A Frigid Heart | 8 |

A Frigid Heart

A Frigid Heart

 

Chapter 8

The next morning, Jonghyun awoke earlier than Key. He had a hard time recalling what exactly came over him the other night. He didn’t know what happened, but briefly his disorder had vanished and he was ready to kick everyone of those drunken bastards for touching Key. However, after all of that was finished, he began to shake and tremble because of how close he was to the younger boy, his heart was beating erratically. ‘What is happening to me?’ He thought to himself. He quietly made his way to the dining room; he looked at the brochures of the different classes that he could take. ‘I can’t do this, I’m afraid to do this.’ He thought to himself. The door to Key’s room opened and a very tired Key came out rubbing his eyes. “G-Good morning, Key.” Jonghyun said to the younger, greeting him. Key smiled and uttered, “morning...” The younger sat down next to Jonghyun at the table and noticed the brochures, “what is it? Did you decide on something?” Jonghyun nodded and said, “I don’t want this, I am too afraid to go to these classes.” Key was a little confused, these classes were meant to help people like Jonghyun, so why didn’t he want to go “Jonghyun, why, all of a sudden, don’t you want to go? Aren’t these classes meant to be helpful? It’s ok to be scared, I’ll go with you.” Jonghyun shook his head, “I can’t do it, Key.” Key nodded, “I understand.” The older looked up at the younger. “If you want to do things your way then I can’t stop you, I made a promise to help you and therefore all I can do is support you.” Jonghyun gulped and something inside Jonghyun ignited, his heart began to race, he never felt like this before. Jonghyun smiled and said, “T-thank you, Key.” Key returned the smile and stood from the table and started on the breakfast. Jonghyun leaned back in his chair; his heart was beating against his chest, why now? Why with Key? What is going on? ‘What is wrong with me? Why does my heart beat this way?’ He thought to himself.  “So you want to try and get better yourself?” Key said. The older nodded. “Then lets take it one step at a time. First, you need to start going out more, and not just with me or the others, you need to go out on shopping trips, movies, restaurants, and those other things.” The younger boy instructed. Jonghyun gulped, he'd have to make an effort, Key was right in that regard, but going out, by himself, to all of those places it seemed ridiculous, not to mention impossible. However, if he didn't want to go and get help professionally he had to do it on his own and he had to be brave about it. Jonghyun looked at Key and asked, “Can we start it slowly?” The younger nodded, “of course, but we should start now, the earlier we start the more comfortable you'll become, alright?” Jonghyun nodded and he went into the kitchen to clean his plate and went back to his room.

 

As the morning turned into day and slowly into afternoon, Jonghyun didn't come out of his room, in fact he just stayed there. This made Key worry, 'I thought he wanted help? Why is he still in his room?' He thought. Key got up from his place on the sofa and went to Jonghyun’s room, knocking on the door before walking in he looked at Jonghyun who was sitting on his bed, knees clutched to his chest, “Jonghyun? Are you ok?” Key wondered. “I’m scared, Key. I don’t think I can do this by myself, maybe I should look into those classes.” Key smiled and sat down next to the older, “Jonghyun, what ever you decide to do I will help you through it, ok.” Jonghyun nodded and looked at Key who was sitting next to the older, he felt as though it was too close. “Y-You’re a little close Key.” The younger scooted a bit to get off of the bed, but Jonghyun stopped him, “n-now you’re too far.” Key chuckled and sat a little bit away from Jonghyun, but still within arms reach of him. Key held out his hand to Jonghyun, “here, hold my hand, how much do you trust me?” Key stated. Jonghyun gulped seeing the hand, but his hand moved and placed itself onto Key’s without any hesitation. Key smiled and looked at the older boy who looked back at the younger. “You trust me entirely don’t you?” Key observed. The older showed a small smile and nodded, “well if you do then come out to the park with me, it’s a nice day we can get a picnic ready.” Jonghyun thought about it for a minute before replying, “o-ok.” Key smiled and leapt off of the bed taking the older with him, “come on let’s get the basket together and then I’ll help you get ready ok?” Jonghyun nodded and went with the younger.

 

Once they reached the park, the boys set up their picnic and began to enjoy their lunch. As they ate their lunch, Jonghyun’s eyes darted from one place to another internally panicking. “Jonghyun.” Key’s voice brought him out of his thoughts, “hm? What?” Key smiled and said, “Relax, you’re doing great. Remember, I’m here if you need me.” Jonghyun smiled, he felt so lucky to have Key by his side helping him. “Thank you, Key. If I recover from this, I’m going to need to repay, you.” Key chuckled, “what do you mean “if” you recover? You will recover there are no ifs, ands, or buts, about that.” The older summoned up all he could and sat next to the younger, their hips were too close to touching, their shoulders were side by side, and their arms were just mere inches away from touching. Key smiled, he was happy and relieved that Jonghyun was slowly opening himself up to the world. Now they had to do this a few more times before the older boy was comfortable enough to go out with others, other than Key, and it would take longer for him to go out on his own, but this didn’t bother Key he was happy to help him. “S-say Key, you that new movie coming out next weekend?” Jonghyun asked. Key nodded, “yeah?” “Would you go with me, I’ll pay for it.” Key smiled, “Kim Jonghyun are you asking me out on a date?” Jonghyun blushed, but nodded, “Please come with me-“ “Jonghyun there is no need for begging, of course I’ll go with you.” The older grinned before exclaiming, “You’re the best thank you!”

 

When the sun was setting, Key and Jonghyun packed up their things and began to head home. They were both happy for mainly different reasons, but one reason they shared was that Jonghyun was making progress, even though it was not anything major it was defiantly something big and they both knew it. Things would only go up from here.