Seven

DJ got me falling in Love

▼▼▼

 

"What did you say to those punks?"

Youngjae asks when the police officers left.


"That I'm gonna charge one of them." You smirk.

"Are you?" Youngjae's eyes round.


"No. I'm just scaring them. You know we don't have that kind of money to spend on things like lawsuits."


You reach over to check a particularly bad bruise on his arm.

"Tch." He hisses. "Stop acting like a mom."


You still for a second.


The remark is unintentional but it hurts anyhow.

Youngjae realizes his mistake, his eyes darting to you and then back sheepishly. He opens his mouth to say something but you quickly dismiss it by reminding him again to tell the boss you are not going to work tomorrow.


He starts to protest again but at that moment, your handphone goes off and you promptly pick it up.




"Hello?"

"Hello, is this Choi Ga-eun ssi?" A pleasant female voice chirps from the receiver.


"Yes?"

"I'm calling from JJak and this is to inform you that we've found a match for you and you will be meeting your date tomorrow! Congratulations! We'll be..."

Feeling utterly confused, you cut her off abruptly.

"I'm sorry but I think you've got the wrong person?"


"Wrong p-- ? Wait. Are you Choi GA- EUN ssi?" She emphasizes the name once more. "Born on June 1st, 1989?"

You frown.

"Yes?"


"Er... Oh! Wait! I think the contact person here says I should call the other number instead..."

You can hear the embarrassment in her tone.


"Hold on a second, may I know what is this about a match and date?" You ask.


"Oh, we received your submission to JJak a month ago to find a partner. You are really lucky Ga-eun ssi, to be able to find a match so soon! And..."

"My submission to what?!"

You croak.


"T-To find a partner? A male partner?"

She explains somewhat hesitantly.


"Mal-- You are calling from a DATING agency?"

Something must have gone wrong somewhere.


"Er... Yes. It's stated here that we should call your secretary instead because you might be busy and not pick up your phone... " The lady goes on whilst you try picking up whatever coherency is left in your brain.


"Wait. And my secretary's name is?"

The lady sniggers a little because how can anyone even forget her own secretary's name "Lee Shinae ssi? She advised us to call her if there's any update and we were..."


You stop listening and hangs up.


Shinae.

She better pray that her boyfriend is somewhere near her now, so he can pick up her body after you've murdered her.




❖❖❖

 



"So you signed me up for a date agency and feigned being my secretary?!"

You don't care that you are practically screaming outside Shinae's audit office right now because you are so mad you just want to strangle her.


"Aishh! I told them to call me first..." She begins but quickly hides behind her clear file folder when she sees the imaginary daggers shooting out from your eyes.

"Yah, Ga-eun ah... It's a really good agency!" She rambles. "My friend's cousin's sister and her brother-in-law's colleague also got their partners through the same agency, it's a really efficient and reputable..."


"And so you decide to sign me up without my consent? For what?!" You cry out in disbelief.

Shinae uncowers from behind her file momentarily.

"Because you will never agree to it if I ask you first and come on, Ga-eun ah, it's been like, almost a year? Shouldn't you get to know someone new already?"


"Through a dating agency? Thanks but no thanks. I'll rather do it on my own." You throw your hands up in a guarded position.


"Like how? By working your off twenty four seven? Sorry girl, but I don't see how tracking down sleazy politicians and pompous celebrities is anywhere near to finding a partner of your own. You don't even hang out with friends, really!"

"Don't I hang out with you?" You retort.


"I mean guy friends you idiot," She ignores your rolling of eyes. "You don't allow any male species around you anymore and I don't want to see my best friend die a spinster just because of another idiot who failed to appreciate the awesome woman he left behind."

You soften at this and sighs.


"He used me."


Shinae hesitates a little before continuing.

"You are meant for much better, Ga-eun ah."


Reaching out for one of your hands, she pulls you into a hug.

"See, you were such a warm person before, but... " Shinae holds you gently at arm's length to eye you properly. "So... cold now. And you don't deserve it. You deserve better."


"Maybe I'm cold 'cos it's winter time." You laugh mirthlessly at your own lame joke.


"Just... Listen to me, just.. Try ok?" She gives you an earnest look. "There's no obligations here. It's just a meet-up. Those people that signed up... they are not just in for a fling. They are looking for commitment. Maybe you'll find love there, maybe you'll not. The most important thing is, you are going to give yourself a chance. So, just let go and let God ok?"


"Not everybody is like you and Andy ok." You sigh. The two met in church after Shinae's own version of heartbreak.


Shinae stares at you knowingly and you can feel your defense breaking.

And your best friend knows it, because she pushes the last green button with zest.


"Chocolate mudpie at 7th Heaven's? On me? For tea break?" She grins.

"Aren't you gonna meet your fiance?" You don't object as she throws an arm over you to lead the way to the cafe.


"I've got him for the rest of the night." She lifts a brow suggestively and you fake gagging.




❖❖❖




Kyungsoo almost chokes on his dinner when he hears the news.

"What?! Tomorrow? But I can't do lunch tomorrow!" He wails into the phone.


"But Ma'am said Kyungsoo ssi you have to go..." The poor maid servant sounds almost apologetic.

"It's Yoogeun's birthday tomorrow!" He huffs. Yoogeun is one of the orphans at the children's shelter he and his grandmother frequents and he had promised the little boy he'll personally bake a cake for him on his birthday.


"I'll tell Ma'am you said that, but I don't think she's any good with negotiations on this, Kyungsoo ssi... I'm sorry... So is it a yes?"
She asks expectantly.


Kyungsoo knows it's pointless explaining further and he'll only put her in a tight spot if he refuses.


He sighs.

"Yes, I understand. I'll probably just go earlier and leave in time for the meeting then."

 

 

▲▲▲