Chapter 4

Shared Memories

 

August 2009

Beep. Beep. Beep.

You groaned as you were being awakened by your annoying alarm clock. You rolled over and hit the snooze button so you could sleep in just a little bit longer. But, unfortunately, as soon as you were about to drift off to sleep your alarm clock started beeping again. You hit it in frustration and rolled out of bed heaving a sigh. You got out of bed and went to get dressed for your first day back at school. Since it was fall and the weather was starting to get colder you wore your uniform sweater instead of the blazer. Once you finished getting dressed you grabbed your backpack and headed down stairs.

“Umma? Appa?” you called out as you walked through the living room to get to the kitchen.

You looked around but there was no one there, you frowned slightly.

‘It’s just like always, gone for work… nothing has changed in the past year’ you thought as you walked in the kitchen and saw a note on the fridge.

Heejin,

We are terribly sorry that we couldn’t be here for you first day back in school, and we didn’t get to see you much yesterday. But your father and I had to go on a business trip to China. We’ll be back in a few weeks.

Love you

“A few weeks?!” you stared in disbelief at the note, and threw it away.

You were so angry that your parents just up and left for yet another business trip. You walked out of the house and walked down the stairs, but you were greeted by a smiling group of boys.

“Heejin noona!” the youngest one, Sungjong, beamed.

You smiled when he pulled you into a hug.

“I missed you so much noona~!”

“Yah let her go it’s my turn to hug her!” Dongwoo stomped like a little kid.

Myungsoo stood beside and laughed watching the situation, “Hyung you’re making a scene.”

Other students that were walking past watched, but they never judged because they knew who the three of you were. In fact for as long as you could remember you and the six boys, they called themselves infinite, was at the top of the school. Everyone liked you guys because you were friendly and nice.

After Sungjong finally let go of you, Dongwoo hugged you and so did Myungsoo. After that the four of you headed to school. You were kind of nervous, not sure what kind of things changed at the school. You linked arms with Myungsoo and Sungjong and walked through the school gates.

“Yah~! Make room for me~” Dongwoo complained as the three of you just laughed and kept walking.

You entered the school’s building and were greeted by the rest of Infinite. Smiles instantly appeared on their faces when they saw you.  You were instantly pulled into a hug by Woohyun, and then you continued hugging Hoya and Sunggyu.

“It’s so good to have you back wifey~” Woohyun cooed, you just chuckled at his greasiness.

“Yah she’s mine!” Dongwoo put his arms around you protectively.

Sunggyu being the eldest of the boys pulled you away and started walking down the hall with you heading to class, “So what’s your first class?”

You laughed hearing a commotion behind you, “Um I have history.”

He nodded and walked you to class, when you reached there you got a bit nervous. Sunggyu being one of your closest friends since middle school could feel that you were nervous and put his hands on your shoulders.

“I know it’s your first day back, but trust me all these people here know you and won’t mess with you. You’ll be fine okay?” he gently placed a kiss on your forehead and pushed you into the class. Sunggyu was like your older brother/appa sometimes.

You walked into class smiling brightly at the comforting words Sunggyu told you, but your smile immediately faded when you saw who exactly was in your class.

___

Sungyeol was too distracted that he didn’t even notice Sunggyu, Woohyun, and Hoya wave him over. He couldn’t stop thinking about you and the day he spent with you… well the day he spent following you. Somehow every time his mind would wander to you his heart would skip a beat. He walked to his first class which was history and took his seat. He sat there deep in thought, but he was pulled out of his thoughts when he heard footsteps. He turned to the door to see who it was coming from. He rubbed his eyes to make sure he was seeing correctly, it was you.

‘Why is she here? Is she in my class?’ he thought excitedly as his heart skipped a beat… well maybe two.

___

You’re eyes widened seeing the annoying Sungyeol sitting in class. You heaved a sigh and looked around for another empty seat but there was only one left, and it was right next to him. You groaned and carefully made your way over to the empty seat, you sat down without making eye contact with him. He turned to say something to you, and reached in his bag remembering he still had the shirt, but just as he was about to speak the teacher walked in and he could no longer talk.

You sat through history feeling the weight of his eyes on you but tried to focus on the lesson. It was really hard, because you mind kept wandering to him but you would immediately shake away any thoughts you had of him. You were taking notes in your notebook when a piece of paper appeared in front of you. You blinked a few times when it registered what it actually was.

You opened it and read:

Hey Heejin, I have something to tell you after class.

