smiled and held on to Gyu tightly.

“Oppa~” you chuckled, “come on we have class.”

“I-” Sungyeol started but was cut off by Sunggyu.

“Come on I’ll walk you to class,” he said walking into the building with his arm drapped around your shoulders.

Sungyeol followed behind watching the two of you carefully, making sure Sunggyu didn’t pull anything. Sungyeol was fuming with anger and jealousy at the sight of Sunggyu’s arm around you even though he knew the two of you were best friends he just didn’t like the scene in front of him. Once you got to class Sunggyu kissed your forehead and waved goodbye before walking off to his class. You smiled waved then continued on into class.

The whole day passed as normal, you got no problems from the girls and you ate lunch peacefully by yourself outside. While Infinite sat inside the cafeteria eating and chatting Sungjong and Myungsoo had agreed to tell them what they thought might be going on.

“Guys I think Heejin is getting  bullied again…” Myungsoo stated.

“Really?” Hoya looked at Myungsoo.

“Neh because yesterday when we went to her house she couldn’t look at us when she told us where she was instead of in class.”

“What should we do hyung?” Sungjong looked at Sunggyu.

Sunggyu turned to Sungyeol, “You were the last one to see her yesterday before lunch, do you know what happened?”

“No I just remember her saying she’ll meet me in the cafeteria later after she grabbed her notebook from the classroom… then she wasn’t in math.”

“Hm…. Well I think we just have to be with her at all times until we find out who it is that is bullying her… Sungyeol you should keep an eye out around in class since you have every class with her.”

___

After school had finished you and Sungyeol decided to go from ramen. On the way there you two just talked about life in general, like why you went away for a year to study abroad and why you came back. Time seemed to fly by after school that day, you were kind of sad that you couldn’t get more time with Sungyeol. After you ate ramen he walked you home. You passed by street vendors that sold cute couple stuff and other cute accessories. Unfortunately for the both of you it seemed like too soon that you had arrived back home. He walked you up to the door and you thanked him while you unlocked the door.

“Thank you for the ramen.”

“Ani its not a problem,” he chuckled, “I should get going now…”

You nodded, “Okay I’ll see you later,” you smiled one last time.

You turned to close the door but he stopped you, “Hey Heejin-ah…”

You blinked at him, “Do you... You want to go on a da… um… want to go to the park with me tomorrow? There’s that end of summer festival thing and I was wondering if you want to go with me?”

“Oh sure! And the rest of Infinite is coming too right?”

“W-well I was hoping it was just the two… just the two of us?”

“Like a date?”

“Yeah…” he looked down nervously.

Your heart skipped a beat, “Sure.”

He looked up at you a bit surprised, “Huh?”

“It’s a date. What time do you want to meet?”

“I’ll be here at 9 am?”

“Okay~” you smiled brightly and closed the door.

___

Present Day

“Ah so that’s how you guys met…” Dongwoo nodded.

“Wait is this how you guys started dating?! Without us even knowing?!” Woohyun gasped when Sungyeol told the story.

“Neh~” he chuckled.

“I had a feeling back then that you liked her, especially when you would give death glares to Woohyun hyung whenever he was lovey dovey with her,” Myungsoo laughed.

“So when we saw you guys at the end of summer festival… that was your first date?” Sunggyu asked.

“Neh.”

“That’s why you two were so awkward,” Hoya laughed.

“Hyung tell us about your first date since we saw you guys at the end of the day~” Sungjong begged.

The constant questions and intrigued faces of the members of Infinite kept Sungyeol’s mind off of the worst case scenarios that ran through his mind. He was happy to have friends like them who did anything to keep his mind off of what was happening at the moment. But once in a while his mind would drift and think about how you were doing in the surgery, he would glace at the emergency room door to see if the doctor was coming to update them on your condition.

“Arasso so like I said earlier I would be at her house at 9 am…”