Chapter 16

She Is Not My Protector!

"Hey sweetheart" Siwoo approached Junka and pecked a kiss on her lips when he saw her walking toward the school gate. Junka looked up at him and met his eyes. She put a weak smile on her face. From that smile, Siwoo could sense that there were something wrong with her so he asked, "Are you okay?"

"Nothing" Junka said bluntly and continued her walk, leaving Siwoo behid. 

Siwoo's eyes widened as Junka walked passed him. She wasn't being as what she used to. He knew that Junka hated it when he being all romantic to her in front of the public but she never said it. In fact, she will rejected his kisses and hugs with her pampered voice. This time, she was acting coldly towards him. He looked at her and wondered why she was acting cold early in the morning towards him. "Junka yah! Wait for me!" Siwoo shouted but Junka seemed to ignore it.

 

The bell rang indicates the school period was over. Junka quickly put her books inside her bag. Siwoo turned his head towards Junka and he let out a sigh. He then looked around the class until it was half empty with people. He then looked back at Junka and slowly put his head on Junka's shoulder. Junka was surprised by Siwoo's sudden action. She rolled her eyes and turned her head to Siwoo. Their eyes met. Siwoo was smiling at her but there was no sign of smile from Junka.

"Seriously? I don't like it when you do this in front of many people Kim Taemin" Junka warned him.

She sounded serious and there was no tone of playing around or being pampered. He pouted and slowy lifted his head off her shoulder. He then start putting all the books inside his bag. He didn't know what was wrong with her but he didn't want to ask her. He changed the topic instead. "What do you want to do after school?"

"I don't know" Junka answered lazily, zipping her bag.

"Well. Maybe we can grab some ice cream" Siwoo suggested.

Junka shook her head. "I have something else to do. I gotta go now. Bye" Junka got up from her seat and dashed to the exit of the class.

Siwoo was left bewildered. He blinked his eyes few times, didn't believe that Junka left him. He quickly put the rest of his books inside his bag and zipped the bag. He decided to follow where Junka was going. He knew that he knew Junka so well that Junka wouldn't ditch him like that. He quickly ran out of the class, down the stairs and headed to the front gate. He saw Junka was still in the school compund. A smile curved on his face because he was relieve he doesn't have to run so far to chase her. Not long after that, he saw a guy was running towards Junka and hugged her from the back. 

He wanted to run towards Junka too and stopped the guy from hugging her but when Junka turned her body to the guy, she was smiling. A wide and cheerful smile was curved on her face. It made him stop to see that Junka was happy to be hugged by that guy and surprisingly he knew who was that guy. He was Yu Barom. The guy that Junka used to love before she met Siwoo. He was standing there, startled and speechless to see Junka was very happy to hug and laugh with Rome in front of the public. He stood there, doing nothing. His feet was like it was glued to the ground. He couldn't even move an inch. He just stared at how happy Junka was with Rome. She didn't mind when Rome hugged her in front of the public. She didn't care when Rome kissed her forehead in front of the public. He doubted her now. 'Lee Junka. Is she really in love with me or is she suffering to be with me?' he thought.

Not long after that, suddenly Rome linked his arm with Junka and they were linking arms heading to somewhere which Siwoo definitely have no idea. He followed them anyway. Surprisingly, he had a pair of sunglasses and a cap inside his bag and he was wearing it. He tried to follow them carefully so they wouldn't see him following them. He hid behind the pole, behind the dustbin whenever he thought one of them were looking at back. 

They stopped at one of the coffee shops available near their school area. Junka and Rome first entered the coffee shop. When they entered, Junka sat at one of the tables while Rome headed to the counter to order for their coffee. Siwoo entered after that. He was walking slowly behind one of the big man who was entering the coffee shop as well. He sat at one of the coffee tables. There was a newspaper on the table. He quickly took it and pretended he was reading it. He could clearly see them from where he sat.

Not long after that, Rome came to Junka with coffee in both his hands. They were chatting and laughing. Unfortunately Siwoo had no idea what they were talking or laughing about. What he knew was, everytime he saw Junka laughed, it made him smiles. Even though she was with someone else but he was happy as long as Junka happy. 

Junka sirped her coffee out of her cup. There was some whipped cream left on her lips. From that instant, Siwoo knew what was gonna happen next. Rome was already reaching out his hand to Junka's face and his was already lifted off his chair. Siwoo shook his head. He would never gonna let anyone other than him to kiss Lee Junka. He quickly jumped off his chair and dashed to their table. He grabbed Rome's collar and landed a fist on Rome's face. 

It was a strong fist that even the judo champion fell on the ground and spat blood. Junka got up from her chair. She kneeled beside Rome while helping him to stand up. The situation inside the cafe was totally in chaos. Everyone in the cafe started to surround them and whispered to each other. Junka held tight on Rome's arm and she stared into Siwoo's eyes.

"What is wrong with you?!" Rome yelled while wiping the blood that came out from his mouth.

