Chapter 8

Shared Memories

 

August 2009

The next day you woke up smiling. You looked over at your desk and saw the shirt sitting there. You smiled and walked over to it, you picked it up and looked at it.

‘I can’t believe he actually replaced it~’ you chuckled to yourself, and then went to get ready for school. You went downstairs and made yourself a bowl of cereal to eat before the boys showed up. As if on cue the moment you started eating there was a rapid knocking on your door. You looked at the time, it wasn’t even close to the time you normally would walk to school. You groaned as you walked to the door, instantly regretting that you opened it when six anxious boys darted into your house.

“WHY ARE ALL OF YOU HERE?!”

“Why didn’t you come with us for bubble tea?!” Sungjong said worriedly.

“WEHRE DID YOU GO AFTER SCHOOL?!” Sunggyu said frustrated.

“I-I went to eat ramen.”

“Bwoh?! Why couldn’t you tell us?!” Dongwoo huffed.

“We could have went with you!” Hoya pouted beside Dongwoo.

“I went with someone” you nodded.

Their eyes looked like it was about to pop out of their sockets, “Dugu?!” Woohyun asked surprised, “who took my girlfriend out on a date?!”

You chuckled, “It wasn’t a date~.”

“Then what was it?” Woohyun pouted, “you didn’t even tell me about it…”

“Aigoo I went to eat ramen wit-” you were cut off by a knock on the front door.

“Is that my replacement?!” Woohyun and the rest of Infinite rushed to the front door, you followed them a bit curious as to who it was as well. Your eyes went wide when they opened the door.

“Sungyeol?” they all asked at the same time seeing him standing there.

“U-uh Hi” he smiled sheepishly and waved to the members.

“Why are you here?” Myungsoo eyed him carefully.

“I-I was just dropping by to say hello to Heejin.”

“How do you know she lives here?”

“Well you see he-” you were cut off by Dongwoo who covered you mouth with his hand.

“I walked her home yesterday,” Sungyeol said confidently.

“You walked my girlfriend home?! Wae?!” Woohyun spoke up.

“She’s your girlfriend?!” Sungyeol asked surprised.

“ANIYO!” you yelled, “he just always says that… AND I WAS EATING RAMEN WITH SUNGYEOL AFTER SCHOOL YESTERDAY!” you confessed to the boys.

They all blinked surprised at your sudden outburst, they were shocked into silence. All of them were trying to process the words that just come out of your mouth. They were all confused as to why it was you hung out with Sungyeol yesterday and why he came over this morning because you hated him. They knew you questioned his existence on earth after how much of a jerk he was to you. While they were in shock you walked back to the kitchen to finish eating; then Sungyeol, wanting to avoid their questions, followed after you. He smiled and sat across from you in the kitchen. You chuckled seeing him smiling like a fool in front of you.

“What is that grin for?” you chuckled softly and lightly kicked him under the table.

“Did you see their faces?” he chuckled softly with you, “why were they so shocked?”

“Oh… well I kinda hated you after you ruined my favorite shirt, but after yesterday I realized you’re not so bad as I thought you to be.”

“Oh really?” he grinned.

You were slightly captivated by his childish grin and playfully eyes, he looked down at your food continuing to eat avoiding his question. He laughed and looked around the kitchen, and took in his surroundings. He opened his mouth to tell you something but just as he was about to speak the rest of Infinite barged into the kitchen and sat at the table, eating their food quietly; the whole time questions ramming around the inside of their heads, not really sure how the two of you became friends. Time passed quickly and the 8 of you cleaned up the dishes and headed to school as a big group.

Along the way all of you were laughing and joking around together. The Infinite members got their questions answered on the way to school. Once inside the school gates the members started going off to their classes, Sunggyu put his arm around you and started walking with you to your class. Sungyeol was slightly jealous seeing that but he had to keep in mind that the two of you were just really close friends. He followed close behind and just observed the two of you quietly.

Once the three of you reached the class Sunggyu hugged you goodbye, then both you and Sungyeol walked into the class together talking. But the moment you walked in you could feel a bunch of eyes watching you. You dared to peel your eyes away from Sungyeol to look around the class, but immediately regretted it when you saw all the death glares from the girls. If looks could kill, you’d be violently murdered multiple times.

