Chapter 13

Shared Memories

 

September 2009

You weren’t really bothered by those girls for the past few weeks but there wasn’t a single moment when one of your friends weren’t with you, well except for wen you went to the bathroom. Every day you spent with Sungyeol the more you realized your feelings for him were real. He was always by your side and it made you feel safe.

___

During lunch you and Sungyeol were left alone because Sunggyu and Dongwoo were on a field trip for a class and the rest decided to eat a quick lunch then go to the library to work on their history project. The two of you decided it would be nice to eat outside and enjoy the last of the lingering summer weather before the autumn chill sets in.

"Wah it’s so nice outside~" you said smiling and stretching a bit after finishing your lunch.

Sungyeol smiled and looked at you, “Neh it is."

You smiled at him happily, “Did you finish the homework for math?"

"Neh I did," he smiled and nodded.

You smiled and looked at the time on your phone, “We have a lot of time tip class starts."

"Chincha?"

You nodded and chuckled showing him your phone so he could see the time.

"Wow you’re right!" he laughed, “hey are we gonna get ramen after school today?"

"Um… sure if Sungjong doesn’t want to get bubble tea today," you smiled and nodded.

The bell rang and the two of you walked back to the school building, then headed to class. 

____

Math passed by fast and that was a good thing. You and Sungyeol packed your things and you walked to his desk to wait for him. You looked around the class as students walked out and froze when you saw the girls that bullied you weeks ago and told you to stay away from Sungyeol. They saw you standing next to him and started sending you death glares, your breathing hitched in your throat. 

"Heejin~"

You were so scared that you didn’t even dare look away or respond to Sungyeol when he called you. 

"Heejin-ah?" he tried again, still no response.

He stepped closer to you and saw you staring in a direction. He followed where you were staring and saw a group of three girls glaring straight at you. He glanced back at you stepping closer to see your face and saw how frightened you looked. He grabbed your hand making you jump and look at him, he smiled warmly at you making you feel safer and relaxed.

"Come on~" he said tugging your hand lightly, you nodded and followed him out of the classroom.

The two of you walked out of the school building and saw your group of friends standing outside. You two immediately let go of each others hands so they wouldn’t notice.

"Heejin~!" Woohyun grinned and walked up to you wrapping his arms around you, “I missed my lovely girlfriend."

You chuckled and tried to squirm out of his grip but you couldn’t so you just let him hug you, “You did?"

"Of course!!! I didn’t get to see you all day~" he pouted making you laugh.

"Aigoo~"

Sungyeol glared at Woohyun, this signaled Sunggyu to pry Woohyun off of you. Then Sunggyu smiled at you sweetly, “So how was school?"

"Boring…"you replied then the image of the three girls popped back into your mind making you shudder, but you shook the thought away so you wouldn’t worry your friends.

Sungyeol noticed the hint of fear cross your expression and stepped closer to you, but even though he seen the fear leave your expression he knew something was up and it had something to do with those three girls he saw earlier. 

"Are we going to get bubble tea today or ramen?" you looked asking your group of friends.

"How about we get dukkbokki?" Myungsoo asked.

"Oh that sounds really good right now~" Dongwoo agreed.

"Looks like we’re having dukkbokki!"

The eight of you headed out of the school gates and walked down the street soon to find a food cart. The minute you guys walked up to the cart you could smell the spices of the dukkbokki making your mouth water. 

"Ahjumma can we get two orders of dukkbokki?" you asked smiling at the lady, she nodded.

Then the eight of you pulled together three tables and eight chairs sitting down to wait for your food. You sat between Woohyun and Sunggyu and Sungyeol sat across from you. 

"How was your field trip? Where did you guys even go?" you asked looking at Dongwoo.

"It was okay we just went to a museum… nothing interesting," he shrugged and scrunched his nose.

Buzz. Buzz.

Sunggyu jumped at the sudden vibration from his phone, he pulled it out and saw that it was a text from Sungyeol. He looked up at Sungyeol and tilted his head in confusion opening his mouth to say something when Sungyeol nodded his head towards Sunggyu’s phone to read it.

Sunggyu pursed his lips together and looked down at his phone to read the text:

We need to talk after we take Heejin home… tell everyone to meet at my house.

Sunggyu looked up at Sungyeol and nodded. Then the ahjumma brought the two bowls of dukkbokki with a bunch of chopsticks. You handed out the sets of chopsticks and all of you began to eat.

"Wah~ this is delicious ahjumma!" Dongwoo called stuffing his face with rice cakes while the rest of you nodded in agreement. 

____

Once everyone finished eating the dukkbokki you stood up and stretched a bit, “I’m so full~"

The rest of the group nodded.

"Sungjong-ah let’s go~" you said.

"O-" 

"I’ll take you home Heejin. I think they had something to do, right?" Sungyeol said cutting off Sungjong then gave the rest of the group a look hinting at he wanted to walk you.

"N-" Woohyun started but cut off when Myungsoo elbowed him discreetly under the table.

Sunggyu immediately got what Sungyeol was trying to do, “Yeah we have to go study for a test and I said that everyone can work on their history project at my house. Plus I can help them."

"But…" You started then nodded, “arasso~ work hard" you smiled then turned to Sungyeol, “let’s go."

The members chuckled to themselves as you and Sungyeol left. The two of you were silent as you walked.

"Want to walk through the park?"

"Sure," you nodded.

You smiled as you walked through the park with him. It was a nice day, kids ran past the two of you rushing to the playground and there were people jogging through the park. You guys walked past the fountain where a bunch of kids were playing, you also passed a woman selling a bunch of couple shirts. You kept walking through the park and up a hill through a path with trees lining the sides and a bench sat alone at the top of the hill. As you walked through close to the bench a few people passed on their bikes and Sungyeol quickly pulled you close to make sure you wouldn’t get hit by them. You looked at him confused by what he did.

"Wouldn’t want a biker hitting you and spilling stuff on you," he grinned.

You chuckled realizing where in the park you were, “You remember that?"

"Of course that’s when I fell-," he coughed, “I mean that’s where we first met."

You laughed and nodded, “I was so pissed off at you for ruining my first gift from my best friends."

"Yeah…" he chuckled sitting on the bench.

"I’m sorry for being like that… it’s kinda silly now that I think about it…"

"It’s okay… We probably wouldn’t be this close if that didn’t happen and…"he trailed off at the end.

"And what?"

"I-It’s nothing."

"No, tell me please~"

"I told you it’s nothing… It doesn’t matter."

"But now I’m curious," you whined pouting cutely at him.

"You really want to know that badly?"

You nodded.

He took a deep breath and turned to you, he gently grabbed your hand holding it, “Kang Heejin… When we first met there was something about you that just made me curious about you, plus I didn’t want you to hate me. Normally I wouldn’t have cared, but this time I did…"

You looked at him wondering what he was doing, but his words were nice.

"I didn’t even realize it at first why my heart would race or skip a beat or even why i get so angry when Woohyun gets all cozy with you… but I finally figured out why I feel that way… Heejin-ah~"

"Hm?"

"I like you. A lot."

"Y-you like me?"

He nodded, “I do."

You grinned and could feel your cheeks flush red, “S-Sungyeol…"

"You don’t have to say anything if you don’t feel the same way and-"

"I like you too," you cut him off smiling brightly.

"You do?"

You chuckled and nodded, “I didn’t realize it at first either."

He grinned happily and wrapped his arms around you in a hug.

____

"Is that Sungyeol and Heejin?"

"I think so."

"UGH! SHE’S GOING TO GET IT ON MONDAY! let’s go girls."