"What's wrong with me? You should ask that question to yourself" Siwoo yelled back and he almost gave Rome another fist to Rome but Junka slightly pushed Siwoo away from Rome so that he wouldn't do anymore harm towards Rome.

"You better go home now Kim Taemin. You are humiliating me, Rome and yourself in front of the public" Junka whispered but the whisper was clearly heard by Siwoo.

Siwoo looked into Junka's eyes. He couldn't believe that Junka was backing up Rome insted of him, her boyfriend. "Like hell I'm going home and letting this guy to kiss you"

"He wasn't kissing me and he wouldn't. Now please go home. You are starting to make things more embarassing" Junka exclaimed while still had her hands on Siwoo's chest.

Siwoo looke into Junka's eyes again. He took a deep breath and rolled her eyes. "Like he wouldn't. You like him and he likes you. From the hug, kiss on forehead, link arms and you think he wouldn't kiss you on your lips" he exclaimed. He pushed Junka's hands that were on his chest down. He fixed the strap of his bagpack and sighed. "Now I doubt if you really love me" he exclaimed and ran out from the coffee shop.

Junka trailed him out until he was no longer in sight. Without she realized it, her tears rolled down her cheeks. Rome looked around him and asked them to get back to their places politely before he approached Junka. He patted on her shoulder and muttered, "Everything's gonna be okay. You are doing this for him and you did well"

Junka put a weak smile on her face. She quickly wiped her tears and said, "Let's go home"

--------------------

For the next 3 days after the accident, Junka didn't come to school. Siwoo didn't ask or call her to ask why she didn't come. He thought that it should be Junka who was supposed to apologize to him for treating him like that but she didn't. Junka never call or text him after the accident. Siwoo had to admit that he miss her so much but he was still mad at what she did with Rome. So he thought, this time, he would show his ego to Junka so that she would know not to play around with him about this kind of thing.

Unfortunately, Junka didn't come for the whole week. Siwoo couldn't stand not to listen to her laugh or her voice. He miss her so much and he wonder if she miss him too. He tried to text her but she didn't receive any reply from her. She tried to call her several times too but there were no answer from home. Finally, he decided to call Minwoo.

"Ahhh noona? She's at home. She's having fever. That is why she didn't come to school. It's good that you call me first. I was about to call you just now" Minwoo explained.

"Why?" Siwoo asked.

"I'm going for a class trip later and I'll be back the day after tomorrow so there's no one to take care of noona. So I guess you would" 

"Ahh okay. I'll be there later"

"I'll text you the house pin number" Minwoo hung up.

 

Siwoo quickly pressed the numbers on the keypad door. When the sound of the pin number accepted, he quickly turned the knob and opened the door. He slowly entered the house and shut the door closed behind him. 

Junka who heard someone was coming in and the sound of the door shut, she quickly ran down the spiral stairs and peeked at the front door. At first she thought it was Minwoo who came back after forgetting something. It surprised her to see who came into the apartment. 

"Going through" Siwoo said as he walked passed Junka who was still surprised by him getting into the apartment. He went straight into the living room. He threw his bag on the couch and landed his on yhe couch. He looked at Junka and smiled.

Junka's jaw dropped open. Her eyes fluttered. She stood still, her arms crossed while looking at her boyfriend comfortably sitting on the couch as if nothing happened before. "What are you doing? How did you enter the apartment? Where did you get the pin" she asked.

Siwoo crossed his legs and spread his arms on the couch as if he was the CEO of a big company. He smiled to Junka and said, "It's lucky to be bestfriend with my girlfriend's brother. I get to know almost everything about my girlfriend"

"Heol Lee Minwoo" Junka sighed.

Siwoo just nodded his head. He tapped the sit beside him on the couch as a sign asking Junka to join him. Junka frowned instead as a refusing sign. He had to get up, held her hand and forced her to sit on the couch. He sat beside her and forced her body to face him. "I have something for you but before that, can you at least put a smile on your face. Don't you miss me?"

Junka rose her eyebrow as if she couldn't believe what Siwoo just said. Of course she did miss him but she had to control herself for his own good. "Mwoya?" Junka asked, not interested.

"Fine" Siwoo pouted. He took the bag he brought with him earlier. She ped it and took out a black box. He put his bag aside while the black box still in his hand. "I hope you like it" he said while slowly opening the lid of the box. 

There was a silver chain charm bracelet in it. There was a love shape locket attached to it. Junka couldn't take her eyes off the bracelet because it was too beautiful for her. She have always like it to wear bracelets. She even had collections of charm bracelets. Siwoo took out the bracelet from the box. He slowly took Junka's hand and put the bracelet on Junka's wrist.

"It fits your hand. Good" Siwoo smiled to himself. "This is a present for humiliating you in front of the public. I know I shouldn't do that to Rome hyung. You know, when you see your loved ones getting away from you, there's no other way you can do other than do your best to proctect them from being taken away. So do you like it?"

Junka looked at the bracelet. She stared at it. She wanted to cry so much but she held it in. There was something curved on the locket. There was 'Kim Taemin' on it. Junka turned her gaze to Siwoo. Siwoo raised his hand and showed the same bracelet he was wearing on her right wrist. There was also a love locket on it and her name was curved on it. Junka took a deep breath and looked away for a moment. She then looked back at Siwoo.