You quickly walked away from Sungyeol and sat in your seat, he blinked a bit confused by your sudden actions, but he sat in his seat next to you. He tried to talk to him but you looked away, this confused him even more. He looked around the class and all the girls smiled and waved at him. He blinked and ignored them, then sat back just as the teacher walked in and began the lesson.

___

The girls saw the two of you walking into the class talking and laughing together.

“Who does she think she is? First she ignores him and now she starts talking to him?!” one girl whispered out of a group towards the front.

“Why is she talking to Sungyeol Oppa?!” another huffed.

“Looks like we have to put her in her place, no one but me can be with him” the leader glared at you as you looked out the window to avoid angry stares.

___

Classes passed by pretty fast, you could just feel all the glares that girls gave you for walking with Sungyeol. But you brushed it off hoping that they wouldn’t bother you. You kept talking and laughing with Sungyeol as the two of you walked to lunch together to go meet the rest of Infinite.

“Oh shoot! I forgot something in the classroom!” you face palmed.

“Do you want me to come with you?”

“Ani just go I’ll meet you there okay?”

He nodded and walked away, “I’ll leave first then~”

You waved then quickly walked back to the classroom. You went for your desk and saw your notebook there. You sighed in relief then retrieved it and put it in your backpack. You then turned around and started to head to the door when a group of girls blocked your way.

“Oh… excuse me~” you said trying to squeeze your way through the three girls.

One pushed you back making you fall on your , “You’re not going anywhere~” one said her voice layered with anger which you could hear right off the bat.

You blinked getting a bit scared by how they stared at you, then as soon as you go up one girl grabbed your collar and started yelling in your face, “WHY ARE YOU TOYING WITH SUNGYEOL OPPA! HE’S MINE!!!”

You blinked at them, “I’m not toying with him!”

“THEN LEAVE HIM ALONE!” with those last words the leader pushed you backwards making you fall back into a desk chair and fall to the ground after tripping over the leg. They continued to hit you once you were on the ground, mainly the leader because she was so convinced that Sungyeol was hers. You just curled into a ball and took the hits because you really didn’t know how to fight. After they thought you had enough they straightened their uniforms, fixed each other’s hair and went to lunch.

You lay there in shock at what happen, plus you were sore all over your body from their continuous beating. You tried to be strong and not cry, but the last time you were bullied this bad was in middle school and that was when Sunggyu became your friend. You finally had gotten the strength to sit up, then used the chair to help you get up. You knew the bruises would appear soon and the members of Infinite would flip out when they see them, so wanting to avoid their questions and protective looks you hid in the bathroom. You didn’t even bother going to lunch.

___

“Sungyeol where is Heejin?” Dongwoo asked looking around, he already knew that the two of you had every single class together.

“She said she forgot her notebook in class and went to go get it, but I offered to go with her she just shooed me away…”

They all started looking around the cafeteria, their heads on a swivel looking left and right for you, but they couldn’t find you anywhere. After they finished eating they went outside to where you would normally sit but there was no sign that you had been there. They all glanced at each other worriedly.

“Maybe she didn’t feel like eating anymore…” Sungjong tried to give positive scenarios, but deep inside all of them knew something was wrong.

They started to get worried and tried searching the school for you but found you nowhere, the group of boys stopped in front of a girls bathroom near where your last class was. They all looked at each other and then decided not to go in there. Instead of checking they all separated and went to their classes.

___

Sungyeol was the last one to arrive in class because he continued looking for you a bit more. He heard the warning bell ring and he walked off to class. As he walked to class he bit his bottom lip nervously hoping you were already in class waiting for class to start, he started walking faster in hopes that he would see you. But the moment he walked through the threshold of the classroom door he saw that your seat was completely empty. His mood instantly dropped and he walked to his desk slowly while the group of three girls that had beaten you tried to get his attention. He didn’t even notice them because he was too busy worrying about where you were.

The girls seeing that he ignored them sighed and pouted. Throughout the whole class Sungyeol would look over to your seat expecting to receive a note from you, because that’s what the two of you normally did during class, but he was let down every time when he turned to see an empty seat.