Chapter 5

Shared Memories

 

August 2009

You sat there trying to ignore him while eating your lunch. He knew you didn’t want to talk to him so he sat there in silence just glancing at you every so often, observing you. Even though he couldn’t say what he wanted to say to you, he was just happy to be there. To him if felt like the world around the two of you stopped, he couldn’t believe you didn’t try to run away you just sat there. You could feel his gaze on you while you ate. You heart was doing weird flips and skipping beats in your chest, you weren’t even sure why it was doing that. You sighed and lightly hit your chest where your heart was. Sungyeol saw you do that and tilted his head slightly confused, then when he opened his mouth to speak he remembered you couldn’t hear him. He got out a piece of paper and wrote on it.

He tapped your shoulder, you looked up at him to see him holding a piece of paper up and you read it.

Are you okay?

You nodded and went back to eating. He smiled to himself in victory that you actually acknowledged him for the first time that day. He folded his arms on the table and rested his chin on his arms. He was content with life in that moment, he couldn’t ask for a better way to spend lunch. Before he knew it the bell rang signaling it was time for class, he tapped you and held up another sign.

Time for class.

You blinked and nodded, then put away your headphones, “Gomawo…” you said softly and picked up your trash from lunch. Sungyeol quickly took it from you and went to throw it away. You were a bit taken aback by his actions but stayed where you were standing to thank him for throwing away your trash. He was smiling to himself when he turned to walk back and saw you still standing there. But his smile soon faded when he saw another guy walk up to you. He froze in his tracks as he saw a loving smile spread across your face, the way you looked at this guy made his heart hurt. He looked closer at the guy and saw it was Chunji, the school’s ex-playboy. When Sungyeol first arrived at the school a year ago he had gotten the run down on how the school worked from Myungsoo. He remembered him mentioning that Chunji was an ex-playboy. Myungsoo had told him that he used to be a playboy and mess with girls, but then he fell in love with Myungsoo’s best friend since childhood and she changed him. He watched as you walked away smiling at Chunji the way he wanted you to smile at him.

___

You waited there for Sungyeol to come back so you could thank him. But you felt this tap on your shoulder and turned around to see Chunji smiling at you.

“So it is true, you’re back~” he said smiling softly at you.

“Yup I’m back” you said softly.

He smiled lovingly at you and hugged you, “I missed you Heejin~”

“I missed you too~”

He pulled away slightly and hooked a strand of hair behind your ear, “So how was the states?”

“It was alright” you nodded smiling at him.

“So what’s your next class?”

“Um I think it’s math.”

“Oh I have that too, let’s go I’ll walk with you.”

“Okay you go first I have to do something really quick and I’ll catch up.”

You quickly pulled out a paper and wrote on it and left it at the table for Sungyeol, then ran to walk with Chunji to math.

___

After you and Chunji walked into the building, he walked to the table to grab his backpack and saw a paper sitting on the table. At first he was just going to walk away but decided it would be littering if he just left it there. He picked it up and looked at it, his eyes widened when he saw what was written on it.

Thank you Sungyeol for throwing my stuff away ^_^

He slowly walked into the building smiling like a fool as he stared at the note. Dongwoo and Hoya saw Sungyeol enter the building. They walked up to him to ask him what was going on.

“Sungyeol!” they shouted as they approached him.

He quickly folded up the note carefully and shoved it in his pocket, “Oh Hoya, Dongwoo hyung” he smiled and waved.

“Where were you at lunch?” Dongwoo asked eyeing him carefully.

“O-oh I decided to eat outside today.”

“But you never eat outside, you always say the bugs bother you” Hoya said as he, too, eyed Sungyeol.

“U-uh I-I wanted to get some fresh air, oh look class is about to start I should head to math” he waved and quickly walked away.

“He’s acting really strange lately…” Hoya said.

“Yeah… Do you think that he-?”

“It’s a possibility…”

___

Sungyeol quickly walked away from Hoya and Dongwoo, and pulled out the note again. Even though it was a simple thank you note it made his day better, he forgot all about you being taken away from him by Chunji. As he approached his next class he folded up the note and put it in his pocket. He walked into the class smiling brightly but soon faded when he saw you sitting next to Chunji, but luckily for him there was an empty seat on the other side of you. He took his seat just as the teacher walked in.

Throughout math you couldn’t help but smile when you looked over and saw Chunji. You haven’t talked to him that whole year you were away and you were glad you got to see him again. But you could feel another set of eyes on you the whole time, you turned to the other side of you to see Sungyeol. Time passed by fairly quickly during math, you actually survived the whole class without having a piece of paper being thrown in front of you while you were taking notes. You looked over at Sungyeol and for once this whole day he seemed to be paying attention in class. He didn’t even look at you, it was kind of weird, you had gotten so use to his antics that now that he wasn’t bothering you, you felt like something was missing. You tried not to let it bother you but you’re mind for some reason wouldn’t let the idea go. You kept glancing over at him to see if you would catch him looking but you never did.

‘Why do I even care if he bothers me or not?!’ you thought to yourself trying to pull your attention back to the teacher.

___

He sat there in class pretty content with life. He didn’t even feel like making an effort to look over at you or try to get your attention. This was because you had written him a note earlier. He took it out and stared at it for a while then quickly put it in his pocket when he felt your eyes on him. His heart raced when he side eyed you and saw you glancing at him.

After class had finished he packed up, but because he had gotten use to packing up so fast he realized that he finished packing up before you. He felt awkward and tried to make like he was doing something so he could walk out with you. Once he saw you finished packing up he nonchalantly walked beside you as you walked out. You chuckled softly noticing him beside you but decided to just ignore him. The two of you walked through the hall and exited the building, you ran ahead of him which took him by surprise. He watched you run up behind Sunggyu and back hug him. His eyes widened in horror.

‘BWOH?! IS SHE DATING SUNGGYU HYUNG?!?!?!?!’ he screamed in his mind, his own hyung was dating the girl that he liked.

He couldn’t believe it, he watched the scene played out in front of him. He saw Sunggyu turn around and smile at you then he hugged you back and rested his chin on top of your forehead. He shook his head trying to get rid of those images he just witnessed.

He wasn’t sure what he was going on but he decided to ask his other friends to see what was going on between the two of you. Therefore, he went to Dongwoo’s house.