"Why do you think by giving me this would make me feel better? Public humiliation. No one likes that. Do you think this bracelet would change everything?" Junka exclaimed.

"Yah! Can't you appreciate it at least? I am apologizing to you" Siwoo exclaimed.

"Apologizing?" Junka shisshed. "You are supposed to apologize to Yu Barom. You created the scene so you should apologize to everyone involved"

"What is wrong with you? He deserved that punch because he tried to kiss you. You may not see it because you never see anything but I saw it" Siwoo exclaimed. "Now I wonder, why are you on his side? I am your boyfriend and you should be loyal to me and take my sides. Why are you taking his side?" 

"I'm taking his side because you are accusing him" 

"Yeah right. I am really doubting you. Do you really love me or I am just yout other option to get over Yu Barom?" Siwoo exclaimed. "Yeah he is good looking, a good fighter, a brave guy, he can protect whoever he wants to compared to me but am I really just another option? Am I a person who you use to forget Yu Barom? Are you using me to get revenge on Yu Barom?"

"Yah Kim Taemin" Junka exclaimed. "Say whatever you want but yes, I am taking Yu Barom's side. He is supposed have nothing to do in our relationship"

"Then why are you avoiding me and go to him instead?" Siwoo asked, almost yelling. Tears rolled down his cheeks. 

Junka was surprised to see Siwoo started crying. She wanted to burst into tears too but once again she had to held it in. "Fine. If this thing annoys you, let's just break up. I can't have a person who controls who am I supposed to go out with. Plus, I am just your other firend. That is what you told Son Naeun"

Siwoo's eyes widened. He couldn't believe what he heard. "A friend of mine? That was long time ago Lee Junka and you still hold grudge about it? Very mature Junka" Siwoo exclaimed. "You will never see don't you? My love towards you is sincere. Yes, I can't fight like how Barom fights but I promised you that I will protect you no matter what happens. You will never see how I like and felt for you at the first place. You will never see because you are blinded by Yu Barom don't you? I thought you could be loyal but you are just the same as the people around me. My parents ignored  meand I thought by having you by my side would at least brighten my world. My thought was wrong. I should have realized this earlier"

Siwoo took his bagpack and got up from the couch. "I am a complete fool to trust you. I was blind too but thanks to you now I see everything. Perhaps, I am just another option" Siwoo exclaimed. He wiped his tears. "I guess I can't make you to like me. Don't worry. From now on, I won't call you or text you. Neither you or Minwoo. I won't. You can live happily ever after with Yu Barom" he said and walked out of the apartment.

Junka brought her knees to her chest when she heard the front door shut. She hugged her knees and cried hard. She couldn't stop herself because she held it in for too long. She stared at the bracelet she was wearing. She knew that she had succeeded to make Siwoo to hate her. She knew that she would never find someone like Siwoo. She knew that it would be hard for her to make Siwoo to like her back. To make Siwoo to love her back. To make Siwoo to trust her back. To make Siwoo not to leave her again.

 

Siwoo leaned on the bridge. He had a can of beer in his hand. He drank the beer until its last drop. When it was emptied, he slumberly threw the can into the river. He then took out another can from the plastic bag beside his feet and opened the can. He took out his phone from his pocket. He slid the phone unlocked and checked on his gallery. There were a lot of photos of him and Junka. He looked at each photo inside the gallery. He loved the photos. No, he didn't love the photos. He loved the person inside the photo. He wondered how he would forget her. Just because his jealousy over Yu Barom, Junka ended their relationship. It was his first time but Junka already made such drastic decision.

He thought he deserved a second chance but it seems like no to Lee Junka. He sighed. He stopped at a picture which Junka was on a kid's swing, laughing when Siwoo took the picture. She looked pretty in the photo. He stared at the photo and without he realized it, he cried again. He never cry this worst. He was lonely and all by himself before this that he thought crying would be useless but this time, he lost something very precious in his life.

He quickly wiped his tears and called her mum's number. "Omma" he muttered when his mum picked up the phone.

"Ne. Taeminie. Waeyo?" his mum asked.

"Omma" he muttered again. He took a deep breath and his mum could hear that he sounded as if he just cried.

"Waeyo Taemin? Where are you? What happened?" his mum asked, worrying over his son

"Aniyo. It's just. I think I'm going with you to Japan" he said.

His mum cheered on the line. "Finally you made your decision. Gomawo uri adeul. I promise you that this time we will never abondoned you"

A smile curved on his face. "Ne omma. But omma can we go there earlier?"

"Sure but why?"

"I just need to leave this country and leave everything that hurts me behind" he muttured and quickly hung up the phone. He put his phone aside. He then took off the charm bracelet he made for him and Junka. He held it up high and stared at the name that was curved on the locket. It was Junka's name he was staring at. With heavy feelings, he let go off the bracelet into the river. 

----------------------

To be continued...