You looked over at Sungyeol for the first time since you entered class and glared at him. He looked at you and nodded towards the paper hinting that you should write your response there. You instead crumpled it and threw it at him while the teacher wasn’t looking. You smiled victoriously when you saw Sungyeol’s shocked look, then focused back on the teacher. But, not long after that another piece of paper appeared in front of you. You sighed quietly and read it again.

Yah what was that for!

You wrote back:

I don’t want to hear what you have to say!

Sungyeol:

Can you just give me a chance?!

You:

I did! But you just annoyed me, you’re annoying me now and I’m trying to focus!

You threw it at him hitting him square in the temple. He jumped a bit surprised when it hit him. His face fell when he read your reply; he knew he screwed up when he yelled at you yesterday. Normally he wouldn’t have cared if a girl was annoyed with him, but when you said it… well when you wrote it he felt a pang of sadness hit him. He wanted, no he needed you to not be annoyed with him. Throughout the remainder of the class he fought with all his might to not care but he just couldn’t let it go.

You watched the clock waiting for class to be over. But it seemed as if the clock slowed down and was trying to torture you as you sat there next to the most annoying guy you have ever met. He ruined your favorite shirt, followed you around, and yet he made your heart do flips which you never really understood why it did that.

“Alright class just read chapter 2 in your text books and answer the questions at the end. I will see you all tomorrow” the teacher said.

You immediately packed your stuff and ran out of the class, not even giving Sungyeol a chance to say anything. You quickly made your way to your next class which was English. You sighed in relief and sat down in a seat by the windows, you were sad that you didn’t have any classes with Dongwoo, Woohyun, or Hoya since you were all in the same grade. Sungjong and Myungsoo were a grade before you guys and Sunggyu was a grade above you guys. You sat back in your chair and relaxed a bit as students started piling into the class. A few of them said hi to you and welcomed you back to school, a couple asked you how it was studying abroad in the states. It was soon time for class to start and there was an empty seat next to you. You looked at the door curious if there was anyone else coming into the class, but your mouth dropped when you saw Sungyeol enter the doorway.

He saw you and smiled brightly, he was so happy to see you in another class with him that he practically floated to the empty seat next to you. You sighed and looked out the window ignoring him. This class passed by fairly quickly, Sungyeol kept trying to get your attention but failed. You had two more classes before lunch, you ran to both of them only to get disappointed to see Sungyeol walking in last. Finally it was lunch and you walked out to the cafeteria. Sungyeol quickly packed his bags and followed you.

“Heejin-ah let’s have lunch together~” he said smiling as he walked beside you.

“No.”

“Well you have no choice, I’m going to eat with you, since you’re new here.”

You shook your head when you heard the words new here, “Yah I am not new I have gone to this school before, I just returned from studying a year abroad in the states!”

You ran off trying to lose him in the crowd of students, but you had no luck since he was really tall he could see over most of the students. He followed you, students thought it was cute that he was following you around. You got your lunch and decided to go eat outside because you wanted to be alone, Sungyeol followed behind you like a puppy. You sat down on a table that was under a tree, you started eating. Sungyeol smiled brightly and sat across from you. You immediately pulled out your headphones and phone, music so you didn’t have to talk to him as you ate.

___

“Where is noona?” Myungsoo looked around the cafeteria looking for you.

“Oh there she is!” Sungjong pointed, they were all just about to wave at you when they saw your annoyed look. They all watched you carefully as you got your lunch, then headed outside. They already knew that when you went outside you wanted to be alone, but what the saw after you left caught their attention.

“Is that Sungyeol?” Hoya asked as they saw him follow you outside.

“Yeah it is” Sunggyu said tilting his head slightly confused.

“Oh no…” Dongwoo bit his bottom lip.

“What? What’s going on?” Woohyun said turning to him.

“Well you see yesterday, they kinda ran into each other… Yeolie accidentally ruined that shirt we gave her Myungsoo… She’s pissed/irritated with him, and he’s trying to apologize to her…”

“Oh no… So she doesn’t like him?” Myungsoo’s eyes widened.

“How are we going to tell her he’s our friend?” Sungjong asked.

“The real question is how are we going to tell both of them that we’re friends with them…”

“Wait, Dongwoo, so you’re saying neither of them know we’re friends with them?” Sunggyu asked.

“No… I tried yesterday but she stormed off before I could tell her, and when I tried to explain to Yeolie why she was mad at him for ruining her shirt and that she was our friend he ran after her…”